Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Mario! Absolutely loved your newest one! Always nice to hear from you. Thanks for listening and commenting. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
THanks Bob! Very nice to get such a nice compliment from you. It has been a while since my father-in-law passed but I still miss him. Yes, Sausalito is incredible! I really regret that the SF bay area has become so wealthy-it is so beautiful but the money and traffic make it less accessible. I grew up in San Mateo, about 30 miles south of Sausalito. Interesting bit of trivia-I imagine you remember the franchise H Salt Esquire Fish and Chips. I believe they were bought out by KFC. My first fish and chips were from Sausalito and the older English couple who prepared them were the originators of that business. They were delicious (the fish and chips that is). Take care, and thanks again. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Rafa!! And thanks for the link. I'm guessing this song also relates to the town of Sausalito. Santana is a SF native. A kid who went 2 years to my high school (Aragon High) named Neal Schon dropped out to join Santana at age 16. Turned out pretty good for him. I remember hearing my brother and other kids talking about him when he played in dances at Borel Junior High (I went there too). In fact, a guitar player I knew when he was in 7th grade and I was in 5th grade once said "I'd kiss myself if I could play like Neal Schon". I had no idea who Neal Schon was but I thought it was a pretty unusual thing for a junior high kid to say. I guess I'm rambling. THanks again and take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Guenter! I really appreciate the kind words you always have for my songs. THanks again for listening and taking time to comment! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
You are too kind Tom (but please stay that way, you make my day!). The California sound, and California itself (as much as I despise the crowds, the expense, and the flaky politics) are part of my soul. I first became aware of the Eagles when I heard Take it Easy on the radio in about '72 while my brother, I, and a friend were driving to the beach in Half Moon Bay. HMB is another beautiful town I've thought about writing a song about. You've probably heard of Maverick's (renowned big waves). That is right over the hill in northern HMB. I used to body surf there as a kid and never knew it existed, nor did anyone I knew. There is a film about it I want to see (Chasing Mavericks). Anyway, I fell in love with that sound immediately--"We may lose or we may win but we will never be here again, so open up I'm climbin' in,to take it easy". That still gets me, even though I've heard it a thousand times. Thanks so much for your great support this year. I love what you're doing and I love hearing from you. It would be great to meet you and Floyd when I make it someday back to Florida. THanks so much Tom. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
R and AM, thanks so much!! You guys are unbelievably prolific and such a great presence on the forum (that 90s thing was really cool and unique on the forum-I have a song that I'm going to shape more that way after hearing what you pulled off). Your productions are first class and so diverse. Those BG vocals were me. I remember my harmony teacher in community college saying, when a part was really high, "the sopranos are going to have to tighten their belts on this one". Well...I hit about the highest note I'm capable of. The BGs in the bridge were an afterthought and I think they helped prevent the song from getting too boring. THanks again for all your encouragement, AND great posts! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Noel! Always appreciate your very thoughtful comments. I don't know where I got the idea to use personification. When I think about it, the example I remember from relatively modern pop is Winchester Cathedral. I did enjoy (and still do) those oldies. People seemed to think and explore much more in those days than they do now-guess their too busy on their iphones! Thanks again Noel, and keep posting! New Xmas tune is great! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg...

I WORE OUT Late For The Sky. At school - McGill University, Montreal '74 - my roommates were a Who fan and a King Crimson fan... I wore them down and they both became JB fans...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
Steve is right about the Jackson Browne feel (with the Eagles doing harmonies...those are sweeeeeet)

Yeh I TOTALLY agree with floyd.

I like your style of music and really look forward to what 2015 brings,

Happy Christmas,

Alyn

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Yeah Floyd, I pretty much wore out his first 4 albums. I believe Running on Empty was the 5th. It was very good but I felt that it did not hold up to the first 4. That was when he caught on with the mainstream. Funny how the general public is always a little late. Funny that you mention THE WHO. I have always been a huge fan. Pete Townshend, along with JB, is one of maybe 20 people in rock/pop that I consider to be a true genius. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Alyn! Really appreciate you taking time to listen and comment. Really got a kick out of your new one. I guess telemarketers are as bad in the UK as here in the states. Thanks again. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg.

I love a song which paints pictures and this one filled my mind with wonderful images.

A beautiful song, expertly delivered. I particularly liked your arrangement of the BVs.

Regards, ROG.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow... I really like that song. Yeah, I too caught a Jackson Brow kinda vibe from this and like someone else pointed out, that's a good thing.

You are one of the better wordsmiths here... you have a natural way with turning a phrase.... Loved it. Painting pictures with words....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Thanks Noel! Always appreciate your very thoughtful comments. I don't know where I got the idea to use personification. When I think about it, the example I remember from relatively modern pop is Winchester Cathedral. I did enjoy (and still do) those oldies. People seemed to think and explore much more in those days than they do now-guess their too busy on their iphones! Thanks again Noel, and keep posting! New Xmas tune is great! Take care. Greg

Greg,

When I think of personification, the songs that always spring to my mind are "Galveston" (a Jimmy Webb composition sung by Glen Campbell) and "I Write The Songs" (Barry Manilow). The town/city 'Galveston' in "Galveston" is personified in second person and 'music' in "I Write the Songs" is personified in first person: two different approaches with two different lyric effects.

Like your song, "Galveston" also uses a construction technique called apostrophe. This is a great lyric writing strategy and has been used by a number of highly successful lyricists. Apostrophe involves addressing an absent person, thing or place in second person and as if it is present and will 'answer' (hence the personification).

I really like what you've done with "Sausalito". I agree with Herb. You are definitely one of the forums best wordsmiths.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
THanks ROG. Much appreciated! I always loved the use of BG vocals. I had none in the bridge originally but I thought the song dragged a bit and then got the idea for putting them there, which I think helped. Really nice to hear from you. Loved your last video! Enjoyed the song even more the second time around-great vocal and vibe! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for the kind words Herb! It still sticks with me what a great compliment you gave me on Take Me Down. I love your thoughtful feedback, and really love hearing your music. You can really play!! And your vocals are pretty darn good too. Thanks for listening and taking time to comment. Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks for the great compliment Noel!! I hear a lot of great lyrics on this site and it is indeed very flattering to be considered among the better. I remember Galveston somewhat but I'll have to listen again. I LOVE Jimmy Webb (Wichata Lineman, My Beautiful Balloon, Adios, McCarther Park, etc.....). You should check out What Does a Woman See in a Man by JW. It combines extremely clever humor with some touching sentiment. It is one of his many gems. Thanks for the kind words. Merry Xmas! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg,

I enjoyed the song and now I enjoy your stories in the replies.

Great song, great stories.

My ears are glad we met on this forum grin

Have a good Christmas

Alyn

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Greg,
What's more to say? Beautiful backing vocals, loved all of it!
Have a great Christmas time!
Fred

Last edited by FredM; 12/19/14 03:39 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Greg

Exactly what we have come to expect from you. Songwriting genius.

This is a really beautiful song of nostalgia. A great arrangement, perfect balance, laid-back with a really nice easy country feel.

I've actually been to Sausalito. What a beautiful harbor town

This song should definitely be in the charts.

Thanks for all of your songs over the past year.

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,475
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195