Options
Index
#255956 - 07/10/14 06:18 PM [User Showcase] SWING DOWN
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

SWING DOWN

The origins of Swing Down are unknown. The earliest version that I’ve found simply listed it as traditional. I strongly suspect that it originated as an African-America spiritual. The Golden Gate Quartet recorded it in the 1940’s, the Blackwood Brothers in the 1950’s and Elvis in the 1960’s. The song is fully documented as being in the public domain.

I’ve wanted to do a bluegrass version for many years and finally got to it. Although we start the song with an a cappella line from Swing Low Sweet Chariot, it is not the same song. This one rocks!

The song ended up at 16 tracks and multiple diced/spliced generations of the solo instruments so I was VERY happy when floyd jane took on the mixing of the vocals and the final mastering leaving me with the instrumental tracks. I love RT’s and when working in a genre, i.e., bluegrass, for which I am very familiar I’ll often end up with one track being a composite of 5-7 originals. I came close to playing bass on this one but finally got the right compression on the RT to balance it out. We've been off in blues/rock/western swing land for a while and getting back to bluegrass was interesting -- really different approach to the mixing. I love it all!

A bit time shoutout to floyd for the harmonies and the vocal mix and advice on the whole project.

Hey Dani, you sing bass?

Thanks for taking your time to listen to some traditional bluegrass and we appreciate comments.

Janice: lead/harmony vocals and vocal arrangement
floyd: Harmony vocals (four), vocal mix, effects and final project mastering
Bud: RT arrangements, effects and mixing.

All RT’s are from the bluegrass sets

Bass: Composite of 592
Guitar Rhythm: 598
Guitar Solo: Composite of 597
Mandolin Rhythm: 599
Mandolin Solo: 820
Banjo Rhythm: Composite of 589
Banjo Solo: Composite of 591
Fiddle Rhythm: 594
Fiddle Solo: Composite of 596

Edited by Janice & Bud (07/10/14 06:36 PM)
J&B Website

#255962 - 07/10/14 07:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Wow, that was fun!! Very cool and different rendition. Reminds me of when James Taylor and Carly Simon morphed Mockingbird into a totally different vibe. Very good work! Thanks for sharing. Take care. Greg

#255967 - 07/10/14 09:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This song's rocking beat was really popular with the southern Gospel quartets at dinner on the ground all day sings when I was a kid. And Elvis' record of it - my big sister and I wore that album out. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

I really enjoyed everything about your bluegrass version.

Got my feet tapping.

Loved it.

Josie

#255974 - 07/10/14 11:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
That is bluegrass as it should be done. Enjoyed the performance and appreciate the talent displayed in both the performance and production technique.

Charlie

#255986 - 07/11/14 12:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Janice, Bud, and Floyd,

I know <cough> slightly different words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot from my College days and I have to say I have never heard such a foot tapping version.

And I know what you mean about Dani on bass....that would be interesting!

Excellent

Alyn

#255991 - 07/11/14 01:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Really lovely. Before I got BIAB I was never a fan of bluegrass but this amazing product and this wonderful forum full of folk like you has opened my ears to a whole different side of music. And I love it. Thank you!

#256004 - 07/11/14 04:34 AM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
A great job by Janice Bud and Floyd. A reminder of the 40's and gospel on the radio. Love acapella from that era. Cheers.

#256030 - 07/11/14 08:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Sundance]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Wow, that was fun!! Very cool and different rendition. Reminds me of when James Taylor and Carly Simon morphed Mockingbird into a totally different vibe. Very good work! Thanks for sharing. Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg...we're not really breaking new ground here. Bluegrass has a long tradition of taking songs from other genres and making them their own. And southern gospel and bluegrass have a pretty common song list. We appreciate the comments and glad you liked it!

Originally Posted By: Sundance
This song's rocking beat was really popular with the southern Gospel quartets at dinner on the ground all day sings when I was a kid. And Elvis' record of it - my big sister and I wore that album out. Thanks for bringing back fond memories.

I really enjoyed everything about your bluegrass version.

Got my feet tapping.

Loved it.

Josie

Thanks Josie!! It's very cool to learn that you've listened to this song in the southern gospel permutations. The Blackwood Brothers really rocked it. And if you get a chance check out the Gold Gate Quartet's version on YouTube. Glad you enjoyed it. We had fun putting it together.
J&B Website

#256048 - 07/11/14 12:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a great collaboration! It really rocks.
And the ending knocks me off the chair.
Good idea to get Dani on bass. Next song, maybe?

Guenter

#256068 - 07/11/14 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: gibson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
That is bluegrass as it should be done. Enjoyed the performance and appreciate the talent displayed in both the performance and production technique.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie! The hardest part for me with a BG production is getting the transitions re split solos. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Bud, and Floyd,

I know <cough> slightly different words to Swing Low Sweet Chariot from my College days and I have to say I have never heard such a foot tapping version.

And I know what you mean about Dani on bass....that would be interesting!

Excellent

Alyn

Thanks Alyn...now you got my imagination running wild...well not too wild as even though it was during the 60's I remember the college years!
J&B Website

#256074 - 07/11/14 05:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
It's all been said so all that I can add is this is outstanding!

You did a great job on the instrumentation and the vocals are top notch all the way.

great job!

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#256091 - 07/11/14 07:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: JoanneCooper]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JosieC
Really lovely. Before I got BIAB I was never a fan of bluegrass but this amazing product and this wonderful forum full of folk like you has opened my ears to a whole different side of music. And I love it. Thank you!

Cool. Really glad you liked it!!
Bluegrass is just folk music in overdrive!
J&B Website

#256099 - 07/11/14 07:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

B & J& floyd, There is a lot to like here. Janice=great vocal and harmonies. Bud = great arrangement and mix. Also terrific editing on the solos. That can be very time consuming. floyd=great bg vocals and mix. Mastering is nice and clean. The banjo sounds especially good here. It is always the loudest in the band. Ain't that right Bud? The ending is fantastic. A super job again by the three of you. Tom

#256107 - 07/11/14 08:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
I love Elvis' version of this, he has some competition now, very superbly done in all areas' thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#256129 - 07/11/14 10:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Wow!But then again, with these three names in the song nothing but a masterpiece is expected, and it sure is!

Mike B.

#256164 - 07/12/14 08:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: boehm]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: RichMac
A great job by Janice Bud and Floyd. A reminder of the 40's and gospel on the radio. Love acapella from that era. Cheers.

Thanks! Yep, that was some great music from that period.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

what a great collaboration! It really rocks.
And the ending knocks me off the chair.
Good idea to get Dani on bass. Next song, maybe?

Guenter

Thanks Guenter! The stop and a cappella at the end sort of evolved toward the end of the arrangement. Glad you liked it.
J&B Website

#256201 - 07/12/14 05:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: tommyad]
PatrickH Offline
Apprentice

Originally Posted By: tommyad
B & J& floyd, There is a lot to like here. Janice=great vocal and harmonies. Bud = great arrangement and mix. Also terrific editing on the solos. That can be very time consuming. floyd=great bg vocals and mix. Mastering is nice and clean. The banjo sounds especially good here. It is always the loudest in the band. Ain't that right Bud? The ending is fantastic. A super job again by the three of you. Tom

I will +1 Tom's comment and add a big Amen!

#256227 - 07/12/14 07:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Bud & Janice & Floyd !!:))

I really dig what you´ve
all done here !:))
To say it shortly: Terrific !!!

and....yes I am a II bass !:))

Cheers
Dani

PS: I like gospel music and
I hoped I could do Oh Happy Day
together with some others who also
like it but, the song is in fact
copyrighted ! (sic!)

#256279 - 07/13/14 12:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: tommyad]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: MarioD
It's all been said so all that I can add is this is outstanding!

You did a great job on the instrumentation and the vocals are top notch all the way.

great job!

Thanks! We appreciate you noting the instruments and the vocals.

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Thanks Tom! Yep those solos were tedious and, yep, the banjo and mando chop have to carry the rhythm on an up temp BG tune like this. Thanks for noting the vocals. Floyd and Janice did good on them.
J&B Website

#256290 - 07/13/14 04:05 PM [User Showcase] Re: SWING DOWN [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Janice and Bud...

Thank you for letting me be a part of this.

I am so dang proud to call you both "friend". I love doing music with you guys! It is always interesting, fun and professional in every way.

Y'all are the best!

floyd

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28447 Members
58 Forums
55272 Topics
460413 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
saxmanz, dewar, claytonkyra, Warren G, Raymond Carrasco

28446 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 359
Pipeline 335