Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#266921 10/30/14 09:54 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
So, I really haven't been writing much recently... busy with other projects and I just needed to write something different.

So I messed around with some things and this kinda came together. The song is about a car..... or, on second thought..... is it about a car? You decide.

THE CADDY SONG

The line up....

I think the style is Texas rock boogie or something like that....

Tracks... I wanted to keep this simple for a change. Guitar, drums, bass.... that's it.

Guitar (main) Me playing live... harmonic picking and slide included. This is my Tele into my Boogie, cranked up, and mic'd.

BB supplied some low level rhythm guitar tracks (2)

Drums are BB real track

Bass is me playing midi keys with a sampled ricko bass.

Vocals...me... 2 tracks... main and telephone fx....basically very high pass eq

FX tracks of some sweet motors running....

I don't often use FX in my tunes, but since this one was just for grins and not much of anything else... why not? Very little punch or "fixing" is involved..... just some raw, in your face playing.

Listen on some cans or nice speakers with a sub... and crank it up to 11 and rip the knob off.....

Updated version: https://app.box.com/s/50685827cd6sbcwrl4uj

Vox up a few db and flanging with echo on the main vox and FX vox....

enjoy.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/30/14 03:15 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A fun song, Herb.

Good guitar work. Overall good rock production. I liked your sound effects.

Missed a lot of the words with the vocal buried so far in the mix. About half the song, actually. But, then a lot of those mid-70's rock songs where like that. We all sat around listening trying to out-guess each other what the words were...

But it was fun.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I put it at the top of your productions. Nothing wrong with effects and
nothing wrong with just for grins. "Just for grins" beats the
heck outa a lot of mainstream stuff.

Good guitar and a good rocking production. No cans here as
I'd like to retain what's left of my ears but it cooked well on my
Polks and Yamaha sub.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.... so here's a newer version... vox up a few db.... flanger added to the vox..... I'm breaking lots of my own rules on this one.

NEW VERSION: https://app.box.com/s/50685827cd6sbcwrl4uj

I might post the lyrics when I get the chance.... Thanks Floyd...

J&B... thanks.... glad you like it....

I personally love the driving bass..... and of course the 6 sting fun.... I've always been a HUGE fan of TOP.....

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/30/14 03:14 PM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb.

Nice to hear some good old fashioned rock on the forum.

A good track with some cool guitar work and committed vocal style.

The song had a very live feel to it and it would have been nice if the bass could have been a live Ricky as well, but I know that these things aren't always available.

Played it LOUD on the big Tannoys and it held together well.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Just in case you're wondering what I'm saying in there....

The Caddy Song

She pulled into town on a Saturday night,
a white Cadillac rolling in the moonlight.
She made all the grown men go weak in the knees
The little boys stared in disbelief

Dual beam headlights shine in the night,
chrome spinner hubcaps, man what a sight
Two tone paint with flames, she sure is looking good,
kinda makes you wanna know what's under the hood

You wanna take her round the block, take her for a spin,
custom leather seats you wanna slide right in

You can outrun the devil with that coup-de-ville
Four speed hydromatic tranny built to thrill
nitro burning ponies running hard in the night
Flames from the tailpipes, man what a sight

ad lib:
awww... we ain't never seen anything like that around this town.
yeah don't hurt me darlin
mercy
take it around the block one time

You can jump right in throw it down in drive
turn the radio up and enjoy the ride
In the middle of the night feel the wind in your hair,
with your hands on the wheel, going anywhere.

take her round the block, take her for a spin,
custom leather seats you wanna slide right in

You can outrun the devil with that coup-de-ville
Four speed hydromatic tranny built to thrill
nitro burning ponies running hard in the night
Flames from the tailpipes, man what a sight

ad lib:
that's right
awwwwwww
I'm outta here
oh say bye bye
mercy mercy mercy
ha ha ha ha ha we're gone

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Rog..... glad it held together well on some good speakers up loud.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Herb,

A good old-fashioned rocker!
The guitar, which is very well played, makes me think of ZZ Top and Joe Walsh.

Regards,
Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Outstanding!! This really rocks. Guitar is killer and your vocal just as good. Really awesome gritty rock and roll sound!! Thoroughly enjoyed it-my fave of yours so far!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R&Am... Yes, I was actually going for a "How would ZZ Top play this?" kind of feel. I can picture the bearded pair rocking this.

Greg... thanks. Funny how things that I picture as "also ran, done for kicks" sometimes turn out to be the songs people like better.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Great vocals and guitar work. This is a well produced example of a rocker. The effects sound really cool. The only thing I would have changed would be the bass. I would have preferred the edgy sound as opposed to the big round sound. The biab metal bass plays pretty much the same things but the stops and holds would have been challenging. Not to take away from a great production. I'm going back for more. Rock On Brother! Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb,

this is a fun song.
Good guitar work and vocals for the genre.
A real good gritty rock production. The sound effects fitted perfectly.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I bet I know somebody who's been listening to Rio Grande Mud and Tres Hombres while he works on other jobs around the house :-)

You really nailed the sound, the attitude and the sound effects that are so much a part of ZZTop's shimmer!
If you were playing this live, the dance floor would be absolutely packed!

If you had a girl, I bet her name would be Francine...

(was the bass a real track? Or did you play that?)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb ...

Excellent straight ahead rock. Really liked the L-R pan of the guitar around 3:40. The telephone effect was a perfect fit. Sweet playing and a great production. We loved it! Best to ya ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
PS: We listened to the latest version. Still bobbing our heads and tapping our feet!

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Nice job Herb. You pretty much nailed every aspect here. Enjoyed your guitar work.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,
Definitely a ZZ vibe and it sounds really good cranked up!

Well done

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hot stuff Herb, love your Billy G. moves and those signature ZZ Top stops.
Loved every minute!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Tommy: Yeah, I should have eq'd the bass to get that wire sound that rickos are so famous for. I'd love to have a real ricko.

Boehm: thanks for the listen and the kind words

Pat: believe it or not, I have all the TOP albums except the first few. And yeah, I covered a bunch of TOP songs in the day including Francine. The bass is me playing but on a keyboard with a ricko sample. I didn't feel like taking the time to try various real tracks to see what would fit and I knew I wanted that driving 8th note bass line..... so.....

Al-David: I think that panned guitar is in 2 places. Probably much easier to hear on cans. Thanks for noticing that and commenting on it. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. The panning envelope looks like a saw tooth wave in those several measures.

Charlie: Thank you sir....

Gibson: Thank you too sir....

I'm glad people are enjoying this.... I almost didn't post it.... or finish it for that matter because it wasn't sounding like I wanted it to sound like. This project has been a back burner project for several months. I'd work on it, get disgusted, save it and do something else. I eventually ended up deleting the entire song in it's first & second versions....since it originally changed keys in the chorus which worked ok, but coming back to the original key didn't sound natural....so, no two ways around it, regardless of the time already invested... delete it and start over.

I recorded the new version and laid a number of tracks. It sounded better but still not totally on target. Using the "less is more" mantra... I deleted a bunch of tracks and reworked it laying down a new lead track and using only 2 BB guitar tracks very low in the mix. That seemed to let it break through like it needed.... a few lyric changes, a major rewrite of the chorus melody and chords and waaaa laaaa.....

www.herbhartley.com

Al-David #267218 11/02/14 10:50 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I agree that this is very ZZ Top sounding. I grew up in Texas when ZZ Top was still playing small venues. This reminds me very much of something they would have played back then, before the stardom and pop-hooks. This is a true rocker and I loved every bit of it!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195