Print Thread
Go To
#260727 08/28/14 11:42 AM
User Showcase
Beth Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Everyone.

My third song on the forum.

As usual, I'm playing the guitar parts and ROG is playing bass and keyboards. The drums are RealDrums.
Vocals this time are by Andy on the main vocal and my sister Sîan tracked up all the backing vocals.

OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW
Outside your window
You know the sun may be shining
But in your room it's cold ice

Outside your window
There stands a church on the hillside
A place you've never been inside

No use staring at the wall
It's time to pay the price
The choir sings heaven help you all
Don't count on paradise

Outside your window
You know the world keeps on turning
But in your room the clock stands still.

Thanks for listening and all comments welcome.

Beth.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another winner, Beth.

Y'all sound like you've been doing this a long time.
Good mix. I assume the horns are ROG on keyboard? They sound good.
Drums sound great. Guitars sound good. I thought the lead could be just a hair louder.

Good vocals and harmonies (particularly when they get real full on "heaven...").

The organ at the end was quite tasty.

An interesting write. Enjoyable.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice. I'm really fond of this type of lyric where so much is left to the imagination of the listener. Neat guitar. Enjoyed it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice work. The clean guitar tone is really sweet.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really cool tune!! Everything works well. A few things I'd consider: 1) Some tuning on the lead vocal. He has a great tone and timing, and with his style (Neil Youngish) you can get away with a little pitchiness but sometimes it's a bit much, and 2) The harmonies on the chorus are lovely. I would consider doing the harmony (3rd?) on all four lines vs. unison (or octaves) on the first 2 and harmony on the others. Great job!! This is a really good tune! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Another fine track, great vocal and well written lyrics Beth; thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beth,

Quote:
Outside your window
You know the world keeps on turning
But in your room the clock stands still.

What a lovely lyric.
ROG says I sound like me (gibson) and I say that all his productions have that ROG vibe, which is excellent.

Good write, nice harmonies and a +1 to all the other replies!!

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Listening again in more detail.

I agree 100% with Greg above. The lead vox needs tuning and so do the BGV's. While we're talking about tuning. The guitar is every so slightly off in the solo.... very slight. It sounds like one or two strings needed to be tuned. When I record I tune electronically before and during my sessions. A string can slip slightly with a bend and that can affect the tuning higher on the neck. I have also been known to run my pitch correction on instruments too when the take was good but something was a slight bit off.

Bring the guitar fills up several db's and the guitar itself could probably stand a few db bump overall.

I'm not a fan of the horns. They sound too synthy. My recommendation would be to replace them. Either use much better samples of horns or use a totally different instrument. Piano would sound good in there with the instrumentation you already have in this mix. B3 Hammond organ would also work well in this song. Both of which are available in Real Band.

Just my further thoughts on the song..... and yeah, I really like the tone of the guitar you are getting...clean but not too bright. I assume it's that blonde tele in your avatar pic?

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Nice song. Enjoyed it and I really admire your guitar skills.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Beth,
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very nice. I'm really fond of this type of lyric where so much is left to the imagination of the listener. Neat guitar. Enjoyed it.

+1 from me.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Beth & team !:))

Wow ! a very nice tune
so delicately performed !
I really loved it and the
vocals most of all !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beth,

this may be the first of your songs I've heard. My gut feeling is that you did a good job of latching onto familiar themes then embellishing them with personal touches to make it your own.

The familiar:
the 3 chord pattern in the body of the song reminded me of many hypnotic Fleetwood Mac tunes everybody loves, or the 60's San Francisco sound which was equally trancelike.

The layered background vocals remind me of Pink Floyd's "another brick in the wall" sound

Establishing subtle links to songs that have stood the test of time and won the hearts of multiple generations of music lovers is a highly desirable accomplishment.

Your Own:
Rog's use of horns adds something new that differentiates your song from my memories of other songs. I automatically like everything Rog does, his musical sensibilities seem to mirror my own... although I suspect we would not articulate our choices in exactly the same way.

Your lyrics are what really set this song apart from anything else and make it yours alone. You paint an unmistakable portrait with your words, and I would hate to be the person you are singing about!

Regarding the guitar, I really liked the understated feel it provided, As such, I was glad it did not ramp up in volume. It serves a supporting role, and to my ears it was perfect in its application.

The melody reminded me of Mitch Easter (band:"Let's Active"), and I like that style. I find myself wishing that you had sung your own song, But Andy did a great job of it, and maybe it is his voice that reminded me of Mitch Easter... but the melody did too.

All in all a very positive first impression for me! Thanks for posting!

(Rog: I found myself wishing for more reverb on the horns. I know you don't get requests for MORE reverb very often, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to express my thoughts on the topic) wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice song. I enjoyed the almost 70's vibe going on in it. Well done.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
That's a very nice write Beth. You're getting a lot of constructive criticism which I think is great, especially since it's only in regards to tweaking your production. You're well on your way to something in your writing and production skills.-Patrick

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is very good!

I agree with Pat as it also reminded me of the 60's San Francisco sound.

Your guitar work was very tasty! Excellent job on those leads.

I would do some slight pitch corrections on the vocals. Don't make them all absolutely perfect as that sounds fake but nudge them a little closer to the aim pitch. Just my thoughts and YMMV.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi Beth!

Digging the feel. Agree with the comments on a smidge of autotune. Even the best use it. I've found it very helpful in increasing the quality of vocals and it makes harmonies much better smile

Having said that, the harmonies are cool. Great job!! Keep on keepin on!

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Another great song from Beth.

One thing which I really like about working with Beth is the variety of styles which she's prepared to try out. Working with different genres is a really good way to improve your technique, together with your understanding of music structure and songwriting. It's also good to see the team here supporting each other with session work.

I know my students value highly the advice and encouragement which the forum provides, even if the odd person appears a little harsh at times. How many of us at their age were producing songs of this standard?

Let's see what's next in line.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi beth cool tune enjoyed very much nice guitar work keep them coming eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
ROG, i believe everyone really dug the tune but the forum does tend to critique production in great detail. It is sometimes a bit direct, but I have learned a lot reading them ( directed at me and others). I can't wait to hear what she comes up with next!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Beth ...

I've been away from the boards for several weeks ... close family member with cancer and health issues of my own. Also, have a deadline for two novels I'm writing.

Loved the song! I know most folks here said it reminded them of the 60's SF sound. I hear a lot of that in it, too. But overall, it had more of a 70's feel to me... mostly because the horns sounded similar in style to so much of what I heard in the 70's. Just my opinion, though.

For me, the strong pint is the lyric. You've given us a framework but left the finishes touches for our imaginations. Doing so allows each listener to personalize the song, to some degree, to fit a mood or situation he/she is experiencing. That only broadens the appeal to a greater variety of listeners.

Coo song and performance!

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,453
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195