Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
FATHER TIME

SoundCloud Alternate: Father Time

Here's an experimental venture into Americana. We considered several different genres after I wrote the lyric but, FWIW, it seemed to work better with a roots rock groove and Janice came up with a melody that seemed to fit.

Vocal: Janice via Rodes NT1 interfaced to Logic Pro X via Blue Icicle and vocal effects by Izotope’s Necter 2
Lead Guitar: Tom Adams (tommyadmusic.com)
Rhythm Guitars 1: RT 835 Rendered thru Direct Input and distortion applied via a Logic Pro amp/speaker/mic module
Rhythm Guitars 2: RT 833 Rendered thru Direct Input and tremelo applied via a Logic Pro stomp box module
Bass: RT 700 EQ applied via Necter2's EQ module
Drums: N'ville Even 8's with EQ and Reverb from Necter2's modules
Mixing/Mastering: Logic Pro X and Izotope Ozone 6.

Big thanks to Tom for the cool lead guitar and for rhythm guitar effect suggestions/feedback, mix advice and lyric tweaks. And thanks to floyd jane for putting me on to one of the rhythm guitar selections and mix feedback. No way would I have ventured into electric guitar effects w/o their help and support.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and, as always, comments are both welcomed and appreciated.

Father Time
© Merritt/Adams

You ran with the bad crowd everyday after school
and fought imaginary enemies down the avenue
Always taking advantage of the less fortunate

made out like a bandit, never failed to take the credit

You're on a one way track, ain't nobody got your back

Chorus:
You may think you have all that you ever desired

but your memory is fading and your body grows tired 

There's one tall mountain you'll never climb

it's not long, you’ ll be brought down by Father Time

Sycophants danced 'round you like rock groupies 

you paid off everyone in sight even all the juries 

Said you were in Nam, claimed you earned the Heart

funny how your buddies don’t remember that part

You're on a one way track, ain't nobody got your back

Chorus

Bridge 

Now your bones are aching and your eyes are dimming
It won't be very long, you've played your swan song

Chorus

______

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bud and Janice
That is quite some song! Being brought down by Father Time. The great leveller. Really enjoyed Tommýs guitar and as always Janice vocal is spot on'. Love the groupies/juries rhyme. Good one!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice and Bud,

A very good song. Vocals nice, clear and crisp as always.
The guitar is very cool, Tommy has done a great job.

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, this one is a little different than some of your more recent offerings! I needed to step back a few paces and really listen for a while to get my brain wrapped around a whole new kind of Merritts song!

I am particularly interested in the lyrics. The specific observations being made suggest you may have somebody in mind. If so, would you care to elaborate? (If you'd rather not, I certainly understand) On the other hand, if its more of a generic observation about a certain KIND of person you've encountered in life, I'd like to hear more about that too. Anyway, I thought the lyrics stole the show on this tune! I'm guessing Bud wrote them? If so, AWESOME job, my friend! I am so envious! I can't write good lyrics to save my soul!

Its interesting to me that this song comes on the heels of Floyd's suggestion that JosieC revamp her folk tune as a frisco folk rock tune ala Jefferson Airplane, because I get a very similar vibe from this song.

One of the things that gives it that vibe is the fact that more modern pop music relies heavily on hooks and signature riffs that have sorta become the benchmark of commercial music. In the 60s most acts were highly resistant to the idea of making music for commercial reasons, and therefore the guitar parts were more ethereal. Whether the lack of recurring riffs in those days was planned, or whether it was just because they were stoned, and couldn't remember what they played in the last verse in order to play it again... is a moot point now. But its worth noting that the lack of hooks is somewhat characteristic of that era.

Having said all that, I notice that Tommy seems to have purposefully passed up the opportunity to rubber stamp the same riffs throughout this song. Instead he plays from the heart at each passage, which has the end result of making the decorations more varied and interesting from start to finish. Good job, Tommy!

Normally, this is the part of the review where I would take the rest of the day to craft a succinct paragraph of meticulously chosen words that describe Janice's awesomeness to the best of my verbal ability. But, I'm starting to feel like such a suck-up that I'm a little bit embarrassed to do it in every single review! Really, I am. So, this time, in an effort to scale the praise back a notch so that future praise isn't quite as eye-rollingly predictable, I'll leave it at this:

Janice, you are awesome. If you ever stop singing, boy will I be mad. If singers were food, all the singer chicks on the radio would be dog food, but you'd be steak. I think Guitar Center should have one whole wall painted as a mural of you. The next presidential function should feature music by the Merritts. The next space mission should include a time capsule with your CD in it so whatever alien civilization finds it will know that earth included a musically superior race of Merritts.

There. (Did that work as a scaled back and almost totally muted observation?)

;-)

disclaimer: only radio singer chicks are dog food in comparison. The forum singer chicks are all awesome, and they will get their own individual praise-fest each time they post their ear candy!

Last edited by Pat Marr; 11/20/14 06:31 AM. Reason: fixed various typos
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Loved it!! Love the concept. We all have known someone like the character in this song, and had that emotion. Mix and arrangement are superb, and Tommyad is always going to be a great addition to a track. The live vibe to the track is great, and Janice delivers the vocals beautifully. What's not to like? A true gem!! BTW, for a different slant on the time angle, check out TIME THE CONQUEROR by Jackson Browne. It's worth the listen. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Excellent write, excellent production, excellent Guitar and excellent vocals. Really enjoyed this and looking forward to hearing something from you guys again real soon.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really loved this tune. Excellent lyrics. As always excellent singing and playing. Excellent guitar work. Great collaboration..

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JosieC
Hi Bud and Janice
That is quite some song! Being brought down by Father Time. The great leveller. Really enjoyed Tommýs guitar and as always Janice vocal is spot on'. Love the groupies/juries rhyme. Good one!

Thank you Joanne. Mercifully folks of that ilk can't last forever.

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Janice and Bud,

A very good song. Vocals nice, clear and crisp as always.
The guitar is very cool, Tommy has done a great job.
Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

We appreciate that guys. It was a fun departure.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Bud, Janice and Tommy !:))

Father Time, yeah seems we
are all slowly closing up to
that time ? I liked this
production really much and
Janice (what a voice !!!)
enhances every bit of the
melody ! WOW !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Janice & Bud and Tommy,

great collaboration.
Excellent lyrics. Janice's voice shining like always.
Tommy's guitar work makes it unique.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B&T...

Stellar. Pro sound from every direction.

It sounds like Janice sat in as guest vocalist with The Grateful Dead.
Right down to that guitar guy... nice!

And... kudos for getting "sycophants" into a lyric! smile

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey!

The three of you, along with BIAB, sound super! Man, I can relate to the lyric. I'm close to 70 years old and growing old is not a graceful process! I figured out why I always have blisters on my fingers ... I thought it was from practicing guitar 2 or 3 hours a day, almost every day. Nope ...it's from having turned so danged many calender pages!

The soul in Janice's voice is perfectly matched with Tom's excellent guitar work. And Bud's lyric tells the tale!

Super job! i didn't listen to a lot of rock back in the 60's, 70's, & 80's, so I (Alan) can't comment too much on the groups that have been mentioned. Heck, I was playing lead guitar in a Country band 25 nights a month! It took all I had to keep up with that!

But, this is cool, regardless of who it might sound like. To me it sounded like a J&B hit featuring Tom Adams. That works for me any day of the week!

Best to you. All three of yas did down-right superb work!

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Well, this one is a little different than some of your more recent offerings! I needed to step back a few paces and really listen for a while to get my brain wrapped around a whole new kind of Merritts song!

I am particularly interested in the lyrics. The specific observations being made suggest you may have somebody in mind. If so, would you care to elaborate? (If you'd rather not, I certainly understand) On the other hand, if its more of a generic observation about a certain KIND of person you've encountered in life, I'd like to hear more about that too. Anyway, I thought the lyrics stole the show on this tune! I'm guessing Bud wrote them? If so, AWESOME job, my friend! I am so envious! I can't write good lyrics to save my soul!

Its interesting to me that this song comes on the heels of Floyd's suggestion that JosieC revamp her folk tune as a frisco folk rock tune ala Jefferson Airplane, because I get a very similar vibe from this song.

One of the things that gives it that vibe is the fact that more modern pop music relies heavily on hooks and signature riffs that have sorta become the benchmark of commercial music. In the 60s most acts were highly resistant to the idea of making music for commercial reasons, and therefore the guitar parts were more ethereal. Whether the lack of recurring riffs in those days was planned, or whether it was just because they were stoned, and couldn't remember what they played in the last verse in order to play it again... is a moot point now. But its worth noting that the lack of hooks is somewhat characteristic of that era.

Having said all that, I notice that Tommy seems to have purposefully passed up the opportunity to rubber stamp the same riffs throughout this song. Instead he plays from the heart at each passage, which has the end result of making the decorations more varied and interesting from start to finish. Good job, Tommy!

Normally, this is the part of the review where I would take the rest of the day to craft a succinct paragraph of meticulously chosen words that describe Janice's awesomeness to the best of my verbal ability. But, I'm starting to feel like such a suck-up that I'm a little bit embarrassed to do it in every single review! Really, I am. So, this time, in an effort to scale the praise back a notch so that future praise isn't quite as eye-rollingly predictable, I'll leave it at this:

Janice, you are awesome. If you ever stop singing, boy will I be mad. If singers were food, all the singer chicks on the radio would be dog food, but you'd be steak. I think Guitar Center should have one whole wall painted as a mural of you. The next presidential function should feature music by the Merritts. The next space mission should include a time capsule with your CD in it so whatever alien civilization finds it will know that earth included a musically superior race of Merritts.

There. (Did that work as a scaled back and almost totally muted observation?)

;-)

disclaimer: only radio singer chicks are dog food in comparison. The forum singer chicks are all awesome, and they will get their own individual praise-fest each time they post their ear candy!

Pat, when Janice and I decided to venture back into making music after nearly a decade off your comments on our early posts were and remain very meaningful to us. Since we were experimenting way out of our bluegrass comfort zone we didn't always get a lot of support from our old music friends. This forum and folks like you gave us the encouragement to forge on.

Father Time drew mixed comments from family and friends as it's more rock oriented than any previous efforts. We knew immediately that Tom's guitar was excellent and perfectly fit the song. However weren't completely sure if structurally, lyrically and melody wise we were on the "right" track for a roots rock tune. That's why responses like yours are such confidence builders and we always appreciate them.

You asked about the origin of the lyric. We all have seen many good caring people pass on way too early. And at the same time we see truly awful or even evil people live long lives. People without one whit of humanity. It seems that only Father Time brings them down. Yet it's hard to take solace in that as Father Time eventually takes us all. So I had no one person in mind - just a composite of a few personal encounters and characters from history and current news.

Thanks for your remarks and interest in the lyric. And Janice was just overwhelmed by your thoughts about her vocal.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I want to check in here and thank all the listeners who commented on the guitar work. I viewed this as an alternative country roots rock sound and envisioned it being played in a club in Austin. There is something just a little off on the intro guitar lead, but we decided it added to the not-so-perfect vibe we were looking for. Thanks to Bud and Janice for letting me become a part of this one. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Pat, when Janice and I decided to venture back into making music after nearly a decade off your comments on our early posts were and remain very meaningful to us. Since we were experimenting way out of our bluegrass comfort zone we didn't always get a lot of support from our old music friends. This forum and folks like you gave us the encouragement to forge on.

that makes me happy!

Quote:
Father Time drew mixed comments from family and friends as it's more rock oriented than any previous efforts. We knew immediately that Tom's guitar was excellent and perfectly fit the song. However weren't completely sure if structurally, lyrically and melody wise we were on the "right" track for a roots rock tune. That's why responses like yours are such confidence builders and we always appreciate them.

friends and family are free to have their opinions... but I'm glad you have the strength of conviction to walk according to your own vision instead of mooing along with the herd. Creative people shouldn't moo. (there's a song there somewhere.. wink )

Quote:
You asked about the origin of the lyric. We all have seen many good caring people pass on way too early. And at the same time we see truly awful or even evil people live long lives. People without one whit of humanity. It seems that only Father Time brings them down. Yet it's hard to take solace in that as Father Time eventually takes us all. So I had no one person in mind - just a composite of a few personal encounters and characters from history and current news.

thanks for taking time to elaborate! Your lyrics did a great job of capturing the stated intent!

Quote:
Thanks for your remarks and interest in the lyric. And Janice was just overwhelmed by your thoughts about her vocal.

I always enjoy your stuff. I just hope you never hear the praise as anything but sincere. 'cause it is.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
I want to check in here and thank all the listeners who commented on the guitar work. I viewed this as an alternative country roots rock sound and envisioned it being played in a club in Austin. There is something just a little off on the intro guitar lead, but we decided it added to the not-so-perfect vibe we were looking for. Thanks to Bud and Janice for letting me become a part of this one. Tom

Tommy,

after many listens I can't hear anything in the guitar intro that sounds "off"

Your guitar work is characterized by its authenticity. Please never change.

wink

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice and Bud,

It was a bit of a shock to her Janice's voice in front of distorted guitars but her voice is so beautiful as always.

Tom rocks as usual!!
Wonderful lyrics!!

Different but brilliant.
Good selection of guitars, floyd

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Loved it!! Love the concept. We all have known someone like the character in this song, and had that emotion. Mix and arrangement are superb, and Tommyad is always going to be a great addition to a track. The live vibe to the track is great, and Janice delivers the vocals beautifully. What's not to like? A true gem!! BTW, for a different slant on the time angle, check out TIME THE CONQUEROR by Jackson Browne. It's worth the listen. Take care. Greg

Thanks for the kind words Greg! We are familiar with the Jackson Browne song and, yes, it is definitely worth the listen and then some. It's very cool that you like this....as mentioned previously we were apprehensive about whether it worked or not. Thanks again.

J&B

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Excellent write, excellent production, excellent Guitar and excellent vocals. Really enjoyed this and looking forward to hearing something from you guys again real soon.

Charlie

Glad it worked for you Charlie. Very nice of you say that.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Really loved this tune. Excellent lyrics. As always excellent singing and playing. Excellent guitar work. Great collaboration..

Thanks Scott. Happy that it worked for you.

J&B

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Bud, Janice and Tommy !:))

Father Time, yeah seems we
are all slowly closing up to
that time ? I liked this
production really much and
Janice (what a voice !!!)
enhances every bit of the
melody ! WOW !

Cheers
Dani

Thanks Dani!!

J&B

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janice & Bud and Tommy,

great collaboration.
Excellent lyrics. Janice's voice shining like always.
Tommy's guitar work makes it unique.
Enjoyable listen.

Guenter

Thank you Guenter. We appreciate your remarks very much.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
J&B&T...

Stellar. Pro sound from every direction.

It sounds like Janice sat in as guest vocalist with The Grateful Dead.
Right down to that guitar guy... nice!

And... kudos for getting "sycophants" into a lyric! smile

floyd

Thanks floyd, kind of you, and yep Janice is a big time Garcia fan!

Yeah, I'd been waiting years to get that word in a line......

J&B

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hey!

The three of you, along with BIAB, sound super! Man, I can relate to the lyric. I'm close to 70 years old and growing old is not a graceful process! I figured out why I always have blisters on my fingers ... I thought it was from practicing guitar 2 or 3 hours a day, almost every day. Nope ...it's from having turned so danged many calender pages!

The soul in Janice's voice is perfectly matched with Tom's excellent guitar work. And Bud's lyric tells the tale!

Super job! i didn't listen to a lot of rock back in the 60's, 70's, & 80's, so I (Alan) can't comment too much on the groups that have been mentioned. Heck, I was playing lead guitar in a Country band 25 nights a month! It took all I had to keep up with that!

But, this is cool, regardless of who it might sound like. To me it sounded like a J&B hit featuring Tom Adams. That works for me any day of the week!

Best to you. All three of yas did down-right superb work!

Alan & Di

Thanks y'all. Yep, father time will take us all down but there certainly characters who don't deserve a long run!

Thanks again and I'm with you on pushing 70 -- it's no cake walk!

Originally Posted By: tommyad

Thanks Tom, w/o that guitar this project would never have come together. We do appreciate it.

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,451
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195