Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#265108 - 10/10/14 05:04 AM [User Showcase] The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid)
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

The Gates of Babylon
You sit alone at the table
While I take my coffee in bed
Our happy home's just a no-man's land
Where even angels refuse to tread

Angry words fall silent
Now that we've said much too much
I hold back my hurt inside
You hold back your touch

Chorus
I could scale the Zagros mountains
Or be covered by salty sea
But I can't bridge this emptiness
Dividing you from me

Close your eyes and pray for sleep
But prayers fall on deaf ears
We hold our breath and count the hours
Until the morning sun reappears

Lost without direction
Unwilling to turn around
Falling apart together
Divided by common ground

So many bridges burned
Too many chances gone
Now that we've been turned away
At the gates of Babylon

RealTracks
364 - Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev065
366 - Bass, Electric, Country Ev 065
891 - Piano, Acoustic, Solo Accompaniment PopLiverpool Ev065
897 - Guitar, 12-String Acoustic, Rhythm FolkRock Ev16 065
908 - Bass, Electric, SmoothBallad Ev16 065
910 - Piano, Electric, Rhythm SmoothBallad Ev16 065
1074 - Piano, Electric, Soloist SmoothJazzBallad delay Ev16 065
1543 - SynthPad, PopBelieve Ev16 065
1676 - Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 065

Vocaloids: Avanna and YOHIOloid

Yes, it's another Vocaloid performance. The original POV was a male singer, but I liked the "Avanna" Vocaloid when I tracked it, so I went ahead and altered the lyrics to fit a bit better.

This is a slightly different take on The Water Is Wide. More of "No, I'm not kidding - I really can't cross over."

Floyd Jane will (rightly) point out that the language is a bit too pretentious in places, and undercuts the lyrics. In my defense, I was trying to channel Al Stewart when I penned the lyrics, so the obscure references stayed in. The original version of the second verse used "maelstrom" in it, so the grandiloquent-o-meter rating was scaled back a tad during the rewrite.

At the last minute I noticed sloppy lyric writing:

Angry words fall silent
Now that we've said much too much
You hold back your anger
I hold back my touch

I was almost too lazy to change it, but a visit with Mr. Thesaurus cleared that up, and I got some alliteration to boot. (But does it count for silent letters?)

As usual, comments of all sorts are welcome.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#265139 - 10/10/14 09:38 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
David,

I really like this!

Wonderful opening! The e piano then the blend of the acoustic guitar... beautiful! Worth stealing that! (I will give you credit, of course..). The first couple lines of the vocal are so close to "real" that it makes you want that "girl" to turn into a real voice (like in a Disney movie) - it is nice!

An excellent piece of songwriting. I have no issues at all with anything wink ... It all seems quite natural - which is all that ever matters. Solid, solid writing. Opening with "furniture" and then moving later to emotion...very well done. I commend you, also, on avoiding the typical clichés of the what-has-happened-to-us song. You captured the emotions in fresh ways...

One lyric suggestion... I may be misinterpreting this... in your chorus,
"I could scale the Zagros mountains
Or be covered by salty sea"
Should that be "Or cover the salty sea"? (I would write it as "I could cover the salty sea" - to give you that repetition)
Basically... I can climb mountains, I can span oceans... (I don't get "being underwater")...

Beautiful melody!

The lead instrument was a surprise (a nice one. You did not list it, so I did not want to give it away here..if that was your intent). In the first half of it, I feel that there were too many "quick phrases" - the opening is nice, but is followed by too many flourishes (if you know what I mean).. the second half has more held notes which fit the feel of the song better and I think the overall lead would benefit from more of that happening in the first half of it... (the ending works very well).

Did I say "I really like this!"???

Man! This is NICE!

floyd

oh.. forgot the mention - excellent production, excellent mix... (got so wrapped up in the song itself)

Edited by floyd jane (10/10/14 09:48 AM)

#265143 - 10/10/14 10:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
David, this is definitely the song on the forum with the 'feel'. My favorite of yours so far. The feel is the song that just hearing it one time, you know it has mainstream appeal and potential. This is a winner as far as lyrics, melody and structure go. I think the changes you made for the song to fit Avanna were spot on and perfect for this song.

My only suggestion would be to find a way to entice Rob and Anne-Marie from here on the forum to collaborate on the vocals with you. Her vocals and their harmonies would really be icing on the cake.

Great Job All Around!!
Charlie

#265158 - 10/10/14 01:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: floyd jane]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
I really like this!

Thanks, you made my morning! smile

Quote:
Wonderful opening!

I got lucky on that. I was trying to find something that would be simple, and when I tried the electric piano, it was the obvious choice (a continuing homage to Al Stewart, linking to "Time Passages"). I added some delay to it, brought in the guitar, and for once was sensible enough to leave it alone at that. grin

Quote:
An excellent piece of songwriting. I have no issues at all with anything wink

smile The initial idea focused on traveling through the desert until the arrival "at the gates of Babylon", and spent too much time on abstract language. The introduction came from trying to anchoring the lyric in reality before getting lost in my own metaphors.

Fortunately the rewrite jettisoned a lot of the meandering lyrics.

Quote:
One lyric suggestion... I may be misinterpreting this... in your chorus,
"I could scale the Zagros mountains
Or be covered by salty sea"

Should that be "Or cover the salty sea"?

It's like you've read my mind here. The line is basically a quote from "The Water Is Wide":

The water is wide, I can't cross over
And neither have I wings to fly

The original version of the lyric was:

I could scale the Zagros mountains
Or sail salty sea

It carries the metaphor better, and has the inner rhyme of scale/sail.

But I wanted to also capture that feeling of wanting to run to the heights or drown in the sea when a relationship goes bad. The result is (as you noted) a bit of a compromise that does neither.

There is a strong case for mangled metaphors in language. Check out Shakespeare's Genius is Nonsense - the article title is too clever for its own good, since it's also a double meaning.

But I don't think the line really works, and I'd been thinking about how it could be rewritten.

Quote:
The lead instrument was a surprise

I love that trumpet! I just forgot to list it.

This time I planned ahead, and included the RealTrack number in the exported .wav file name so I could list the instruments I'd used later. The solo comes so late in the track the I simply missed it.

You nailed my thoughts on the solo exactly. I'm got an aversion to silence during solos, and I think in this case "less is more" might be the solution.

I'm still wondering about the balance between the lyric and the instruments. My co-worker consistently has trouble understanding the vocals on my mixes (and not just the Vocaloids), so getting vocal clarity is something I'm still struggling with.

Thanks again!

#265162 - 10/10/14 02:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi David,

A beautiful song and the voice sounds almost like real. If you don't know it's a Vocaloid, you won't notice the difference. Only if you do know, you can hear the slight problems this "voice" has, while going from one word to another sometimes.
I like both the melody very much as well as the atmosphere.
Well done.

Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#265170 - 10/10/14 03:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Charlie Fogle]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
My favorite of yours so far.

Thanks!

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to find a way to entice Rob and Anne-Marie from here on the forum to collaborate on the vocals with you.

I'm open to that! Whether they trust their vocals to my mixing is another matter. wink

#265174 - 10/10/14 03:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: RnAM]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: R & AM
A beautiful song and the voice sounds almost like real.

Hi, Anne-Marie.

Yes, it's amazing how much better an English-speaking Vocaloid can be when English is the voice supplier's native language. The other Vocaloid I've got is based on a Swedish singer, and even though he's trying to do an American (ooops... mid-Atlantic") accent, it's not entirely successful. There's been rumor of an native English speaking male Vocaloid for a while, and I'd love to have that.

There are still some interesting challenges with a "native" Vocaloid. For example, she sings "salty" as "shalty". A bit of cut and pasting took care of that. The words "at the" came out as "atuh" because the initial "t" sound was so strong.

I'm such a geek about this stuff. smile

Thanks!

#265176 - 10/10/14 03:38 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Iceland
Icelander Offline
Veteran

Loc: Iceland
The words of the lyrics suffer for the artificial voice quite a bit here, but the "triple M's" - melody, music & mix - it's all very nice & smooth cool

#265193 - 10/10/14 05:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Icelander]
Loc: Upstate NY
Dan45 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Upstate NY
Very nice, and thought provoking!

I had no idea what to expect, as there is a song by the same name from the mid-70's band Rainbow (Ritchie Blackmore's band after Deep Purple). If you are familiar with that then this is.....ahh.....QUITE different!

Outstanding arrangement and I am fascinated by this whole idea of Vocaloid. I want to hear more of your stuff!
Godin Nylon String Synth Access Guitar

#265230 - 10/10/14 11:14 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Icelander]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Icelander
The words of the lyrics suffer for the artificial voice quite a bit here, but the "triple M's" - melody, music & mix - it's all very nice & smooth cool

Glad you liked it! If the Vocaloid folk don't come up with a better English-speaking male voice, I may be forced to finish up my own voice synthesis project... shocked

#265232 - 10/10/14 11:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Dan45]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Dan45
Very nice, and thought provoking!

I looked up the Rainbow version on YouTube. Fun song, but slightly different to it. smile

Thanks for the positive feedback!

#265252 - 10/11/14 08:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
David,
Don't be so hard on yourself. This is beautiful song and arrangement. The vocaloid choice with just right. Thanks for sharing.
SD

#265264 - 10/11/14 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi David,

as Charlie said "this is definitely the song on the forum with the 'feel'. My favorite of yours so far. The feel is the song that just hearing it one time, you know it has mainstream appeal and potential. This is a winner as far as lyrics, melody and structure go."
I'm just having my 5th listen. A beautiful piece.
I don't know if a "real" voice can make it better.

Guenter

#265267 - 10/11/14 12:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: SpaceDog]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Don't worry, I'm fine - that's just the way I think about stuff.

Thanks!

#265269 - 10/11/14 12:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: boehm]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
Jim Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC USA
David, I found the lyrics to be very emotional. Great job of matching the vocaloid to the song. Enjoyed the production. It's a nice listen. I liked the use of harmonies in this song. In many songs harmony is overused and too out front. You blended the harmony into the song in a very pleasing manner.
i3 laptop, 64bit Win 7, 8 GB ram, 480GB SSD
Music at: http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

#265275 - 10/11/14 12:28 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: boehm]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
My favorite of yours so far.

Thanks!

I've got a cluttered house full of noisy teenagers, and my computer is in the middle of it all. So it can be a challenge to find the space and quiet needed to record vocals! smile

I just wish there were a better male Vocaloid voice available. Working with this is getting me prepared to start working on my voice synthesis program again...

#265288 - 10/11/14 03:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Really beautiful song!! I would love to hear a traditional vocal performance on it. Lyrics are excellent-really emotional and crafted well but not over crafted. Excellent!! Take care. Greg

#265327 - 10/11/14 09:53 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: Greg Johnson]
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really beautiful song!! I would love to hear a traditional vocal performance on it.

Thanks, Greg!

I asked a friend today if she would sing on it. She said she liked the lyrics, but I made the "classic mistake" of giving it a sweet melody. She suggested I speed up the tempo, and make the arrangement bluesy to match the lyric. Oh, well. (Not a bad suggestion, really, but not going to happen. But I now know someone to contact when I do write a bluesy song). laugh

#265340 - 10/12/14 06:13 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi David,

This is definitely a creation to be proud of. You've scaled and conquered songwriting mountains here. The melody and its arrangement are testimony to your fine ability with music. Couple these with such poignant lyrics and the creation is complete. I thoroughly enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

#265353 - 10/12/14 12:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Gates of Babylon (Vocaloid) [Re: dcuny]
Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Steve Young Offline
Expert

Loc: Canyon Lake, TX
Absolutely beautiful, David! Very well written. Any nits that I would have with the lyrics would strictly be personality differences. I would like to hear this with a "real" singer. Nothing against the Vocaloid. It's a useful tool for "non-singers", but this song deserves to be heard right. I think it's that good. As an arranger, I always enjoy your work. Good use of instrumentation, and the music enhances, and never gets in the way of the emotions of the song.

Did I say I like this?

Looking forward to hearing more.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Get your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Bonus PAK Today!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac during our special (which has been EXTENDED to October 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac® - 49-PAK Overview

Listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Xtra Styles PAK 7 for Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Special Extended!

The verdict is in, and everyone agrees that Xtra Styles PAK 7 is incredible!

There are 164 unbelievable new RealStyles that await you in Xtra Styles PAK 7! We've dreamed up some surprising new arrangements for your songwriting, production, and teaching needs in four volumes: Jazz 7, Country 7, Rock/Pop 7, and Americana 2.

The possibilities seem endless with these fully-produced styles, like atmospheric folk, Western swing chicken pickin', dreamy Southern rock, smooth jazz with world percussion, Brazilian samba, acoustic grunge, and '90s R&B. We've even included two great new MultiStyles that use up to eight substyles! Do yourself a favor and take home this comprehensive and imaginative collection of styles today!

SPECIAL EXTENDED!!! Get all 164 new RealStyles in the All Xtra Styles PAK 7 for only $29 until October 31st! (Reg. $49)

Specific genre packages are also available for $15 each!

For more information and to listen to demos, click here.

Mac user? You'll find your Xtra Styles PAKs here.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Build 309 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac customers can download the latest FREE patch update here.

Summary of changes for Build 309:
Fixed: The Chord Builder is disabled if previously opened before using a modal dialog (eg. Style Picker, Set Tempo).
Fixed: The program might crash when selecting RealTracks in the Best RealTracks dialog (eg. #2541).
Fixed: Wrong notes in Oohs and Aahs RealTracks.
Improved: Higher dots-per-inch printing.
Added: [Print Chords Only] button added to the Print Options dialog.

EXTENDED! Our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Ends October 31st!

You haven't missed our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac special, which has been extended to October 31st!

There's still time to purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac Upgrade at up to 50% off, and receive a FREE Bonus PAK full of great Add-ons!

Plus, our latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac is compatible with the just-released macOS Catalina - upgrades start at just $49!

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 Build 2 Update Available!

PowerTracks Pro Audio 2019 users can download the FREE Build 2 patch update here

Summary of Changes in Build 2:
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.
Fixed: Loading in a MusicXML file could result in MIDI notes of zero instead of the currect MIDI notes.
Fixed: Dragging a file into the tracks window didn't always result in the effects slot for the track being setup properly for the file type dragged in.
Fixed: When inserting hard rest, and answering Yes to question about removing notes for the peg, it would remove notes from both clefs instead of the clef that the rest was inserted on.
Fixed: Potential access violation when deleting a note in staff window.
Fixed: Potential jukebox access violation if there were songs with the entire path of the filename being 256 characters or greater loaded into jukebox.
Fixed: Jukebox not playing the playlist in correct order in certain situations involving stopping/restarting, etc.
Fixed: When loading in a MusicXML file that has a specific guitar fretboard defined that matches one of our fretboards, the guitar tablature type will now be set for the notation.
Fixed: Ability to load in .MXL (compresssed musicXML file) as well as ability to load normal noncompressed musicXML file with the new .musicxml extension instead of just .XML.
Fixed: Hammer ons, pull offs, and slides are now being saved to MusicXML files.
Fixed: Exceptionally jittery timing indicator in the notation window during playback compared to older versions of RealBand.
Fixed: If the start of a generated section of a song didn't have a chord entered at the beginning of the section, then it could default to a C major chord instead of the most recent chord prior to the section.
Fixed: Potential access violation if song has micro-pegs and multiple notes on a peg.
Fixed: Accidental element that specified whether a note was displayed as sharp/flat wasn't eing saved to XML, even though the correct pitch of the note itself was saved.

RealBand 2019 Build 5 Update Available!

All RealBand 2019 for Windows customers can download the latest FREE patch update (build 5) here.

Summary of Changes in Build 5 (Oct 10)
Fixed: Sometimes the position of the VST/DX plugs window (even if not visible) would prevent a drop, such as into the drop station, from occurring.
Fixed: When batch converting files, the volume of some file types such as wav/mp3/wma/mp4, etc. would be too low.
Fixed: In Chords Window, you could not enter held chords on Piano track.
Fixed: LeadSheet might not display tied notes on the last bar of a track.
Fixed: Pressing "M" key in Editable Notation to insert a new note at the current time location on the Staff was inserting a duplicate note rather than inserting it above an existing note.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for macOS Catalina

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac we added Drum Notation Support, and we didn't stop there! Other Notation Enhancements added in this new version are:

-A new track type (Drums) is available for the Melody and Soloist tracks.
-Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on it.
-Holding down the control key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
-In the Notation Window Options dialog, the clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
-Notation is much clearer, not jagged, on retina screens.
-The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
-The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
-There is a keystroke entry mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, M to enter a third note, up/down cursor to change the pitch of the highlighted note, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
-You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

Read more about the Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit for Mac here. Watch this feature 'in action' with our new features video - jump to this topic when you click here.

...and don't forget - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Mac upgrades are ON SALE until October 15th, up to 50% off! Order now!

Forum Stats
30242 Members
62 Forums
60251 Topics
508432 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Derek Abrams, Cobbyco, michaelantipode, redShed, mshane

30241 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 181
Noel96 151