Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
"The difference is more noticeable on only a few instruments, such as solo piano, solo acoustic guitar, and cymbals."

With all due respect, Matt, I think that this list is somewhat more extensive. I would add acoustic bass, drums, strings, and several others. It should also be mentioned that the compression, albeit subtle, becomes more pronounced when several of these instruments are combined. The result is a less lifelike mix, with reduced dynamic range.

To the OP:

Seems like you've chosen the right package. It will do what you want and much more. BIAB is a great creative tool, and their product/customer support is second to none.

Regards,

Bob

Veteran
Veteran
When PG Music first made the audiophile version available, I called them and paid more to "trade up". They worked it out very fairly. That was many years ago, but I'm sure they would do something similar again for a new buyer.

Keep in mind the hard drive to ship the audiophile version has to be different. The audiophile files are about 11 times larger, plus you still get all the .WMA files. For many, it makes a difference where to install this.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, 90db, yes, you could add more to the list, and my short list "such as" was only those where it might be easiest to tell a difference. Of your additions, I most notice strings.

Another good point you made is about noise. Noise adds up in a mix. After you've added many tracks, there will be a difference.

The bottom line remains: if one is making a commercial product, the audiophile version makes a difference.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Sven, I think someone already mentioned it but in my opinion you should get no less than the UltraPlusPAK because that is the one where you get all of the RealTracks. For quick concepts like you are describing the lesser packages featuring only standard MIDI sounds would be quite the buzzkill while the RealTracks will sound amazing and let you focus your efforts on the songwriting!

Veteran
Veteran
Sven, something you haven't mentioned is the specs on your computer. If it's old and slow or it's one of those Atom netbooks, you'll be disappointed. Like virtually everything else in the computer world, while you don't have to use the latest and greatest, the newer and faster the better. How much that is worth is up to you and your wallet.

The other thing that may not matter is Biab is not good at creating cover songs with well known hooks. Since you're talking about your own originals that may not be an issue but lots of folks will ask about why can't I make Biab create a good backing track for (name your favorite song) that I can play at a gig. The answer is you can do it but it's not obvious or easy. It involves creating your own loops or recording certain parts yourself. That can get tedious.

Where Biab really shines is you simply put in your chord progression and then start experimenting with styles and tempos. Even within a specific style, you can replace individual instrument tracks with other parts from either different Real Tracks or midi styles. This is something that a lot of people don't understand and it's very powerful. They just stick to the styles and that's fine but it's also limiting.

You could pick a country waltz style and decide to switch the bass part that goes with that style to a grunge hip hop bass. Understand that hip hop bass will still follow your country chords and tempo. Start doing that kind of thing and your mind goes "booiinnng". The possibilities are truly amazing.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 08/04/14 06:16 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for sharing your ideas Bob!

Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Sven, something you haven't mentioned is the specs on your computer. If it's old and slow or it's one of those Atom netbooks, you'll be disappointed. Like virtually everything else in the computer world, while you don't have to use the latest and greatest, the newer and faster the better. How much that is worth is up to you and your wallet.

I've got an Intel i7, 2.67 GHz with 6 GB of RAM - do you think that is good enough not to be annoyed by long waiting times?

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Keep in mind the hard drive to ship the audiophile version has to be different. The audiophile files are about 11 times larger, plus you still get all the .WMA files. For many, it makes a difference where to install this.

Is it possible to run the audiophile version from an external drive too (i.e. the option Noel96 wrote requires only 20 MB of disk space)? If yes, won't it be too slow to load big wav files from an external drive?

Veteran
Veteran
Your computer is great for BIAB, far faster than mine which is fine.

The audiophile hard drive is fine also. I run the program from my internal hard drive but load the RealTracks and RealDrums from the PG Music external USB drive. It's plenty fast enough.

Veteran
Veteran
Hello Sven,

Another thing if cost price is a consideration for you is that PG music run a massive sale usually at start to middle of December each year for the forthcoming year version and upgrades, and I would estimate for a first time buy you could save $150 on a ultra pak which is the one to get.

But if money is no problem and you don't want to wait the 4 mths then by all means dip in.

You will enjoy this program.

All the best
Musiclover

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Veteran
Veteran
Sven, either the Ultra-Pak or the Everything-Pak would be great to have. I have the Everything pak and the music it allows me to create is of sufficient quality that music libraries and publishers sign my music for use in TV & films. So... the quality you need is there.

Have you listened to any of my music or the music of some of the other folks who are contributing to this conversation? Take a minute or two and listen to a few tunes that were created with Ultra or Everything and see for yourself the quality and possibilities.

While I would love to have the audiophile version, I don't think it's necessary in order to create excellent music.

I compose in BB and that is usually the longest part of the process for me. I can spend as little as a few hours to several days or longer in the writing/composing stage. I save that file and use Real Band to render the parts into audio. I use NO midi in most of my songs now. ( yeah, there's exceptions)

I also use real band to render all the tracks to audio and add "other" parts that are not in the particular style I used in BB..... for example I might use the LA Hard Rock style to write the song in BB but in Real Band, I can add a fiddle and a steel guitar, which are NOT in the LA Hard Rock BB style. The possibilities are unlimited. You could add a distorted electric to a bluegrass tune or a Ukelele to a jazz tune...all in Real Band... The rendering to audio part of the process is usually no more than an hour at most.... in most cases. Sometimes I will come back to re-render or add a new track but again... that takes about 10 minutes to re-open RB, select the track, render it and export it.

At this point I export the waves to my Sonar DAW. I could work in Real Band since it too is a DAW, but I know Sonar like the back of my hand so I prefer to work there. This past of the process can also rival the time spent composing and writing......with all the editing, production, tweeking and live recording of guitars and vocals.

I could not produce the music I write and record if I did not have BB/RB to do the heavy lifting for me since I don't play drums, steel, or fiddle at all, and keys, bass, and mando are not my best instruments.... that leaves me with guitar & vox that I do halfway competently.

I don't think you will be disappointed with either the Ultra or the Everything pak once you get it and see how easy it is to work with.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Expert
Expert
Sven, Just read through the post and one thing has not been mentioned. The Realtracks will blow your mind. I notice your thinking of expoerting tracks as MIDI, well that can be done, but not with Real Tracks these are Audio files.
Real Tracks are fantastic, you cant really programme the wail and slide of a harmonica, or the sliding tones of a hawian guitar in MIDI unless you spent lots of time, you have the right samples and a lot of skill.
Real tracks bring feel, feel feel and more feel. They are 'loops' of some fantastic pro players playing live. The difference is that you can change tempo and chord symbol. It works and it works well. You can export these tracks as audio if you wish. I much prefer real tracks, as many do, they are much more natural.

As people have intimated, the interface is a bit jaded, this is the only software I know where A Piano can be a banjo - but youll get used to this. The plusses way make up for the minuses. Frankly this is really the only game in town at this level of accompaniment software, I think there is nothing better.

I use this product every day, just type in a few chords choose a styel and tempo and off you go. You could also take one of a huge library of standard songs, chop and change it then use this.

Welcome

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Sven Hedlund #258658 08/05/14 12:41 PM
S
OP Offline
S

I actually ended up buying the MegaPAK! I did this mainly because of cost and disk space:

Since I will likely want the possibility of tweaking a few notes here and there and since I have a lot of good virtual instruments, I think I will often use exported MIDI anyway. I simply can not justify the extra cost and disk space for the UltraPlusPAK.

Moreover, I think the MegaPAK will suffice for trying out BIAB for quite some time. Yes ZeroZero, I realize that I will not get the exact same feeling without RealTracks, but I guess I can always upgrade in the future.

Thanks to all for your time and for your valuable insights! My decision may seem strange after the discussions in this thread, but trust me - this has been valuable for my thought process!

Warm regards,
Sven

Veteran
Veteran
I think you can buy the various real tracks in groups ...... so if you want specific ones..... just buy that pack.

see this here>>> http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.realtracks.htm

this gives you the possibility of having the real tracks you need, just not all of them in one convenient package.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 08/05/14 04:27 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
Sven, I meant to chime in earlier but got busy. What I wanted to say is that, like you, I work extensively in MIDI. Real Tracks are everything they are said to be, there are still things which only be done via MIDI. In my case, I work extensively in electronic music. I like to generate tracks in BIAB, then port them into Propellerhead Reason (which is essentially a DAW and badass soft synth and effects suite) for revoicing and final production. If this is anything like what you do, you will find that you have hundreds or thousands of Styles to work with, plus the ability to make your own.

If you do decide to upgrade within the next 30 days, I am certain that PG will work with you on an exchange. The Real Tracks are truly amazing. In the right hands the end product cannot be distinguished from a live ensemble. I particularly like the drum tracks backing my electronica and electric guitar playing.

I'll be curious to hear what you think if the BIAB/RB combo and see what you do with it. Finally, welcome to one of the greatest communities on the Internet. We're here to help you enjoy and become productive with your new "toy."

Sincerely,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
S
OP Offline
S
Richard, you are spot on smile :

Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Sven, I meant to chime in earlier but got busy. What I wanted to say is that, like you, I work extensively in MIDI. Real Tracks are everything they are said to be, there are still things which only be done via MIDI. In my case, I work extensively in electronic music. I like to generate tracks in BIAB, then port them into Propellerhead Reason (which is essentially a DAW and badass soft synth and effects suite) for revoicing and final production. If this is anything like what you do, you will find that you have hundreds or thousands of Styles to work with, plus the ability to make your own.

This was exactly my initial plan. Propellerhead Reason is my favorite DAW (very nice, intuitive interface, great synths, and now with a growing number of interesting REs). I sometimes use Reaper with various VSTs for some more realistic acoustic instruments, but I still do the final mixing in Reason.

If you do decide to upgrade within the next 30 days, I am certain that PG will work with you on an exchange. The Real Tracks are truly amazing. In the right hands the end product cannot be distinguished from a live ensemble. I particularly like the drum tracks backing my electronica and electric guitar playing.

Having played with a few Real Tracks, however, I was so impressed that I wanted the the UltraPlusPak! I am sure that I will import a few Real Tracks into my projects every now and then! I contacted PG Music for an exchange and now I am waiting for the never ending download...

I'll be curious to hear what you think if the BIAB/RB combo and see what you do with it. Finally, welcome to one of the greatest communities on the Internet. We're here to help you enjoy and become productive with your new "toy."

Thanks again for your help! I guess it can take quite some time before I have something to show you. Music is only a hobby of mine and raising two kids, I seldom have more than 15 minutes in the evening to play frown . But still, I am very happy to have these great music tools to play with! smile

Veteran
Veteran
Sven, I hope you'll stay in touch. For one thing, you're the only other user of a current version of Reason I know of here. I'd love to hear any insight you may have. (I have v. 6.5 installed, waiting for the v. 7 upgrade I purchased some while back.)*

Regarding limited time, you will find that with just a little effort you can knock out song (chord) entry in minutes. Pick a tempo, time sig, and Style and you're in business. That part of BIAB is quick and easy.

Moving beyond that is a whole 'nother thing. BIAB is as deep as you want it to be. (I figure I'm familiar with maybe 5%-10% of its features.) It's not really suited to final production,** especially if you need a lot of instruments, and particularly if you need more than one live track. That's what RB and/or Reason are for.

In short, you have a universe of new possibilities on your hands. My issue is staying focused on a given project because of all the neat distractions I discover along the way. I find that I have to take notes for future reference and set them aside while I continue on task. What a great "problem" to have.

R.

*I heard today that v. 8 will be introduced at the end of September. laugh
**Lots of good people here will argue with me on that. cool

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
S
OP Offline
S
Sven, I hope you'll stay in touch. For one thing, you're the only other user of a current version of Reason I know of here. I'd love to hear any insight you may have. (I have v. 6.5 installed, waiting for the v. 7 upgrade I purchased some while back.)*

Reason v7 was definitely worth the upgrade! That version and a few extra REs makes it a good enough tool for mixing and mastering too - at least at my amateur level! wink

Regarding limited time, you will find that with just a little effort you can knock out song (chord) entry in minutes. Pick a tempo, time sig, and Style and you're in business. That part of BIAB is quick and easy.

Sounds great - that's what I'm after!

Moving beyond that is a whole 'nother thing. BIAB is as deep as you want it to be. (I figure I'm familiar with maybe 5%-10% of its features.) It's not really suited to final production,** especially if you need a lot of instruments, and particularly if you need more than one live track. That's what RB and/or Reason are for.

I will probably not dig too much into these features in the near future. I am still learning Reason and Reaper (I entered the entire DAW world only a year ago, so I haven't finished that many projects yet. A few songs made in Reason and Reaper can be found at https://soundcloud.com/svenhe and
https://www.youtube.com/user/svenihedlund/videos)

In short, you have a universe of new possibilities on your hands. My issue is staying focused on a given project because of all the neat distractions I discover along the way. I find that I have to take notes for future reference and set them aside while I continue on task. What a great "problem" to have.

I know exactly what you mean, I too struggle with this "problem" wink

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,103
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185