Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#265481 10/14/14 04:39 AM
Recording, Mixing, Performance and Production
A
OP Offline
A
Hello fellow BIAB users. grin

I hope someone can help me. I just can't seem to export the MIDI files into Sonar. Once I use the export option and open the MIDI file, there is nothing in the tracks. What am I doing wrong?

Also, I can export the entire BIAB song into WAV and open that in Sonar, but can I have different instruments on different WAV tracks?

I'd like to edit in Sonar some of the sounds and notes in the songs created by BIAB before finishing.

Veteran
Veteran
How I do it.

If I export from BiaB (BB for short), I first create a new folder on the desk top or somewhere else where I know where it is.

In the WAV icon, I select that folder and send the files.

HOWEVER, most of the time, I don't work that way. I get the song right in BB.... exactly how I want it.... then I save it and close BB.

I open REAL BAND (RB) and load that BB file. RB populates the tracks accordingly. Aby files that are not rendered to wave are rendered as midi near the top. Waves are rendered below them.

At this point, I have set up a number of blank wave tracks and midi tracks in Sonar. Once again I use the folder and export the waves one at a time to that folder. You can also copy and paste waves direct to the wave track in sonar. Midi files will also copy and paste directly to midi tracks in Sonar. You first must HIGHLIGHT the file in RB... be sure the entire track is highlighted/selected. Then it becomes a simple copy and paste function.

I prefer to work in audio with waves and will only use midi if there's no other way. When I do, I often am selecting it for a softsynth in my stable of synths to play.

I use that folder I mentioned to save ALL files.... MUG, SGU, tracks, final versions in one convenient place. So, if 4 years from now, I want to work on that song or a publisher wants a cue from it, I simply find the folder on my backup drive, open it, and waaa laaa, everything's there, just as I left it last.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/14/14 05:07 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Veteran
Veteran
If you have one of the newer versions of BiaB transferring tracks to Sonar X3 is very simple.

In BiaB click on the DAW Plugin Icon then look at the options as you can transfer MIDI as either MIDI tracks or audio tracks. Click on DAW Plugin again. I then make the BiaB program window smaller so it shows only the top part of the BiaB screen.

Open Sonar, note that BiaB will stay in the foreground so you cane see both programs. Also note it doesn't matter in what order you open the programs and that this works best if BiaB uses WDM/MME audio drivers and Sonar uses ASIO drivers.

If every track is MIDI in BiaB click on the master icon and drop and drag it into an open track in Sonar. All of your BiaB MIDI tracks will are now copied into Sonar as separate MIDI tracks.

If the BiaB tracks are a combination of MIDI and RTs then each BiaB track must be drop and dragged individually into Sonar.

Close BiaB and you should be all set.

Good luck

PS - I have to run now but if you need more help and/or pictures I will be back this afternoon.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
A
OP Offline
A
Hi GuitarHacker,

I've followed your instructions, but when RealBand renders the song, it is all over the place (different instruments with different timing) and the audio (which I don't want or need) is a different tempo too.

Last edited by acmesounds; 10/15/14 04:13 AM.
A
OP Offline
A
Hi MarioD,

I have BIAB 2013 and I don't seem to have a DAW icon?

Last edited by acmesounds; 10/15/14 04:13 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: acmesounds
Hi GuitarHacker,

I've followed your instructions, but when RealBand renders the song, it is all over the place (different instruments with different timing) and the audio (which I don't want or need) is a different tempo too.

I've never had that happen. The instruments are the same, timing should NOT change, and TEMPO should not change either.

The performance by the instruments may vary a bit but not appreciably. That is the nature of the real tracks used. If you take the same exact real track, and use it to make, lets say 3 or 4 supposedly identical tracks, you will notice that there are subtle differences in them. Lead tracks (solo) tend to vary more. I used this feature to comp 5 leads into one finished solo in a song.

If there is a huge difference between the BB version and RB version... to include the tempo and timing.... you need to investigate why. That should NOT be happening.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: acmesounds
Hi MarioD,

I have BIAB 2013 and I don't seem to have a DAW icon?

I don't have BiaB 2013 on my machine but I am sure there was an icon for that but I can't remember where.

When you say export option in your initial I assumed that you mean file/make a standard MIDI file. Be sure to check all of your options. I have been caught a couple of times when I choose for example to export only measures 100-120 and set the export accordingly. Then a few days later I come back to export a song that only has 80 measures and I get nothing because I forgot to reset the export option! Resetting that back to the whole song solved everything.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Could the change in pitch and tempo have anything to do with BiaB and Sonar X3 having different settings? BiaB is 16 bit depth and 44.1k sample rate while, if memoy serves me correctly, if you have Sonar set to work with both audio and video files, its default settings are 24 bit depth and 48k sample rate. The difference in sample rate would change tempo and pitch by a little less than 10%. Sonar can be set up to automatically convert imported files as a background task but the conversion may not have happened in this case. I would be checking Sonar settings. One way to avoid this issue is to set all your music creation programs to work at the lowest common denominator. In this instance that is 16/44.1k

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everyone. I'll investigate this over this weekend and report.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Veteran
Veteran
Good points about the sample rate. I've seen folks come into the Sonar forums through the years with sample rate mismatch issues. And they are problematic.

Do check that. I don't think the bit rates are as big an issue.... at least not for me.

I always record at 24 bits, sampled at 44.1k and no doubt some folks are sending me 16 bit tracks for inclusion into my projects on collabs and commercial things..... there's never an issue playing either and my mixdown always converts the final mix to 16/44.1 (CD quality)

Some of the commercial formats do use 48k sample rates so check to see that everything in your recording setup is set to use the same rate...and for standard audio.... 44.1k is the choice and industry standard.

www.herbhartley.com

Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I should not have mentioned bit depth as bit depth has nothing to do with pitch or tempo. Just a little foot in the mouth disease there blush

It will be interesting to read what is discovered.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
A
OP Offline
A
Hi!!!

OK. I am getting somewhere. When I bring the files into Realband they are STILL all over the place. The pitch seems OK, but but the timing is out between the drums file, the singing and the guitar. I guess the singing is out because I changed the timing later, but I have no idea why the two guitars and drums are still out.

MarioD - I found the DAW icon in Realband. It actually shows a big word "Plugin" and a very small word "DAW" underneath. This opened the different tracks. Then I exported track by track and imported into Sonar.

Thank you for guiding me through getting audio files through. Now, I still have to work out how to get midi files through so that I can edit in Sonar. Then can I import into BIAB - then Realband and back to Sonar??

PS I checked the audio settings in BIAB, Realband and Sonar - all are 44K 16bit.

Last edited by acmesounds; 10/18/14 11:53 PM.
A
OP Offline
A
I've just uploaded the tracks to show you what I mean.

The original BIAB track - (which I output to wav from BIAB) is called Berklee Assignment 6 Love Says Farewell

Then when I take the track into Real Band - the result is Love Says Farewell Render.WAV

My soundcloud is https://soundcloud.com/renata-sajko

Veteran
Veteran
Does your MIDI project in BIAB have any tempo changes put into it at certain bars? If so, you'll need to go into Sonar's tempo map and input the same tempo changes at the relevant bars.

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the tip skyline - but no tempo changes in the song at all. A steady 82bpm through the whole track.

Veteran
Veteran
Renata, are you still having trouble getting audio or MIDI tracks from BIAB into Sonar? I'll try and help.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted By: Skyline
Renata, are you still having trouble getting audio or MIDI tracks from BIAB into Sonar? I'll try and help.

John

I sure am. Would love your help! These are my two problems:

1. Saving to MIDI from BIAB - importing into Sonar - nothing in the MIDI tracks.
2. Opening file from BIAB into RealBand causes the tracks to be out of sync.

If I can't figure out what is causing No.2 - I can import the track into Sonar and cut and nudge it I guess.

Any ideas with these two issues would be greatly appreciated. smile

Last edited by acmesounds; 10/19/14 03:28 AM.
Veteran
Veteran
Why are you using RealBand as a matter of interest? I use BIAB to prepare audio and MIDI tracks for transfer into Sonar. I've actually never used RealBand, so I can't help with No.2 I'm afraid.

When trying to bring a MIDI BIAB track into Sonar, you're not by any chance trying to drag a RealTracks instrument into the MIDI quadrant of the file drag/transfer box? I had brain fade a few weeks ago and was trying to do that...

Getting a MIDI file into Sonar:
Method (1) You have to use 'Open With' in Sonar and not 'Import'. I don't know why that is - MIDI even shows up as an option when you select 'Import'. So click 'Open With' and navigate to where your MIDI file is.
Method (2) If you've managed to save the MIDI file somewhere that you made from BIAB in a folder or on the desktop, try (with Sonar closed), right clicking on that file and choose 'Open with', then select SONARPDR.EXE, or if that's not showing on the list, follow 'Choose default program' and navigate to SONARPDR.EXE.

John

Last edited by Skyline; 10/19/14 03:59 AM. Reason: stuff added

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Veteran
Veteran
Acmesounds, you can drop and drag from BiaB straight into Sonar using the DAW plugin in BiaB. Have you tried that?

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Skyline

Getting a MIDI file into Sonar:
Method (1) You have to use 'Open With' in Sonar and not 'Import'. I don't know why that is - MIDI even shows up as an option when you select 'Import'. So click 'Open With' and navigate to where your MIDI file is.
Method (2) If you've managed to save the MIDI file somewhere that you made from BIAB in a folder or on the desktop, try (with Sonar closed), right clicking on that file and choose 'Open with', then select SONARPDR.EXE, or if that's not showing on the list, follow 'Choose default program' and navigate to SONARPDR.EXE.

John

John, You can import a MIDI file in Sonar X3e. Click on a MIDI track then click on file/import/midi. I use this method most all of the time. When you use this method the MIDI file will loose it's tempo data and the file will use the existing Sonar tempo data.

If you want to keep the original MIDI tempo data you have to use your method #2.

You can also use BiaB's MIDI plugin drop and drag method, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Expert
Expert
I've used BiaB for almost a year...not an expert. This PG Music video highlights the 'drag and drop' Drop Box function...it starts at about minute 16:00.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOvqyQ27tuA

Guitarhacker walked me through his method too. Nice guy. I use Sonar X3 also, and good, bad, right or wrong, when a song is worked out in BiaB and ready for export, I open that BiaB .sgu file with Real Band. Then from RB I save it as a .seq file. In Real Band I add/generate more instances of instrument tracks as needed and then I drag them into Sonar.

I found exporting from BiaB takes a long time and the volume was lower than if I exported from RB. I don't know why. I have the 2014 programs.

This older video was helpful to me also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKkN78DfWRQ

This same author has two videos 'Cooking the Tracks with Real Band' that helped me too.

Veteran
Veteran
ACMESOUNDS.....

One more question: What sound card and what driver are you using?

www.herbhartley.com

V
V
In Band in a box, if you have only midi tracks then save it by choosing "Make a standard midi file" and save. I've used the BIB midi files directly in Sonar for every version of Cakewalk from 4 to Sonar X3 with no problems. However, if you have audio in the BIB project,that's a different ballgame. Sonar can't open BIB project files but RealBand can. Only way I know to get that into Sonar is either to save the whole thing as a wave file, or move it track by track.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I can help here because this is what I am doing. First off there are some choices. 1. Do you want everything midi? 2. Do you want realtracks. The methods are different.

If I want to orchestrate along a particular style, I will go into preferences realdrums and turn the all drums play as real tracks off so I only get midi. That way I can use my own drum machines instead of the Roland.

There is a button at the bottom that says Make a midi file on the files menu If you click on that it will save your file for you. ---Back up--- I create a folder for the midiversions in the same folder as the styles are with the name of that style. So Styles 4 Larry 2 for a Larry Carlton style that I can pin Revalver onto in Cakewalk X3

If you want to use part midi part real tracks than use REalband and you can generate individual tracks and make sure you save the real tracks independently First because when you go to save midi it will save the midi files but it will erase your real tracks. So save Realtracks first.

Hope this helps.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Another step that I am having issues with. Are the Biab instruments pre assigned to the Roland program channels If I try to replace the instruments by selection of an alternate. They keep resetting on odd instruments. I'm thinking that the original Biab file is programed to work with the Sound canvas GM1 format. Could that be why I am unable to make instrument changes. Is there a switch to turn off the GM compatibility so I can use my own instruments(vst)

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, BIAB would include the patch information that matches the .PAT file you chose in BIAB to select a patch map for your MIDI device. Then, in SONAR, you will have a MASTER.INS file that works the same way, containing the mappings to the sounds used by MIDI in SONAR. Are you using the same MIDI hardware device for both programs, and do you have a patch map for it loaded in both programs? Unless everything matches, you will hear the wrong sounds. Regardless, you can just go into SONAR and choose a channel and patch for any MIDI track.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
curiosity hit me. Are you saying that I could find the m1 list and use that to export one of the demofiles based upon the korg midi format. Sorry I will restate this after I try what I think you are saying.

Veteran
Veteran
Yes, that is what Matt is saying. Please refer to my response to you in your other thread you posted yesterday. In that response, I posted a link to the M1 patch list that you can use in BIAB, RB and X3.

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
I am trying to follow you. Except that Biab will not change its size. When I click the top size gadget it doesn't make the bb window smaller. On the bottom I can flip between Sonar and BB but is there a settings on Cakewalk that I have to set to receive the clipboard. Where is that?

Also I fail to understand the drag and drop idea do I create at least as many tracks as I want to drag in at the onset of opening Sonar or Do I add 6 midi tracks Sonar automatically creates the Cakewalk TTS on my midi tracks Even when I click on normal I get the TTS opening up.

M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Yay I figured it out. Thank you so much I was able to get it working with wav files but I am now trying to get the master to work with midi. That DAW has to be used and then Biab must be closed for each additional song the same thing with Sonar but I think I have the hang of it now. Thanks I have spent a week trying to figure this out.

Last edited by methodman; 03/14/15 07:04 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,614
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 194