Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#261098 09/01/14 12:41 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Okay... here's my second attempt at creating something in BiaB.

Please click here.

This really is some fun and, truly, inspirational software!

I've been noticing that the shuffle beat has been infiltrating practically all genres of music, from rap to hip-hop, to R&B and even country. So, I thought I'd try my hand at using this most addictive beat and wrap it around a bit of my own cultural heritage and background. I took the beat and fused (welded, perhaps) it withe a type of music that's popular in my part of the country called Swamp Pop.

Here are the BiaB settings I used...

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Gonzales Double Bump
Key=Bb , Tempo 65, Length (m:s)=3:52
Soloist track has 402 notes, Soloist harmony is < no harmony >(0)
Song is saved with bar changes for Tempo ,Volume Changes,
Style is SWAMPROK.STY (Swamp Rock -Unplugged)
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic String Bass (33),
RealTracks in song: ~1039:Organ, B3, Rhythm JazzBallad Sw 060
RealTracks in song: 566:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Monday Sw 065 ('A' only)
RealTracks in song: 2114:Horn Section, Background, R&B Ev16 110 (Bluesy)
RealTracks in song: 1347:Sax, Tenor, Soloist Rock Boogie Ev 160
MIDI Drums :1 Standard Drum Kit (1)
RealDrums will be substituted :HipHop: a: HipHopb: HipHop

Once the tracks were created, I exported them to Reaper where I recorded the vocal track adding a big of reverb, EQ, and echo. Finally, I took it into Audacity and trimmed out the click-track intro and used the Limiter tool to make the volume of the soft parts and the loud parts more uniform.

Here, also, are the lyrics, in case you'd like to follow along while you listen...

Down 61 passed Bayou Manchac
You need to come on down, go on and get your bags packed
The gumbo's hot, the Dixie beer’s on ice
And them Bayou ladies they all lookin’ so nice
But as sure as I'm sitting on this cypress stump
You just ain't livin' until you’ve done
The Double Bump

The Gonzales Double Bump is what the locals call it
And if you wanna learn to do it, it won't break your wallet
Yeah, without even spending you one, thin dime
I can guar-an-tee you'll pass a really good time.
So if you feel like you livin' in a cane-field rut
Pick yourself up and dust off your butt
And do the Double Bump

The clock on the wall says it’s time for the show
So if you’re ready, set, c’mon on let’s go!
Grab your best girl and your pirogue pole
Repeat after me, “Let the good times roll”.

So if you're ready bring your lady out on the dance floor
Pull her nice and close, you’ll be feeling it for sure
Sway it to the left once nice and slow
But when you sway to the right, sway it one time more
One bump to the left, two bumps to the right
Before you even know it you’ll be bumping all night
Doing the Double Bump

I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think. Constructive criticism is, truly, the only way to grow, as a writer.

Last edited by Rutherford; 09/01/14 12:42 PM.

Yours in the muse,
Rutherford
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Kevin,

A very interesting song and production. The horn stops are really well done. The vocal is strong! A solid mix.

I liked it. However, I couldn't help but feel that it should have been done a lot faster. So it had some real rockin' to it. The lyric suggested that as well...

You're doing some good stuff here.

floyd

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you for the feedback! I do agree that, at times, it seems like the song drags a bit. I guess I was trying to keep it at the tempo of the songs that the folks down here do that particular dance to. But I'm thinking a slight deviation may be in order! *lol*

Thank you, again!

Yours in the muse,
Rutherford
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really well done!! Horns work perfectly. Really great vibe and delightful innuendo!! Great job! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Nice tune. The horns worked really well with the song. I did notice a significant click at the 2:50 mark you may want to fix if you do any more work on the song.

Good job on this.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Nice work! Just for my own tastes, the horns seem 'middy' and missing those highs that cut through and make horns, horns.

Also, I heard another 'click' about 10 seconds before the one noted before. It was only in one ear.

Well done!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A creative and interesting vibe indeed. Fun listen. Kudos on getting sw and ev tracks to not tug on each other. Great descriptive lyric that sets the atmosphere well.

Do I even want to know what that dance looks like? smile

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
I liked it. However, I couldn't help but feel that it should have been done a lot faster. So it had some real rockin' to it. The lyric suggested that as well...

Interesting but tended to drag and quickly diminished listener appeal. Excellent first effort, however. More please?

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Kevin !:))

I liked this bump of yours really much !:))
Fun, yes, and very well performed and
mixed !:))Keep on "bumpin´" (lol) !

Regards
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Swamp Pop is a new genre for me but I really like it!

Your vocal was super strong on this and the lyrics were fantastic. I thought the tempo fit the song, especially when you sang " Pull her nice and close, you’ll be feeling it for sure Sway it to the left once nice and slow". I also thought that the horns fit the mood you were trying to set.

Great song.

Ps - I also hear those clicks. If you clear them out the song would be perfect!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you all for the great feedback! I've been playing with the tempo in BiaB, trying to see what it feels like a lot faster, a little faster, as compared to the 65 BPM I originally recorded it at. That's such a tough call. I'm not sure what those "pops" are all about but I'm gonna get Audacity after 'em to see if I can clean 'em up.

Thanks again! Y'all rock!

Yours in the muse,
Rutherford
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah Rutherford, I like those horns!!!!!
Great job.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah Rutherford, interesting song , love the horn stoPs. Do you care to elaborate how you built them?

Mike B.

Last edited by cubanpete; 09/02/14 08:06 PM.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Kevin,

a fun listening. Does this dance really exist?
I'd like to know what it looks like.
Enjoyed it a lot.

Guenter

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
The horn stops were pretty easy once I followed some valuable advice I got here on the forum. Basically, imagine these four measures, with each line representing a measure...

Measure 1) C
Measure 2) C..,C.. ,C..
Measure 3) C..,C.. ,C..
Measure 4) C...

Measure 1 is set to 65 BPM so you hear the whole band playing through the whole measure. The BPM on measures 2 and 3, however, are set to 130 BPM so, in time, you hear these measures twice as fast as the one before. The horn stops play on what BiaB thinks is beats 1, 2 and 4 but, to your ear, the quarter notes become eighth notes for those two measure so you get a really cool sound set of eighth note horn stop. Measure 4 is, once again set to 65 BPM and the whole "band" holds the chord for the entire four beats.

Nothing more than some really cool math at work.

Hope this helps!

Yours in the muse,
Rutherford
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195