Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#262946 09/20/14 12:30 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

If you've ever traveled I-75 through Georgia, I'll bet that at some point you've said to yourself...
"... if we can make it to Macon..."
...we'll get lunch
...we can stop for the night
...we'll be half way to Atlanta

Something like that. But it ALWAYS sounds like a song title.

This is a song about do-overs.

MAKE IT TO MACON

daddy sent a clipping from the paper out of macon
i couldn't believe my eyes
looking just as sweet as a georgia peach
with her arm around another guy
the story underneath her said a real big wedding
was planned for the end of may
i told her not to wait...what a big mistake
i never thought it'd turn out this way

if i can make it to macon
    before she takes those vows
    i'll make up for my mistake
    and win her back somehow
    if this old truck can get me there
    i can change her mind
    if i can make it to macon....on time

got my diploma and i left for oklahoma
never meant to be gone so long
momma and daddy sent a letter every week
to keep me up with what was going on
they tried to tell me nicely, break it to me gently
that certain things had changed
that pictures worth... a thousand words
didn't think she'd change her name

repeat chorus

my engine's running hot...but i can't slow down
    got a dozen roses...a million reasons..
    i'll turn her heart around

repeat chorus

hey, if this old truck can get me there
    i can change her mind
    if i can make it to macon
    i'll make her mine.....

...and the Band...
RealTracks in song: ~1846:Bass, Electric, CountryBoogieRootFive Sw 140
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: ~621:Pedal Steel, Background Easy Ev 136
RealTracks in song: 2021:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 623:Banjo, Background Backporch Ev 098
RealTracks in song: ~618:Fiddle, Background Allis Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open
RealDrums in song: NashvilleOutlaw^10-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

Harmonies by the janettes (that would be Janice Merritt and me) - Thanks, again, J&B!!!!

floyd

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Always know I'm in for a treat when I see a new post by you Floyd!! This is a fun little gem. You are a true craftsman-every note and word in place. Another cool tune!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Always know I'm in for a treat when I see a new post by you Floyd!! This is a fun little gem. You are a true craftsman-every note and word in place. Another cool tune!! Greg

+1 !

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd
Yup, we've used I75 but to come South to A M I. What a wonderful place this is!
Great song! I've bought myself a good set of earphones for this tablet and it sounds really rich and full.
No critique from me - its just Sooper Dooper!
Cheers
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Well, every time time you sang " make it on time" I was imagining " make her mine". And then you finally sang it! It was worth the wait. Great job as usual.

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
You left room for a follow up song with the story to whether you made it to Macon on time.

Good song and looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd,

I managed to jump in a bit earlier this time!

This song is good! Real good! You and Janice have once more reached the stratosphere of performance.

Right at the moment, I'm sitting in front of my computer and giving myself a rest from programming macros in Excel while I'm slowly working my way through Walkenbach's book Microsoft Excel 2013, Power Programming with VBA. It's a great book but I've got to take breaks from it every once in a while. As much as I like playing around with programming, though, I have to say that I think I enjoy listening to your music more.

What initially captivated me with “Make It To Macon” was the sonic fabric of the chorus. You really got me thinking with this one!

I'll try and explain what I mean …

To my ears, the name 'Macon” has the following sonic characteristics: it has an “m” sound, a long “a” sound, a “k” sound and an “n” sound. As a bit of an exercise, I thought it would be interesting to look at those individual sounds in the chorus and note the words in which they occur. Table 1 below summarises my deconstruction.

Wow! Out of the 44 words that make up the chorus, 22 of them are directly related to reinforcing the four sounds found in “Macon” - see the yellow highlighting on the image below. That's a whopping 50%. Moreover, a number of these words multitask across multiple sounds (i.e. make, takes, mistake, change, mind).

When I looked a little more closely at the brickwork of the chorus, I found that there are only five syllables, in fact, that occur on the stronger rhythmical beats that aren't related sonically to “Macon”. I've highlighted those in the pink colour below. (The non-highlighted words are those that have no direct sonic relationship to the sounds in “Macon”. It's worth noting that they all occur on the weaker rhythmical musical beats.)

The net result of the above sonic landscape is that you've written a chorus that resonates and flows. Quite literally, it hums along just like the drive itself! This makes it easily memorised and enjoyable to sing. With every line, this chorus cleverly reinforces the song's hook by boosting the sounds of alliteration (the "m" sound), assonance (the long "a" sound) and consonance (the "k" sound) found in the title "Make It To Macon".

In addition, I really liked the inner-lyric rhymes of "wait/mistake", "diploma/Oklahoma", the weak syllable rhyme of "nicely/gently" and the relationship of "worth/words". I also liked the way you used hyperbole to develop the lyric content ("thousand words", "million reasons").

Lastly, I couldn't help but notice that because the singer is talking about a picture he's holding in his hands, your use of a variation of the saying "a picture's worth a thousand words" has no sense of 'cliche' about it whatsoever. Nice one!!

There's so much to talk about in this song but I'd better leave it there and save something for your next post smile

For what it's worth, I think that this is outstanding work! Thank you for sharing more of your excellent songwriting techniques.

All the best,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 09/21/14 06:26 PM. Reason: added a couple of extra thoughts

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
awesome thanks eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd ...

Another winner from you ... with a little help from Janice. Your voices blend splendidly.

I could see Montgomery-Gentry taking this and rocking it a bit. But, I like your solid country version as is. never a disappointment with anything you post. Super work and performance! best to ya ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

excellent, country music at its best.
Good background vocals by the janettes as always.
As I think I have said before your voice is perfect for this style of country.

+1 to the other comments also

thoroughly enjoyed

Alyn

User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
hi floyd!

great production – you really got a voice that "is perfect from this style of country", as alyn said!

there are so many great details in the arrangement , i would loved to hear the song with a little less drums, just a to make all the other things shine even more

MacUser!
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, this is really, really good. Fantastic lyrics, put together with a great feel. Just loved the way you used the double-rhyming like Noel mentioned. Very nice touch.

Definitely should be in the C&W Charts

Going back for another listen right now!

Trev

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Driving to Florida by way of Atlanta, making it to Macon was always the pit stop for us too. Cool idea for a song.

Solid write - well crafted country song - well sung. Gets me feeling good routing for the guy to get his girl back. I think Al might be on to something with dirtying up the production a bit but also agree that's it's fine as it is too and could go either way. There's lots to like here. I especially liked those higher parts added to the harmony.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi there Floyd,

As usual, another fine country song (although we never made it to Macon grin)
We think this song has one of those classic country themed lyrics.
Great quality and the same goes for Janice's background vocals.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Yep been on I75 in GA a number of times.

You have the knack for taking every day events and turning them into great country songs. This is no exception. As I have said many times I don't know why you are not signed yet. Each and every song that I have heard from you and you and Janice is ready for airtime IMHO.

Another winner!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Always know I'm in for a treat when I see a new post by you Floyd!! This is a fun little gem. You are a true craftsman-every note and word in place. Another cool tune!! Take care. Greg

Greg - thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: Skyline
Always know I'm in for a treat when I see a new post by you Floyd!! This is a fun little gem. You are a true craftsman-every note and word in place. Another cool tune!! Greg

+1 !

John

John - thanks for dropping in for a listen...

Originally Posted By: sixchannel
Hi Floyd
Yup, we've used I75 but to come South to A M I. What a wonderful place this is!
Great song! I've bought myself a good set of earphones for this tablet and it sounds really rich and full.
No critique from me - its just Sooper Dooper!
Cheers Ian

Ian - Thanks. Hope y'all are having fun in AMI. You have had a bit of rain down there the last few days...seems to be moving south now, so hopefully, you'll get some sun today...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: nobilis
Well, every time time you sang " make it on time" I was imagining " make her mine". And then you finally sang it! It was worth the wait. Great job as usual.

Patrick - thanks...

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
You left room for a follow up song with the story to whether you made it to Macon on time.

Good song and looking forward to hearing "the rest of the story"

Charlie

Well, Charlie... it's been a while since we heard one from you... perhaps you should write the follow up!... wink

Noel96 #263168 09/22/14 01:58 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
What initially captivated me with “Make It To Macon” was the sonic fabric of the chorus.

To my ears, the name 'Macon” has the following sonic characteristics: it has an “m” sound, a long “a” sound, a “k” sound and an “n” sound. As a bit of an exercise, I thought it would be interesting to look at those individual sounds in the chorus and note the words in which they occur. Table 1 below summarises my deconstruction.

Wow! Out of the 44 words that make up the chorus, 22 of them are directly related to reinforcing the four sounds found in “Macon” - see the yellow highlighting on the image below. That's a whopping 50%. Moreover, a number of these words multitask across multiple sounds (i.e. make, takes, mistake, change, mind).

When I looked a little more closely at the brickwork of the chorus, I found that there are only five syllables, in fact, that occur on the stronger rhythmical beats that aren't related sonically to “Macon”. I've highlighted those in the pink colour below. (The non-highlighted words are those that have no direct sonic relationship to the sounds in “Macon”. It's worth noting that they all occur on the weaker rhythmical musical beats.)

The net result of the above sonic landscape is that you've written a chorus that resonates and flows. Quite literally, it hums along just like the drive itself! This makes it easily memorised and enjoyable to sing. With every line, this chorus cleverly reinforces the song's hook by boosting the sounds of alliteration (the "m" sound), assonance (the long "a" sound) and consonance (the "k" sound) found in the title "Make It To Macon".

In addition, I really liked the inner-lyric rhymes of "wait/mistake", "diploma/Oklahoma", the weak syllable rhyme of "nicely/gently" and the relationship of "worth/words". I also liked the way you used hyperbole to develop the lyric content ("thousand words", "million reasons").
sharing more of your excellent songwriting techniques.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - Another delightful visit from you! And you are hitting on very important aspects of writing. The very things that make a song "singable" and memorable. It is all very "sonic". I have mentioned a number of times (in responses to others) about the "cadence" of a song and "how it falls on the ear". These are aspects of writing that you first need to recognize (obviously, you do) and then need to practice (by repetition - constant, continual writing). It eventually becomes "the way you write" - you don't really "think" about it - you just do it because that's what makes the best sense, sonically. As you noted in the "Do You Remember" thread, these things are not often in typical songwriting books - and more likely to be noted in books from other fields.... It's not difficult to develop - the big step is in the recognition. One of those light-bulb moments. If you are familiar with a particular (developing) writer for some time and that transition occurs, it is quite identifiable... "Ah...he gets it" kind of thing. It's a big level changer....

(btw... I've written VBA code behind MSAccess for years. Of the many languages I've coded in, it remains my favorite)

gibson #263239 09/23/14 07:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
awesome thanks eric

Thanks, eric.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Floyd ...

Another winner from you ... with a little help from Janice. Your voices blend splendidly.

I could see Montgomery-Gentry taking this and rocking it a bit. But, I like your solid country version as is. never a disappointment with anything you post. Super work and performance! best to ya ...

Alan & Di

Thanks, guys. Are M-G still at it? I thought they broke up... No one does (records) these type songs anymore... we have become relics... smile

Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd,

excellent, country music at its best.
Good background vocals by the janettes as always.
As I think I have said before your voice is perfect for this style of country.

+1 to the other comments also

thoroughly enjoyed Alyn

Alyn - thanks for the kind remarks... appreciate it... Long live the janettes!!!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I'm sorry I'm so late, but I had troubles with my new notebook. Now I finally can listen again.
This is one of your stories I like so much.
And I like the Janettes!
Only thing I can say about this production: professional.

Guenter

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,469
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195