Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#258683 08/05/14 06:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Another Day ------> http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11671298

We just moved from one state to another this past weekend and almost everything is is still packed in a jungle of boxes. As soon as I come across our BIAB Drive, I'll post the RT's used.

We wrote this one for the heck of it. We said "Let's write a Country-Pop song." And this is where we ended up. The more we got into, the more we felt we had either a Lady Antebellum or a Rascal Flats ballad sound. This one really stretched my (Alan's) vocal range and it shows in places. This is a WIP ... still needs harmony on the chorus and a final mix. As always, we're open to any suggestions and appreciate all comments.

BTW, for the folks who've inquired about Di ... she had a stroke a couple of years ago and she's having some serious issues because of it at this time and is currently unable sing. We're hoping that changes soon ... don't know, though.

Hope you enjoy. Oh, it's a bit loud. Will fix that on the final mix and master.

Alan & Di

Another Day

(v1)
The sky went dark, the wind stood still
You left me in the shadow of
Another lover's call
You left me here, standing on the edge
But there's no place for me to fall

Pre-Chorus
What will I do, where will I go
How could I find another, when I love you so
Perhaps I never told you, I guess I thought you knew
I'd give my life, I'd give anything for you

CHORUS
Another day of dying without you
No sun no moon, no early morning dew
Another day, of forever turning blue
Without you, there ain't no way
I can go on another day

INSTRUMENTAL

Repeat Pre-Chorus

Repeat Chorus

(c) 2012 Alan D. David, BMI / Diana Bowers

Last edited by Al-David; 08/05/14 06:42 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Al-David #258707 08/06/14 11:30 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice job Al! Pretty song, and well arranged (particularly liked the drum fills and lead guitar). I think a little filling out with BG vocals is a great idea as the production sounds pretty big for only a lead vocal. Nice work!! Take care. Greg

Al-David #258735 08/06/14 08:01 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the listen and very nice comments. We're going to redo the vocals, add vocal harmony on the chorus and then remix. And you are right, the vocal is naked on the chorus as is. We plan on adding 4-part harmony and see how that sounds.

Thanks again. We really appreciate your visit and nice comments! Best to ya ...

Alan ^& Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Al-David #258752 08/07/14 05:48 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Alan,

nice song. Sounds good to me as is.
But I'm looking forward to your remix.

Guenter

Al-David #258756 08/07/14 06:16 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hey Alan & Di. I really enjoyed your country pop tune. This is a well written song and I'm sure you guys had fun doing it.

As to where it fits in the genre, not so much Lady Antebellum or Rascal Flats for me, but it is really well suited for Jennifer Nettles, formally with Sugarland. Check out her song "Good Time to Cry" on YouTube. It is lyrically similar to your song and is not so much the traditional country pop song with the arrangement and instruments they use but her feeling and passionate vocals fit your song like hand in glove to me. Maybe when Di gets back to where she can sing you can try a mix with her on vocals. I think you may get some good BG ideas from her arrangement too since you plan to add some and you plan to revisit this.

I think you have a really good song here.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 08/07/14 06:17 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Al-David #258759 08/07/14 06:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Alan & Di...

This is your best write (IMO). Really nice. Direct, simple.

The lead guitar - is that you? if it's an RT, would really like to know what it is - the beginning of the lead takes off the way it should - getting the RT solos to do that is sometimes less than easy... either way, it's is REALLY well done.

Don't hear many songs these days (major releases) at this tempo. Not to say, you should do it, but, I think this could work at a mid-tempo pace, as well...

Enjoyed that a lot...

floyd

(what state are you in now?)

Al-David #258760 08/07/14 06:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Since it's a "WIP" I'll hold off the nits until you declare it "done" or at least closer.

For now.... I like the progress to this point. The vox are a few db too loud. Adding BGV and HBGV will simply make it louder, so pull the vox down. You did mention that so you're aware of this issue. I don't know what DAW you use to mix final in, however, I use busses for the vocals.... that allows me to easily adjust the vox level in the song without messing with the balance between the vox tracks.

You're off to a good start.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
boehm #258801 08/07/14 02:58 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guenter,

Thanks a bunch! Glad you liked it!

Alan & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Charlie,

We always enjoy hearing from you. We hadn't thought of Jennifer Nettles but you just might be right about that! And we agree, she's a fabulous singer and sings with so much passion. Her song "Stay" showcased her voice and we've been huge fans of hers ever since.

Di said she wants to do it as a duet with m when she can sing again. Hopefully that will be relatively soon ... but probably at least a month or two at the very earliest.

Thank you so much for the very kind words!

Alan & Di

floyd jane #258803 08/07/14 03:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

Yes, that's me on the guitar. It might be the last song on which I do my own lead, other than the silly little stuff I do around the house. The focal dystonia is quickly robbing me of my playing skills. We did this in late 2012, if I remember correctly.

Although a few songs have made it high one the charts with this or a similar tempo, you are correct that they are not the meat and potatoes of Nashville at this time. They want uptempo, quirky stuff.

Glad this one sat nicely in your ears. We appreciate you letting us know that. Best to you,

Alan & Di

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Herb,

Tis always with a smile on our face we read your comments and crits. Your technical knowledge of recording, mixing and mastering always leaves in awe. Should you like to, we'd be more than happy to hear anything else you think would help this.

I (Alan) have to admit my ignorance ... I'm not familiar with busses for vocal editing. Please give me a little info on that! We arrange and record in BIAB, use RT as a DAW and do a little shaping using Audacity. We keep it real simple! Heck, we're dang near 70 years old and simple is usually a good thing for us old farts!

Seriously, we're always open to new and better ideas to improve our songs. We have a lot of respect for you and would love to hear anything else you might want offer us for future recording, mixing, etc. Thanks for your input and nice words on this one! Best to ya!

Alan & Di

Al-David #258826 08/08/14 04:17 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dear Al & Di !

I am so sorry for your health condition ! I hope that
everything will turn out okay as soon as possible,
at least we can pray that it could do so !
Your tune is very nice with a very nice melody,
to me that was very good already !:))

Cheers
Dani

Al-David #258832 08/08/14 05:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hi Herb,

Tis always with a smile on our face we read your comments and crits.

I (Alan) have to admit my ignorance ... I'm not familiar with busses for vocal editing. Please give me a little info on that! We arrange and record in BIAB, use RT as a DAW and do a little shaping using Audacity.

Alan & Di

I don't work in Real Band using it as a DAW. I simply render my audio from it and then send those tracks to Sonar.

Most DAW's allow you to use busses.... RB might, I've never used it to mix so I really don't know if it does.

Quite simply you have tracks and then you have busses. A buss is simply another kind of track. IN a DAW, you send your track outputs to a MASTER OUTPUT or master buss. That's where everything ends up in the final mix. In Sonar, you can add additional BUSSES in between the track level and the master output level.

Why I use busses. Lets say I have 2 acoustic guitars and a dobro ..... three electric guitars and 5 vocal tracks plus all the other bass, drum, etc tracks. Since I want the 2 acoustics to sound similar, I can pop the FX into the tracks.... but then I end up with dozens of instances of FX plugs in each track..... add the electric track plug, the vocal track plugs and before long I literally have dozens of fx plugs and each one of them has to be adjusted and each one of them pulls CPU processing power. So.... I insert 3 new stereo busses.
One for acoustics, one for electrics and one for vox. I drop one reverb and one eq plug into the bus, reassign the individual tracks to the appropriate buss and the tracks stay empty. I now can do what I need to do in the bus. The reverb in the buss effects all the tracks coming in...same with EQ... compression...etc.

This really comes in handy on the vocal tracks. I pan the tracks, I envelope the tracks and send them to the buss. I pop the eq and verb into the vox buss and it generally handles everything at the same time. Occasionally I will have to effect the lead vox differently but not often.

Once everything is set properly, to raise or lower the levels of the vocals takes moving one slider not 5. This also allows me to insert melodyne directly into the tracks, fix the issue, and bounce it directly to the track without getting the reverb and eq permanently printed to the vocal track in question since the eq and verb are not in the track, they're in the buss further down the signal path from the track.

ON some occasions I have used busses for the opposite reason. Occasionally, the vox just isn't loud enough to set properly in the mix even when it's up to 0db..... so I insert a new stereo buss... name it "BAND" and route all the instruments to it. NOW..... I can turn the band down while maintaining the musical balance and envelopes I have taken hours to set up.... in about 5 minutes.

Every song I do uses this process. It saves time in the long run. Especially when you have spent hours working on something like vocals only to find that they need to come up or go down a few db......

Check your DAW to see if it supports bussing the tracks and play with it to get a feel for how it works. It is a very handy tool to use.

If Real Band doesn't allow bussing..... check out Music Creator 6 by Cakewalk.... it's a great DAW and is under $50 IIRC.... maybe even cheaper....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/08/14 06:06 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Herb,

Thank you so very much! I'll look into RT to see if it have busses. That's all new to me. I've been a performer all my life and just been into recording the past couple of years. I sure do appreciate the education. I'll look into those various things and check them out. Di and I are truly appreciative of this info. Thanks so much!!!!

Alan & Di

Al-David #258838 08/08/14 07:03 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dani,

Thanks for taking this one for ride. Glad you liked it! And we both appreciate your kind words regarding our health. We've both been to the doctor and are starting to mend. Best to you!

Alan & Di

Al-David #258867 08/08/14 02:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Al and Di,

First: I'm very sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope that Di's condition will improve, the same goes for your focal dystonia Al.
Although less serious (I hope) I can relate to this. My current RSI problems make it virtually impossible for me to play the guitar also. Luckily we have RT's!

Back to the song then: of course there could be all kinds of improvements to both the arrangement and the vocals but that doesn't change the fact that this song is really heartfelt and beautiful in my opinion. I love the build up, the sus chords, the singing line and electric guitar solo as well.
It is the sort of song I like to write myself (but didn't frown )
furthermore: all the respect for you, to still be so active in creating music at your age.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited by R & AM; 08/08/14 02:07 PM.

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

RnAM #258874 08/08/14 03:11 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Rob & Anne-Marie,

Thank you for the listen. We're delighted you like the song, even with it's remaining flaws. And yes, there is significant room for improvement. We're going to get to them just as soon as we can.

I looked up RSI and found that it's very similar to focal dystonia. I can still play the guitar but I have lost the ability to do some the really fast riffs and certain chords are more and more difficult to make on the guitar. I hope your cfondition gets no worse. Like focal dystonia, there's no simple, clear-cut remedies. We sufferers just have to learn to live with it, for the most part.

That guitar solo was probably the last one I'll play, other than relatively simple ones. You might have noticed I kept that lead riff very simple. I didn't have much choice.

Thanks again for the listen and the kind words. Wishing both of you well,

Alan & Di

Al-David #258887 08/08/14 04:32 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Yes a very good song and your guitar struck me immediately as well. Very tasteful and soulful.

I'm glad I stopped in for a listen, there is a lot of heart in this song.

gruverider #258895 08/08/14 05:14 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Lawrence....

And we're equally glad you stopped in for a listen ... we appreciate it. And thanks for the very nice words. For a spur of the moment thing, we think it came out fairly decent. Still needs lots of TLC ... that's coming down the road.

Thanks again! Best to you,

Alan & Di

Al-David #258896 08/08/14 05:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a beautiful song Al and the guitar riff is a perfect fit and IMO so is the tempo. I think it would make a great track for tv/film placement with the universal lyrics and the lovely haunting melody. I'd leave the arrangement as is - no adding harmonies to keep that lonely haunting quality it has and get a young sounding popish male singer to sing it - not any reflection on your singing but on a song like this the vocal is everything - I'm talking if you were to want to pitch it for tv/film.

Hope y'all are both doing better.

Josie

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195