You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#269208 - 11/21/14 08:56 AM [User Showcase] Goodbye My Friend
Loc: North Bend, Oregon 97459
horsthartung Offline
Apprentice

Loc: North Bend, Oregon 97459
Here's a song I wrote about my high school sweetheart but we used to fight a lot....so this song just popped out...

Here's the link: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung/goodbye-my-friend-1

I played the lead acoustic guitar and bass and sang lead and harmony. Everything else was Realband 2014

Goodbye My Friend
By Horst Hartung 1972

Well It’s six three long years, we’ve been together
It won’t be easy to say goodbye
But all we do is yell and fight, I know you, it ain’t right
I think it’s time for me to go

Before I go I’d like to tell you, I’m not mad at you
And I’d like to say, I think I’m gonna miss you
And although our love has gone, I’d still like to see you
I don’t want to lose you as a friend, I don’t want to lose you

You know you make it hard, and I, I think you know
Oooh, I’d like to stay, but it ain’t gonna work out
And the soft spot in my heart, it’s telling me to stay
I think you know as I, I have to go

So Goodbye my friend, I have to leave you, although I wanna stay
And my broken heart cries, I sure don’t want to leave you
And I’ll wipe that tear from my eye, It’s time to say goodbye
I don’t want to lose you as a friend

Lead:

Before I go I’d like to tell you, I’m not mad at you
And I’d like to say, I think I’m gonna miss you
And although our love has gone, I’d still like to see you

As I turn toward the door, close it behind me
Ooooh I realize, what I have done
And though the pain, it hurts me so, walking away slow
Leaving behind me, a cold and empty soul

So Goodbye my friend, I have to leave you, although I wanna stay
And my broken heart cries, I sure don’t want to leave you
And I’ll wipe that tear from my eye, It’s time to say goodbye

Repeat:

Windows 10 - RealBand 2020:Build(3); Xtra Styles PAKs 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8; 64 bit Intel Xeon CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz; 4 TB HD; 550 GB SSD PCIe Drive, 16GB Memory. Behringer UFX1604 Digital Mixer.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/horst_hartung

#269232 - 11/21/14 11:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Hello Horst. This is a really good song and follows pretty closely how the song would have been commercially produced in 1972 in my opinion. Excellent lyrics, guitar, bass and vocals. This is a favorite style of music to me and I've really enjoyed the post.

A lot of musicians still learn the licks, chord progressions and harmonies from songs from this era and I would not be surprised to see country turn back to this style in some fashion some day.

This is a strong song that holds its own just like it is and if I were to make any suggestions to make it sparkle a bit more in genre is to say even on acoustic based productions, the harmonies BG Vocals and steel guitar usually had greater presence in the overall mix. You make good use of these in your production, but maybe play with bringing a few more background ooh's/ahh's into the mix and making the pedal steel guitar more active by playing some riffs along with the held notes.

Good comparison songs for the genre are Poco's just for me and you or Pure Prairie Leagues, Amie.

Immensely enjoyed the song as is,

Charlie

Edited by c_fogle (11/21/14 11:08 AM)

#269234 - 11/21/14 11:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Horst !:))

I like this tune and
your performance
especially your
sweet harmony vocals
really nicely done !:))

Cheers
Dani

Edited by dani48 (11/22/14 06:57 AM)

#269235 - 11/21/14 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Great vibe on this one!! A little Grateful Dead. Vocals are very cool-love the organic sound you get, and the interplay between the parts is very catchy and appealing. Another great tune!! Take care. Greg

#269240 - 11/21/14 01:04 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Horst,

a very catchy song!
The arrangement sound smooth, vocals, and backing very well done, especially the choruses.

regards,
Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#269283 - 11/21/14 07:42 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Wow Horst,

Wrote that in 1972 - you sure nailed that vibe. What a great songwriter's ear you have for melody. This song is so authentic with the melody changes, vocals, harmonies that it could have come right off an album from that era. Makes me want to whoop out the acoustic and sing along.

What a treat.

Josie

#269284 - 11/21/14 07:43 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
Al-David Offline
Veteran

Loc: Originally Missouri ... Now Al...
HI Horst ...

Nice song! It reminded us of some Country Folk from the 60s and 70's, a la John Denver, The Kendalls, maybe even Peter Paul & Mary.

The harmony was great and your acoustic guitar pickin' was real nice!

Nicely done! Best to you ...

Alan

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

#269390 - 11/22/14 06:26 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Horst,

nice tune and arrangement. Like the vocals and harmonies and your guitar work.

Guenter

#269403 - 11/22/14 07:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Nice job on that, Horst.

A good Pure-Prairie-League-vibe to it. (I thought the pedal steel could come up in your mix some in the choruses).

A good listen.

floyd

#269434 - 11/22/14 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

Loc: wales
Horst,

That is a good song, I really enjoyed ALL your input especially the vocals.

You are a good performer and writer.
Very enjoyable

Alyn

My story

#269619 - 11/22/14 02:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Horst, You nailed that California country rock sound. Brings back some fond memories. I agree that the steel should be brought up. Nicely written and very well sung. Tom

#269720 - 11/22/14 07:24 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Horst,
Sorry I'm late to comment. Really enjoyed the tune. + 1 for all the other comments. Thanks for posting.
SD

#269721 - 11/22/14 07:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: floyd jane]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Nice job on that, Horst.

A good Pure-Prairie-League-vibe to it.

My thought exactly!

#269828 - 11/23/14 07:16 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
It's been said. Early 70's CA rock sound
for sure and PPL certainly comes to
mind. Excellent arrangement and
write.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

#269840 - 11/23/14 07:53 AM [User Showcase] Re: Goodbye My Friend [Re: horsthartung]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Horst,

Great sound - Love it!

Bob

PG Music News
Listen to the Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio Today!

You may know about our User Showcase Forum, but have you heard about our Band-in-a-Box® User Showcase Radio?

What a great way to listen to all of the Band-in-a-Box® creations from program users just-like-you! It's as easy as choosing a playlist and pressing play!

Click here to access our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, and don't forget to bookmark your new favorite page!

Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32624 Members
68 Forums
65561 Topics
555923 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
supervanille, Kinney Jeff, Pacus, Tocopixel, pjn

32623 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 149