if she fires it often enough
   someone's gonna fall
   that's all there is to it
   holly's got a heart
   and she's not afraid to use it

...and the Band...
RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^1-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare,
RealTracks in style: ~~520:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 845:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockPopping Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 378:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming DoubleTime Ev 088
RealTracks in song: 581:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm Blues Roadhouse Ev 120 ('A' only)
RealTracks in song: 848:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountryRockRiff Ev 120 (A:sync)
RealTracks in song: 620:Pedal Steel, Background Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 412:Guitar, Electric, Soloist Cowboy Ev 165
RealTracks in song: 1518:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryWorkinBrent Ev16 090

Have at it.

floyd

#266474 - 10/24/14 11:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Floyd,

That got me rockin'.
I expected you to do a solo laugh
Quote:
gut-wrenchin', toe-clinchin' hit-you-from-behind kind
I like that line, when those were the days for me!! altho' some girls probably would say that they felt the gut wrenching, toe clenching feeling when they saw me shimmy on over lol.

As I have said before this is the country I like.

Thoroughly enjoyed.

Alyn

#266483 - 10/24/14 12:40 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Yep, that's a rocker all right. I like the way it opens it a matter of fact tone, and gets right to the chorus.

I cheated and read the lyrics first - I liked the asymmetrical stuff you threw in there, and how natural it sounded when sung - the hits on "use it" were a nice touch. I thought the bridge was especially effective.

Nice song, nicely done... As usual! smile

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#266496 - 10/24/14 04:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Alyn - thanks for the spin. It was best to leave this one to Brent...

David - appreciate it... if it doesn't sound natural, "you've done something wrong" - should always be the foremost thought in a songwriter's mind... that and... "if it's cliché, throw it away".

#266500 - 10/24/14 05:56 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Very nice. Jumpin' stuff man.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#266507 - 10/24/14 06:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hi Floyd.

Classic country, right up there at your usual professional high standard throughout, which doesn't leave me a lot more to say.

Well, maybe just one thing, but I had to look really hard this time!

This isn't as pronounced on the mains, but in the 'phones you can hear the instruments stop at different times when sustaining the last chord. It's marginal, but I think back to the days when we did sessions and I don't think we'd have got away with that.

Hey, you're making it really difficult for me to find anything at all these days, but I know you'd be disappointed if we didn't have our usual discussion about something?

Regards, ROG.

#266516 - 10/24/14 08:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Floyd,

A very nice country rock song!
Sounds very steady and crispy clear through my speakers.
Quality as usual, I especially like the bridge and the pedal steel guitar in it.
Some real tracks in there I haven't tried yet.

regards,
Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#266528 - 10/24/14 10:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Floyd. Another good write and production. Good choice of instruments and it kept me interested from start to finish.

Charlie

#266565 - 10/25/14 08:59 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Hey, you have a nice classic 80's style country rocker there my friend.

The mix is nice and clean. Vocals are good.

I especially liked the way you treated the modulation.

Nits: end of the second verse coming into the chorus.... something's not synced properly and the ending....as has been pointed out, is a bit careless.

Other than those small nits, listening on this small speaker computer system, the mix sounded good.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#266583 - 10/25/14 10:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
What a cool country rocker! We were
streaming it in the breakfast room this
morning and Janice's visiting 93 year
old mother was loving it! Tapping out
the drum beat in perfect time and
saying how much she likes that voice.

Note: She raised a family of musical
folks and genuinely likes a zillion
genres. She still has a great left hand
rhythm on the piano.

Heck, floyd you are trans-generational
indeed. Our nieces and nephews
and mothers love it. And this one is
another example why. Great lyric and
arrangement along with your typical
incredible grasp of what can be done
with BIAB. Big studio sound on my
studio system and on the "big"
living room system.

A great Saturday morning spin!

J&B
J&B Website

#266585 - 10/25/14 10:19 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Floyd,

another good story and production. I like the choice of instruments and the mix. Very rocking.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Guenter

#266594 - 10/25/14 01:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Hi Floyd
Havent had much time for listening lately but had to give this one a listen because my daughter's name is Holly. Read the lyrics to her and it got a smile on her face even before we listened to the song. We loved it!

Edited by JosieC (10/25/14 01:00 PM)

#266627 - 10/25/14 06:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

BOB! So very nice to have you around for a listen.... and, btw, where is the next BOB-song????

ROG - thanks, as always... the little "disconnect" at the end was intentional. I could have easily deleted it. But I liked how it sounded like one guy just didn't quite get that last chord right. It happens all the time in the studio. And sometimes they become iconic. (did you know the piano at the beginning of Seger's Old Time Rock'n'Roll was a mistake?). I left it in for a little fun and "realism"....

#266628 - 10/25/14 06:59 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
ROG Offline
Veteran

Hmmm... And I really thought I'd caught you out this time, Floyd.

I should, of course, have known better.

Maybe next time...

ROG.

#266679 - 10/26/14 09:47 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

First I really like the beat and your arrangement choices to support that country groove you've got going. Interesting lyric approach that works. Well sung.

Josie

#266681 - 10/26/14 10:00 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Alabama, USA
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alabama, USA
Howdy Floyd ...

Great country rocker from early to mid eighties. Loved everything about about. Did notice one small thing:

Coming out of the chorus, I think that lead guitar on the left channel could use a little more volume. just until the the next verse begins, then drop it back where it was. I guess that's really more of a personal preference than a nit, but it stood out a touch to me (Alan).

We love key modulations ... they give the song a whole new spirit and makes it fly as high as the previous verses/choruses. Kinda like infusing new energy and "oomph".

Nice stuff, as always! Best to you ...

Alan & Di

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#266700 - 10/27/14 08:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

floyd, Good solid write. Love the modulation after the bridge. Good use of the steel in the bridge. The vocals are spot on. At first I thought the lead guitar was a little busy in the choruses, but I realize at that speed and with so many notes being played it would have not been possible to cut fills in and out. On further listening it really does work as is. I also love the opening. One of your best comments to date is [ " if it doesn't sound natural, "you've done something wrong" - should always be the foremost thought in a songwriter's mind... that and... "if it's cliché, throw it away". ] This is valuable information to all of us aspiring songwriters. It is something I've always thought but probably never verbalized. Thanks as always for sharing your thoughts on what you do so well. Once again, Well Done! Tom

#266737 - 10/27/14 04:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
that gut-wrenchin', toe-clinchin' hit-you-from-behind kind
with no denying it's real

That's crafty writing! The whole production is top notch. Very clever and different metaphor which is superbly executed. If I was going to change anything, I would consider going G to A (I believe the song is in G?) to D with the melody climbing in the line "with both sides pumpin'..." I think it would offer a nice musical change. Just a thought. Really excellent write!! Take care. Greg

#266787 - 10/28/14 10:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Rob - thanks - appreciate that...

Thanks, Charlie - glad you enjoyed it...

Herb - thanks for the listen. I listened to that section a number of times and am not hearing whatever it is you think is there. "something's not synced" is pretty nebulous. I can guarantee you that I am never careless about any aspect of a production. The ending was intentional. I had just seen the Muscle Shoals movie and one of the things that really stuck with me was Rick Hall's comment at the very end of the movie regarding how sterile music is today because all the little things that make it "human" are removed. So I decided to leave it. I like "human".

#266840 - 10/29/14 10:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Holly's Got A Heart [Re: floyd jane]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

J&B - Mama is one of my favorite people! smile Thanks for all the nice words...

Guenter - always appreciate your comments. Thanks

Joanne - I know you've been busy. Haven't listened to your CD, but will... I popped into your SJ kick off for a couple of minutes (all I had time for) and just happened to hit it at the middle of I Will Always Be Here...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

Forum Stats
28427 Members
58 Forums
55198 Topics
459609 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Justin P, thierry.inconnu, drolander, richardskelt, bennyrodrigues

28427 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 336
Pipeline 306