User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hello David,

First, thanks for your generally positive comments! cool
As for the lyrics:
The general idea I had when writing this was, creating a collage of some famous Cat Stevens lyrics. However this wasn't as easy as it seemed, not in the least due to copyrights issues. I finally decided to write a completely new lyric for this song.
However, I wanted to maintain the atmosphere of the 70s.
Free love was one of the 'hot' items those days. However appealing that might have felt for some people, there definitely was a downside to all of this. The person I'm describing in the lyric, is one of those people for whom "free love' didn't turn out so well. For her spouse it apparently worked (he's still into it) and the 'I' person is trying to invite her to take her freedom as well. Maybe a bit disappointing, but what can we say....life's sometimes trite and boring!

We definitely do appreciate you taking the time to take a closer look at our lyrics and we'll surely take your comments into consideration when writing new lyrics!
Maybe we'll surprise you a next time! whistle

Thanks again,
Rob (and Anne-Marie)

Last edited by R & AM; 10/20/14 09:12 AM.

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

RnAM #266176 10/20/14 10:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Maybe a bit disappointing, but what can we say....life's sometimes trite and boring!

Heh. Thanks for taking this "the right way", and I'll see if I can brush up on my social skills. As I said, it really isn't right for me to say what your song should or shouldn't have said. blush

I guess the real problem was that I had misunderstood the lyric, because reading your comment I see more clearly what you were aiming for. There's not much you can do about people coming to your songs with their own preconceived notions! wink

Thanks!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
RnAM #266181 10/20/14 12:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
R & AM, I also am a fan of the early Cat stuff. This is my favorite of yours to date. Great writing, singing and production. Pro sound. Very well done. Bravo! Tom

RnAM #266212 10/20/14 07:40 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Definitely see the "Cat" connection!! I too was a big fan. Really infectious chorus-still ringing in my head, and I'm diggin' it!! I would love to hear the BGs done by a gospel choir (with a little solo spot and break in the lead vocal) although I know that is logistically difficult (as great as BIAB is!). GREAT WORK!! Take care. Greg

RnAM #266226 10/20/14 11:35 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We do have a lot of ideas about writing songs and singing, but it is definitely because of BIAB that they really come to live.
Absolutely BIAB is a programme I could not live without now.

Quote:
By the way did you already test the z3ta for mastering?
YES and it is still in its testing stages but THANKS for the advice to use it.

Just listened to your song again and I too see the Cat Stephens connection. Sometime in that period I went out with a young lady who had a cat called Stephen, which we all thought was brilliant LOL

Alyn.

ROG #266246 10/21/14 02:32 PM
User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie,

Well, I was back in the seventies from the opening few bars.

I think you've achieved everything you set out to do with this excellent song.

I thought the whole package was extremely professional, from the writing to the performance and the recording and mix. Wonderful stuff.

ROG.

Hi ROG,

We're very flattered by your positive comments on this song. Much appreciated!

Regards,
Rob & Anne-Marie

Last edited by R & AM; 10/21/14 02:33 PM.

User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Rob and Anne-Marie
This is lovely. Definately reminds me of Cat Stevens. Production is quite wonderful. Good job!

Thank you Joanne, much appreciated!

Regards,
Rob & Anne-Marie

User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well, as a person who made the obligatory trip
to San Francisco in 1968 (when I was 22) I
must say that the lyric immediately
intrigued me - causing reflections on the
opportunities lost during that time....if only
everyone would've played the same game.

One of many great lines "where the flowers used to grow"
really sums it all up for me.

Thanks for the, shall I say, trip back!

We enjoyed the listen.

Bud

Thanks J & B!
Well I must've been three years old at the time laugh
I bet that living in the States was a lot more interesting than living in Europe in those days...
My older sister definitely made me a big fan of all those 70s acts.

Regards,
Rob

User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Thanks Floyd!

Well, if only I could play like Brent Mason laugh
yes, I added some delay to the soloist.
I find that whenever I'm looking for a soloist for one of our songs, Brent Mason never disappoints!

Regards,
Rob

RnAM #266251 10/21/14 03:24 PM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
"My older sister definitely made me a big fan of all those 70s acts."

You're not the first... big sisters and brothers impacted us all. Reminded me that someone thought it was a good idea for a song... Check out this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGJt6BGp3I

This is a big regional standard here along Myrtle Beach, SC I thought you may enjoy. A mixture of RnB, soul, blues and motown they call Carolina Beach Music.

Charlie

Last edited by c_fogle; 10/21/14 03:25 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hey Charlie,

I never heard of this song, but it sounds very nice.
Indeed a combination of all kinds of styles.

regards,
Rob

dcuny #266482 10/24/14 09:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
This line sinks the ship. It undercuts any idea that the song might be serious by immediately jumping to (what seems to me) the most cliched sentiment possible, with a rhyme that doesn't really make any sense.

Right, someone clearly got up on the wrong side of bed the day this post was made!?
I only quoted one paragraph for the purpose of this reply (no need to see the rest of that again), and not even the worst bit.

Dissecting the frog when asked to (like in our case earlier) is one thing, this was something else.

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
Dissecting the frog when asked to (like in our case earlier) is one thing, this was something else.

I'm sorry you took offense to what was written - that wasn't the intent, and I tried to make that clear.

As far as being asked, Rob had written (emphasis added):

Hope you like it! Any comments are welcome.

In response to my comments, he was gracious enough to respond:

We definitely do appreciate you taking the time to take a closer look at our lyrics and we'll surely take your comments into consideration when writing new lyrics!

If that's not enough, I've even written an apology in the form of a song. blush

-- David Cuny

dcuny #266506 10/24/14 03:35 PM
User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hi David,

laugh laugh laugh laugh

Laughed my head off!!!

By the way, this lady has read a lot of Shakepeare's work (not because she wanted to, but because she had to) but prefers Keats (and Shelley).

And..... no need to worry about your comments, in Dutch we say:
"Je bent nooit te oud om te leren" or: you're never too old to learn.
Actually I really hope to learn a lot more about how to make a good song, so... go on being critical!

Anne-Marie

Last edited by R & AM; 10/24/14 03:37 PM.

RnAM #266509 10/24/14 04:14 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Laughed my head off!!!

Hi, Anne-Marie.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it! laugh

As the song went through many, many edits, I kept thinking what would floyd jane do?

He's the guy to watch!

Thanks!

-- David Cuny

dcuny #266537 10/24/14 08:53 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm sorry you took offense to what was written - that wasn't the intent, and I tried to make that clear

It wasn't so much that I personally 'took offence' as such. That would've been quite condescending since this isn't about anything of mine - and it's quite possibly none of my place to butt in to begin with.
It was just so startling to see you use such 'grumpy' vocabulary, you're usually so eloquent, diplomatic and good at keeping things subjective. That's where my 'wrong side of bed' came from, really.

If that's not enough, I've even written an apology in the form of a song. blush

Which I only got to after finishing with this thread... catching up in reverse order perhaps backfiring on me a bit there? wink
As for the manner of said apology (which by the looks of things now wasn't even needed), I'll have to say that's a pretty neat way to go about it! cool

Thank goodness words aren't knives.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
BBox 2022 Audiophile, Mac Pro Intel, OSX 10.6.8, 800x600 (TV VGA)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Icelander
It was just so startling to see you use such 'grumpy' vocabulary, you're usually so eloquent, diplomatic and good at keeping things subjective. That's where my 'wrong side of bed' came from, really.

And that stemmed from a failure to communicate well on my part.

Thanks for your concern! smile

-- David Cuny

RnAM #266827 10/29/14 12:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob and Anne-Marie ...

Although neither Di nor I have ever been big fans of Cat Stevens, we did enjoy this song a lot ... seriously! The two of you could sing the nutrition label on a frozen food box and make it sound like a hit!

Your talent is amazing ... as performers, composers and musical engineers. We're always impressed and envious of your many skills!

When we review a song written to emulate the style of a bygone era, we try to listen to it according to the musical conventions common to that era, rather than the rules and conventions considered appropriate for contemporary music. This one fits like a glove for the late 60's, early 70's era. It would be very easy to believe this was written in 1966 or 1968.

Di and I sometimes write songs that might have been popular in the 60s and earlier. When we do, we try to employ the styles and mechanisms that were used at that time, rather than making a song sounding "neo". You two do such a wonderful job of accomplishing that. Great stuff here! You made us enjoy a style we typically would not listen to by choice. Thanks for opening our eyes and ears to this!

Wishing you well ...

Alan and Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

RnAM #266846 10/29/14 08:37 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rob and Anne-Marie,

It has been awhile since I've commented on one of your productions. I must say I am astounded at the consistent high quality of material you release.

Rob, the timbre of your voice fits this song like a glove. Your phrasing makes this an enjoyable listen. Anne-Marie, as always, your background vocal is spot-on! The video follows the song frame-by-frame.

The radio ready quality of the audio production didn't surprise me as that level of production is pretty much a given.

You seem to be exploring various genres. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
RnAM Online Content OP
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Hello Alan and Di,

thank you very much! Again...
Ah, so you've never been real Cat Stevens fans..
Kind of makes sense, in most of your songs I detect a certain soul feel (Cat Stevens is more a folky feel, ha ha)
anyways:

"The two of you could sing the nutrition label on a frozen food box"
well, we may surprise you one time with one of our new songs in the future :-)

regards,
Rob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,580
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200