Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I have got to say they took their time to prepare this new driver, but THIS VERY DAY a new driver appeared on their website.

http://support.creative.com/downloads/?h=7

"Driver
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series driver 2.18.0013
Filesize : 54.1 MB Download Show Details
Release date : 26 Jun 09
This download is a driver providing Microsoft® Windows® 7, Windows Vista® and Windows XP support for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series of audio devices. For more details, read the rest of this web release note."

This is the first time I have been able to get some of the additional features of my XtremeGamer working on my Vista 64bit computer.

The first thing it gave me was the AutoUpdate facility, then a new CD Burner Plugin for MediaSource 5 Player/Organiser, and then the Smart Recorder.

Joy, oh, joy! About bloody time!

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."
Veteran
Veteran
Thanx for the heads up!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Hi Graham,

Well worth waiting for and they even have the next generation ready for Windows 7 and this is because this time Microsoft really cooperated with the external developers all along the way and not the disaster of Vista

Wow this is a great audio package

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Zoo computer with 7i processor- SSD 1TB -2TB HDD
Roland keyboards
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I should have known better than to get excited about anything Creative puts out. Beware folks! This driver can cause a problem with your computer closing down if you are using Vista. I am actually using 64bit Vista which they claimed the driver was designed for. My soundcard is XtremeGamer. The close down takes forever - up to ten minutes! There are a bunch of people on the Creative forum with the same problem.

Gees, Creative are the most frustrating software company to deal with. They never get anything right. Don't you think it would have been basic procedure and quality control to test it thoroughly before releasing?

Grah Jive Talk
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Why do people keep buying their cards for music?!?!? The card itself is called XtremeGamer, not XtremeRecorder!!!!!

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Why do people keep buying their cards for music?!?!?

Well, mine seems to be working just fine, but then again, I've only got Vista 32. I did not upgrade the drivers. I have it because it natively supports soundfonts. Sure, you can find other soundfont solutions, but just loading the soundfont directly into the sound card's bank slot is the easiest, and when I tell a (non-VSC/non-DX) piece of software to use the soundcard, it then uses my soundfont of choice.

For everything else, I've not had any problems with my XtremeGamer. I bought mine because it was the cheapest true X-Fi card (the XtremeAudio is not a true X-Fi). Of course, it is ironic that the high-end version of the X-Fi is called the Fatality.

I'm not defending Creative, because in the past I've spent several frustrating hours with them on the phone to no satisfaction; I'm just saying that my XtremeGamer seems to work fine under both Vista32 Ultimate SP2 and on my XP Pro SP3 machines.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
Hi,

We had a client yesterday with exactly the same problem as you describe on Vista 64 - we simply uninstalled the download - cleared all traces and re-installed with all applications - virus - spyware etc turned off and it worked as normal

A warning is given to ensure no other application is running as this is a big driver package

The reason Creative calls the X-Fi is called XtremeGamer is because of a rationalisation of the range of cards they had prior to Vista when they had some cards doing almost the same job - they incorporated the best of audio creation and gaming and because gaming was 83% of sales they called it X-F- Xtreme Gamer with the description to state that it replaced the audio creation and gamer features in one card

I have never had a problem with Creative over 8 years of use and we rate it as the best value for money card giving the widest range of features - to date we have installed some 600 cards without problems

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
FYI, I just bought a new laptop, an HP Pavilion DV7-1285dx 'Entertainment Center', with Vista-64 bit on it. I'm also beta-testing the new Windows-7 Release Candidate/64-bit O.S.

I installed 64-bit/Windows-7 last night, and I downloaded and installed the new beta driver for the X-Fi, USB_W7DRVBETA_US_1_01_0092.exe, and it's working extremely well. I got BIAB/2009 working on it pretty well... I did notice one weirdness: I had to install the Coyote/ForteDXi package, and as it was installing, I saw all of the various instruments flash by as they were being installed. When I actually started up BiaB and went in to configure the MIDI options, and selected the ForteDXi, the only thing showing up for the channels in the config window for the Forte was the line marked "Drum Kit"... All of the other instruments on the channels were not showing up.

So far, all of the songs that I have "frozen" work just fine, and all of the styles where I've tried the built-in Demo work just fine. I don't notice anything weird... But it strikes me as odd that none of the channel information shows up on the Forte/DXi...

Just thought I would pass it along...

(I don't play any games, so I don't know if the new Win-7 driver works with those or not, but I haven't noticed anything else unusual...)

"You play pretty good--for a girl."
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
8 years here on an old M-Audio delta 24/96 card no issues , just update the driver every now and again, and the mon mix feature is great. Having a card that was designed for recording from the getgo is worth the few extra bucks. Sound fonts are nice but with the good font players and better GM sets today not necessary. Just sayin'

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
When you've got a laptop that only takes PCMCIA/Express-54 form-factor cards, and you want something better than the built-in mediocre sound-card, you make do... Just sayin'.

How nice for you that you found something that's worked for 8 years...

Last edited by LadyJazzer; 06/30/09 03:26 PM.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
That can be a problem, but there are loads of options for laptops that avoid the creative issues, and have better mixer software setup, and better convertors.

But if the creative cards are working them great, but i see on just about every forum related to this subject people are having fits getting decent drivers and such, so why endure it when there are options. there is no reason to make do, when there are a plethora of options, i love that word Plethora!

M-Audio surely has had some driver issues, but they seem to always work them out.

Last edited by Robh; 06/30/09 04:59 PM.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I tell you what... You come up with a M-Audio card that fits into an Express-54 form-factor for a new HP laptop, and find drivers for it that will work with Windows-7, and you got a deal...

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I tell you what... You come up with a M-Audio card that fits into an Express-54 form-factor for a new HP laptop, and find drivers for it that will work with Windows-7, and you got a deal...

M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Not Express54, but USB connect.

Known to work and play well with pgmusic products.

--Mac

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Quote:

Hi,

We had a client yesterday with exactly the same problem as you describe on Vista 64 - we simply uninstalled the download - cleared all traces and re-installed with all applications - virus - spyware etc turned off and it worked as normal

A warning is given to ensure no other application is running as this is a big driver package

The reason Creative calls the X-Fi is called XtremeGamer is because of a rationalisation of the range of cards they had prior to Vista when they had some cards doing almost the same job - they incorporated the best of audio creation and gaming and because gaming was 83% of sales they called it X-F- Xtreme Gamer with the description to state that it replaced the audio creation and gamer features in one card

I have never had a problem with Creative over 8 years of use and we rate it as the best value for money card giving the widest range of features - to date we have installed some 600 cards without problems

jazzman

Hi Jazzman

Well, I must admit I did not shut down my anti virus. I'll give it another go. Is there a quick way to ensure that everything is

ou don't by any chance have a list of files to delete so that I have 'cleared all traces'?

I have been putting up with the slow Shut Down because it is such a pleasure to have the extra Creative software working correctly. Plus - and I don't think this is wishful thinking - the sound seems so much clearer.

Grah Jive Talk
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
This is kind of my point, If i have to shut down the antiviurs and then download a driver bare on the net, no thanks! I have already had a virus wipe me out once.

If creative would make a driver that worked great, but so far they continue year after year to cause grief.

As far as windows 7, I for the life of me can't understand why someone would want to be a guinnea pig for microsoft, If this is just a curiousity fine but this is my main hobby, and a true passion. I still do not track in Vista, XP is rock stinkin' solid, I will upgrade to window 7 when it is likewise. I understand Gary cause he loves to experiment, and has th resources to do so, but be clear he still has other options available to get things done, not relying on Win7 entirely. When they call it a release canidate that is because it might be ready to release and this is the best so far, but it is not done yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If all one has is one laptop, why jump into the pond on every new idea, or driver set, or interface that comes rolling by, they all need maturity before true reliability is there. There is a reaosn that noone else has a PCI express card, what it is i do not know, but on almost every forum i go to there are tons of folks suffering with creative driver issues.

The reason i still track with an 8 year old M-Audio is that in those 8 years it has never crashed, not once. When a new driver is needed they work it out in time. there is something new coming out all the time, the forums are full of people trying to get their new3 toys to work with their systems. Grief by the tons, not for me.

I do not use beta drivers, i wait till they are release versions. Like Mac said, i go for what plays nice with my software.

Last edited by Robh; 06/30/09 05:15 PM.

Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Yeah, but that is not very helpful Robh and this is not a BETA driver. Creative really do have the best specs for a soundcards, particularly if you want comprehensive midi functions and control. I did not have any problems over the years I used a Soundblaster Live and the Audigy in my laptop runs fine. You were quite wrong about the 'XtremeGamer' name. I selected that particular one on advice from jazzman after I had foolishly installed the XtremeAudio, which sounds like it should be the right name for a music soundcard. It wasn't, as John pointed out!

I know from listening to my mates' systems that there is nothing quite like the wonderful sound of Band-in-a-Box playing through a correctly functioning Creative soundcard. Either using their synth or Forte.

You are however quite right about the diabolical record they have with drivers for the XFi range and how unapproachable are their support. I don't know in which country they are located for the Asian region but I can tell you it definitely ain't Australia.

But I am still having problems uninstalling the new driver. Jazzman?

Grah Jive Talk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

As far as windows 7, I for the life of me can't understand why someone would want to be a guinnea pig for microsoft, If this is just a curiousity fine but this is my main hobby, and a true passion. I still do not track in Vista, XP is rock stinkin' solid, I will upgrade to window 7 when it is likewise.

If all one has is one laptop, why jump into the pond on every new idea, or driver set, or interface that comes rolling by, they all need maturity before true reliability is there. There is a reaosn that noone else has a PCI express card, what it is i do not know, but on almost every forum i go to there are tons of folks suffering with creative driver issues.

I do not use beta drivers, i wait till they are release versions. Like Mac said, i go for what plays nice with my software.

Perhaps you've jumped to an incorrect conclusion that I "choose to be a guinea pig for Microsoft" without knowing squat about what I do for a living, (when I'm not being a jazz musician). I get PAID to evaluate OS's, evaluate sound-cards, and ensure that drivers work. I am a project manager for a large software company, and many of the recommendations that I make become future directions for other projects.

Vista was, and is, garbage. Our company is basically telling all of our clients that we will not tweak the software we install to work with Vista/64. However, like it or not, Windows-7 is going to be the next major "ubiquitous" O.S., and most large companies, (both private and governmental) are skipping Vista and looking to deploy Win-7 on a large scale. It gets released on October 22nd... That's a fact. If you don't want to use it, don't use it. If you want to continue on XP, go for it. (I happen to agree with you--XP is rock-solid...) But sooner or later XP will not be an option, and while some folks want to hang on to their Commodore-64's, Atari's, S&H Green Stamps, and buggy-whips, the world is moving on. For that reason, someone has to test this stuff and point out the problems with it. Sooner, rather than later, PGMusic and many others are going to be faced with a whole bunch of machines out there that are going to come loaded with Win-7/Basic, Win-7/Professional, and Win-7/Ultimate in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavors, and the "We don't support that" option is not going to last very long, or people will look for other solutions.

I've gone to the trouble to post what I've discovered works (so far), and what doesn't work (so far) with Win-7 and the X-Fi card on a 64-bit machine. If it doesn't apply to you, like I said before, "How nice for you." But not every situation is your situation, and it strikes me as rather self-centered to say, "If I don't need it, then no one else should need it either."

Of course, your mileage may vary...

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Firstly i never said that, what i pointed out is the Win7 IS not ready YET, and i have no doubt that it will be a good system, and drivers will be made for it, some are now, but it is not there YET. I am not self centered, but pragmatic. I know what works, i do not just hang around here, i have been doing this for over 10 years now since before Cakewalk came out of midi only on floppy disk. I never said you did not know squat, i am sure you do! To be clear and done with it, I said the jumping forward to every new OS and every new driver that pops up is not the best path ...... wait for it, for most people. Because MOST people do not want to beta test and lead the sharp edge of the bright new world. Most people i have talked to in this environment over the last 10 years just want stability, and to make music. conventional wisdom has always been to wait till something matures before taking the plunge.

I am not afraid or worried about the future, i use Vista at work every day, and have from the first 6 months it was out. It works just fine. Never have an issue with it. But from my experience on this forum, the cakewalk forum, over at audiominds, the old N-track forum, talking with folks at Reaper, The good folks that use MTS, 8 years association with Acidplanet is that Creative Products have a Looooong history of issues with mulittrack recording, that said i have helped many people get them up and running. They can do a very good job, I have known of several that install them for just what Graham said, to use as low latency synths, heck i started on a sound blaster. Had loads of problems, bought a delta card, problems stoped from install to now. I have used sound fonts for years. They are nice, some are superior, there are some better synths out there today, but i still use them at times.

Who ever wants to pioneer the field and use the latest beta, release issue can do that if they want. I am not putting you or anyone down, just speaking freely the other side of the coin. The fact that Creative can be problems, it always has and unless they learn to respond always will. For it's sound font abilities it is great. But i believe and always will that there are better choices overall.

I can say that, believe that, and if you do not, great. I have respect for your opinion and experience. But getting combative with me, and incinuating i live in the past will not change mine, and frankly puzzles me, since we are all allowed to have an opinion, and express it if we want. That is last time i checked. I never made it personal with you, i just stated a point, in your own post you stated you used beta drivers and the as you put it worked pretty well except some weirdness. Bingo you make my point i bet there are not a handful of musicians here that want to fuss with weirdness. Then want to record. If you do great go for it, but don't put me down for prefering not to, and expressing that view!

Expert
Expert
Hi Graham,

I have been away on tour and just logged in

We found the best way is to go to - Device Manager > Sound Video and games > Creative SB X-Fi Proerties > Driver - and either Roll Back Driver to the previous one OR Uninstall to remove the lot with "Delete the driver software for this device" checked if you feel comfortable with re-install - this is what we do

After reboot make sure that ALL applications are closed including those which go active at start up - like virus - spyware - etc before re-install of the driver update

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Expert
Expert
Hi Robh,

I see this debate has moved in other ways and I have some sympathy with your comments

Quote:

This is kind of my point, If i have to shut down the antiviurs and then download a driver bare on the net, no thanks! I have already had a virus wipe me out once.

You can take the delivery of the disc or "allow" safe sites like Creative or DOWNLOAD the program with anti-virus etc on - but INSTALL the drivers with them turned off - It is generally advised with large driver packages to INSTALL with no other applications running especially virus - spyware etc as these can create incomplete/faulty driver files

If a DiscClean - Defrag and Spyware clean has been done, a slowdown of start up or shutdown of the computer usually points to a driver problem as the first place to look - and in this thread Graham saw the difference after the download

jazzman

BIAB - RealBand - 2022
Windows 10 64
Roland keyboards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,489
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195