Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#250872 05/23/14 11:55 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There's been a lot of talk in a bunch of threads about "the way things used to be".
Or what they are.
Or what they should be.

So here's a song about... stuff...

...regrets? ...maybe....maybe not....

THE WIRE     (new mix uploaded - 5/23/14 7:35)

it's been a while since i've been this way
i've been tied up ..had nothing much to say
i kept to myself...taking it day by day

i know there's talk that i'd given up
a time or two, hell, i thought as much
but i'm still here... just a little out of touch

there's a lot i'd do different
    if i could do it all again
    a whole lot more i wouldn't do at all
    the best that i can hope for
    is one more chance up on that wire
    i'd walk it like i'm not afraid to fall

i wanted her with all my heart
i can't deny she held up her part
but i came up short... a little off the mark

it's not her fault... she deserved the best
i let her down.. i really must confess
and she turned away... finally had enough, i guess

there's a lot i'd do different
    if i could do it all again
    a whole lot more i wouldn't do at all
    the best that i can hope for
    is one more chance up on that wire
    i'd walk it like i'm not afraid to fall

The band....

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1164:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm CelticReel Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 1608:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealTracks in song: 630:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm PopAmericanDirty Ev 120 (A:arp)
RealTracks in song: 834:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryMoody Ev 075 (B:arp)
RealTracks in song: 1948:Mandolin, Rhythm PopUpliftingAndy Ev16
RealTracks in song: 1169:Guitar, Electric, Soloist RockMediumBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1273:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopUplift Ev16 120
RealDrums in Song: PopPromiseEv16^1-a: Snare on 4, HiHat , b: Snare, Open HiHat

The harmonies are me.

Comments of any kind.
Have at it.

floyd

Last edited by floyd jane; 05/23/14 04:38 PM.
floyd jane #250887 05/23/14 03:01 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Very nice writing about a tough subject we all have had happen at least once in our lives.

BD is nice and strong and the harm's are very nice.

Be careful what you wish for it's a long way down!

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
floyd jane #250890 05/23/14 03:28 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
You always put out a great sounding song. Simple but effective lyrics and excellent vocal. I like the wall-of-guitar sound. How do you get that drum sound?

Keep on Rockin'
Sonny Ray
floyd jane #250894 05/23/14 03:52 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

Very nice job. I like everything about it except one thing... There's something about the way the guitar solo is sitting in the mix... don't know if it's too hot or maybe a little too dry, it's just not sitting as well as everything else is. confused It could just be me! grin Other than that I think this is outstanding. The drums sound fantabulous!

Greg

floyd jane #250895 05/23/14 04:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi there Floyd,

Cool song, and very nice vocal harmonies. We like the drive in this song. Both soloist tracks work very well, so does the acoustic rhythm guitar.
We haven't tried the High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm yet, but it's a great addition.

Regards,
R & AM

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

floyd jane #250899 05/23/14 04:32 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd. I think the lyrics and the voice are magnificent.
( sticks neck out ). Oooops.
Would like to hear a more intimate / folky / basic country version.
Cheers.

floyd jane #250903 05/23/14 04:45 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
DA - thanks, man... somehow, I knew you would like that kick...

Sonny - Thanks... the kick sound is part RT, part processing. PopPromiseEv16 has a very strong kick to begin with. I hit the entire track with a preset in Studio One designed for a single track drum group (what RealDrums are). That includes a Multiband Dynamic (compressor) and an EQ (fairly standard drums settings). I added a little reverb to it...

Greg - So nice to see you! Where ya been??? Thanks for the suggestion. There was something about the lead that was bugging me. I added some reverb and just uploaded that... if you happen back this way, let me know if that helped... always opened to worthwhile suggestions...

floyd jane #250904 05/23/14 04:50 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rob and Anne-Marie - nice of you to drop by... one of the great things about the Showcase is getting ideas from what people are putting into their song. I think this may be the first time I've used the HighStrung... Oh...btw...one of the solo RT tracks, I used just for its holds - they provide the basis of the chorus sound - so it's not used as a solo at all...

Richard - it is interesting that you say that. I did first production of this that was more acoustic - more of a "songwriter production" - I was doing it while the discussion about the "modern Country sound" was going on, so I decided to go that direction....

Perhaps, I'll add a link to the other production (if I still have it)..
So check back later...

Last edited by floyd jane; 05/23/14 04:55 PM.
floyd jane #250909 05/23/14 05:44 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
New mix sounds sweet!

When ever I have an issue with something not listen to me I use a "LA 76" and we see eye to eye after that.

Keep jammin Bro..

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
floyd jane #250914 05/23/14 06:45 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Nice song, vocals and harmonies. I enjoyed the song and think the new mix tightened things up.

Regards,

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #250919 05/23/14 07:52 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK...

Richard, this is for you... and anyone else who might be interested.
I did a "simpler" production of this at first. Fairly standard fair...
Very predictable...

It does show how the same song can be done in different ways to give totally different feels...

THE WIRE - version 1...

..and the "other" band...

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: ~1677:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 408:Guitar, Resonator, Background Allis Ev 120
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass: a: Sidestick,

I played an acoustic guitar track...

floyd jane #250920 05/23/14 08:03 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I really like this one to, very touching and intimate.

it's not her fault... she deserved the best
i let her down.. i really must confess
and she turned away... finally had enough, i guess

I could have sworn I heard the words "I'd say' for "i guess"

Hey it getting late!

DA...

floyd jane #250926 05/23/14 09:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Alan here .. Di's been sleeping for hours!

I listened to both versions and like them equally well. it would depend on the intended audience/project that would sway me one way or the other.

On the full production, the song stopped playing just as the lead was coming in. Reloaded and refreshed, etc., but never could get it to go beyond that point. Can't tell you the time as your "play bar" disappeared, too.

Regardless, what I heard of the full production was great, as was the "simple" singer-songwriter version. You always put up nothing but the very best of material. We always know we're in for a treat when we click onto one of your songs. Kudos on both tracks!

Alan (Di, too!)

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

floyd jane #250932 05/23/14 10:11 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Hey Floyd. What a lovely suprise. The simpler version speaks more directly to me. The focus is more on the lyrics, the heartfelt geniune delivery and the phrasing feels more natural to me.

Shirley-Louise likes both versions equally and wants you to come to New Zealand!
Thanks.
Cheers.

Last edited by RichMac; 05/24/14 12:39 AM.
floyd jane #250957 05/24/14 05:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, Another beautifully crafted song. I listened yesterday and and I thought the same thing as Greg about the lead. It sits in there now. My vote goes to the full production. I especially like the transition from the holds. You continue to inspire and show us what can be done with these real tracks when in the hands of an expert. Great mix ,choice of instruments,vocals. The arrangement may be the best part of another outstanding creation. Tom

floyd jane #250973 05/24/14 07:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work....

The production on this is really well done. Going from acoustic based to full band and back to acoustic and finally ending with acoustic guitar.

I really like the choice of drums. I've been using the "promise" style tracks quite a bit too since they are not just standard "keep the beat" stuff. I love crossing genre's.

The guitars sound good. Although, the solo did have a few aspects to it that made it not quite set as well as it should have into the mix, as someone else observed as well. Nothing glaringly obvious..... just a subtle thing.

Very good job overall.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
floyd jane #250979 05/24/14 08:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I'd walk it like I'm not afraid to fall" - love that Floyd. Sounds great here.

Josie

floyd jane #250986 05/24/14 09:14 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I like both versions too. Nice to be able to hear how you added instruments to the original Version 1 arrangement to give it that uptown modern country sound and feel showing that a melody and lyrics this good can work in many musical settings. I can hear a "one man and his guitar" version, and a female version with the appropriate words changed.

P.S. Thanks for the tips about the drums.

Keep on Rockin'
Sonny Ray
floyd jane #250995 05/24/14 10:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I like both versions but prefer the 'full version'. I'd like to quote Tom: Great mix, choice of instruments, vocals. The arrangement may be the best part of another outstanding creation."
You gave me some great listens.

Guenter

floyd jane #251006 05/24/14 01:27 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really nice work....again!!! Love the way the instruments work. Love the feel of the song. Love the message and spirit. The one thing I would change is resolving the chorus on the one chord instead of the five. In the second chorus, I think you could sing the last line finishing on the 5 first, and then finish on the one on the repeat of the final phrase. Just a thought. Great work as usual! Take care. Greg

Last edited by Greg Johnson; 05/24/14 05:43 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,564
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200