Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie and Dean,

I can hear a totally new Josie. Very lovely.
Dean perfect as always.
A very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I'm very late to the party but I'm sure glad I came! Dean is a terrific jazz guitarist, that we knew. Josie, we didn't know this but you are a terrific jazz singer.

My kind of song, guitar playing and singing! How about an American Standard's CD?

Ps - the mix was great!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Alan and Di,

Ever so kind. Hey, I see you speaking German just to my right in the shout box. I do as well. I lived and worked in Switzerland for many years, although that little dialect they speak there (Schweizerdeutch - pronounced Shveetza-dewtch by the Swiss) is about as recognizable as German as Dutch is. Worse: No agreed upon spelling, no dictionary, no past tense, etc.

The way I learned perfect German pronunciation was by concentrating on one particular character in dubbed-in episodes of Star Trek: Mr. Spock! You know how Spock had that detached, impersonal and ultra-precise English? Well, he spoke German the same way.

Played a number of gigs in Zurich, where I lived, and planned not to come back to the States for a while. However, it doesn't quite work that way ...

Josie and I are glad to hear you folks liked that tune. With her natural talent and impressive tech savvy-ness, it seemed to get done in no time.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Mario,

Thanks for that complement and also for being the only heroic Forum member to produce a solo to the Mighty Burner. My invitation for others to join the party did its usual "blub blub blub ..." dive off the front page without a single taker. I want to thank you (for your gutsy playing) and apologize to you (for throwing up my hands and walking away from the idea). I was really hoping Tommy or Al or someone would bite.

Yeah, and what about that Josie, eh? Who knew?

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Guenter,

Isn't she great? But another surprise is how tech-savvy Josie is. I could have never done that re-mix as well. And I got all kinds of leads from Josie to different DAWs, plug-ins, mastering software, etc. So this collaboration paid off in more than the production of a good tune.

Thanks for your kind words.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
OK, OK Yes David, you win both first and second prizes ...

Rummaging right now through my drawer of free tickets ... let's see ... Liberia, no I don't think you want that one, oh ... here's Cameroon, Sierra Leone, oops, same problem.

Wait! Here's an envelope with two tickets to Lagos from a guy in Nigeria who claims to be the custodian of a huge sum of money; just fly there and pick it up ...

Willington, Willamantic, ..., let me get back to you. Weehauken. I know they're in this mess somewhere.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Dean,

My great-grandmother on my father's side was from Untervaz, Switzerland. It's a small village of perhaps five or six thousand 60 Ks south of Vaduz, Lichtenstein. When I lived in Germany (was there almost 12 years), I often went to Basel and Zurich. On my father's side, I'm predominantly Welsh and Swiss. On my mother's side, it's German and irish.

The German dialect in Switzerland always reminded me of Bayerische Deutsch gone awry. I lived in the state of Rhineland Phalz, Germany for seven years and their dialect was quite pronounced and and different. Several Germans have told me that it's the German equivalent of American Hillbilly/Redneck.

One genre of music I miss from Europe is Gypsy Jazz. It's almost non-existant here in the States. I've always been a huge Django Rheihardt fan.

I left Germany in 1988 and haven't been back since. I have forgotten many of the peripheral words, but I do go online and occasionally read the German newspapers from the towns I lived in.

Okay, I've hijacked this thread long enough. Best to ya ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
well.. I liked that A LOT!

Josie... this is a side of you I've never heard before, and you nailed it! I think everybody would agree we need more Josie-Jazz

Dean, I stand in awe of your guitar-playing. Very nice project, all 'round.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I guess this proves one thing.... you never know what will happen when you reach out to the other folks here to collab on a project.

Who'd a thunk it?

Very nice version.

I agree the mix could use some tweeking.... my main nit was the EQ on the voice is in need of some highs to bring out the sparkle. I'm thinking a bit on the whole mix would work too....although this style doesn't need "crispy" in the recipe.

Well done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Pat,

First, let me say that your DISCLAIMER is a lot more impressive than mine!

Second, Josie is really amazing - I believe that this is the first time she ever tried a tune from this genre.

No three chords and a cloud of dust on this one. And she lands every note dead center with a relaxed expressiveness. You never feel that she's working hard (actually, she is but covers it like a pro).

Third, let's think about my next victi ... wait! Hey Pat, how about you? Come on, dude! We'll do your all-time favorite tune.

Dean

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hey Guitarhacker,

Thanks on behalf of both of us for the kind remarks. However, you heard a version that has already been remixed.

You know, we all have our biases and blind spots. My blind spots are lyrics and mixing. That's because my vision is most acute in the direction of chord voicings, bass lines, orchestration, soloing, etc.

I'm virtually deaf when it comes to mixing, unless it's so bad that, say, the bass drum is putting cracks in my ceiling. Otherwise, I can barely detect the difference between one mix and another.

Other Forum members are highly mix-conscious and usually turn out to be the best mixers (no surprise there). So, when I say that I think that Josie really nailed that new mix, you have to take the opinion with the grains of salt it deserves. Nevertheless, Josie got it about as right as anyone in this
Forum could have done.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, Back for another listen. I think the new mix got it right. Dean, those comments about the tickets got a big laugh from me. Good work guys. Tom

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Tommy,

Thanks for the kind words about the new mix from the guy I've heard is the best mixer on the Forum.

If David is reading this, it's important he know that I found 5 (five) free tickets to Eastern Ukraine. There's a very nice Aeroflot Tupolev 19 taking off from Pawtucket, Maine every other Friday at 6:00 am. It's an oldie but goodie, and pay no attention to the duck tape. The tickets to Weehauken never showed up ... must have gone to a previous winner.

Dean

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I keep going back to hear this again! Its SOOooo classy!
Yeah, it's already been said many times, but... you really nailed the genre on this one!

My theory is that Dean is an alien who has the power to absorb talent left behind by dead jazz-masters... apparently, that power is part of the same package that lets him levitate guitars with a flaming finger.

but Josie, Josie, Josie... you have found a niche worthy of MUCH more of your time! I will be sorely disappointed if you don't repeat this phenomenon!

OK, that's all I wanted to say. Again.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Great tune very well done. I agree that I missed horns a little, but excellent still.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Josie & Dean !

This is simply just marvelous !
Must be one of the best performances
I´ve ever heard on this forum !:))
I just love it, Josies voice is
so beautiful it gives me goosebumps
all over enhanced by the magic playing
of Dean !:)) I am awed and don´t know
what to say !!!!:)) Congrats both of
you !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: aleck rand
If David is reading this, it's important he know that I found 5 (five) free tickets to Eastern Ukraine. There's a very nice Aeroflot Tupolev 19 taking off from Pawtucket, Maine every other Friday at 6:00 am. It's an oldie but goodie, and pay no attention to the duck tape. The tickets to Weehauken never showed up ... must have gone to a previous winner.

The Aeroflot Tupolev 19 sounds like a nice upgrade from last time I flew Aeroflot-Rossiyskiye avialinii and got stuck in the baggage hold of an Ilyushin Il-14. I should have read the fine print a bit more carefully. sick

The family is looking forward to some of that fresh Dnipropetrovsk air! With only 5 tickets, one of them (Duncan, in case you're wondering) drew the short straw to stay home and take care of the cats.

But that's OK, because I promised to pick up one of those Australian safari packages Zakharchenko has been handing out when we swing through Donetsk.

We're loading the old station wagon right now! laugh

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
LOL! David, you just cracked me up.

Tommy, I appreciate that second listen.

Dani, Thank you so much.

JohnG, you sax players are always wanting a horn in there....just kidding maybe Dean will arrange a horn on the next one.

Pat, thank you - wanting to hear it again is the best compliment we could hope for. And yes, we are planning on doing some more in the future.

If I've missed answering anyone specifically please forgive me - it's not intentional.

Thank each of you who have listened for your time and all the great comments.

It was a wonderful experience working with Dean. Without him suggesting it, I would never have thought of singing something from the American Songbook with a Jazz arrangement. I'm so glad he did and so happy that you enjoyed our version of this romantic classic. smile

Josie

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++1

to everything Josie just said.

Dean

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
BLAST IT, PAT !

You had to go and reveal what very few others have done: the truth about me. Well, it's happened enough times to become boring, so I am now providing all the documentation.

I was one of the survivors of the craft hovering above Johannesburg. I survived 9.

The following link publicizes what was purported to be a work of fiction. It is not. It is a documentary.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/district9/

The device (DNA-rep/con) that sprays that poor devil, can of course be used in the opposite direction, although with varying results. There are side-effects - like my blasted finger (which has been giving me trouble lately; do I go to a doctor?). That's a whole 'nother story, which I will never tell.

But Pat, listen to the very last words in the documentary. You just gave one away, but it's OK. I forgive you and I'll tell you something else: being human sure beats living in 9 and surviving on cat food.

Dean

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,402
Posts732,578
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200