Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#263356 - 09/24/14 07:03 PM [User Showcase] CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

CONVERSION BLUES

Alternate to SoundCloud: Conversion Blues

After several 12 bar blues tunes we decided to have a go at the 8 bar alternative — not the most common but it certainly worked for “Key To The Highway” and many others.

So I wrote some double entrendres for Janice to riff off of and she quickly came up with a melody and even more quickly recorded it. Mr jane kindly offered his new found blues chops again and following a short exchange of messages this is what emerged after mashing up some blues, country and jazz RT's.

Thanks for taking your time to listen and comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Janice & Bud

Vocal: Janice
Guitar Lead: floyd jane

Bass RT 1392 Jazz (diced/spliced to fit my bass player mentality)
Piano RT 2047 Country Swing
Guitar Rhythm 566 Blues
Drums Jazz Brushes

Rodes NT1 mic interfaced to Logic Pro X via Blue Icicle
Mixed in Logic
No mastering (the rare one)
All reverb via Ozone Necter's EMT-140 Plate Emulation

Edited by Janice & Bud (09/25/14 08:29 PM)

Check out our BiaB SoundCloud songs!
J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website
Our album "All Over The Map" is on Apple Music, Spotify and others.

#263358 - 09/24/14 07:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Always eager to hear your latest post. Top notch production and performance and Floyd's lead came in with just the right flavor for the mix. Janice really has the vocals for this type of song. That leaves Bud to do all the rest I guess. Terrific job by every one of you. Enjoyed, enjoyed, enjoyed.

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (09/24/14 07:14 PM)

#263375 - 09/25/14 12:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Janice and Bud,

Ah sexy little blues number - I wasn't sure what to expect from the title. Nice vocal as always and I especially like the sound of that piano sprinkled in and FJ's guitar. Interesting ending.

Enjoyed it.

Josie

#263382 - 09/25/14 02:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Janice, Bud and floyd

Beautiful vocals as always.
Janice's voice almost has an hypnotic quality,
there's a lovely little riff from the guitar 1.53 which caught my ear.

and "Blues boy" floyd hit the spots.

Alyn

#263388 - 09/25/14 08:15 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I listened to the song. Interesting song.

Sounds good.... you have the blues style singing pretty much under control.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#263395 - 09/25/14 09:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

nice collaboration. You have grown into real
blues pros.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#263399 - 09/25/14 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Just a quick "Thanks!" to J&B for asking me to join in on this.
Still just filling in for the real (vacationing) blues guy...

#263436 - 09/25/14 06:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Sundance]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Always eager to hear your latest post. Top notch production and performance and Floyd's lead came in with just the right flavor for the mix. Janice really has the vocals for this type of song. That leaves Bud to do all the rest I guess. Terrific job by every one of you. Enjoyed, enjoyed, enjoyed.

Charlie

We appreciate that Charlie. Janice's metamorphosis from bluegrass to blues has been really interesting and fun.

Bud

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Janice and Bud,

Ah sexy little blues number - I wasn't sure what to expect from the title. Nice vocal as always and I especially like the sound of that piano sprinkled in and FJ's guitar. Interesting ending.

Enjoyed it.

Josie

Thank you Josie. We knocked around several names for the tune and that one seemed to stick...as odd as it might seem :-) The ending? Well, Janice asked me my opinion on it for the second and final take....and I just said "go big." She knows I love those country bent note singers so..........

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#263450 - 09/25/14 08:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

HI ...

We went to listen but Soundcloud said, "oops, sorry. We can't find that track." Will try later.

We've always had a nightmare with Soundcloud. I know many folks here use it and apparently have few or no problems with it. We have problems with it much more often than we don't. We hardly ever post anything there these days.

Looking forward to hearing it. Will try again in a couple of hours.

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#263465 - 09/25/14 10:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Al-David]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
HI ...

We went to listen but Soundcloud said, "oops, sorry. We can't find that track." Will try later.

Alan - That link works now. Seemed that all of Soundcloud was down for a while...

#263468 - 09/25/14 11:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Al-David Offline
Veteran

hEY!

wENT AND LISTENED ON THE ALTERNATE LINK. Wow, that's some sweet blues! Great song and performance by all concerned.

As I was listening to this, (Di's already asleep), I heard a little bit of Susan Tedeshi and, to a lesser degree, Bonnie Rait, in Janice's vocal. That's pretty good company in my book.

Janice doesn;t have the grit in her voice that Bonnie Rait does, but a lot of her intonations are similar. And she has that same subtle hint of swing in her Blues that Susan Tedeshi often does.

And old Floyd is ripping some pretty nice notes on that axe! Not bad for a country boy!!!

That was one sweet listen! Also love how you left the ending unresolved in the five chord. I love it! I sometimes leave my endings in the four chord. But this worked out great with the five! Glad I finally got to listen. Totally loved it! Best to all of you ...

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#263518 - 09/26/14 12:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Another killer tune!! Loved the vocals, the lyrics, the guitar (is there anything that man can't do well?). Really nice job all the way around. Loved it!! Take care. Greg

#263564 - 09/26/14 04:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Guitarhacker]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: gibson
Janice, Bud and floyd

Beautiful vocals as always.
Janice's voice almost has an hypnotic quality,
there's a lovely little riff from the guitar 1.53 which caught my ear.

and "Blues boy" floyd hit the spots.

Alyn

Thanks Alyn. Janice smiled when she read it. Yes, that guitar riff stood out and when I had to regen the track I saved it and pasted it in the new one.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I listened to the song. Interesting song.

Sounds good.... you have the blues style singing pretty much under control.

Thanks Herb. Yep, I do think she has it under control. "Little Ole Thing Called Love" was number one on SoundClick's Jazz Vocal chart for nearly three weeks and that, plus support of forum folks, helped convince her she was making the move from bluegrass to blues work.

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#263645 - 09/27/14 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: floyd jane]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice, Bud and Floyd,

nice collaboration. You have grown into real
blues pros.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thanks Guenter, we most appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Just a quick "Thanks!" to J&B for asking me to join in on this.
Still just filling in for the real (vacationing) blues guy...

You nailed it blues jane -- thanks!

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#263714 - 09/27/14 11:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Well done. Great vocal and guitar performances.
Thanks for posting
SD

#263785 - 09/28/14 07:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Al-David]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Al-David
hEY!

wENT AND LISTENED ON THE ALTERNATE LINK. Wow, that's some sweet blues! Great song and performance by all concerned.

As I was listening to this, (Di's already asleep), I heard a little bit of Susan Tedeshi and, to a lesser degree, Bonnie Rait, in Janice's vocal. That's pretty good company in my book.

Janice doesn;t have the grit in her voice that Bonnie Rait does, but a lot of her intonations are similar. And she has that same subtle hint of swing in her Blues that Susan Tedeshi often does.

And old Floyd is ripping some pretty nice notes on that axe! Not bad for a country boy!!!

That was one sweet listen! Also love how you left the ending unresolved in the five chord. I love it! I sometimes leave my endings in the four chord. But this worked out great with the five! Glad I finally got to listen. Totally loved it! Best to all of you ...

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all. Janice is beaming after being mentioned in the same sentence as those two! Glad you liked the V chord ending. I thought the "is it sexual or religious imagery? conflict I tried to shoot for in the write begged the unresolved ending. Thanks again!!

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#263929 - 09/30/14 10:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Greg Johnson]
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Another killer tune!! Loved the vocals, the lyrics, the guitar (is there anything that man can't do well?). Really nice job all the way around. Loved it!! Take care. Greg

Thank you Greg. We had a large time doing this one.

J&B YouTube Sampler
J&B Website

#263965 - 09/30/14 04:54 PM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland

Hi, Bud, Janice and Floyd !:))

I also love everything about this
production ! Can´t say it any better
than already said so I just say
congrats to all involved !:))

Cheers
Dani

#264033 - 10/01/14 10:00 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Hi y'all!

The writing (J&B), Bud's production and Janice's always wonderful singing are the main stuff here... but a little "thanks" to those who made mention of the guitar guy in this 'un....

wink

fj

#264037 - 10/01/14 10:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: CONVERSION BLUES with Blues Man jane [Re: Janice & Bud]
soolan Offline
Apprentice

What a voice (may I please say sexy), LOVE that the vocal was right up front, so clear. Can you imagine if Brit Spears tried that? Guitar work is outstanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Spanish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 para Windows® está aquí!

Nuevas características
Todos los Paquetes

Video - Repeats & Endings Dialog Overview for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

In our latest video, video we go over the Repeats & Endings Dialog within Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Learn more...

This video includes information on repeats, 1st/2nd endings, dc al coda, ds al coda, dc al fine, ds al fine, and Fake Sheet Mode.

Testimonial - Woody Piano Shack's Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box®

Check out our latest Video Testimonial from Woody of Woody Piano Shack! Woody uses Band-in-a-Box primarily as a training tool within his YouTube channel and private lessons. He's been a Band-in-a-Box user since the Atari ST days, and is very impressed with the evolution of our program - watch and you'll see! Click here...

Video - Audio Harmony Overview in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows

We've updated our Audio Harmony Overview video using the latest Band-in-a-Box 2019 for Windows program! Watch now...

Learn even more about Audio Harmonies using the Online Manual, here.

Danish Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 til Windows® er klar!

Pakker
Nye funktioner

Dutch Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows is Here!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 voor Windows® is hier!

Pakketten
Nieuwe Functies

Video - Band-in-a-Box® for Windows: Simple Arrangement

Head into the RealTracks Picker window, and you'll see a [ ] Simpler option - but what does that mean? Anthony explains in our latest video, here.

Forum Stats
29482 Members
60 Forums
58081 Topics
487780 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
rahesaba, Screwloose, rvman, arimail, derStephan

29482 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Jim 140
Noel96 125