Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi folks, hope all of you are enjoying the summer.

Some sad news prompts me to drop in from my sabbatical. The name Horace Silver may not be familiar to many Forum members but I have a picture of him hanging in my office, along with pictures other slightly lesser figures: bassist George Mraz, Wes Montgomery, singer Abbie Lincoln. His pivotal stature in jazz is described in the following London Telegraph obituary, which features some great pics of Horace.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10911698/Horace-Silver-obituary.html

For this post I put together a quick performance of a big band arrangement of one of his truly powerhouse tunes (other details are in the SoundCloud notes). Even if you don't like jazz, you'll like the brevity of my solo.

BB Style: JAZZFAST (t=290).
RealDrum Styles: ChaChaFull^8, Jazz #1 and RockEven8.

Listen to Nutville https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/nutville-w-surround

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great. Very good mix with some outstanding guitar chops.

This is a keeper!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean,

nice to have you back.
Great playing. (Brass, piano and guitar).
You're exceeding your standards.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Alec !:))

Enjoying winter you mean ?
We should be in the middle
of our warmest period and the
temp is around 13 degrees C ? (LOL)!
In any case, I loved this tune
and especially your guitar work !
Superb as always !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Never heard of Horace but I love this!! I am a huge fan of Wayne Shorter from what I have heard (Steely Dan, Don Henley, Joni Mitchell)-the guy just makes the instrument cry, or talk. This is a very cool piece. Thanks for sharing!! Take care. Greg

BTW, killer guitar work, as usual!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
One of your best, Dean!

Very enjoyable listen. Terrific playing...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great playing Dean and a fine tribute. I remember him from a jazz doc that we watched -- don't remember which one. Glad to see you back -- albeit, I suppose, briefly.

J/B

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice guitar and arrangement. In college we got our Horace Silver introduction learning to improvise over "song for My Father". Thanks for sharing the wonderful tribute. -Patrick

Last edited by nobilis; 07/02/14 08:36 PM. Reason: Spellcheck
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dean, good to hear you back, as usual great tune and performance. Yes a shame his passing but he had been in a delicate shape lately. A staple for the Blue Note label and yet, not a widely known musician, although a good one. One of my favorite tunes is "Song for my father".

Welcome back

Mike B.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Enjoyed the typical big band sound and the flowing boppy guitar. Great arraingment. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dean,

+1 to what's already been said. Great stuff.

BTW, what are you using for those horns?

Josie

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi nice people of da Forum!

Josie: You asked what I was using for horns. That would be Joe Sarno trumpet, Carl Gault tenor sax, and Ron Brown trombone. My arrangement.

Dani: We must be both under the same climate zone. I live 4.5 miles from the Atlantic ocean and the water is still so cold that our high temperature so far has been 77 degrees (F). The only positive feature I can think of is that our hurricanes use hot water for energy - meaning that they can't get too far - north, that is.

Floyd, Mike and the gang: Unfortunately the above comments don't apply to you guys. But thanks for your positive comment on Nutville.

Mike - you were right about Horace's health. Alzheimer's. I did like your Horace tribute. Nice changes, good concept.

To Janice and Bud, Mario, Guenter, Nobilis, Greg and RichMac I want to extend a most grateful Thank You. Those hearing the music of Horace Silver for the first time justifies the effort.

OK, back to my "sabbatical." Maybe they'll decide not to cancel summer after all.

Dean

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,514
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195