Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dean Clark suggested we do one from the American Songbook and I chose this one. Originally done with BIAB. Arranged and played by the Coolmiester of Jazz himself. It was a new experience for me singing Jazz which I quite enjoyed. I mixed it in Reaper.
Hope you all enjoy it too.

September In The Rain

Josie

Arranger/Producer Dean Clark
ASCAP Account No: 400004362
Legal Entity: dean clark
Class: SOLO

If any Forum member doubts the legality of this license-to-stream, or believes this post is a violation, please contact the moderators for its prompt removal without my objection.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie/Dean,

This is a delight. Josie, you have a terrific sound for this type song... so "sweet"...

The instrumentation is prefect for the song. The mix could use a bit of tweaking. The ride cymbal is overbearing at "to every...I heard you whisper" (I couldn't hear the words there because of it). Then the following section, the brushes are too loud, as well...

Dean's guitar is very cool - but again, the drums are getting in the way of it...

I think all it needs is to have the drums pulled back to be a "subtle" part of the mix instead of such a dominant part... because everything else is really nice...(the vibes are cool, too...)

I like it.

floyd

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
We all know Dean's mastery of jazz guitar but you really nailed the vocals Josie. Great performance. I agree with Floyd on the cymbals but overall, this is really nice and a wonderful showcase of your versatility.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie / Dean,

Very nice. Great sound and feel. I really enjoyed this one.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, Great vocal! Dean's arrangement and guitar parts are tops as always. I like the the mix. Maybe little drop on the high EQ just on the drum track can fix that ride cymbal. Again really nice job on the vocal. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well, thank you Charlie. What a team, eh? I still can't believe this is Josie's first crack at an American Songbook classic, but her natural talent can carry her in many directions.

Actually, this is a medley of songs. Listen to the guitar solo again. Does it sound familiar?

Maybe I'll start a Name That Tune contest.

First prize: One all expenses paid trip to Weehauken, New Jersey.

Second prize: Two all expenses paid trips to Weehauken, New Jersey.

OK Forum members: Whether or not you wish to accept a prize, name the other tune embedded in September in the Rain (it's the guitar solo, and it's even more famous than the main tune).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Josie,

I agree with Floyd that the ride cymbal is kind of loud in the mix, apart from that: beautiful! You've got just the voice for this!

Regards,
Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Guitar solo is Singing in the Rain, same as the image on SoundCloud.

Where are my tickets? smile

(Additional comments once I get to hear the track on decent speakers instead of crappy headphones.)

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Floyd. Appreciate you listening, the suggestions and sweet comment.

The track has been reposted with changes.

It was a lot of fun working with Dean.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Charlie. I love singing different things and working with Dean's wonderful arranging and playing was really fun.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hey there Bob!

Thank you - glad to see you.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Tommy.

I really appreciate that.

I did what you suggested on the track and some slight other adjustment and I think it worked out really well. If you get a chance would you give it another listen and let me know please?

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you very much Rob.

Appreciate that very much and like I've been saying, I did go back and fix it. I just love Dean's arrangement - he's such a super player and so creative.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
David,

Thank you for giving us a listen. The track has been replaced so you'll be hearing the new one.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
All right, finally got a chance to listen through decent speakers.

First, Josie, you sound great singing jazz! The guitar sounds good, too.

The only thing lacking is backing by a swinging horn section!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Josie, you may be the reincarnation of Billie Holiday!! Lady, sing the jazz! Very nice, natural, and laid back to the max. Dean is the jazz master. Great job guys! I do think Floyd's right about the cymbal being too loud. Loved it!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

I never knew you could sing in this genre. Just wow! I have to say that the song was incredibly easy to listen to – very nice indeed! You and Dean have put together a really great collaboration. (I tip my metaphorical hat to you both. You're a wonderful singer and he's a mighty fine guitar player and arranger.)

I hope you don't mind, but these lyrics are spectacular and I couldn't let them pass without some comment on them because there are so many valuable lessons for lyricists contained within them. I'm so glad you chose this song smile

Below is the song's format and some of its lyrics.

• It's classic 'Tin Pan Alley', written by Harry Warren and Al Dubin in the mid-1930s and uses the popular AABA format. The standard way of utilising this format is to play through the entire song once (omitting the tag if there's one), have an instrumental that's usually based on the chords of the A-section, and then repeat the B- and final A-section; a tag is sometimes added to give a sense of finality.

Quote:
[A1]
The leaves of brown ...
Remember, in September, in the rain

[A2]
The sun went out ...
That September in the rain

[B-section]
To every word of love I heard you whisper
The raindrops seemed to play our sweet refrain

[A3]
Though spring is here ...

Instrumental

Repeat [B-section] and [A3]

[Tag]
That September that brought the pain

If the tag is not considered, the bulk of the song is 58 words long. How amazing is that! To take 58 words and to turn them into a 3 minute, delightful journey of music is really something.

What I particularly wanted to highlight with these lyrics, though, are the very clever writing techniques used in the B-section. Such techniques show a great deal of thought and expertise.

First
Consider the phrase ”Every word of love I heard you whisper”. We have the inner-rhymes 'word' and 'heard' symmetrically placed on beat 3 of consecutive bars. We also have the 'w' alliteration of 'word' and 'whisper'.

Second
The real lyric powerhouse in the B-section is line 2, ”The raindrops seemed to play our sweet refrain”.

• I bet the writers, Warren and Dubin, undertook considerable thought and re-writing in an effort to get this line as perfect as it is.

The phrases 'raindrops seemed' and 'play our sweet' parallel one another in that beat-1 contains words with long 'a' sounds and beat-3 words have long 'e' sounds. Moreover, these are consecutive measures. In addition, there's a long 'a' sound on beat-1 of the next bar with the word 'refrain'.

• The net result of this lyrical movement is that when I say the line out loud, those two gently rolling phrases of parallel assonance give me the feeling of swaying; just like the leaves on the tree in the first A-section. Now THAT'S one aspect of prosody at it's most creative! It's also an incredibly sophisticated way of establishing a long-distant lyric relationship between remote sections of the song.

... but that's not what really grabbed me about the B-section.

What really made me sit up and pay attention was the fact that the B-section did not rhyme. This pushed it headlong into the final A-section. Most importantly, though, was that the last line of the B-section set-up the closure of the final A-section by giving 'rain' a rhyming partner with which to end the song. The feeling of payoff that comes from finally rhyming “September in the Rain”, the title, makes the musical and lyrical journey a very satisfying emotional experience.

What a song! What a singer! What an arranger and instrumentalist!

I loved it smile

All the best to you both,
Noel

Disclaimer: "Fair Use" allows copyrighted material, such as portions of these lyrics, to be quoted for the purpose of critique without infringement.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie & Dean ...

Smokinn'! We love it when a song can be both powerful and gentle. This is a perfect example of that.

Josie, your vocal is splendid! Sounds like true Pop Standard to our ears. Billie Holiday? Etta James? Nope ... pure Josie!

Dean, you're just so danged smooth. I've (Alan) been a huge fan since I first listened to you about a year or so ago. A master of the craft.

Standing "O" for both of you!

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I'm glad to hear that Josie, and you can second that on my behalf.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
...AND WHAT AN ANALYSIS, NOEL! An amazing performance in itself. Now that I know that you are a connoisseur of lyrics, let me throw out in the form of a fill-in-the-blank quiz my two favorite examples of superhuman feats of rhyming (answers at bottom of page):

From Put on a Happy Face

Take off the gloomy mask of tragedy,
It's not your style;
You'll look so good that you'll be

(1) ____________________________________________
fill in the blank. It must result in a rhyme

From Someone to Watch Over Me

Although he may not be the man some girls
(2) ____________________________________________
fill in the blank. It must result in a rhyme

scroll down for the answers.

1. glad ya decided to smile
2. think of as handsome

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195