Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
musiclover #287897 03/14/15 12:49 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Great Song Bob, I love everything about this and the vocalist sure does the song justice. Great lyrics and good melody line, and the mix is good too.

I sure hope that somebody picks up on it for you.

Musiclover

Thanks for the kind remarks. Appreciate it.

Regards,

Bob

Guitarhacker #287901 03/14/15 01:43 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Bart liked the song, but suggested some major changes. Like cutting the steel guitar and dobro. Problem is, there isn't any steel guitar or dobro on the recording. grin

WOW.... I literally laughed out loud....I've always been suspicious of those so-called hit writers who work at NSAI and the other services offered in this business....and the advice they give.... one says up, the next one says down.....the next one says white, the next one says black.... You have to wonder sometimes did they even listen to the song. It's pretty obvious there's no dobro or steel in that. As you recall, the only comments I had was to add some polish and shorten the intro.... the song was mighty fine..... mighty fine.

Bob....Was that a one on one mentor or a basic review?

I did a one on one mentoring with RC Bannon on a song when he was the president out there.... We discussed 2 songs and he was telling me MAJOR changes and re-writes were needed on the first two.... structural stuff...lyrical stuff...... then with about 12 minutes remaining in the 1 on 1, I asked him to review one more song quickly. After he listened, unlike the first two, he appeared to really like the song and suggested a few changes.... the main one being get another singer who can "sell the song convincingly"... and so I did. Made a few of the other changes.... minor things that he suggested like cut the solo out and do a simple quick turnaround back to the chorus, and sent it back in. The only problem was....well, RC wasn't on the list of reviewers.... he did mentoring but not reviews. So it was a tossup.... I picked a country song reviewer and sent it in with some basic info on what RC had suggested and what I did....

I was expecting a decent review and perhaps a recommendation....at least a "ones to watch" posting..... nope... I'm glad I didn't make a bet on that.... because this new review tore that song a new one.... up one side and down the other....I've gotten better reviews from rough first drafts than I did from that polished up and re-worked song....

FYI the song in question I'm referring to is Come & Go (Rose Version)

Kinda makes you just want to throw your hands up and pull your hair out from the pure frustration

“Bob....Was that a one on one mentor or a basic review?”

It was a response to my complaint about a horrible “Pitch To Publisher”, when the “publisher” (actually a gum-chewing, baseball cap-wearing, word-slurring, knuckle-dragging Millennial cretin with 0 credits to his name) grin had
given the song short shrift.

After my complaint, I got a response from Bart. Obviously, he either didn't listen to the song, or the underling who did the “critique” for him can't tell a Telecaster from a pedal steel. laugh

NSAI is not in the music business. They are in what I call the “Music Business Business”. It is what it is.

Regards,

Bob

SpaceDog #287902 03/14/15 01:44 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: SpaceDog
Bob,
Well done. Very enjoyable. Great BGVs.
SD

Thanks SD.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #287930 03/14/15 04:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well done! Love the chorus hook. And the mix and instruments are spot on.

gruverider #288044 03/15/15 01:57 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
Well done! Love the chorus hook. And the mix and instruments are spot on.

Lawrence,

Thanks for listening and the kind words.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #288073 03/15/15 08:15 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bob.

I'm weighing in late as usual and of course it's all been said...

but for what it's worth I thought it was brilliant.

Plus what everyone else said.

ROG.

ROG #288117 03/15/15 03:20 PM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Bob.

I'm weighing in late as usual and of course it's all been said...

but for what it's worth I thought it was brilliant.

Plus what everyone else said.

ROG.

Thanks Professor. Appreciate the listen.

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #288134 03/15/15 09:14 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

Just thought I would comment again to this megalith type post

Quote:
Gonna have a big time, big time, big time in this small town tonight.

Quote:
The song is making the rounds in Nashville in search of a publisher, and has received generally favorable reviews. It did make the “Ones To Watch” list in January on the N.S.A.I. “E.A.R.S' report, and I got a personal critique from Bart Herbison, the Executive Director of NSAI.

I received a lot of valid suggestions, and am aware that it could be greatly improved, but I feel that as a simple song demo it is adequate.

If nothing happens with the song, we will still be performing it on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour, where it will be heard by tens of people. grin

Hmmmm Sounds just as good on the 2nd listen so maybe it is I that could borrow $ 73.78 USD ( at the current exchange rates) grin

Good luck with the song

Alyn

90 dB #288173 03/16/15 06:00 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Alyn.

If I had $ 73.78 USD, we wouldn't be on the 2015 90 dB Dive Bar World Tour! We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin

90 dB #288176 03/16/15 07:09 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin

NOW that sounds a plan!! grin laugh

Alyn

gibson #288180 03/16/15 07:16 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
Quote:
We'd be in Key west getting legless. grin

NOW that sounds a plan!! grin laugh

Alyn

We'll be right here:

http://sloppyjoes.com/

90 dB #288341 03/17/15 06:41 PM
User Showcase
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Bob,

I'll try not to rehash what's already been said but won't make any promises. wink I've been away from the boards for a few weeks and then hear this as the first song coming back..

To put it mildly, I was gobsmacked.

To understand how big of a statement that is, consider this: I've been a guitarist for well over 4 decades and have invested TONS of time and thousands of dollars on music gear. I've learned and play several styles fluently. As many excellent contributing members on the forum do, I recognize a strong production when the sound hits the ear canal. In other words, "When you've heard it all, it's hard to be this impressed with anything".

Unless the piece really delivers the goods, of course. This song has it in spades.

I enjoy listening to, and playing a tasteful guitar part based on the needs of a song as much as the next six-slinger. However, the songwriting, production and vocal performance on this number were so good that I didn't even MISS it. It really didn't matter. This is huge because I'm always zeroing in on everything that is going on (or not going on) musically speaking. I've listened to a good many Nashville demos back in the day and this tune is as good as any I've heard, then or now. You've done a really nice job at capturing a contemporary country feel to the song.

Best wishes to you and your efforts pitching it.. I know as a seasoned musician, I was enjoying the whole vibe going on with it. I believe if it gets to the right artist, you have a great chance at getting a few more than tens of fans. laugh

David

davidgitar #288435 03/18/15 02:31 AM
User Showcase
90 dB Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: davidgitar
Bob,

I'll try not to rehash what's already been said but won't make any promises. wink I've been away from the boards for a few weeks and then hear this as the first song coming back..

To put it mildly, I was gobsmacked.

To understand how big of a statement that is, consider this: I've been a guitarist for well over 4 decades and have invested TONS of time and thousands of dollars on music gear. I've learned and play several styles fluently. As many excellent contributing members on the forum do, I recognize a strong production when the sound hits the ear canal. In other words, "When you've heard it all, it's hard to be this impressed with anything".

Unless the piece really delivers the goods, of course. This song has it in spades.

I enjoy listening to, and playing a tasteful guitar part based on the needs of a song as much as the next six-slinger. However, the songwriting, production and vocal performance on this number were so good that I didn't even MISS it. It really didn't matter. This is huge because I'm always zeroing in on everything that is going on (or not going on) musically speaking. I've listened to a good many Nashville demos back in the day and this tune is as good as any I've heard, then or now. You've done a really nice job at capturing a contemporary country feel to the song.

Best wishes to you and your efforts pitching it.. I know as a seasoned musician, I was enjoying the whole vibe going on with it. I believe if it gets to the right artist, you have a great chance at getting a few more than tens of fans. laugh

David

David,

Thanks for the kind remarks and good wishes. I can take credit for the song, lyrics and arrangement - BUT:

BIAB provided the players to bring it to life, and Brian Nolf (the singer) added the magic that only a seasoned pro can. Without those two entities, it would just be a little country folk song.

The pitching continues apace. I pitched it to a lady in the frozen food aisle in the supermarket yesterday. She wasn't interested. grin

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #288997 03/22/15 03:24 PM
User Showcase
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I agree, Bob. Points well taken. The song is a prime example of what is possible with the current incarnation of BIAB and/or RT and a pro singer (and a quality ear for arrangement as well as mix).

Regards,
David

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,589
Posts734,768
Members38,501
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191