Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
MJames Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I purchased BIAB upgrade 2014 last year. I have been using BIAB since it was on floppy disks and I have upgraded every year or every couple of years since then.
I have decided I will never purchase another upgrade of BIAB until it is 64 bit. This should have been done a long time ago. When I saw the 64 Bit VST bridge thing in BIAB 2015. I said to myself, enough is enough. BIAB is not an inexpensive piece of software it should have been 64 bit a long time ago.
I know, some of you are going to defend pgmusic and say you really don't need it. But you're wrong. Especially in light of the VST 64 bit bridge software. More of the program could run in memory ect... 64 bit cpu's have been out for over a decade. I think it's time to make the switch to 64 bit pgmusic.
mj

[Edited]
I want to be clear about something. I think BIAB is a wonderful program. At this point (2014 Version) BIAB does all I need it to do. It is great software, and I am glad I own it. I use it almost everyday.
The point of my post is that, I am very satisfied with BIAB as a product and the only thing that would tempt me to update is a 64 bit version of the program.

I remember back in the day when I could upgrade BIAB for $39.95 (or something like that?) and there was no copy protection key stuff. With that business model I put no expectations on pgmusic. But today, things have changed. With the higher prices of the software and all the copy protection stuff I guess I have raised my expectations a bit.

Last edited by MJames; 12/09/14 09:02 AM. Reason: Added Comments
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: MJames
.........When I saw the 64 Bit VST bridge thing in BIAB 2015. I said to myself, enough is enough. BIAB is not an inexpensive piece of software it should have been 64 bit a long time ago.
I know, some of you are going to defend pgmusic and say you really don't need it. But you're wrong. Especially in light of the VST 64 bit bridge software. More of the program could run in memory ect... 64 bit cpu's have been out for over a decade. I think it's time to make the switch to 64 bit pgmusic.
mj

Fully agree .... and especially counting all the dough i paid up since Atari days. I run a 64bit system for over 3 years now, and BTW own a licensed Jbridge already ..... there's something serious missing with this 2015 update. Also to think that BIAB still is not able to sync in slave mode to f.i. cubase causes a lot of extra time for up and down transfers of generated wav files when composing stuff. - F

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
))) More of the program could run in memory etcetera

The program already runs 100% in memory, that wouldn't change in 64 bit.

What is the "etcetera" reason you are referring to. The only reason I know of is to support 64 bit plugins, and BB 2015 now does that with jbridge.

Of course you don't need to tell us a reason, but people like me looking for reasons to make BIaB 64 bit someday, would like to see a reason more than "etcetera" . Many people don't understand what a 64 bit OS is, and when they see etcetera listed as a reason, they think that there are lots of important reasons.

BiaB 2015
- runs on 32 bit and 64 bit OS. If it was 64 bit, this would be 64 bit only.
- supports both 32 bit and 64 bit plugins
-64 bit programs have to use 64 bit implementations of hosts, plugins, drivers etc., and these are rather new, and typically not as stable and mature as the 32 bit ones. This same point is made by Ableton on their discussion of the issue. https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Expert
Expert
Thanks Peter for your clarification !And I understand your point of view.

Reach for excellence
Veteran
Veteran
One mans meat -- etc.
Go to 64 bit and keep MJames as a customer but lose me??
I'm not about to change my XP based PC any time soon - too many "old" programs that work perfectly and won't on Win8.
Peter, no matter what you do, you won't please all of the people all of the time.
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Thanks Peter and for the link to explain.
+1 to you.
-1 to those who complain without the full facts.
Hope everyone takes the time to read Ableton write up.

Cheers

Veteran
Veteran
Peter,

FINALLY, I'm glad to see you jump in here on this.

I am not as hard over as either Sixchannel on the 32 bit side (but like him I have some of the same HW/SW issues - that's why my desktop is still dual boot from separate HD's Win 7/Win XP with a Win XP VM plus keep running my WIN XP laptop), or, clearly, as much as MJames on the 64 bit side.

You won't lose me as customer either way, but I am just one vote.

Frankly I have yet to NEED 64 bit or have a work stoppage in BIAB, RB, PT (or Sonar X3 Pro - I've only installed the 32 bit version) due to inability to run 64 bit APPS.

So, I won't jump on the "64-bit or death" bandwagon (but then I still shoot cap&ball black powder muzzle loaders, as well as that newfangled smokeless stuff like .338 Lapua)

BIAB/RB/PT is not perfect no single app is or that app would have already cornered the ENTIRE music making/production market.

I really think with all the yap, yap, yap last few years about 64 bit BIAB what they REALLY want is the DAW portion (RB and/or it's parent PT) to be 64 bit, but in PG's case I guess it's "in for a penny in for a pound."

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/08/14 07:00 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Apprentice
Apprentice
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, and most people on this forum are far more technically and musically sophisticated than me, but my humble opinion based on my own needs and abilities is that I am very fortunate to have this program, and each year I jump sight unseen at the chance to get whatever extra icing on the cake is offered. I run 64-bit applications like Sonar Producer X3e and SampleTank 3 on a power system, and I'm able to do what I need to with what BIAB presently provides. I can ask/"wish" for things, but I would never not upgrade.

www.LawTunes.com: The LawTunes - The Musical Scales of Justice - Original Lawyer Rock & Roll
www.SurfChords.com: The SurfChords - The Endless Summer Continues and The Wave Never Ends
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: soolan
Hope everyone takes the time to read Ableton write up.
Cheers

I read it. Bottom line; Live provides both the 64-bit version of Live for machines with a 64-bit operating system and a 32-bit version of Live for the 32-bit operating system. As does Reaper and many other music apps. Just sayin...

Expert
Expert
+I for 64bit, it is the 21st century now.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
I have no issue with asking for 64 bit, and you/we can all vote with our Dollars/Pounds/Euros/Pesos/New Taiwan Dollars,...and I hope next year you all see, at a minimum, a 64 bit version of RB (and PT).

But sorry the "21st century" thing is not an argument, in fact it is an non sequitur, it is as logically consistent as saying that "it snows somewhere in December so get moving on 64 bit." grin

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 12/08/14 09:28 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Journeyman
Journeyman
We are living in the 21st century and XP is dead now and needs upgrading for MANY reasons! I've been servicing XP since it came out.

I recommend Windows 7 over Windows 8 and it is still available to buy.

Regarding 64 vs 32bit. The fact that its only a memory issue, what is the big deal here? You can see from my computer spec listed below that mine is a Hi End PC yet I have no problems at all. So whats the big deal with 32bit BIAB?? Storm in a teacup comes to mind.

Journeyman
Journeyman
I'd like Sizeable/Movable/hideable toolbars
32bit or 64bit either way is fine smile

WIN 10, BIAB WIN2022, Studio One 5, Audient iD4
Veteran
Veteran
Actually, Win XP was not released UNTIL this the 21st Century! (August 24, 2001)

S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Hope people take the time to read this:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/
Repeating what Peter wrote earlier.
PS: -1 for 64, staying with 32.
Cheers

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Larry Kehl
Actually, Win XP was not released UNTIL this the 21st Century! (August 24, 2001)

Your right about that Larry of course, what I mean, watching my p's and q's is that this is the 21st century, 13 years since 64 bit,. Now there is Android, tablets, phones, touch sensitivity and a whole lot more slick a feel to a program of this price.

The program needs a reconceptualization and a rewrite, there needs to be a sixty four bit and a 32 bit edition. I really want it to succeed and I don't think doggedly hanging on to 32 bit architecture, some of it built decades ago, is going to do PG's future any favours.

Yes, your old trousers will do, they have got a lot of life in them yet, your familiar with them even comfortable in them with all their quirks and funny buttons, but would you go out and buy old trousers?

If there were competition I don't think PG would be thinking this way- ah well...

Z

Last edited by ZeroZero; 12/08/14 11:06 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: PaulH
We are living in the 21st century and XP is dead now and needs upgrading for MANY reasons! I've been servicing XP since it came out.

I recommend Windows 7 over Windows 8 and it is still available to buy.

Trouble is, of course, to dump my XP I would have to buy all new softwares (recording for instance) that cost good money on Day 1, work perfectly, give me what I need. All that starts to look like another Money Pit, especially as one can't trust Microsoft to put out a system that isnt riddled with issues.
Maybe some Clever Soul can come up with an Emulator (is that the right word?) so I could use my beloved old Progs on WinWhatever.
And I just wonder what the End Of Support Date is for Win7. There will be one.
Ian

Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!
BB2023 ULTRA, 1013, Win 7 and 10

ALL TRACKS - https://app.box.com/s/501rnzrbadng1elvi45hbf7y08kl5oxp
SOUNDCLOUD-tracks using BB-
http://soundcloud.com/sixchannel
Videos-
https://youtube.com/user/Sixchannel1
Veteran
Veteran
Z

Don't get frustrated, I'm sure PG is looking at this from a sound business perspective and that ALWAYS includes satisfying as many customers as possible, irrespective of OWS propaganda about business!

But as you so rightly pointed out, at least for the BIAB portion: there is NO COMPETITION. And frankly and factually, there is no real burning need for 64 bit for BIAB. Yes, nice to have and maybe even lead to a few less hic cups here and there.

It could much more easily be argued that RB and PT will soon need to be 64-bit for the ever increasing complex productions and/or multiple memory heavy synths & FX - if they want to keep that business, but even Apple Logic and Pro Tools HAVE LIMITs!

Also If/when (?) PG wanted to expand BIAB to a full 16, or 32, or 64 and beyond "band" instrument set then they WOULD need to go 64 bit, memory alone would clearly become an issue otherwise.

Sixchannel

You are so right at some point WIN 7/8 (and their offspring) will have an end of life support date and this will start all over again.

Every time there has been a major change (DOS to Win 3 to Win 95/98 (not so much) to Win XP (a lot) to WIN 7/8 (modest cost hits) has been a freaking money pit of new HW and SW - not to mention the wasted time reinstalling, reconfiguring, re-learning, and re-hacking to get work arounds for the inevitable gotcha's.

BTW that's why I STILL use mostly external synths, like my guitars and amps they don't care what OS I run!

Larry

Journeyman
Journeyman
If there were a compelling advantage to re-writing BIAB as a 64-bit app, I would jump on the bandwagon, but actually I see none (except for plug-ins) which appears to be inexpensively rectified. I am not a big plug in user, personally.

I would prefer to see resources spent on modernizing the UI, and making it more cutomizeable , adding Music XML or enhancing the notation (which Music XML would satisfy.)

The new Realtracks, etc. are great, but I don't consider them FEATURES per se compared to changing the functionality of the base code. I would really never tell the difference between running 2014 and 2015.

Demanding 64-bit just because this "is the 21st Century" is not a valid argument IMO. If it does not enhance the speed or usability of the base program, it is nothing more than "bragging rights." I never see BIAB swapping to disk because it is running out of RAM.

Really, the program does more than I ever need (for its intended purpose.) Again, all I would ask is more user-customization to fit various scenarios (live performance vs. composition etc.)

Jan - 12 Core AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB DDR4
Win 10 64-bit
Samsung m.2 SSD Boot drive,other SSD internal and USB drives.
MOTO 2
Ketron SD4,SD1000
Yamaha RX-v381amp
VB-Audio virtual cables
C
Expert
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: PhillyJazz
I would prefer to see resources spent on modernizing the UI, and making it more cutomizeable , adding Music XML or enhancing the notation (which Music XML would satisfy.)

+1. And fixing the bugs!

BIAB 2024, latest build.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199