Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The image below is one I am currently running on my FB page. I picked it up from another music related site but added the graphic "Unless it is a Charity Event Don't Play For Nothing!"

I see and hear of many musicians falling into the trap (well I think it is a trap) set by club owners/,managers who (again in my opinion) are playing on every musician's "need to perform" gene. The offer goes something like this, "you come in and build up a crowd and then we will talk money".

Just wondering on how a cross section of my fellow musicians here on PG Music Forums feel about this. Now my gut tells me us seasoned cats, yes I mean older, will say hell no man . . . let me and my family try your food for a week and if we like it, then we can talk money.

Opinions welcomed and feel free to elaborate.

Thanks and later ladies and germs,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah had that phase Danny, though thankfully not too often. I don't mind doing freebies as long as I know in advance. Charitable work actually helped to build up my gigs so its a good way to start at least

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
When we were playing out the only free gigs were at the VA hospitals. Some of those charities that want you to play for free have mega bucks!

We would never play in a club for free! We did have more gigs than we could play but even without those we wouldn’t play for free.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
It is the same in every business! I remember how much free work we did when we first started our business. And almost without exception those free jobs NEVER resulted in money. Whatever they pay is how much they value your work and once you agree its value is nothing...well, there you are!

I even disagree somewhat with the disclaimer above about charity events! The charity employees who run the events typically get paid a salary. And they know that running a successful event always costs money (even though it would be nice it everything were donated usually that ain't the case!) You should at least get all your costs covered and you should get plenty of free promotion.

Bottom line...don't work for free unless it is just about having fun, helping out, etc.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The line that gets me is, "We don't have any budget for music."

Well, no. It means they didn't allocate anything for music when THEY made the budget. They made that choice. You then must make yours, but help them to see their error, regardless.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
we identify ourselves by our choices.

Desperate is as desperate does. If you want to be seen as desperate, then do what a desperate person does... play for free.

Having said that, I've heard more than one good band say that when they were touring, they made more money busking than they made at the clubs on their itinerary. This could be a statement about who values the musicians more... the club owners.. or the average joe on the street

But ultimately it *IS* about perceived value. You can't sell anything for more than the other person thinks its worth.

added thought: the function of advertising is to inflate the perceived value of a product and make it desirable.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 05/17/14 01:54 PM. Reason: added a thought
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Good points guys, especially beware of some charities, been there with a local charity for years, one rare one that gave 100% of everything collected to the cause. No salaries, no expenses, if you volunteered for this charity all you got was thanks and hugs.

Those are very rare indeed. But in today's world I also realize that some major charities who do great things also pay a CEO and other expenses. Can't throw all of them out with the wash water as many the likes of the Red Cross, Wounded Warriors and St, Jude. Not trying to push any charity on anyone, just an observation, please take it as such.

Later,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Danny, those aren't 'musicians'. There is another word for them, but since this is a family-friendly site, I won't use the term. grin

I don't think that pros are really that concerned with bottom-feeders, whether they are club managers or “musicians”. Decent venues rarely conduct their businesses like that. They know there is a difference between a bottom-feeding wanabee and someone who plays for a living.

What is of greater concern to me is the general state of the business. This Play For Free phenomenon is only the tip of the iceberg. Smoking bans, DUI prosecutions and the internet have killed the club/live music business. There just aren't that many jobs anymore, and the pay is largely the same as it was 30 years ago. I don't have to tell you that. Adjusted for inflation, we're making less now than we made in the 70's.

This has created a real dog-eat-dog atmosphere out there. We actually had another band jump our booking last week. Cost us $300. Sure, we got more bookings from the club, but we can't recover that 300 – it's a loss, and we had wasted a booking date.

For those who assume that music is “just like any other business”, I would strongly disagree. In what other business are you fired the minute you get hired, uncertain of payment, frequently robbed and have to deal with unscrupulous club owners and other musicians?

Play for free? Sure, at a VA hospital or for the charities you mentioned. For a club? Not bloody likely. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Been there, done that..... not once, but many times. Having said that, you really got to admit that many of the places that are asking this of you are not going to pay you much even when they do agree to "talk money"...and on the flip side, many of the bands and artists that will play there for free are worth exactly what they are being paid....... in other words... nothing.

I looked at those free and cheap gigs this way: The band was new, and we needed to try our stuff in front of an audience to see what tended to work and what didn't. Those hole in the wall places were like the McDonald and Burger King fast food minimum wage jobs. They got you in the door and sometimes you could even make some money. At least covering gas. Heck, I've played a few "paying gigs" where the band leader handed me $5 at the end of the night. That didn't cover gas.

The goal, just like the burger flipper job was not to make it a career but simply as a starting point to the higher paid gigs in a few months.

I do recall doing a few "auditions" in some of the clubs. But that was a bit different. These were the clubs that had the biggest and best local bands, paid good money, drew good crowds, and hired no band unheard. You auditioned for free or you didn't play there and they didn't go to hear you in the next town.

On one of those gigs, the deal was play one set. I hire you if I like you, and if I don't hire you, don't call me for at least a year. DEAL! So we showed up and played. He was charging a buck a head for guys, ladies free on a Wed evening. At the end of the set he says, hey, if you play a second set, I'll give you the door receipts. We discussed it and played the second set. We covered the gas and beer and landed several really nice paying middle of the week gigs. He never booked a new band on the weekend until they had a local following. This was a large beach town main street club, and it was "the place" to play on weekends.

If the goal is to use those gigs on a temporary basis, as a stepping stone, then sure....play them if you want. Just don't make a career out of playing free or cheap.

There was a time, at least locally in NC when a good band could make good money. Those days are gone. I lived in a town with a large military base and that town and base supported numerous bands, several of us were full time and the rest were weekend guys. Once the NC DUI laws changed, the club scene started to deteriorate. Then came the DJ's and more clubs stopped using live bands. The military base has now stopped using live bands.
I was talking to a buddy from that town recently on FB. The club scene is nearly dead. The base isn't booking and the civilian clubs use DJ's or jukeboxes.... he said the pay grade for bands is abysmal. You're lucky to make a hundred for the weekend.

I know that locally, here in this town, there used to be several nightclubs that used live bands. now, there are none. The sub shop and there's an expensive boutique restaurant that occasionally books small bands and singles. I'm sure the pay there is tips and a meal.

Live music is in bad shape right now. I certainly would not want to be out there trying to pay my bills from it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
We do a free gig at the nursing home section at the VA hospital every year, and occasional charities that I believe in.

If it is a profit making place (bar, restaurant, etc.) I do not play for free. In addition, I boycott any commercial establishment that hosts an 'open mic' night and IMHO exploits musicians 24/7. They will never-ever get a penny from me.

If the waiters, bartenders, dishwashers, owners, bookkeepers, janitors, managers, are all getting paid, I see no reason to ask for free music. That equals exploitation and is disrespectful to musicians.

This has been around the block a few times, but worthy of a repeat.

The next time you are asked to play for free:

Ad:

We are a small & casual restaurant downtown and we are looking for solo musicians to play in our restaurant to promote their work and sell their CD. This is not a paying job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get positive response. More Jazz, Rock, & smooth type music, around the world and mixed cultural music. Are you interested to promote your work? Please reply back ASAP.

A Musician’s Reply:

Happy new year! I am a musician with a modest house looking for a restauranteur to come to my house to promote his/her restaurant by making dinner for me and my friends. This is not a paying job, but only for special events which will eventually turn into a nightly event if we get a positive response. More fine dining & exotic meals and mixed Ethnic Fusion cuisine. Are you interested to promote your restaurant? Please reply back ASAP.

There are a number of 'open mic' bars in our area, it is becoming a sad trend, and unfortunately there are enough musicians who do not respect themselves enough to play them.

A few of them have gone out of business, IMO because the public doesn't want to see a bunch of musicians get on stage, figure out what they know in common and play the same old songs in various shades of mediocrity.

One bar asked local bands to play a weekend for free. They made it seem like a contest: The band that brings the biggest crowd will get a 3 month contract. This went on until they ran out of bands that wanted to play for free, and nobody ever got hired. When he couldn't find any more bands to exploit, he got a line dance teacher to come in and play CDs and teach line dancing for free - until that failed.

Do we ask Plumbers to work for free? Carpenters? Investment Managers? Taxi Drivers? Secretaries? CEOs? Ship Captains? Doctors? Nurses? Policemen? Soldiers? Store Clerks? Technicians? Engineers? Lawyers? Sanitation Workers? News Reporters? Bridge Tenders? Schoolteachers? Social Workers? Bankers? etc. etc. -- then why expect Musicians to work for free?

Just say "No" to free gigs.

Obviously I feel very strongly about this subject.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Danny

I was considering whether to reply to this thread or not because I do something different and may be opening a huge can of worms.

While I would never dream of playing at a club or restaurant for free I do play at a farmers market on a Saturday morning for which I do not get paid BUT I see it more as “busking”. People give me tips, take my cards and buy my CDs. I have had two corporate gigs from those markets. Those guys Schnapps and Louise on the Jelly last night got to know my music through this market (they are personal friends but didn’t know I played).

I feel I am gaining big time by consistently playing there. They would not have a musician there if they had to pay one. The way I look at it is that I am quite lucky because all the other vendors have to pay for their stands while I just pitch and play for a couple of hours then go home. I sometimes practice the set I am going to do on the Jelly that night. I am not obliged to play every Saturday (not being paid) which leaves to free to go and do my sailing when there are regattas.

To me it is a bit like playing on the Jelly. I do it because it is good for me and I ENJOY IT. If I get tips then that is great but I am not expecting it and won’t give up if the tips don’t flow.

So for me it is a win, I DO HOPE I am not damaging live music for other musicians by doing so.

Btw, the worst is when you are expected to play for free AND bring 10 friends with you. I went to an open mike the other night and the girl said she would love to invite me to the songwriters evening if I could bring 10 friends!!!!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"So for me it is a win, I DO HOPE I am not damaging live music for other musicians by doing so."

Busking is not playing for free. If you're any good, you can make some bread busking. Depends on the site. Mallory Dock at Key West, Harborplace in Baltimore, The Cannery in San Francisco, and others – there are buskers making very good money. There are many buskers who travel the world performing in the street.

We've been busking for many years. We even have a battery-powered PA – mics, guitar amp, bass amp, and it sounds great. Blows people's minds to see a duo on the street with live guitar and bass and backing tracks!

And, of course, BIAB makes the best backing tracks. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Somehow, I feel like the oddball in this conversation.

I live in 1 of 18 Nursing Homes owned by the same for-profit corporation. I see nearly nothing being allocated to patient entertainment so I'm attempting an end-run around the corporation out of my love and concern for the patients who have absolutely nothing to say in budgetary matters yet deserve some quality entertainment.

I have no intention to dilute the value of any band or solo entertainer by asking friends to play here for free but, unfortunately, it comes down to free versus none.

I think entertainment money is available but is currently being diverted to beautification, plants, and outdoor detailing. They are currently doing a multimillion dollar remodeling which will provide them an excuse to cry "poverty".

So I'm left with a dilemma; To ask my countless musician friends worldwide to entertain pro bono, or, conversely, to watch the elderly patients with Alzheimer's, Dementia, Chronic Pain, Hospice (end of life) Patients, withdraw further into mental darkness without the stimulation provided by music, the only activity that utilizes 100% of the brain. I choose the former.

Perhaps a deciding factor - there is still room here for your mother!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Somehow, I feel like the oddball in this conversation.

I live in 1 of 18 Nursing Homes owned by the same for-profit corporation. I see nearly nothing being allocated to patient entertainment so I'm attempting an end-run around the corporation out of my love and concern for the patients who have absolutely nothing to say in budgetary matters yet deserve some quality entertainment.

I have no intention to dilute the value of any band or solo entertainer by asking friends to play here for free but, unfortunately, it comes down to free versus none.

I think entertainment money is available but is currently being diverted to beautification, plants, and outdoor detailing. They are currently doing a multimillion dollar remodeling which will provide them an excuse to cry "poverty".

So I'm left with a dilemma; To ask my countless musician friends worldwide to entertain pro bono, or, conversely, to watch the elderly patients with Alzheimer's, Dementia, Chronic Pain, Hospice (end of life) Patients, withdraw further into mental darkness without the stimulation provided by music, the only activity that utilizes 100% of the brain. I choose the former.

Perhaps a deciding factor - there is still room here for your mother!

Don,

Maybe you could ask your musical friends to play for you online, ala Street Jelly?

If we weren't on the other side of the universe, we'd come and play for sure.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, in fact some (Summer Russell and several tentative, including Danny) are coming to visit/meet me and entertain patients.

It's often been said here that there are greater rewards than money. As a theft deterrent, we are not allowed to carry cash so that even knocks out tipping. It is something best motivated by love from the abundance of a willing heart. In which case, there is no amount of money that even approaches an Alzheimer patient's smile.

I would love to meet you in person but money constrains make that highly unlikely.

Nokie Edwards (Ventures fame) was born in Oklahoma and has promised to stop by when he's in the area. Britain's nominated top female vocalist, Hayley Oliver, will visit me on her next visit to the Colonies and sing for the patients. Money is not an issue, while love is uppermost.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If I can't make money by performing I'm not going to donate my services unless it is for a bonafide fundraiser.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I boycott any commercial establishment that hosts an 'open mic' night and IMHO exploits musicians 24/7. They will never-ever get a penny from me.

I have been to and played several open mics and my impression is they are there to give newbies a chance to get on stage and get some practice. Usually they are on an off night so the only crowd is the other players waiting their turn to play! Most of these same bars have paid acts on the busier nights. Seems like a win-win to me. No one is coming to the bar on an off night so the bar opens the stage to anyone who wants to get up there. The bar sells a few drinks on an off night and the noobs get some stage time.

Off-Topic
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: JosieC
I DO HOPE I am not damaging live music for other musicians by doing so.

I wouldn't sweat it at all! Each person should do what is right for them and pay no attention to those who would claim you are harming "real" musicians by working cheap or for free! Funny how someone would make such a claim and then replace real musicians in their own act with BIAB so they can work cheaper! smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

I have been to and played several open mics and my impression is they are there to give newbies a chance to get on stage and get some practice. Usually they are on an off night so the only crowd is the other players waiting their turn to play! Most of these same bars have paid acts on the busier nights. Seems like a win-win to me. No one is coming to the bar on an off night so the bar opens the stage to anyone who wants to get up there. The bar sells a few drinks on an off night and the noobs get some stage time.

Ditto to that. Burbanks in Cincinnati used to have open mic blues on Wed night with a little twist. The band was paid to play, but anyone who wanted to could become the "leader of the band" for a couple of songs.

All of the hot young blues players in town would show up with their axes and jam out with a full blown band.

Beer, blues and BBQ. What more could you want? The place was always packed on Wed.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: JosieC
I DO HOPE I am not damaging live music for other musicians by doing so.

I wouldn't sweat it at all! Each person should do what is right for them and pay no attention to those who would claim you are harming "real" musicians by working cheap or for free! Funny how someone would make such a claim and then replace real musicians in their own act with BIAB so they can work cheaper! smile

Where are you working Bugsey? grin

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,551
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199