Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The great news is, I finally have my studio completely set up, essentially for the first time ever, including a subwoofer that has sat idle for over two years. All of the important software is installed and I'm ready to go.

The issue is low-level static and a medium-pitched whine (not 60 Hz, but maybe an upper harmonic) in my main speakers. It's not apparent when music is playing at a conversational level, but is noticeable in a quiet room, and bothersome during quiet passages of music.

Except for incandescent replacements, there are no fluorescent lights or dimmers in the house. I have ruled out the cable modem and wireless router in the room, which can't be moved anyway.

All of the AC except the sub is plugged into a single surge suppressor, including the DAW, mixer, headphone amp, video monitors, speakers, and Roland VG-88. The only things running now are the DAW, dual monitors, and speakers. The sub is plugged into a separate surge suppressor on the same outlet pair as everything else.

My control, signal, and power lines are a rat's nest, and I know I need to work on that. What else, in your collective opinion, needs doing?

Thanks in advance,

Richard

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Have you tried the most simple but most time-consuming test: unplug all cables?

First set: Have only power amp and speakers working? Is the whine still there?

If not, plug in one more cable. Continue and: When does it start? And then it still might not be that certain cable. It might be a combination of cables that only starts to induce said whine when the last one is connected.

If yes: The source of the whine is something that affects either amp, or speaker cables, or the speaker itself. Maybe it is only a bad connector.

Last edited by GHinCH; 09/16/14 01:47 AM.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
No, I haven't done that yet. I should be able to today. The speaks and sub (Behringer TRUTH B2031A and JBL PSW-D110) are active, so there is no separate power amp.

I did D/C the PreSonus AudioBox USB line from the DAW and the noise completely stopped. Does that localize it to the PC? If so, what then?

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
You may be experiencing an earth loop through the signal chain.

USB is a current loop standard: 2 wires are 0 and +5V, the other two are the current loop signal path, if the 0V is also connected through to the signal path earth/ground connection (unbalanced -ve/earth or balanced shield) through the Presonus then simply disconnecting elsewhere in the signal path (lift the shield at one end of a balanced connection?) should eliminate the noise.

PC's are a dreadful source of noise... Of course there are a couple of assumptions here that may not be correct...

I can't see whether you said or not, but if the DAW is a notebook some models (as in my HP) have the earth from the mains connected through the charger into the ground plane of the PC. Disconnecting the charger from the PC (so it's running on battery) would eliminate the noise if that is the source.

Also, CFL lamp replacements are still Fluorescents (as I'm sure you know). I've found that LED's are far superior, but you usually need to shop around to find them at a resonable price, retailers are still price gougeing on them frown

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My DAW is a full tower PC with a self contained power supply. It is shielded on all sides but the bottom.

I'll have to check on the type of ceiling light in my room. How do you do an earth/ground lift on a USB line?

There is a Cat 5 Ethernet line running through the rat's nest behind my studio desk. Could that be a source of interference?

ETA: There is a laptop in the room. It's on another outlet and surge suppressor, but presumably on the same breaker.

Last edited by Ryszard; 09/16/14 03:17 AM. Reason: Add information

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
My DAW is a full tower PC with a self contained power supply. It is shielded on all sides but the bottom.

I'll assume it is a normal steel case so the bottom will also be shielded by the metal of the case which is grounded through the PSU

Quote:

I'll have to check on the type of ceiling light in my room. How do you do an earth/ground lift on a USB line?

You don't, it would have to be done in a common signal path somewhere.

Quote:

There is a Cat 5 Ethernet line running through the rat's nest behind my studio desk. Could that be a source of interference?

Anythng is posible, but I doubt it. You are talking RF signals of more than 10MHz. Actually it's probably at least 100MHz.

Something you might try:
leave the Presonus plugged in on the audio side, but UNplug the USB cable (I assume it doesn't use the USB cable for power?)

Hmm, thinking about a ground lift on USB, if the Presonus IS externally powered it might be possible to disconnect the power wires in the USB cable at one end. Only possible downside is if the USB interface itself needs to be powered by the USB cable...

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Lawrie

Quote:
I'll assume it is a normal steel case so the bottom will also be shielded by the metal of the case which is grounded through the PSU

No. Unusually, it's open on the bottom as an air intake. Weird.

Quote:

You don't, it would have to be done in a common signal path somewhere.

Quote:

Anythng is posible, but I doubt it. You are talking RF signals of more than 10MHz. Actually it's probably at least 100MHz.

Something you might try:
leave the Presonus plugged in on the audio side, but UNplug the USB cable (I assume it doesn't use the USB cable for power?)

Hmm, thinking about a ground lift on USB, if the Presonus IS externally powered it might be possible to disconnect the power wires in the USB cable at one end. Only possible downside is if the USB interface itself needs to be powered by the USB cable...

The AudioBox receives both signal and power via USB.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert

Quote:

The AudioBox receives both signal and power via USB.

Hmm, disappointing. Oh well, that just makes it a little harder. I would look for another place in the signal chain to do the ground lift.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have the behringer 2030a just got secondhand a few months ago, I think you replies to a thread of mine on Here Ryszard, not too sure if I remember correctly but I have a vague recollection that you said that you had cables in an unbalanced configuration, maybe I remember wrong and it was somebody else.

Anyways I had the same type of hum on speakers, didn't get or felt it wouldn't help to get balanced cables from interface to monitors.

Tested an old cable that I had lying around and hey presto it seemed to cure it, so got the balanced cables on ebay for £15.

I would say hum and noise is gone now even when I turn speakers to full volume, maybe a little background static, which is probably normal enough.

Balanced cables seem to have solved my problem. Hope you can cure yours as easily.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 09/16/14 04:18 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"My control, signal, and power lines are a rat's nest, and I know I need to work on that."

I would start with that rat's nest. Disconnect and bundle like-wires together with cable ties - audio with audio, etc. Get any AC wiring away from audio cables. If you cannot keep AC wires completely separate from audio cabling, cross them at a 90 degree angle - do not run them parallel to audio cabling.

As Musiclover said, I would also invest in some quality balanced cabling. Good luck.

Regards,

Bob

p.s. I hope I'm not being condescending and telling you something that you already know.

Last edited by 90 dB; 09/16/14 04:54 AM. Reason: p.s.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Ryszard,

One of the reasons I got rid of my PreSonus Firebox (basically a firewire version of your Audiobox) is that there was two internal signal issues with it - which turned out to be somewhat common after perusing their support forums:

1. Signal bleed from headphone output (no mics being used) into the input channels. I never realized it was an issue until final mix-down of a song that I blew through in a day. Here's the song: https://soundcloud.com/rockstar_not/scott-lake-rest-ye-orion listen to the very tail end of the song. If you turn up the playback enough, you'll hear my click-track. No microphones were used in the recording process

2. The second issue was that there was a very high pitched whine on the input pre-amps, when turned up to the last 20% or so of gain. Again, an issue that I found out was common through the threads, but after my warranty period expired. I would estimate the frequency at 8kHz or above.

I no longer have that device - I sold it after my fire-wire equipped lappy went south permanently.

I hope that your situation is not the same and that you simply have some grounding issues to contend with.

Other sources of whine to be mindful of:

1. Some laptops LCD backlight is controlled by a pulse-width-modulated control circuit which can induce whine over the USB. We had some Thinkpad T-series laptops at work which exhibited this issue.

2. Other stuff on your USB - try to eliminate as much off of the USB as possible, including any powered ports. The power supplies on those are usually crappy switching jobs, and they can make headaches for noise on the supply of the USB, which depending on how well the audio interface is designed to reject incoming noise on the USB, may cause issues.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Take the first simple step again: replace cables, It is cheaper to change a 5 dollar cable than a 100 dollar gadget. While there may be many sources for corrupting your signal, a bad connection might be a probable cause.

If it is not the cable, the next step that I would take is: take that box to a different location in the studio, even if it means longer cables for the test.

Eliminate the cheapest and easiest accesible sources of noise first. It is not always the most expensive part, Murphy's milage may vary.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you all. I have several things to try now. Some are from checking the PreSonus site. It is not complete, and they are in no particular order.

1. Replace the USB cable.
2. Make sure it's not plugged into a USB 3 socket.
3. Isolate the PC. (I may try a ground lift there.)
4. Reroute control, power, and signal lines as appropriate.
5. Replace the sound card. (That would be kind of okay since I'd like to upgrade to one with a S/PDIF output so I could use the Focusrite(?) VRM speaker emulator with my headphones.)

There is more, but this will keep me busy for a while. I'll keep you posted.

R.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
If the distance between our locations wouldn't be that long, I'd take a case of beer and come help. I like this kind of challenge.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
R, ofttimes, cheap cabling can be a culprit. I think you're on the right trail, Tonto, now it's perseverance you'll need. Some noise problems would peeve Job (not Steven).

Best to you on finding a solution.

I'm sorely tempted to hire Guido, if only for the beer und shashlik. lol

Personally, I suspect a earth (ground) loop.

Maybe I've missed it, but do we know the hum frequency? That would help isolate PSU or mains. Does it sound like your Barber's clippers (mains) or a harmonic thereof (PSU)?

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
If the distance between our locations wouldn't be that long, I'd take a case of beer and come help. I like this kind of challenge.

Come on down! I've got a case of Spaten Optimator in the fridge. We may not get it fixed, but we won't be feeling any pain!

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
R, ofttimes, cheap cabling can be a culprit. I think you're on the right trail, Tonto, now it's perseverance you'll need. Some noise problems would peeve Job (not Steven).

Best to you on finding a solution.

I'm sorely tempted to hire Guido, if only for the beer und shashlik. lol

Personally, I suspect a earth (ground) loop.

Maybe I've missed it, but do we know the hum frequency? That would help isolate PSU or mains. Does it sound like your Barber's clippers (mains) or a harmonic thereof (PSU)?

Don, cabling is the first thing. I'll see whether I can find a more heavily shielded USB cable for the AudioBox. I also remembered that I have another sound card (TASCAM US-224) that I had used on my laptop. If the latest drivers (XP/Vista 64-bit from 2007) work I may have something.

The tone is definitely a musical note. I'll zero in on it and report that, too.

Thanks, guys!

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thank you all. I have several things to try now. Some are from checking the PreSonus site. It is not complete, and they are in no particular order.

1. Replace the USB cable.
2. Make sure it's not plugged into a USB 3 socket.
3. Isolate the PC. (I may try a ground lift there.)
4. Reroute control, power, and signal lines as appropriate.
5. Replace the sound card. (That would be kind of okay since I'd like to upgrade to one with a S/PDIF output so I could use the Focusrite(?) VRM speaker emulator with my headphones.)

There is more, but this will keep me busy for a while. I'll keep you posted.

For the most part this sound reasonable, BUT, I am very uncomfortable with #3. I hope you are not considering a MAINS ground lift. IMHO that is potentially a very dangerous thing.

FWIW I'm ALWAYS nervous when people start talking about lifting pretective earths from inside mains powered equipment. Double insulated is one thing, but your PC has a metallic case.

Off-Topic
Ryszard Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I appreciate the concern, Lawrie. How would you feel about this--a one-time test using a two-prong adapter to see whether that does it? If so, I could buy a proper isolator. If not, I remove the adapter and proceed with other steps. It's a quick, simple approach, if you approve. That's a question, so I look forward to hearing back from you.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In the US, our mains are 120v, 60 Hz, meaning that the first order harmonic is 120 Hz (2x 60 Hz), or roughly equivalent to key 27 on a standard 88 key piano. Musical indeed.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,557
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199