You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#273940 - 12/11/14 10:05 AM [User Showcase] Stay a While (new song)
Loc: Massachusetts
BruceI Offline
Apprentice

One of the things I like about upgrading to a new BIAB version is that it gets me digging through RealTracks (new and old), searching for new songs that may be hidden in them. For this one, I was playing with a style called =ROKJZEV and I really liked the feel of the song demo. So I started with that, changed some chords, re-arranged, added horns and (RT) lead guitar, and replaced the two MIDI tracks with RealTracks. Then I started scatting to that, and "Stay a While" was the result. Although the rest of the parts are Even feel, the RT bass is Swing feel, and it seems to work. Sounds good to me anyway. I was thinking of Al Green and Steely Dan while playing with this, FWIW. Dreaming of the big leagues. smile

https://soundcloud.com/flyingsinger/stay-a-while-scratch-lead-vocal

I plan to add harmonies and background vocals, so this is a work in progress with a scratch lead vocal. Suggestions welcome!

Thanks for listening,
Bruce

Key=F , Tempo 100, Length (m:s)=4:28
Style is =RKJEVBI.STY ()
RealTracks in song: ~903:Bass, Electric, SmoothCool Sw16 100
RealTracks in style: 2196:Piano, Electric, Rhythm JazzRock Ev16 100
RealTracks in style: 924:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm BossaGrooveComp Ev 110
RealTracks in style: 2110:Horn Section, Background, R&B Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 1650:Guitar, Electric, Soloist JazzFunkGroovin Ev16 110
RealDrums in style: LaPopJazzLaidbackEv16: a: Snare, HiHat b: Snare, Ride
Vocals, effects, and mix done in Sonar X3 Producer.

Stay a While

I cried when you called me baby
Talking bout running away
I tried every argument
To get you to stay
Burning up in a blaze of glory
I pray we're not the same sad story
You never wanna think it can happen to you

CHORUS:
I've seen how rays of sunshine always make you smile
I could be your sunny day if you could stay a while

I lied when my friends came over
Askin' what's up with you
I said something about your sister
And you'd be back soon
I lie awake till the cold, gray morning
I know you tried to give me fair warning
I got a lotta growing up to do

CHORUS

Bridge
I hope I can find the strength to turn myself around
Cause if I lose the light, the light I found in you
What will I do? I love only you

INSTR 1/2 verse

Burning up in a blaze of glory
This doesn't have to be our story
Look outside, the clouds are blowing away

CHORUSES, fade

Words & music by Bruce Irving

#273951 - 12/11/14 10:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Really cool stuff!! I can see the Al Green. I was immediately hearing the "Steely" influence before I read your intro. However, lyrics are not nearly weird enough for them, and they don't do covers as far as I know. Really pleasant song and different than anything I've heard hear. Great work!! Take care. Greg

#273960 - 12/11/14 11:07 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: Greg Johnson]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Online   content
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really cool stuff!! I can see the Al Green. I was immediately hearing the "Steely" influence before I read your intro. However, lyrics are not nearly weird enough for them, and they don't do covers as far as I know. Really pleasant song and different than anything I've heard hear. Great work!! Take care. Greg

I'm with Greg with most of his comments. I heard the "Steely" influence too. I also think it's a really nice song and is certainly worth your time to tighten it up and add backing vocals. I think backing vocals and some harmony would benefit your end result.

While I think the overall song is good, I did not come away with that feeling for the intro or your ending. It was great once I got into the song and stayed great until the end of the song. From my personal standpoint, the intro did not seem everything was coordinated together and did not come together until right before you started with the vocals.

The ending seemed to be various instruments searching for a place to stop.

These are just personal observations and if they are playing as you intended for them to play, I simply missed your intention. Not that difficult for me to do. I always listen for what I think should happen, not necessarily to what the artist may be trying to achieve.

Still, overall, I liked the song and it was enjoyable to listen to.

Charlie

#273964 - 12/11/14 11:18 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

Nice start to a cool tune..

I could hear both of the aforementioned artists in this....

I'd personally try to make it pop more...add more funk to it. The drums are just a bit to steady for the groove.

The RT lead guitar smokes in places.... nice.

Be sure to take it back to the root for the ending.... don't leave it hanging like that when you get ready to finish it up.

Edited by Guitarhacker (12/11/14 11:20 AM)

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#273969 - 12/11/14 11:24 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Belgium
FredM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Belgium
Hello Brucel,
You've got a great and versatile voice that carries the song well. I think the song has potential.
Curious how it will develop...
Grtz
F

#273983 - 12/11/14 11:57 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
BruceI Offline
Apprentice

Thanks for these helpful comments. It definitely is a work in progress, and it will either have a fade or a proper in-key ending when it's done.

The problem with virtuosic RT solos like the ones I used here is that they are so cool, you just want to use them, but you also need to question whether they work for the song, cool or not. So Charlie's thoughts are right on.

Same with the drums - I thought they worked, but maybe something funkier would work better. I will try out other options in BIAB before I go back to Sonar. I have some time booked with my producer at the end of the month to work on a few of my in-progress tracks. He's a fine guitarist and drum programmer and has great ears. He may want to just keep the horns (but I think keys and rhythm guitar are working too). He will also help me work out some non-obvious but cool harmonies and BG vox.

Thanks again,
Bruce

#273988 - 12/11/14 12:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Excellent song. Lyrics and singing were excellent...

#274036 - 12/11/14 03:50 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
I think that you have a fantastic start here and in fact I think that it is almost finished. My thoughts are this:
1-I like the drums but they need more snap and pop to them. Compression and EQ are your friends here.
2-I think a little harmony would sound great.

This is a really good song.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#274125 - 12/12/14 07:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Bruce,

nice song. I like your vocals.
I'm with Charlie about the intro and the ending.
Curious what comes out.

Guenter

#274132 - 12/12/14 08:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Loc: Florida
Bruce,

Super cool sound to this! Your vocal is really nice.

First time I've heard the horns really fit in a song like this (nice job!).

I might try adding one of the Salsa drums sets (congas, bongos, etc) along with the drums you already have.

This is a great listen. Really looking forward to where you take this....

floyd

#274150 - 12/12/14 10:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
(writing without reading other comments first)
Nice song!

At times it reminded me of Steely Dan (update.. apparently I'm not the only one!)
Also heard a little bit of Hall and Oates when the vocal went into falsetto

And the slower but very tasteful guitar in the beginning reminded me of the way Eric (FMM) plays.

The horns work very well as used.

Vocals are unique and recognizeable, and you can sing on key... which is always good ;-)

Lyrics are interesting

The ending was kind of abrupt... not sure if that was a design choice, or if the generation did that and you decided to leave it. A lot of people would have tweaked to get a more traditional and resolved conclusion. On the other hand, a lot of people would specifically choose the ending that is different and new.

It seemed a little imbalanced that all the "bling" came from the fast guitar when the drums remained so consistent the whole time. I wonder how it would sound with slightly less fancy guitar and slightly more varied drums...

all in all a very interesting and enjoyable piece of work!

#274168 - 12/12/14 01:23 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello Bruce,

I really like this, the guitar really flies!! But the vocals are also very nice.
It's got that 80s/90s groove that I like.

Regards,
Rob

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#274203 - 12/12/14 05:02 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Bruce,

This was a great listen. As far as being "a work in progress" goes, this is one of the strongest I've heard in a long time. You've got some really good things happening. Like others earlier in the thread, I'll be watching out for where this takes you!

Regards,
Noel

#274212 - 12/12/14 05:48 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: California
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
The song jumps out at you upon starting, wasn't ready for that.

I like the chord structure and melody, nice lil groove you got going on.

Nice job.

#274231 - 12/12/14 09:31 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Hi Bruce,

Good song and love your vocal. Cool melody and really liked the lying about the sister line. Didn't care for the lead guitar much. Gotta agree with Trax, nice groove you got going on. It'll be interesting to hear the real production when it's done.

Josie

#274313 - 12/13/14 08:05 AM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Bruce.

This is already a very classy song.

Your vocal performance is brilliant - very professional delivery and bursting with expression. I can't wait to see how the harmonies will sound and exactly where you intend to place them.

The mix is sweet as it stands, so don't go and spoil it with too much processing!

I could listen to this stuff all day long.

ROG.

#274351 - 12/13/14 01:17 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Bruce, I gave this another listen. It is really well done on so many levels. If I had a suggestion, it would be to make the chorus stand apart more. It kind of rolls by with the same vibe as the verses so there is not a clear build, climax, reset kind of thing. I would not even bring this up except that I think the song has so much potential. Just occurred to me so I thought I'd mention it. Take care. Greg

#274407 - 12/13/14 05:20 PM [User Showcase] Re: Stay a While (new song) [Re: BruceI]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

hi bruce I agree with all comments really engaging and vocal nice guitar chops thanks eric

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28456 Members
58 Forums
55292 Topics
460671 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
jeM, Masaladosa, jonny1, rikkyj, tbeach

28456 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 370
Pipeline 342