Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Hello PG music makers. This is a straight rocker with a bit of a lyrical twist-sort of a Joel and Ethan Coen version of a straight rocker. The real tracks used are the following:

Bass 388
Guitar 629 Elec pop
Nashville even ^6 H hat O
Guitar 632 Elec rhyth
Guitar 405 Ac
Organ 688 B-3
Guitar 1030 soloist

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/realgoodtimemaster2

REAL GOOD TIME

Got in her daddy’s car, she took a drive
Behind the wheel at fifteen, she felt alive
Stereo blastin’ her favorite song, her vision of life gettin’ clearer
Feelin’ so good, nothin’ could go wrong, then she sees the cops in the mirror
But daddy comes to her rescue, says passion ain’t no crime
That’s my baby, she sure has a real good time
She sure has a real good time

Hangin’ with the wild kids, they get the itch
Drivin’ a stolen Benz, the put in a ditch
Her parents try to tell her, you’re playin’ with fire, just think of the bridges your burnin’
You gotta get control of those bad desires, girl it’s time you start learnin’
But she feels like it’s her life, and livin’ it ain’t no crime
Oh yeah baby, she sure has a real good time
She sure has a real good time

Walkin’ the wild side, she jumps the track
Criminals, orgies, and thugs
It’s a one way street and she can’t turn back
She’s dabblin’ in [*****], and peddlin’ drugs

Her reality’s slippin’, she’s losin’ her grip, and her life’s spinnin’ out of control now
Too many run-ins with John Q Law, and the judge says “aren’t you on a roll now”
“Girl, the party is over, you’ll be punished for your crime”
“Hey now baby, your gonna do some time”
“Your gonna do some time”
“Your gonna do some time”

Let me know what you think Take care, Greg

Last edited by Greg Johnson; 11/11/14 12:22 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

Not long ago, I mentioned to Bud that I wanted to do sort of an Elvis Costello song/production. Pop-y, punch-y, catchy.

I think you beat it to it!

Needless to say, I really like this! A GOOD pop song. On several levels. A good (well-written) lyric, not just a string of clichés (so often found in these type song). A terrific, SINGABLE melody - interesting changes without seeming like musical gyration just for the sake of change. Good instrumentation, well paced.

And a concise, yet, well developed story.

I like the vocal processing, but I think it is just a tad too wet. It made me miss parts on the first listen - which I typically do without looking at a lyric. You sing this well and you have a good voice. I think it could be a little more in the limelight (i.e. drier)

Awesome job on an awesome song.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow Greg!

I agree with Floyd this has a Costello sound!
And it sounds excellent. The bridge part (without the drums) is very functional.
This song has the feel of lots of songs from my youth, gives me a nostalgic feeling. Very well done!

Regards,
Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg, Now that was worth the wait. Fabulous song! Great chord choice on the word crime. Nice editing throughout. I agree with with floyd somewhat re the vocal processing. Your radio ready voice is one of the best on the forum and doesn't need that much enhancement. I have never heard anyone reference the Coen brothers in a musical context before but I get it after reading the lyrics. I like everything about the arrangement. Again nice editing and as I have said before- Dude you can really sing! Going back for another listen, this is so good!!! Tom

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow....Greg

This song is really great....I love it....but I think Floyd nailed it on suggestions....Vocal is a little wet.

Other than that the song has a great feel to it and it's a real catchy tune....not to mention good advise to all those wild teenager daughters out there...

Great Job

Horst

Horst Hartung

Windows 10 - RealBand 2020:Build(3); Xtra Styles PAKs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8; 64 bit Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz; 4 TB HD; 550 GB SSD PCIe Drive, 16GB Memory. Behringer UFX1604 Digital Mixer.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
This is really good in every category. Nice job. Enjoyed the song a lot.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg ...

It's always nice to see a new one by you. For us, the lyric is the strongest element of this one. Don't get us wrong ... the musical tracks, arrangement and performance were all great. But the lyric sold this one for us. It was very easy to put ourselves in the picture, like we were right there in the middle of it.

BTW, the distortion guitar was very nicely done! Best to you ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

nice lyrics, a little Floydish.
Great arrangement and vocals. (I agree with the suggestion of others referring the effects).
A very good choice of the lead guitar.
I especially like the aahs in the background.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Greg,

This is great. Floyd gave many particulars, but the thing that struck me first was your outstanding voice. Man, you're dead center on every note and terrific harmony back there. This is all beside the song itself, which is hard not to listen to all the way to the end.

Dean

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Excellent production work here, great vocal; thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Gregg.

In a word, BRILLIANT.

Loved everything.

Excellent production involving constant changes in instrumentation and rhythm and a spot-on mix.

And the reverb on the vocal? Perfect. Just perfect. Suited the style of song and blended the voice into the backing seamlessly. (Sorry Floyd!) And it's not as if I had a reputation for piling on the reverb, is it?

Don't change ANYTHING.

ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow...that's a nasty sounding guitar lead there at the end...

Love It !!!

Yup I caught the EC vibe.....

cool tune.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love the EC influence. Ear candy for me, you know I'm a fan of your voice. I also think the arrangement and the production fit the song perfectly. And aah those aahs. One other thing I'll mention is I thought the melody on this was especially nice too.

Great job Greg.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Holy #$#%%&, that is a fantastic tune.

I could single out every part and throw
superlatives at them but the complete
package is so strong that I have no
desire to try and parse it out. Like
floyd said "punch-y!"

Yeah maybe a little less processing would
make the lyric a bit easier to follow but, hey,
it's rock so listen a bunch of times!

And if imagery is what a great song
writing is all about you have nailed
it, set the piano on fire and left the stage.

Yup, we love it.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

that was top-notch! I liked everything about it! I'd have to agree with everybody's praise... Dude, you have an excellent voice! and you maneuvered the lyrics through that chord pattern slicker than a red hot snow plow cuts through a snow flurry!

And speaking of the chord pattern... that was very interesting.. it wasn't just one of the standard regurgitated patterns that shows up in many many songs. The closest song it reminds me of is "BLINDED BY THE LIGHT" by Manfred Mann (in places, not the whole way through)

You did an AWESOME job of picking real tracks and sewing them together so tightly that I can't even see the seams!

And that solo at the end really rocked.. !

Maaaaaan.. right now the quality of music on the user showcase is STEAMIN'!! EVERYbody is posting one song after another that blows me away!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Greg !

This is your best so far !!!:))
WOW, I love it !!!:))
from start to finish, just loved it !
Thank you for this wonderful song !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

I hear Elvis Costello playing with The Cars. Brilliant!!!
The backing vocals are wonderful.

Nice guitar break at 2.45.

I had a real good time listening to that!!!

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Vocal awesome, Playing Awesome. Song awesome. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Floyd, R and AM, and Tommy, thanks for all your kind words. I've always been into Elvis Costello ever since my brother played me the MY AIM IS TRUE LP back in the 70's. Maybe that's where the dark vibe came in subconsciously. Elvis did that sometimes. I first did the vocal with just Echoboy (Soundtoys) and when I played it on the speakers, it didn't jump enough. Maybe I got a bit carried away with the doubling thing (one track chorused) but it gave more thickness and edge to the sound. I'll probably try backing it off a bit. Thanks again for listening and commenting.

Take care all. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Horst, Thanks for the positive feedback. I really appreciate it. It has been great having you join the forum. There are a lot of creative people doing really cool stuff but you have a niche that's unique and appeals to a lot of us. Thanks again!

Charlie, thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot to me. I've been really diggin' your recent posts.

Alan and Di, really appreciate the feedback on the lyrics. I love lyrics, and I try to make them different and interesting. Glad you appreciate them.

Take care all, Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195