Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#271012 - 11/28/14 07:01 AM [User Showcase] From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar)
Sundance Offline
Veteran

This is my version of Charlie's song with Pat on lead guitar and cello. It's more of a pop rock version so the vocal is heard but not as out front as some other genres. The mandolin and piano alternate in focus (volume)to add a bit of movement to the track. I tried to make it my own going for an ethereal feel with a slow dance make out vibe while staying true to the soul of Charlie's song. Special thanks to Pat for the guitar and cello.

From You To Me

I'll update RT's in a bit. smile

Hope you like it.

Josie

Edited by Sundance (11/28/14 07:01 AM)

#271052 - 11/28/14 09:20 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Josie, Charlie and Pat, This is a great collaboration. Josie, the mix sounds great and the vocals are fabulous. Charlie the write is very good and holds up under this style change. Pat, nice understated guitar and cello. Perfectly executed and very tasteful. The vibe is dreamy and ethereal and just right for the song. Great arrangement. Josie you are on a roll! Your last few have been stellar. Tom

#271058 - 11/28/14 09:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
LOVE IT!! Everything works perfectly. I'm not sure I've heard the song before. Swirling BGs are hypnotic. Mandolin and cello work beautifully and the drums/solo guitar feel as if they were played just for this song. To me, I hear a lot of '66/'67 Beatles vibe. Very surreal. Amazing work all the way around!! Take care. Greg

#271059 - 11/28/14 09:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Josie,

What a beautiful song! It surely has an ethereal feel.
The guitar and cello are very good, your vocals are beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#271067 - 11/28/14 09:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

it hasn't been too long since Charlie posted this song. Here is the link to CHARLIE'S ORIGINAL POST

At the time, something about this song really appealed to me, and I couldn't stop listening to it. Who knows what it is about some songs that call out to us? I knew the mandolin created a mood that I liked... and for a good ol' boy in South Carolina to have written the song, I was awe struck by just how tender the words were. His arrangement was kind of sparse, which reinforced in my mind the image of a regular guy speaking out emotions that perhaps aren't a man's first estate.. so he picked up the nearest instrument and justified the heartfelt sonnet to chords... strummed very simply... with little embellishment.

Even Charlie's presentation was touching, because he never said the song was finished... he presented it as a work in process, and practically apologized for posting it!! What a humble, down to earth and genuine man!

Somewhere along the line, Josie and Charlie must have connected and talked about a remix of the song, because that's what Josie's post represents: her spin on Charlie's love song.

By the time I was asked to contribute, Josie had already added her sweet vocal track and harmonies... so I turned off the light in my studio, put the player on loop and listened over and over to get a feel for the mood of the song before even attempting to strike a note. What I heard in the dark seemed dream-like, given the sentiment of Charlie's lyrics mixed with Josie's absolutely beautiful voice. I really like what My two friends have done with this, and I hope that my contribution hasn't taken anything away from the simplicity of the song. I know Josie worked hard to preserve that quality.

When I look back on all the crap I sent Josie, then listen to what she did with it, I have to remark that her ear for what should stay and what should go is much better than mine. From my perspective, Everything she kept (and how she placed it in the mix) added to the dream-like aspect of the song.

Josie... I think your voice is breath-takingly beautiful in this song! So beautiful that I feel compelled to thank Charlie for handing the project over to you for completion. As we say here in NC: "ya done good, girl!" (Charlie, you done good too!)

And the interesting thing, if you listen to both versions, is that Josie had the sensibility to honor the original song by not making substantial changes to it... She just made what was there REALLY sweet!

I hope y'all like this song as much as I do.

#271087 - 11/28/14 11:21 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: tommyad]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Pat, nice understated guitar and cello. Perfectly executed and very tasteful. Tom

I'm smiling as I read what you've written here Tommy... because if you heard the whole OVERstated mess I sent Josie, you'd conclude I was a starving guitar player who expected to be paid by the note. It is to Josie's credit (and hers alone) that the song retained most of the airy and uncluttered quality she inherited from Charlie.

So, in spite of my best efforts to undermine the project with my ill-considered contributions, the unassailable quality of Charlie and Josie's teamwork won out in the end.

wink

#271088 - 11/28/14 11:40 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Tommy,

I appreciate that very much.

I love the RT's but having a real person play to get those extra touches was a real treat. Both Pat and Charlie were great to work with.

Thank you,

Josie

#271091 - 11/28/14 11:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Greg,

Thank you. I wanted to do Charlie's beautiful song proud. I'm so glad you liked it.

Josie

#271093 - 11/28/14 11:55 AM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Iowa
JPeden73 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I also really liked the mood on this one. Great vocals and playing as well. Nice way to enjoy the long weekend)) Thanks for posting.

-Jeff

#271146 - 11/28/14 02:55 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

So...wait.. Pat plays cello???? Who knew that? Geez! Nice!

Cool collaboration, guys! A beautiful sound. Such a flow...
Sweet vocals for a sweet song.

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd

#271157 - 11/28/14 03:29 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Pat Marr]
Loc: Helsinki, Finland
dani48 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Hi, Josie, Pat and Charlie !:))

I love both instrumentation,
playing and vocals and those
nice chords naturally ......!!!

This is a very nice tune
so beautifully performed !!!:))

Gracias por todo !!:))

Cheers
Dani

#271158 - 11/28/14 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Maryland
SpaceDog Offline
Expert

Loc: Maryland
Josie, Pat, Charlie,
What a great collab. Great song and a beautiful arrangement. Just superb.
SD

#271170 - 11/28/14 06:01 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: New York
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York
Josie / Charlie / Pat,

This is great - love everything about it. Great vibe and feel all around.

Bob

#271174 - 11/28/14 06:46 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: Sundance]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Everything that I wanted to say already has been said.

Josie your vocal is super on this one and Pat you guitar fantastic. Who know that you played the cello?

This is a keeper.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB and RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software and some hardware.

#271185 - 11/28/14 07:58 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: RnAM]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Josie,

What a beautiful song! It surely has an ethereal feel.
The guitar and cello are very good, your vocals are beautiful!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you Rob and Anne-Marie.

Josie

#271186 - 11/28/14 08:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: JPeden73]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Pat,

It was my pleasure working with you.

Josie

#271187 - 11/28/14 08:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: JPeden73]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JPeden73
I also really liked the mood on this one. Great vocals and playing as well. Nice way to enjoy the long weekend)) Thanks for posting.

-Jeff

Jeff, thank you very much.

Josie

#271188 - 11/28/14 08:08 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: floyd jane]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd

Floyd,

Pat played the cello on guitar with his guitar synth - I'm not an electric guitar player so I don't know about these things....blush

Thank you very much.

Josie

#271189 - 11/28/14 08:10 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: dani48]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie, Pat and Charlie !:))

I love both instrumentation,
playing and vocals and those
nice chords naturally ......!!!

This is a very nice tune
so beautifully performed !!!:))

Gracias por todo !!:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani,

Thank you, yeah I love those romantic chords.

Josie

#271190 - 11/28/14 08:15 PM [User Showcase] Re: From You To Me (Josie with Pat on Guitar) [Re: floyd jane]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: floyd jane

I wish!! the cello part was added via a guitar synth (Roland Gr-55)

Quote:

Tasty guitar.

A great listen.

floyd

Floyd, I really appreciate hearing such kind words from you. I agree that Josie and Charlie did a great job... but I'm not entirely comfortable being on the receiving end of forum comments, so I'm gonna step out of the way here. Josie and Charlie are both much more invested in this project than I am. I was so busy with other stuff that I cranked out a very quick & dirty mess, which Josie did a wonderful job of sanitizing. Thanks to you and everyone else who took the time to listen and offer comments (especially such kind ones!) This is an awesome forum full of people who are talented and gracious... and I appreciate every one of you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Review - Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows

Make sure to check out the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows review from Sound-Guy (Dennis) at www.gearslutz.com: click here.

Sound-Guy has been using Band-in-a-Box® for many, many, many, many, many years - and we still managed to surprise him with some great new features! Read his latest review to learn more about his favorite additions for 2020!

"Band-in-a-Box continues to evolve as an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to produce not only new compositions and arrangements, but also perform them with excellent musical “talent”. It also provides educational and training tools for keyboardists and guitarists. It’s easy to use the basic functions, and challenging enough to keep you occupied for years. BIAB provides education, inspiration, a “live” band to aid in practicing, and anything from backing tracks to full performances for recording."
-Sound-Guy, www.gearslutz.com

How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
32606 Members
68 Forums
65526 Topics
555570 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
SwingBand, Gretsch6120SH, momoko12, LeadLady, damefame76