Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#269742 - 11/22/14 08:36 PM [User Showcase] New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Hello, fellow PG people. Got inspired to finish and post my Beatle-esque number by Horst and his recent post. This was absolutely inspired by the boys in the box. The 12 string electric is such a cool vibe. I thought the track would sound more like the Byrds but it sounds a bit more like the fab four. My son's guitar teacher Bill Edwards is the one who played the killer guitar, the highlight of the song. Hope you enjoy. Comments welcomed! Take care. Greg

Bass 388 Elec Metal ev
Organ 686 Background pop even
Drums Classic Brit ev TtHt Ht wide open
Guitar 405 Ac strum ev
Guitar 1030 12 String elec finger picking ev
Guitar 699 Rhythm elec rock dirty ev

https://soundcloud.com/gjohnson-2/how-loves-supposed-masterexpt

HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL

I’ve seen it in the movies, like it happens every day
Love gives you the groovies and the strings begin to play
I never was a believer, never knew what love could do
Never ‘til the first time I saw you

But now Cupid shot me, his arrow got me
And now I know it’s real
Now I see just how love is supposed to feel

I’m dizzy with the motion like I’m falling through the skies
Windswept by emotion then I’m sailing in your eyes
A kaleidoscope of pleasures are colliding in my mind
I never knew treasures I would find

It’s a magic feeling, my head is reeling
Now I know it’s real
I’ m finally seeing how love is supposed to feel

I can’t wrap my head around it but I know it in my heart
From the moment that I saw you, love ignited me right from the start

It’s a fundamental transformation, everything has changed
A spiritual transmutation has me rearranged
I’ve had a taste of heaven now and nothing else will do
There’s no other path I can pursue

It’s a magic feeling, my head is reeling
Now I know it’s real
I’ m finally seeing how love is supposed to feel

Edited by Greg Johnson (11/22/14 09:26 PM)

#269765 - 11/22/14 09:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Iowa
JPeden73 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Cool tune. I definitely hear the Beatles vibe, but with a modern twist. Nice lyric...it gave me the groovies)). Enjoyed the listen.

-Jeff

#269766 - 11/22/14 10:16 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Hi Greg. Nice tune. Lot's to like with this one. Interesting panning. The vibe did seem to fall between a little bit Beatle and a little bit Byrds. Unique enough to be all Greg. Good harmonies and Your friend did give us the highlight of the song with his guitar.

I think this song would also work if arranged for an Everly Brothers vibe.

Enjoyed this a lot.

Charlie

#269797 - 11/23/14 04:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Florida
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Great tune Greg! The lead solo really took it over the top. Big Beatles and Byrds fan here. Love that 12 string.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#269814 - 11/23/14 06:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Greg...

What a fun listen! So many nice aspects to this.

An excellent write. Fits the style/era nicely but does not seem dated at all (the lyric, I mean). You are a melody wizard.

While influences might "peek through" I did not hear anything that says "that is like..." - it's Greg Johnson, I think. (At one point, I got a vibe of the Lemmon Pipers "Green Tambourine")

Cool solo guitar!

Love your vocals on this!

If we could turn back the clock to when we still listened to AM radio, this could have been a #1...

Regardless, it is a great listen today.

I like it!!!!

floyd

gee.. almost forget... excellent production! excellent mix!

Edited by floyd jane (11/23/14 06:19 AM)

#269825 - 11/23/14 07:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Greg, I am a huge Beatles fan and you are obviously influenced by them. Nice use of the lower harmony ( an old Lennon-McCartney trick). Your voice is just perfect for this. Of course I haven't heard anything yet from you that hasn't been fantastic. Your writing, arrangement, mix are all top shelf. Bill plays some fabulous leads. ( If your son learns to play half that good he will be great ) All this adds up to a really enjoyable listen and well put together track, but it's the VOICE that puts this over the top. I am a huge fan. Standing O !!! Tom

#269846 - 11/23/14 08:12 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Greg,

I'll echo Jeff - gave me the groovies. Cool intro and rocking guitar lead. Tight well written romantic lyrics and sweet vocals. Your mixes just get better and better.

Josie

#269861 - 11/23/14 08:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
EVERYTHING is stellar...period.

But, man, do you ever have great
vocal chops! Sounds very Beatlesque
with John singing lead.

OK, I'm a Beatles fan -- big time. Saw them
in Jacksonville and Atlanta. Guess that gives
me a little cred :-)

This is one for the playlist.

Kudos!!

J&B
J&B Website

#269897 - 11/23/14 12:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Greg,

We knew this one was coming, and man.... this sounds great!!
The Beatles? How about the Byrds (especially the very cool low background vocal)? Everything sits well in the song.
The chorus is perfect as well as the chord progression and lead and backing vocals. We also love the soloist.
You've really outdone yourself here!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#269915 - 11/23/14 01:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Hey, I enjoyed listening to this.... cool tune.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#269928 - 11/23/14 01:57 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent song. Loved the jangly guitar. Excellent lyrics and singing. Guitar solo was cool as well

#269999 - 11/23/14 07:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: JPeden73]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Jeff! I'm not sure if I've seen your name on the forum before or not. Appreciate the kind words and thanks for listening! Take care. Greg

#270000 - 11/23/14 07:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Charlie! Really appreciate the nice comments. I have really loved what you've been doing. You are one of the rising stars of the forum. Keep posting! Take care. Greg

#270001 - 11/23/14 07:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: 90 dB]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

THanks Bob. Means a lot coming from you. You're doing great stuff! I would push your last post-lots of songs I love on this forum but few that have more of a chance for getting cut than that one. Thanks again! Take care. Greg

#270003 - 11/23/14 07:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: floyd jane]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Floyd. Your feedback is much appreciated! You are one of the great writers on the forum. As much as I love deep, meaningful lyrics, this musical concept just screamed for something dizzy and radio-ish. When I got the idea, it reminded me of the old days when music was just "groovy"-before I got into the heaviness of Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell and co. The music took me to another place and I went with it. Means a lot to me that you enjoyed it!! Take care. Greg

#270005 - 11/23/14 07:21 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: tommyad]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Tommy! You are one of my handful of favorites on the forum (probably shouldn't say that but it's true). Really appreciate all of the kind things you have to say. Love your guitar playing! And, now you're becoming one of my favorite singers. Also, have to ask how you get that BIG sound on the bass and drums. You're last rockin" post sounded huge on the bottom end-I was listening on cans (which I rarely do) and was like WOW! Also, as the blues guru of the forum, could you give a listen to Heartbreak Blues (the radicalized version) and let me know what you think via the back door. Would love to have your input. Take care. Greg

#270007 - 11/23/14 07:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Sundance]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Josie!! Just responded to Tommy that he was one of my handful of favorites. So, after telling you that, I have to keep the other 3 a secret (not really sure if it's 5, 6, 7-never actually counted but I treasure your kind words!). Loved your new one with Robert! Thanks so much for the encouragement through the email. It is always challenging to put creative stuff forward in a society that basically only responds to being jack-hammered with something through Youtube. Your kind words mean more than you'll ever know. Thanks again. Take care. Greg

#270008 - 11/23/14 07:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Janice & Bud]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks J and B!! That must have been incredible to see the Beatles! I have watched a lot of videos but was a bit young (about 10 at the time of their last US show-believe it may have bee Candlestick in SF?). A kid I knew about 3 years older than me claimed he got to the stage and touched Ringo's boot (seriously doubt it), and another friend said "touch my hand and I'll never wash it again". Those were the days. The magic still comes through on video. Love the positive vibes (and great tunes) from you guys! Take care, and thanks again. Greg

#270009 - 11/23/14 07:32 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: RnAM]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

R and AM, THANKS!! You guys have been the most prolific contributors AND all with quality stuff. I don't know how you do it. Some of the best conceived, best produced stuff on the forum (and that's saying a lot!). Really appreciate your dedication and your kind words to me. Keep 'em comin' Take care. Greg

#270011 - 11/23/14 07:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: New Song Post: HOW LOVE IS SUPPOSED TO FEEL [Re: Guitarhacker]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Thanks Herb! I appreciate your detailed and thoughtful feedback. You have great ears and great insight! Always enjoy your songs but I have enjoyed the last 2 in particular. Doing great stuff! I also appreciate your honesty when you feel like something should be tweaked. It's great to give thoughtful feedback and you always do. Thanks again, and take care. Greg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Order in Time for Christmas!

Looking to put Band-in-a-Box® under the tree? It's not too late!

USA/Canada: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 21st for Express delivery
Outside of North America: Order before 12:30 pm Pacific time December 19th.

Order online anytime at www.pgmusic.com and be downloading most products within minutes!

Until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade!

With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows, we've packed our Free Bonus PAK & 49-PAK with some amazing Add-ons! The Free Bonus PAK is automatically included with most Band-in-a-Box® for Windows 2019 packages, but for more even more Add-ons (including 40 Unreleased RealTracks) upgrade it to the 2019 49-PAK for only $49. You can see the full lists of items in each package, and listen to demos here.

Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available.

Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

Forum Stats
28475 Members
58 Forums
55360 Topics
461280 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Gord Heath, Krisssss Wu, MikeF, csinclair152, Sletrry

28474 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 400
Pipeline 363