Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Macintosh
S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I'm wondering if anyone out there has seen this problem.

I'm getting serious pops and stumbles of audio on RT in BIAB2009Win on a MacBook Pro (under Fusion or in a Bootcamp Windows XP Home) when my audio output is USB interface to a Roland SonicCell. Audio using the internal circuitry or a FireWire interface works fine.

What's strange is that CPU and RAM both have plenty of room to spare. The noise gets worse with time. I called Apple and they blame Microsoft (duh). I also get it whether using MME or ASIO. I've tried bumping up the buffer, but then my timing is insanely out of sync (and I still get the noise).

The noise sounds like loud pop and crackles, and the whole song starts to stumble (yet, CPU remains low).

I talked with Roland about this and they suggested that it sounds like the sample rate is too high; supposed to be no higher than 44.1k/16bit.

Any ideas?

(BTW, please no suggestions to change to the BB2009Mac; I'm sticking with the Win version for now.)

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I don't think the sample rate is the issue.

Is there a place to adjust the number of samples being buffered by your SonicCell? This can be done sometimes in the music application, like Logic. Sometimes there is an applet for the sound card. The applet might be a stand alone app or could be in Control Panel. If you can find it, make the number of samples larger. Say from 256 to 512. This will probably fix the stuttering problem, but raising the number of samples processed will introduce a small amount of latency.

Some sound card managers let you adjust the buffer time, instead of the numbers of samples. In that case just increase the number. Say from 1ms to 2ms.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
*Have you tried all available USB connections for the SonicCell? (Not all USB ports are created equal, sometimes there is only one that is true USB 2 rather than 1.1, although I'm not certain how all the different Macs handle that, I would think Mac would handle it better than that "other" brand does, but it is worth checking out.

Not only does the USB 1.1 vs the higher bandwidth available via a USB 2 port come to mind, also the sharing of devices internally in the Mac may have something to do with your problem, so trying any other USB ports again would be what I'd be doing next.

Too many USB devices hooked up at the same time might be fighting for bandwidth and attention also. An audio USB device can chew up a heckuva lot of bandwidth.

At the end of the day, the DRIVERS of the SonicCell may be the culprit. Don't know. Worth checking the mfr's website for any possible updates on that front.

Luck,

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
darryla also makes a good point worth checking out.

--Mac

S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
darryla,
Regarding buffers, I've tried more and the delay becomes huge; very difficult to figure out the correct delay compensation. I'm pretty sure I still got stuttering, but I'll try it again.

Last edited by shunyun; 06/18/09 12:53 PM.
S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Mac,
Well, that's the strange thing about it. I don't get this problem when playing through Mac drivers. And I'm pretty sure it's not a VMWare thing because I get the same behavior in Bootcamp (booting the Mac with the Windows XP operating system). I'm positive that I don't see the problem with Windows Media Player, but I'm going to try this again tonight. I'll post notes.

S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
I tried increasing the buffer and that did improve on the problem, though not 100%. I tried adjusting the timing offset, (about 1280ms) and although they start off at about the same time, they (midi and audio) don't seem to stay in sync with each other. The audio seems to stumble on whatever and then timing is off.

BTW, let me reiterate that this is BIAB2009 for Windows, not Mac. I originally posted this to the Windows forum but it was moved to the Mac forum. Probably makes sense, since no Windows user would run BIAB in a VMWare session... just wanted to make sure you know which we're talking about.

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Hi Shunyun,
I to was getting mysterious pops and stutters when using an Alesis IO/26 on a windows partition using boot camp on my iMac intel core duo. I disabled my network settings in the control panel, restarted and everything was fine. I did have to recheck all of my settings for real tracks and real drums as they are on an external hard drive.

Hope this helps.
Bill
PS. The mac version is awesome as well. So far flawless performance.

S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Quote:

Hope this helps.
Bill
PS. The mac version is awesome as well. So far flawless performance.

Thanks Bill... I tried your suggestion, whacked everything I could. Still no dice. What's really got me frustrated is that the SC works great under the Mac OS. But BootCamp or under Fusion, it sucks.

And no, compared to the Windows version, the new BB for Mac is not flawless. For me, at least. I spent huge dollars on my SonicCell and I can't even use the high banks (hit F5 on the first measure, you'll see something important missing). Course, the Windows version is pretty useless on my Mac as well... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Hi Shunyun,
Re-read your post and missed the most obvious. Are you saying that your interface doesn't work correctly with Real Tracks, not BIAB? If so, I had the same problem with BIAB and RT. BIAB was solved by disabling network prefs, in the control panel. Real Tracks pops and crackles were solved by completely removing the Alesis driver, deleting all references to the driver, reinstalling same. Also, there is a monitoring control that I had to tweak on my IO/26. I am not familiar with the Roland unit, so not much help. I can say that I eventually did get RT to work with my iMac.

Also, I didn't say that the Mac version is flawless compared to the Windows version. My post says that so far, the Mac version is running flawlessly using RD, RT and BIAB on my iMac. The only thing I did was disable network and bluetooth settings. No crashes, no pops, no crackles.

Hope you can get your system straightened out.

Good Luck
Bill

S
shunyun Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Thanks Bill and all. I eventually gave in and bought the BIAB 2009 Mac. My reasoning is that, if I'm going to spend any energy reporting bugs, it's going to be for my preferred platform. I'm in IT, so I do this for a living; not exactly what I want to do in my personal art time. But if I'm gonna do it, I'm not going to waste my time with a flawed operating system.

So to wrap up this thread, I believe that the problem lies with Apple's USB drivers for MS Windows. It's the only common factor between VMWare Fusion and Bootcamp. I don't blame them really, it was mostly a concession to enable Windows users to get exposed to a real OS. ;-)

Again, thanks for your help.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195