Page 1 of 2 1 2
#267628 11/07/14 02:40 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Last stand? or last straw?...

The Band:
Style is _FSPWLZ4.STY (Uptempo PopWaltz PnoMando[180RS])
RealTracks in style: ~~1178:Bass, Electric, PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~1188:Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~1182:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in style: ~~1186:Mandolin, Rhythm PopWaltz Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1105:Banjo, Rhythm BluegrassWaltz Ev 140
RealDrums in Song: PopRockWaltzBrushesEv: a: Brushes b: PopRockWaltzBrushesEv

I played an acoustic guitar track and the leads.

SHE'S TRIED EVERYTHING

if she had a good reason she could make her last stand
a last ditch attempt to keep that ring on her hand
but his love's grown cold....she can't understand
she's tried everything

she promised to honor, trust, and obey
but they gave her no rules for when love slips away
alone at the crossroads.... not sure of her way
she's tried everything

she's tried to be more than a friend
   a lover, a mother, the rock where he stands
   holding on, holding out, hoping he'll love her again
   she's tried to bring back the romance
   and time after time given him one last chance
   how could they let what they had slip right thru their hands
   but she's tried everything

she leaves her key in the kitchen, and a note on the mirror
as she closes the front gate, her conscience is clear
she hesitates for a moment, but all doubt's disappeared
cause she knows she's tried everything
she's tried everything... oh... everything

if she had a good reason she could make her last stand
but she drives away.... no ring on her hand

Thanks for listening.
Comments encouraged.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd

Great song, as usual. I particularly enjoyed this couplet:

she promised to honor, trust, and obey
but they gave her no rules for when love slips away

Your vocals always impress us, as well as your arrangements. No exception here.

What was that high-frequency XF? not something I would have expected in this song, but it works perfectly. Thanks for a real sweet listen! Our ears are always smiling after listening to one of your songs.

Best to you,

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Al-David

What was that high-frequency XF? not something I would have expected in this song, but it works perfectly.

Thanks, Alan! What you are hearing is guitar (my Strat) with 2 different types of delay really pounding it....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey floyd!

Another mighty fine work to add to the fj songbook. I'm going to pop back a little later to talk about the lyrics. At the moment, though, I wanted to feel the thrill of posting early in a thread smile It's such a rare event for me!

I love the way you've used waltz RTs and have turned out something that has the rhythmical lilt I associate with 6/8 rather than a waltz.

Really enjoyable music!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

We tried to post this earlier (we would have been the first to react) but couldn't log in.

We like this one very much, both the lyrics and musical arrangement.
That style you are using is quite similar to the one I used in Amanda.
The lead guitar also sounds very nice, particularly those high-pitched notes, they do create a very nice atmosphere in the song.
The lyrics then: quite a complete story we think. The reasons why she's leaving become quite clear throughout the song.

Very well done!
Rob & Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Beautiful job Floyd!! I tried to comment earlier but the site was down. Great combination of music and lyrics that perfectly delivers the melancholy emotion. One of my favorites of yours (although it is a pretty big list)!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

First thing I thought when I put this track on was "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers. So much so, that when the track finished I put Golden Brown on, but strangely it didn't sound at all like your song. Weird.

But hey, what another masterpiece you've crafted.

I always find it difficult to get a groove going in waltz time, but you seem to have managed it without any trouble. Listened to it twice now and still can't find even the smallest thing to criticize this time.

Going back for another try.

ROG.

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nice Song/Vocals, easy feel and well put together

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !:))

One of your best, without doubt !:))
It is so good that I can leave
for Stockholm in a very fine mood !:))

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another fj goodie. Keep 'em comin'!

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I thought I already commented on this song, but I don't see it.. so here goes again:

1) for some reason I PARTICULARLY like your lyrics to this song! I mean, I ALWAYS like your lyrics, but the rhyme and meter of these words works very well for me. And the story is very simply stated and masterfully delivered. Also, the alliteration was very effective as used. By that I mean that it ADDED to the mood of the song, it didn't come across as just as a song-writing device you read about and wanted to use in a project.

2) your use of the strat with very wet effects created a haunting and powerful motif in the background. I can see that being the identifying signature sound in the song when radio stations ask their listeners to identify your song from a sound byte.

3) Also by using something of your own as a key element in the composition, you instantly plow a whole new field . It is clearly NOT a combination of the same RTs the rest of us are using. It's new, different and therefore especially exciting.

4) in fact, I think the most original-sounding songs use BIAB for the rhythm parts (which always tend to be generic, even on pro songs... there are only so many ways you can strum a chord) then use your own signature passages for solos and decorations. Surprising how a few played tracks can make the whole song your own.

5) as far as the "sounds like" factor is concerned: the song that kept popping into my mind was Seger's MAIN STREET

6) The whole song developed a situation of futility which introduced tension, and subsequently the urge to "do something, anything, just fix this mess of a life"; but for me, the song progressed faster than my emotions could keep up. The strategic pause at the end provided just enough time for the emotional payload to finish "downloading"... then you provided the resolution. If that was your plan, it worked nicely. (Even if it WASN'T your plan, it worked nicely.)

7) I sincerely hope that the devil never approaches me with a deal in which he gets my soul in exchange for a few months of being able to do what you do.. because I'd probably go for it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, by now it is clear to all of us that you take great care in crafting your lyrics. This is another fine example of the high level of craftsmanship in your songwriting. Good choice of real tracks to set the wistful mood. Well sung and OH YEAH- live guitar. That helps to bring things to the next level. I am a big believer in signature licks. I believe it helps to identify a song quickly in the intro and can make an imprint in the listener's mind that makes it familiar and more friendly. Great production and mix as usual. The quality and quantity of your work never fails to astound me. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi Floyd great lyrics this is awesome tune love the guitar work very engaging the mix is clear nice work thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Floyd, great piece! I guess this is the song you mentioned in your comment on my recent post that you were working on incorporating the mandolin and style I used on my song. Even if not, it is a good example for me to study and absorb how you 'see' and incorporate it.

At the risk of going solo out on a limb here, in my opinion, I think this is your most original song you've posted since I have been on the forum. ROG says, "First thing I thought when I put this track on was "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers. So much so, that when the track finished I put Golden Brown on, but strangely it didn't sound at all like your song." One may feel elements of other artists influences in your work but in the end, it is uniquely you.

I really enjoyed the song and production. My thoughts on this particular song is the sum of all the previous posts made before I was able to get back on line. (thought PGMusic put me in time-out for being off key on my last submission)

This is one of my favorites.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

great lyrics as always.
Good choice of real tracks as always.
Great vocals as always.
A live guitar which is capturing your attention: that's new.
Great mix as always.
Several enjoyable listens as always.
I've been a fan since September 2012 when I first heard one of your songs.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd,

Loved the Bob Seger Main Street sound on the guitar and the intimate vocal was right in the pocket. Good write. AABA is such a great form when done well as it is here.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
After listening several more times, I have two more observations to make:

1) at the 1:37 marker, you introduce another guitar briefly. It's the only place in the song you use it, and IMO, it isn't necessary. What you're already doing at that part is working very well, and after a few listens the changeup instrument started to become distracting, diverting my attention away from the interesting state of melancholy you had been luring my mind into.

2) at the end of the song, It might be interesting to hear a version in which you simply end the instrumental accompaniment when the final words are spoken (as opposed to coming back in to complete the logical progression.)

I think that would have the effect of leaving the song unresolved, which ending would be consistent with the disconcerting mood of the rest of the song.

(hey, you said comments are welcome... you never said they had to be any good)
;-)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hey floyd!

Another mighty fine work to add to the fj songbook. I'm going to pop back a little later to talk about the lyrics. At the moment, though, I wanted to feel the thrill of posting early in a thread smile It's such a rare event for me!

I love the way you've used waltz RTs and have turned out something that has the rhythmical lilt I associate with 6/8 rather than a waltz.

Really enjoyable music!

All the best,
Noel

Noel - I have to admit... most music terminology escapes me... I have no idea what 6/8 might sounds like... smile

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd,

We tried to post this earlier (we would have been the first to react) but couldn't log in.

We like this one very much, both the lyrics and musical arrangement.
That style you are using is quite similar to the one I used in Amanda.
The lead guitar also sounds very nice, particularly those high-pitched notes, they do create a very nice atmosphere in the song.
The lyrics then: quite a complete story we think. The reasons why she's leaving become quite clear throughout the song.

Very well done!
Rob & Anne-Marie

Rob & Anne-Marie - thanks! I do appreciate that. I've started using Styles a bit more lately - I just poked around until I found something that seemed to fit this song as I play it on guitar and this was the result...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Beautiful job Floyd!! I tried to comment earlier but the site was down. Great combination of music and lyrics that perfectly delivers the melancholy emotion. One of my favorites of yours (although it is a pretty big list)!! Take care. Greg

Greg - Thank you! (time for your next one, too....)

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Floyd,

I really like this song....it has a good flow to it and good lyrics....

Sometimes less is better....I heard a very high lead or backing track with tons of reverb that in my humble opinion didn't seem to fit the rest of the song....

This song has a country feel to it and I think you should strip it down a bit and give it a more natural or earthy sound...

Just trying to help...

Horst

Horst Hartung

Windows 10 - RealBand 2020:Build(3); Xtra Styles PAKs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8; 64 bit Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz; 4 TB HD; 550 GB SSD PCIe Drive, 16GB Memory. Behringer UFX1604 Digital Mixer.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Lots of good comments and observations already so I'll pretty much leave it at that.

I found myself wondering what, exactly, "He" was doing or not doing. I thought you could have put several lines in there describing somewhat of his behavior that lead her to that place and time. Just a thought for the future because I know you're not going to go back and rewrite a verse just for this.

Yes, I especially like the way you craft the meter of the melody in the lines.

The guitar at the beginning is off to a good start.... (talking about your live one) Not what I'd call a signature lick, but certainly a really appropriate intro fill. I tend to use fills a lot. Someone mentioned Bob Segar's Main Street.... Yes, now that's a superb example of a signature lick, it starts the song and shows up throughout the song. Toward the end it starts to variate a bit but keeps the overall feel and tone regardless. Wonderful Tonight is another great classic signature lick that plays throughout the song by Clapton.
On the lead in your song, as the song rolled on, however, I found the lead to be a bit distracting as it played behind the other tracks in a few places. It wasn't in too many places so it's not a big deal. It was more like a meandering series of notes relying on the FX for it's dramatic effect. The easy solution is to mute it in the balance of the song. However, I do think that a proper, nicely crafted signature lick for this song would really set it off nicely. Signature licks tend to be pretty simple melodic riffs that will fit well in numerous places in the song and gives it a musical cohesion apart from the lyrics or anything else.

As always, I'm picking out the really small details because everything else on this song is so well crafted.

Well done my friend.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195