You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#271392 - 11/30/14 02:10 AM [User Showcase] 1953
Loc: wales
gibson Offline
Veteran

At college, in the early '70's the boys and I wasted most weekend afternoons in summer walking down Oxford Street or Kings Road, London, trying to be cool and connect with chicks *peace and love sign". One had remarkable, and impressive success, of a second date. Then nearly 40 years later I saw the old toerag being interviewed on TV for some reason, which reminded me of those days. Then soon after I was watching a medical documentary TV program when the professor, mentioned in the song, said what he said and this developed from there, poem first.

rockstar_not, Scott, gave the heads up for the free VSTi PLEX2. and this appeared. Thanks Scott!

there's nothing so sweet as when you're walking down a city street and you see that girl walk by,
the girl that somehow someway caught your eye
the smell of her perfume fills your mind and takes over every living thought in that day
and you don't know why.
well a professor on the TV said that there are smell receptors in the front of our brain that govern our actions when we fall in love
err?
ha! so its got nothing to do with her big brown eyes and that to you she is the prettiest, prettiest girl you've ever seen
*sigh*

tonight i'll sit alone and wait for you
tonight we both should go to sleep, to dream
our minds as one should make some sense of it all, maybe
and then we could change who's happening in our lives.

you got that look baby looking at your face, you got something that I want it, it's a funky little boat race
time's bin kind to you, more than I can say for me but that's another story cos I'm talking about you
you take my breath away in more ways than one ooh and if you talked to me well I'd have a number too many people running out my life in this day and age and its making me so mad
something gotta go right
cos something's happened tonight
I can't be alone in thinking that this at last may be right
maybe I'm outa my mind but we should be together, always be together insane in our natural serotonin dreams.

so next day you are there at the same time, gotta be the same place, and you hope that she will turn up and look for you just as you are looking for her
if it was in black and white it would be like an old movie in your mind and you are Burt Lancaster she is Deborah Kerr in "From here to eternity"
on THAT beach in 1953

no matter what you are thinking its a marvelous thing
when its tripping away out of control
and running on steam, just running on empty running on the smells in the air that you can breathe and she can breathe
just the two of you
ahh there she is
"Hi"
"My name is Al"

****** Song Summary *************
Style MIDI Instruments are : Acoustic Guitar (26), Strings (49),
RealTracks in song: ~713:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 085 (B:energetic)
RealTracks in song: 921:Bass, Acoustic, Bossa Ev 110
RealTracks in song: 1175:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm PopCalypso Ev 100
RealTracks in song: 1903:Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm Bolero Ev 090
RealTracks in song: 2334:String Quartet, Rhythm PopChamber Ev 085
RealDrums in Song: NashPopBallad^01-a:SideStick, Partially Closed HiHat , b:Snare, Partially Closed HiHat

I used the BIAB Chord track and the arpeggiator in Cubase for the synths. Using PLEX2, EMU Proteus and FM7.
A bit of me on keyboard and guitar
and a bongo loop from ACID.

enjoy

Alyn

#271408 - 11/30/14 04:46 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
sixchannel Online   content
Expert

Loc: WEST MIDLANDS, UK
Hi Alyn (semi-detached, suburban?)
Loved it.
Very Richard Burton vocal tone to the prose - perfect delivery.
And a neat little hooky chorus.
Twas just the same in the 60's - the present Mrs Sixchannel was just a Saturday Dance "pick up" some 48 years ago.
Well done
Ian

BB2019Plus,604,RB2,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

http://app.box.com/s/p7lirbbuvjae03dsd4v5

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel

#271455 - 11/30/14 07:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
WOW, Alyn! This one totally blew me away! There is so much that I like about it!

First of all, I'm curious to know if you listen to any K-POP (Korean pop music) because this song is a perfect match for that genre (except your lyrics are in English). Todays Korean TV shows are full of songs very much like this, with orchestral backings but spoken rap-like lyrics. (CLICK FOR AN EXAMPLE) I really LIKE that presentation style.

Anyway, I thought your setup to the song was very interesting... until I heard the song I didn't quite get the full impact of what you were saying, but afterwards I thought I would have missed a lot about the song if you hadn't set it up first.

Regarding your delivery: Man, I thought it was absolutely AWESOME the way you drew me in with the short banter-like notes, including the sighs and almost subliminal comments.

In songs like this (with spoken lyrics) the cadence of the words becomes very important... that makes word selection critical because you can't have a two syllable word where you have one syllable of cadence remaining. In my opinion, your lyrics worked VERY well cadence-wise. And they worked equally well in terms of saying what you had to say. Its not easy to pull off both goals at the same time, but you did.

I have more to say, but my memory is short, so I'll have to save this reply, and go back to listen some more before I edit the reply with new thoughts.... but GOOD JOB! This one really got my attention, and I like it a lot!

here is a better example of a K-pop CLICK ME
The point I'm trying to make is the interesting combination of rapped lyrics and a highly orchestrated backing track... which is exactly what you did in this song

#271456 - 11/30/14 07:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Alyn. I think this is a brilliant write and production! My favorite of yours so far. You've done a really good job in blending the music, narrative and singing. Love the choice of instruments. I think the Richard Burton comparison is a nice fit for this song because I can easily imagine him performing this very tune. Very, very much enjoyed.

Charlie

#271488 - 11/30/14 08:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: sixchannel]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Ian,

Semi- detached and suburban...definitely. a Brilliant song by the Manfreds.

Thanks for the Richard Burton mention, amazingly he was born 3 miles from where I live now. He had a wonderful speaking voice, and singing!! cos I strolled in my local pub round about that time in the 70's and there he was in full swing, beers a flowing and in the corner was Elizabeth Taylor in a similar state apparently. I was then thrown out LOL

Thanks for listening
SO glad you like it

Alyn
ps "Broadsword calling Danny boy" laugh

#271489 - 11/30/14 08:52 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Alyn, I love this. The narrative sits perfectly in the rhythm . Really creative putting a Rap on top of those Bossa real tracks. Very cool. One of my recent favorites. Great Stuff! Tom

#271491 - 11/30/14 09:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: Pat Marr]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Pat,

I haven't listened to K-POP, but am as I type this bit!! wow he speaks fast.I shall listen to more later.

I had to setup the song as otherwise it makes no sense to anyone but me.
I did not change the initial words a lot as they just flowed, I threw a lot out but when the rhythm of the VSTi (PLEX2) appeared via the chord track it suddenly all gelled together. And the last verse suddenly appeared to end the song.

Thanks for listening. Your comments to songs are ALWAYS worth a good read as you show something special in your remarks.
Your knowledge and intelligence shines through cool laugh

Alyn

#271492 - 11/30/14 09:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: Charlie Fogle]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Charlie,

As I said to Ian (sixchannel) I come from the same part of Wales as he did and am humbled by the comparison, I enjoyed his films and narrative (War of the Worlds") immensely.

So glad you enjoyed

Alyn

#271494 - 11/30/14 09:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: tommyad]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Hi Tom,

It took a while to find the bossa rhythm as it started with a 6 string strum RT and that overpowered the words.
The thing, I think, that helped the flow was the rhythm of the VSTi Plex2, it seemed to give my voice wings LOL

Thanks for listening

Alyn

#271520 - 11/30/14 10:11 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
Very creative and interesting, as is always the case with you Alyn!! There's an element of rap but softer and more poetic, and more vulnerable. There's a vibe created where the listener is sharing in the character's fantasy, almost as would occur with watching a film. There's a stream of consciousness element that's quite hypnotizing. A very enjoyable listen. Your creativity is boundless!! Take care. Greg

#271530 - 11/30/14 10:43 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: Greg Johnson]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Quote:
There's a vibe created where the listener is sharing in the character's fantasy, almost as would occur with watching a film.

Wow I never thought of that and in my last post, Damn me, I even wrote "I paint a picture with words in my mind again"

I have always wanted to rap ever since I heard Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill gang in 1979. But there was always a consonant in front making it more descriptive. blush

I keep re-reading your post and go "me???"

Thank you so much listening and more so for your wonderful post.

So glad you dropped in !!

Alyn

#271589 - 11/30/14 01:19 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Alyn,

Spectacular!

Awesome!

Creative!

Ear worm. Captivating. Visual. Olfactory. Thoughtful. Thought-provoking.

Deligthful.

I am a fan.

floyd

#271757 - 12/01/14 09:25 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Alyn,

very nice. Great arrangement.
I like your rapping style.
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

#271772 - 12/01/14 10:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: Greg Johnson]
olemon Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
There's an element of rap but softer and more poetic, and more vulnerable. There's a vibe created where the listener is sharing in the character's fantasy, almost as would occur with watching a film.

Greg nailed it. Very creative, and the variations in your delivery of the story, the timing, the singing, the reading, really make this interesting. The musical tracks complement very well, a superb production all around:)
https://soundcloud.com/scott-h-olson

#271803 - 12/01/14 12:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: olemon]
Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Don Gaynor Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
I really enjoyed this. The totally unrelated thought it brought to the foreground...we are all on the same path but at different times.

And...Bill Gates' greatest claim to fame in college was his uncanny ability to jump out of a big galvanized trashcan without touching the sides nor knocking it over. More news you can't use.

#271888 - 12/02/14 02:42 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: floyd jane]
gibson Offline
Veteran

floyd,

Thank you. A man of few words and each one a delight to read!

Thank you so much, I am humbled by your praise.

Alyn

#271889 - 12/02/14 02:44 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: boehm]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Guenter,

Thank you so much, glad you enjoyed the rap!

Alyn

#271890 - 12/02/14 02:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: olemon]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Scott,

Thanks for listening and your nice comments. I am glad you enjoyed my old man rap and my memories of some good times.

I look forward to your next song. laugh

Alyn

#271891 - 12/02/14 02:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
gibson Offline
Veteran

Don

Quote:
we are all on the same path but at different times.

How true!

What a wonderful forum this is as most of us would never have met, not because of the distances but because our music is so varied. What a great programme BIAB is!!!

Thanks for commenting!!!

ALl the best for your album!

Alyn

#271918 - 12/02/14 06:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: 1953 [Re: gibson]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
Sheesh, man, is this forum ever on a creative streak!

The spoken word in music has never particularly captivated
us but, wow, you nailed it. The timbre of your voice,
the accent, the "island backing," all work together
wonderfully to capture the mood.

PG Music oughta be tremendously pleased with
efforts like this -- ones that so well showcase the
power of their products.

Congrats!!

J&B
J&B Website

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows - Choosing to Run 64-bit or 32-bit

We heard you! With the release of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows we've included the BRAND NEW 64-bit version of Band-in-a-Box®, which works well with the latest plugins and 64-bit OS features! Because not everyone has a 64-bit computer, we include both the 64-bit and 32-bit versions with your purchase - you choose which one to use!

By default, when you install your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows the 32-bit version will run.

The steps to run the 64-bit version are simple! Just head to your "bb" folder and choose the "bbw64" icon - you'll notice that the Band-in-a-Box® "splash screen" will state "64-bit" as the program opens.
(and if you open the 32-bit version, the "splash screen" will state "32-bit")

Still not certain which version you're running? Within the program, go to Help | About Band-in-a-Box - it'll either state:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
64 bit application

or:

Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2019 (604)
<--- the number in brackets is the build number - this will change as new patch updates are released
32 bit application

We hope everyone who can is enjoying their Band-in-a-Box® 2019 64-bit version for Windows!

NEW! Style-style-style Additions and Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

With over 64 new features and enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019, we've made sure to add to, enhance, and update some of the Style features within the program: StylePicker, StyleMaker, and Song Titles browser within the StylePicker!

StylePicker Enhancements:
-If the style list needs rebuild, it tells you that within the StylePicker, instead of a message that requires a response.
-The rebuild is faster than before by 75%. It takes 1/4 of the time now.
-While the style list is being rebuilt, you can see the progress inside the StylePicker.
-The style list can be filtered by a specific RealTracks/RealDrums/MIDI SuperTracks or RealTracks/MIDI SuperTracks in a certain number range.
-You can filter the style list by a specific Xtra Styles PAK.
-The dialog to select an Xtra Styles PAK has a button to take you to the PG Music website that shows information about Xtra Styles PAKs.
-The StylePicker can list all styles (including N/A styles) in the default display.
-The Set number display is improved, including sort by type and Xtra styles.

StyleMaker Improvements:

-The new MIDI velocity offset allows you to make styles with altered loudness for MIDI tracks.
-Styles can be saved with information like a memo, examples, genres, and more, which will be displayed in the StylePicker.
-You can import information from another style. This is useful when you are making a similar style.
-A style can have a huge number of RealTracks (up to 70!) because the StyleMaker now supports RealTracks multi/medley feature, which allows a single track to have up to 10 simultaneous playing of RealTracks.

Song Titles Browser Enhancement

-We’ve added 300 more song titles including requests from users, so there are now over 10,600 titles.
-The chord density filter is available, and it’s also displayed in the memo.
-The chord complexity filter is available.

Review all the new features of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 here.

NEW! Traditional Celtic Tunes with Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you can add the 49-PAK to your order for just $49!

Among the great Add-ons included in the 49-PAK is our Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly, which includes 18 traditional Celtic tunes! You'll find beautifully performed songs like Boys of Bluehill, The Cliffs of Moher, Harvest Home, Rolling in the Rye Glass, and more!

The Celtic RealTracks backing up performances by Geoff Kelly sound amazing, and so do the duets with previous Artist Performance musician Daniel Lapp (on fiddle)! Listen to all the demos for these Artists Performances near the bottom of our Bonus PAKs page, here.

Here's a taste: Demo: Rolling in the Rye Grass

The Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Bonus PAKs!

Purchase Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows during our special (which ends December 31st), and you'll receive a FREE Bonus PAK overflowing with great Add-ons, including MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses with 6 MIDI SuperTracks, 21 RealDrums Transcriptions, 120 guitar licks and riffs in Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks, and 15 new MIDI Styles!

Or, upgrade it to the 49-PAK for just $49 and you'll add 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, 10 "Low Man" & Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks, 6 more MIDI SuperTracks with Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion, 120 more guitar licks and riffs with Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks, 15 more MIDI Styles, and Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly!

Watch the video highlighting our 49-PAK here, or listen to demos and learn more here.

Free Bonus PAK Contents:
-Look Ma! More MIDI 1
-21 RealDrums Transcriptions
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 28: Pop Basses
-Instrumental Studies 7: Brent Mason 12-key CountryPop Guitar Licks

2019 49-PAK Contents:
-40 Bonus RealTracks!
-10 "Low Man" and Re-amped "12-Key" Metal/Thrash Electric Guitar RealTracks
-Artist Performance Set 9: Celtic Flute with Geoff Kelly
-Instrumental Studies 8: Brent Mason 12-key Train-Beat Licks
-Look Ma! More MIDI 2
-MIDI SuperTracks Set 29: More Organ, Piano & Accordion

Video - Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes!

Get to know the new Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows with our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 - Everything You Need to Know in Under 6 Minutes! video: Click here to watch...

RealBand 2019 is Here!

We've added over 30 new features to RealBand 2019, including Notation Window enhancements, Tracks Window enhancements, StylePicker enhancements - and more! Learn all about this new version here.

Snag your copy of RealBand 2019 with your Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase - upgrades on SALE until December 31st - save up to 40%! View all Band-in-a-Box® for Windows purchase options here.

Forum Stats
28397 Members
58 Forums
55123 Topics
458965 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RexBagonia, DTman, leggy, Michaeljones, prian

28397 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 322
Pipeline 315