Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
There are a lot of RealTracks in this song.
(They, of course, don't all play at once smile )

This had to have Pedal Steel.
None of the RTs fit right.
So I asked Tom if he would want to add steel to this.
I'm pleased to say that he graciously agreed.
(I know it is a hassle for him to set up for this, but I think it may have lit a fire under him...a good thing...)

I also asked Janice to add some harmonies.
It just wouldn't be the same without J&B!

SO... the Band...

Tom Adams - pedal steel
Janice Merritt - harmonies
I played an acoustic guitar track

RealDrums in Song: NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat
RealTracks in song: ~518:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~2051:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~365:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 085
RealTracks in style: ~~362:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 085

MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2066:Piano, Rhythm NewAgeAnswers Ev16 110
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2254:Piano, Rhythm CountryBalladJohn Ev 120

RealTracks in song: ~~409:Fiddle, Background George Ev 085
RealTracks in song: 1877 Fiddle, Soloist CountryRob Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 659:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm TexasRockChop Ev 120 (B:8ths)
RealTracks in song: 836:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm AltCountryRootsy Ev 075 (A:muted)
RealTracks in song: 861:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockWaltzSustainHeld Ev 140

REAL LIVE COWBOY

a weathered man with one closed eye from squinting at a western sun
a rodeo buckle, a buckskin shirt undone
his jeans were always worn and faded, but for where a gun might cling
this was no t.v. hero, he was the real thing

he was a real live cowboy
there aren't too many more
i'd ask him what it's like to ride the range
he said "son, you get saddle-sore
but you don't do things that aren't your way
it's honest work for honest pay"

he taught me how to break a horse, he taught me how to ride
we spent a week branding herd out on a mountainside
then one day he rolled his bed and said "i must move on"
a cowboy's free, cause he has to be
i watched him ride into the sun

i'd ask him what it's like to ride the range
   he said "son, you get saddle-sore
   it's honest work for honest pay"

he came back through town the other day
he looked at me with one closed eye
he seemed to approve of the man i'd become
and how i fit against that western sky

i'm a real live cowboy
   we aren't too many more
   i know what it's like to ride the range
   man, you get saddle-sore
   it's honest work for honest pay
   i'm a real live cowboy
   we aren't too many more

i'm a real live cowboy
   i thank god i knew at least one more.

Hope you enjoy it.
Comments encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

SUPER BIG THANKS to Tom, Janice and Bud!!!!

floyd

(just in case: http://floydjane.com/Songs/RLC.htm )

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
1) Y'all have an all-star band going here! I think you should seriously consider replacing the phony band lineup on your web page with the real band. If nothing else, out of respect for the real talent that has joined together for so many successful productions, and because people naturally want to know who played that awesome pedal steel and sang those amazing female vocals.

2) I have to run off to a lunch date with my niece, but I'm posting this as a place holder. I'll flesh out a review shortly... but my initial thoughts are ... secret until I get back. ;-)

-------------
sorry for the long delay.. got distracted by other things...(Floyd, you can probably guess what)

OK, regarding link to the old phony band, there is still one functioning link on your CONTACT page: HERE

back to the song...

Floyd, this song is "Classic FJ"... radio ready and mixed beautifully. I listened with headphones, and the spread was just off center enough to be interesting and separated, but not so extreme as to sound overdone.

Your image painting in this song is (IMHO) some of the best you've brought to the forum. Your descriptions not only evoke very graphic and unique visuals, but even more importantly, your way with words lets you do it without sacrificing any of the elements of style that make lyrics great. Upshot is that these lyrics excel on multiple levels at once. It would be impressive if it were the occasional accident that some of us experience through sheer luck... but I know that you are fully conscious of your craft... how to change this in order to accomplish that... and therein lies the real magic in your productions. yes, they consistently sound good, they are consistently mixed perfectly, they are consistently accompanied by the best of the best collaborators... but the fact that you know how to repeat the phenomenon time after time is the deal.

I thought the piano perfected the mood you crafted for this song. Rich mentioned that the piano changed it from being a "real cowboy" kind of song from his perspective... but there are a bunch of different ways you could have ridden to the topic, and you seem to have taken the scenic route. The combination of the piano and the pedal steel gave it a wistful feel that works well with the idea of being the last of a dying breed. To me the piano recreated a similar mood that was achieved by Michael Murphy in the song WILDFIRE

The transition from 3rd person to first person was a great way to wrap up the story after the changeup in the middle. It left me thinking. "yeah.. that's a good resolution to the story.. he's not the last after all.. the story lives on in the 1st person character. "

When Tommy's pedal steel swelled into the mix... and I mean every single time... I got chills up my back! It's kind of scary to turn the reins over to a collaborator, because you relinquish a bit of control. But I'd guess that by now you trust Tommy and Janice completely to send you something that can be used with very little change.

I like the change in style when "he came back into town the other day". It is easy to miss the opportunity to change things up in the middle, but this really accented the fact that you were introducing a change in the flow of the story, not just in the flow of the chords.

My hat is off to the "REAL" band that consistently cranks out hits on radio WPGM!

Last edited by Pat Marr; 12/07/14 12:00 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

This is a really good song in every way!
Tom's pedal steel is wonderful, your vocals are great and so are Janice's harmonies (as always).

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd, Tom & Janice & Bud !:))

Merry Christmas to all of you !!!:))
I am out of superlatives for these
pro tunes pro made ! Well, you know
that you set the standards for professionality
on this forum and that is good as
I think it does affect most of us others
trying to become better, though, like
me never becoming a pro ! (LOL) !
It goes without saying that this is
the result of yet another wonderful co-op
by all of you !:))

Cheers
Dani

Last edited by dani48; 12/05/14 09:14 AM.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Great tune!! Some amazing imagery, perfect furniture, and the great craftsmanship which is the hallmark of a FJ song. Sentiment reminds me a lot of Alan Shamblin's He Walked on Water, and the story is just as well told. Really excellent work! I feel like the vocal is even better than your usual great stuff. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, Tom and Janice,

What a song.
What a band.
The lyrics painted a picture of the cowboy and they made me remember the pain of being saddle sore as I did a lot of riding hire horses a decade or more ago, plus a lot of falling off cry
I liked the slow down at the end with Tom saying goodbye.

Good choice of RTs (I like 861 myself but my songs don't sound so professional!)
The mix was excellent, the harmonies almost subliminal but beautiful.
Same for Tom's steel, it fitted perfectly.

You have a great band with Tom, Janice and Bud and your vocals are just what the doctor ordered for country music.

Well done

enjoyed tremendously

Alyn

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
In my excitement over the song, I forgot to give kudos to the band. Tommy is a wizard with the pedal steel as with the standard electric, and Janice is the MVV (most valuable vocalist) on the forum. They added a fine polish to a great product. Congrats all!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Well Floyd,
This beautiful song takes me to your great western country.
The band "out of a box" adds to the live feel of a song that is well written, I believed it.
To me, the real live cowboy is you!
Grtz.
Fred

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ahem...

Hi Floyd. I think the song and vocals are magnificent and like the steel and the fiddle.
The backing a big screen major production. Beautifully done but is this what the song is about?

'this was no t.v. hero, he was the real thing'

I feel the subject matter of the song would lead to a more simple (cowboy) type backing.
More a home on the range kind of thing.
To me this arrangement makes him sound like an 'Oklahoma' musical or movie type cowboy.

Hesitantly but constructively offered opinion. Cheers.

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
A great story bringing wild west images to us. Good write, mix and production from you guys. I'm really enjoying all of the collaboration seen recently here on the forum. I'm glad Tom has broken out that pedal steel. As good as the RT's are, his steel fills a void. Wouldn't it be great if he created some pedal steel user tracks to share.....
Can't ride off into the sunset without a wink towards the sharpshooters, Floyd, Janice and Bud.

Enjoyed this one from start to finish.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, Janice and Tommy - I just don't know how you do it so consistently. Just absolutely wonderful in everyway. As has been mentioned your work certainly sets a standard here. Love the harmonies and pedal steel. Well done team!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd, Janice and Tom,
Originally Posted By: R & AM

this is a really good song in every way!
Tom's pedal steel is wonderful, your vocals are great and so are Janice's harmonies (as always).

Sweet tune and wonderful story. Congratulations on this
beautiful collaberation.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Floyd, Janice & Tom,

Another winner! Loved everything about it.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My favorite part of this is your vocal especially on "he looked at me with one closed eye". Cool inflection. Love the sweet sounding steel. Nice harmonies. Very pretty weaving of the instruments in your arrangement. I might have a bit less out front piano starting in that second chorus but subjective - I realize there's lots going there for the build.

Solid definitively FJ writing and production style. Painted a cool picture. (Except for those painful saddle sores LOL! I rode a lot in my teens - ouch.)

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd, Tom & Janice ...

What a great song! And the performance was equally wonderful. It was a real nice blend of the Tom's pedal steel with the fiddle. And as always, your vocal shines. This is a great collab and with Janice's vocal harmony, it "Merrits" every possible accolade! great stuff, for sure!

back in 2008, I wrote a poem called "The Last True Cowboy". As you might know, I'm a novelist and write a poetry. If you're interested, here's a link to it.

http://www.thenextbigwriter.com/posting/sideman/the-last-true-cowboy-11802

It's totally different than your song but expresses some similar thoughts.

Again, this is a fabulous song and production. Any time I click onto anything with your name on it, I know I'm going to be thoroughly entertained ... and I was! Di is napping but want me to pass on her greetings, too. best to you ...

Alan & Di

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent tune. Kudos to all involved. Like a said in the past posts.These collaborations are simply awesome. Merry Xmas to you and your band :-)

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
1) Y'all have an all-star band going here! I think you should seriously consider replacing the phony band lineup on your web page with the real band. If nothing else, out of respect for the real talent that has joined together for so many successful productions, and because people naturally want to know who played that awesome pedal steel and sang those amazing female vocals.

2) I have to run off to a lunch date with my niece, but I'm posting this as a place holder. I'll flesh out a review shortly... but my initial thoughts are ... secret until I get back. ;-)

Well.. that has turned out to be a long lunch... but that's okay... family is all that really maters... I thought I had eliminated all the links to the old fake band...

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Floyd,

This is a really good song in every way!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys... appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Floyd, Tom & Janice & Bud !:))

Merry Christmas to all of you !!!:))
I am out of superlatives for these
pro tunes pro made ! Well, you know
that you set the standards for professionality
on this forum and that is good as
I think it does affect most of us others
trying to become better, though, like
me never becoming a pro ! (LOL) !
It goes without saying that this is
the result of yet another wonderful co-op
by all of you !:))

Cheers
Dani

Dani - you are always so very kind with your remarks...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another good one guys. Love that Fakahatchee Tom pedal steel.

Regards,

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I wanted to check in and say how grateful I am to floyd for asking me to play on this one. He graciously waited several months until I got around to it. I loved this song from the first time I heard it. I believe the imagery is some of the best of any song he has posted. This one takes you right out west. For those wondering Bob's post alludes to my former band Fakahatchee. Thanks to all that have commented on my playing and I hope everyone enjoys this song as much as I do. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Great tune!! Some amazing imagery, perfect furniture, and the great craftsmanship which is the hallmark of a FJ song. Sentiment reminds me a lot of Alan Shamblin's He Walked on Water, and the story is just as well told. Really excellent work! I feel like the vocal is even better than your usual great stuff. Take care. Greg

Thanks, Greg... always pleased by your notice of the craft..And to be mentioned in the same breath as Shamblin is humbling...

Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd, Tom and Janice,

What a song.
What a band.
The lyrics painted a picture of the cowboy and they made me remember the pain of being saddle sore as I did a lot of riding hire horses a decade or more ago, plus a lot of falling off cry
I liked the slow down at the end with Tom saying goodbye.

Good choice of RTs (I like 861 myself but my songs don't sound so professional!)
The mix was excellent, the harmonies almost subliminal but beautiful.
Same for Tom's steel, it fitted perfectly.

You have a great band with Tom, Janice and Bud and your vocals are just what the doctor ordered for country music.

Well done

enjoyed tremendously

Alyn

Thanks, Alyn... always nice when an ex-cowboy likes one of my cowboy songs!! smile And thanks on behalf of the band...

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
In my excitement over the song, I forgot to give kudos to the band. Tommy is a wizard with the pedal steel as with the standard electric, and Janice is the MVV (most valuable vocalist) on the forum. They added a fine polish to a great product. Congrats all!! Take care. Greg

The band thanks you... "...and we hope we passed the audition..."

Originally Posted By: FredM
Well Floyd,
This beautiful song takes me to your great western country.
The band "out of a box" adds to the live feel of a song that is well written, I believed it.
To me, the real live cowboy is you!
Grtz.
Fred

Fred - appreciate you dropping by for a listen...

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195