Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
OP Offline
Now that I purchased BIAB/RealBand as tools to help with my band/orchestral music composition and trumpet solo backing tracks, I'm trying to figure out what my best soundcard/interface option is.

I have been doing digital recording of my bands for many years (since the mid-nineties) and have a decent amount of gear. Among that is a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra interface, as well as a Zoom R24. However, these are both digital audio interfaces, so I can't imagine that they'd be helping me on the MIDI side of things-bouncing between my notation software and RB.

Would it make more sense to purchase an inexpensive Sound Blaster to use as my dedicated MIDI card, since it has on board soundfont support, etc.? I have found myself using a SB type card in the past for rough playback, even with expensive multi-channel interfaces.

Again, I'm looking at this from the MIDI side of things, not digital audio. Thanks in advance for your help!

Veteran
Veteran
Hard to answer this until we know more about what types of midi devices and how many devices you are using. Are you using multiple keyboards, controllers, rack mounted synths, effects etc? Do you program Change Controls (cc's) into your tracks? Do you drive one midi device from another? If you do any of these, you might want to consider a midi interface, rather than or in addition to, an audio interface. Audio interfaces tend to have limited midi in/outs and thru's.

Traditionally, many have daisy-chained their midi units. In this type of setup you would be limited to 16 channels. If your units are multi-timbral, they could support up to 16 midi channels each. From my experience, driving multiple rack modules by controllers and DAW tracks works much better with midi interfaces.

For example, I tend to use RB more so than BIAB. In my setup, I run 5-6 midi tracks from the RB to control one multi-timbral synth rack, another 2-3 midi tracks to another multi-timbral synth module, a separate midi track to a vocal processor and record my keyboard midi parts on another track.

Just some food for thought.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
Most flexible and cost effective, with best sound quality - get a soft synth. Coyote Forte is my recommendation.

Last edited by jazzmandan; 05/12/14 04:34 AM.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

OP Offline
Thanks for the advice, jazzmandan and Jeff! To be more specific about my usage, my only piece of MIDI equipment is a keyboard, and it's not anything that I'm pulling sounds from-just a controller. I plan to use BIAB/RealBand for three things:

1) To develop ideas for "serious" instrumental composition
2) To improve the sound of MIDI outputs from my notation software by using higher quality patches and editing in RB
3) To put together backing tracks for my trumpet playing (mostly jazz/pop stuff, in this case) for recording and live shows

jazzmandan: We're both in Chicago (I'm a freelancer/teacher in town)! Thanks for the info. on Coyote Forte. I checked out your website and you're doing basically what I plan to do on the trumpet side of things. What's your setup? I see that you're using an M-Audio Audiophile 192. Do you recommend it?

Jeff: What are your thoughts based on my needs

As a sidenote, I ordered the basic BIAB/RB 2014. Now I'm wondering if I should go straight for the UltraPlus Pak 2014, or stick with the Pro/basic and see how things go?

Thanks for your help!

Mark

Veteran
Veteran
Buy as much as you can on your first purchase .. cheaper than adding on later.

Also, all you may need is a MIDI - USB convertor if it is only a single controller:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=midi+usb+cable

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: markmusik

jazzmandan: We're both in Chicago (I'm a freelancer/teacher in town)! Thanks for the info. on Coyote Forte. I checked out your website and you're doing basically what I plan to do on the trumpet side of things. What's your setup? I see that you're using an M-Audio Audiophile 192. Do you recommend it?

Mark

Welcome to the forum Mark, I have a couple of good friends who are trumpet players in the Northwest suburb area where I hang.

So the Audiophile 192 does everything I needed for my home DAW. It has good drives for Win 7. Only problem is it is almost as old as me (well, not quite) but it is a PCI card of the old standard. When I bought my current DAW PC (Dell XPS I7) it had one of the PCI slots and that was several years ago. Today you would have to be careful that the PC had the right slot. Seems today more and more folks go the external USB route for an interface versus the older PCI cards. But if you have the slot and can pick one up one up at a good price it is a very clean and dependable interface.

By the way, here is my good friend Mitch on muted trumpet with me on guitar and BIAB and the Audiophile 192 in action. http://www.jazzmandan.com/audio/Summertime.mp3

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Many keyboards communicate with a computer via a USB port instead of two traditional 5 pin din connectors for midi-in & midi-out. If your keyboard has a USB port visit the manufacturer's website, you may find midi driver available for download or that the keyboard uses drivers already available in your computer's operating system.

If your keyboard has 5 pin midi connectors, midi to usb adaptors are hard to beat. Do a web search and you can find no-names to brand names for between $10 - $50 . The drivers are what makes them special and most of the no-names rely on operating system drivers.

Many people find latency (the time from when a key is depressed to when the sound reaches your ears) is an issue and decide to use a hardware sound source such as the general midi sound module in a keyboard, Keytron SD2, Roland sound canvas, etc. If so then the hardware midi-in port will be connected to the midi out port of your computer.

If you are going to use software synths there are two types multi-timbral software like Forte, Omnisphere by SampleTank and the Roland TTS-1 or VSC or instrument specific. Both have their merits and disadvantages but if cost or cpu resources are important then the multi-timbral products are most likely the better choice.

It is increasingly difficult to find a soundcard that has midi ports or uses Soundfonts. No Creative cards include midi ports. Soundfonts use a standard EMU, Creative or Microsoft no longer support.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Apprentice
Apprentice
I have a cheap ($5) midi to USB adapter as well as a USB audio interface. Both work well for midi, but there is considerable latency when using it with a software synth. My usual setup is to use my keyboard (Korg N364) as both the midi controller and sound source when recording midi. With that setup there is no noticeable latency. Once I'm done recording the midi, I switch the sound source to a soft synth for final mixing and editing.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
Veteran
Veteran
Mark, my thoughts would be this. JazzManDan and Rharv gave some good advice. When starting out...keep it simple, the BIAB and RB software will be challenge enough. Since you don't have a full blown rack synth setup and a single keyboard, going the soft synth (VSTi)route is the most cost effective.

The soft synth that JazzMan mentioned is available through PG Music here on this site and offers sounds that I think you will find applicable for your needs. Latency could be an issue, but we can help you with that.

Perhaps the most important advice came from Rharv. Buy up into the BIAB/RB software packages as high as you can. While you might be initially satisfied with the basic package, I can almost predict that by the second week you'll have wished that you got more. This stuff gets to be pretty addictive and you will not regret spending a little more now. It will save you money in the long run.

You will find that there are many here that have similar interests as yours and that there are many willing to help you. You are not alone on this journey here.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Veteran
Veteran
When it comes to picking an interface, the external interface will always be better than the factory sound card that is in the computer.

Especially for recording music like we do. While the factory card works fine for mp3 and video sound, when you work with multitrack audio and especially soft synths, you need a sound card/ interface that can handle the load and get the music to the speakers in sync regardless of the number of tracks and synths. The factory card can rarely do this.

So.... yeah, Get an external interface. Just be sure to check that it has the following:

1. It should connect with USB
2. It should run native ASIO drivers and not use codecs or wrappers.
3. It should have (at least) 2 high impedance inputs for guitars and 2 low impedance inputs for mics.
4. It should have phantom power for condenser mics
5. It's nice to have a software control panel and DSP FX
6. Be sure it has sufficient outputs to get the signals out to where you need them.

I consider the interface to be the heart of the home studio. So, when you choose one, be sure it fits all the requirements you have currently and may need for any planned upgrades to the studio over the next 5 years.

It's better to spend a few dollars more to get the features you may need, than to save a few bux and go cheap and end up with an interface that doesn't have the ability to do what you need.

My advice: Do your research. Determine your needs. Settle on an interface you think fits that need. Talk to other folks with that same interface and see how well they are liking it. Buy from a store that offers a minimum of 30 days no questions asked full refund in case you are not happy with it.

My 2 cents

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Agree totally with what guitarhacker said. Based on that, I'd recommend looking at the Presonus USB Audiobox. It has what Herb recommended and also has a MIDI interface.

Rich

Windows 10, 64 bit | BIAB 2019 PlusPak | Studio One 2 Artist
OP Offline
Thanks for the advice! I already own a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra interface, which I bought so that I could work on Pro-Tools projects with band mates. I think it ultimately was used to record a single bass track and then shelved to collect dust! However, it does 8 in/8 out and has MIDI (which I didn't know until checking). My original plan was to sell it to subsidize my BIAB/RB purchase. I would get $150-$200 on eBay for it, but maybe I'm best off keeping it for BIAB.

Is anyone else using the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and BIAB?

Last edited by markmusik; 05/14/14 11:10 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Mark,
I think you've confused a lot of people, and possibly even yourself. You're NOT looking for a MIDI Interface, you're looking for a MIDI Sound Generator. HUGE Difference.
By the way, don't get rid of the Fast Track, you'll be able to use that once you get your sound generator!

There are two kinds of Sound Generators, hardware and software. Let's discuss each, starting with software.

Starting with Band In A Box 2014, it is now possible to assign software synthesizers to each track or part in Band In A Box, AND they can be different synths. In fact, if you were to purchase the Garritan Personal Orchestra, or the Garritan Jazz Band, you would be able to assign different instruments to each instrument part. So, you might assign a wooden Acoustic Bass from the Jazz Band to the Bass Part, and a Steinway piano from the Personal Orchestra to the piano part, and strings from the Personal Orchestra to the strings part, or, maybe a brass section from the Jazz Band, if it's a 'Big Band' swing song.
There are hundreds, if not thousands of libraries that can be used with VSTi players, like the Native Instruments Kontact player. Take the same BIAB file, and play it using something like the Coyote Forte DXi synth, and then again, loaded with the Garritan instruments, and it'll be like your trumpet versus a kazoo. The difference will startle you.
But, there is a drawback. You pay for quality sounds, and you may pay a lot. For Personal Orchestra 4 and Jazz and Big Band 3, you're looking at $300. Then, you have to load the synths and the patches each time you want to play a song. I love my Garritan products, and I can't wait to play with them with my new version of BIAB, but it's kind of a struggle sometimes to get everything set up.

Now, hardware is MUCH easier. Simply plug the MIDI or USB cable into the computer or MIDI interface, which your Fast Track Ultra already has, turn it on, and go. But, you're stuck with ONLY the sounds that come in that particular sound generator. Some inexpensive ones only have just General MIDI and General MIDI 2 sound sets, some of them may have 1,000 sounds.

PG Music sells the Roland SD50 Sound Canvas, which has over 1,100 sounds. http://www.pgmusic.com/rolandsd50.win.htm You'll probably find the sound that will work for you in that.

That SD-50 would work very nicely in your setup, and you could use your MIDI Controller keyboard to play it, but personally, I would be looking at a keyboard that has the sounds built into . Furthermore, because of my lack of playing skills, I like 'arranger keyboards' and some of the latest ones have some pretty awesome features, as well as truly professional level sounds.

My last keyboard was a Korg PA80. It's a great keyboard with good sounds.

This is "On Green Dolphin Steet" using Band In A Box's JDolfin style and the soloist feature. ALL sounds are from the PA80.

If you don't mind spending a few more dollars, look at the Korg PA600, which is the baby brother to my PA800.

Yamaha also makes excellent Arranger Style keyboards.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-PSRS650-ARRANGER-KEYBOARD-WORKSTATION-NEVER-USED-MINT-/221442366848?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item338efe5d80

Anyway, what you're looking for is a Sound Generator. Whether you go with a box like the SD-50, or a new or used Yamaha or Korg keyboard, you'll have great sounds without the hassles of having to load them every time you want to play a song, and with an arranger keyboard, you can just sit down and play without ever turning you computer or studio on.

Gary

Last edited by Gary Curran; 05/18/14 11:07 PM.

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,605
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194