Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi,
I keep getting weird messages ie part 3 : instrument not found message on
M FSTOST load song demo, the second one down.

It worked perfectly well on biab 2014.

It's not the only one I've come across, but off hand I can't quite remember which others it may have been on , and whether it may have been before the updates.
Any one else this has happened to.

Best wishes
Rikki

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
Veteran
Veteran
Yea in most cases it's the BIAB Hi-Q instruments not being seen by sampletank

Maybe reinstall the Hi-Q sets and make sure you run current BIAB update 214

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi Larry,
Thank you I'll try that. Just couldn't work out what the message actually meant.

Actually it's BB 2015 that I'm having the problem with, it worked ok in 2014 version.

It's my new setup, changed laptops ( old one all but died) and my new one has an SSD hard drive, so I now have to run files from the USB drive because the SSD isn't large enough to load everything. Might have been easier if I'd just replaced what I had. Haha . Wise in hindsight.

Last edited by rikkisbears; 12/31/14 06:17 PM.

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
Veteran
Veteran
I'm typing this from phone so keeping it short but that error usually means the band-in-a-box instruments folder under your sampletank instruments folder is not there or in wrong sub folder. When you installed 2015 it reinstalled hi-q set 1 unless you unchecked that box during installation . So that might have "upset" your sampletank instruments folders tree

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thank you so much,
I'll do some more investigating, obviously I've done something strange, it was so much easier having it all loaded into my old laptop, had been dreading upgrading to the new laptop, now I know why. Haha

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
Veteran
Veteran
Where you have SampleTank 2 instruments installed is where BIAB should install the ...\Band-in-a-Box subfolder with its Hi-Q instruments

I'd tell you exact path but my install is nowhere close to default so my path up to the "Band-in-a-Box" sub-folder is useless.

I THINK for (Win 7/8 64 bit) the default path is:

C:\Programs Files (86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\

IF WIN 7 32 (or win XP) that would be C:\Programs Files\IK Multimedia\Instruments\Band-in-a-Box\

Then the sub-sub folders for: Bass, Drums, Guitar,…World

Don't forget to refresh the path inside SampleTank, using eh "prefs" button after doing the BIAB install or the HI-Q set 2 install before you use it with band in a box. That should ensure ST knows where the sounds are

good luck

O
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
O
To add to what Larry K. describes, about 2 years ago <a time long ago and a place far away> similar problems were experienced with Hi-Q tags in the SampleTank VSTi, and a step by step solution (Larry K's, but for dummies like me) was posted.

You can help verify the lost instruments message refers to Hi-Q stuff by right clicking on the radio button of a midi track at the top of the screen; choose the 'Select Hi-Q midi synth patch' and you will get the error message in every case if the folders are a lost tribe.

At that point the Larry K's advice and the following will probably fix you up: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=192278. Or just type in <192278> in the forum search box. The step by step fix process is visual and easy to follow.

I had the same problem you describe after installing BIAB 2015 over 2014 and the fix worked, but I needed the above reference to help me sort it out.

I have the full version of SampleTank 2.5 and have ordered the SampleTank 3 (64 bit only) (used with JBridge in BIAB 2015) and expect to have a similar sort it out session when I install it.

John E.

Veteran
Veteran
good news on that front- SampleTank 3 has no impact on the Hi- Q instruments because those HiQ instruments are only SampleTank 2 - Band in a Box will not call up SampleTank 3 to play them, it will call up SampleTank 2's DXi so your SampleTank 3 install will have no impact

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/01/15 06:20 PM.

Expert
Expert
That depends...

If you have SampleTank 3 installed and SampleTank3 has moved all SampleTank2 instruments into its legacy folder. you could erase SampleTank2.x from your harddisk to free a lot of disk space.

Some of the MIDI SuperTracks have SampleTank2.5 hardcoded as a plugin. These you can't access then. Dr. Peter Gannon has stated in another thread that you would have to edit that style to automatically use SampleTank3.

If you play Hi-Q instruments, direct BIAB/RB to the new SampleTank3 instrument.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Veteran
Veteran
I am experiencing this same problem.

I use the Hi-Q instruments a lot - typically by loading a SuperMidi Piano track or Strings track (it then asks if you want to use the Hi-Q instrument).

I get the "part 3 : instrument not found message" on the piano track. If I go to the plugins tab it has Sampletank displayed. Bring that up and there is nothing selected - nothing in the channels. The Band In A Box folder IS listed on the right side.
And all the instruments are there. I can load the piano in channel 3. It will then play.

Select the strings and get "part 7 : instrument not found message". Go through the same thing - and make sure the Strings go into channel 7 - and they now both play.

Save the song, reload and get 2 errors:
part 3 : instrument not found message
part 7 : instrument not found message

If I don't get them in their respective slots - assigned to the right channel, the programs spins forever - and I have to end the task via Task Manager.

2015 installed over a working 2014.
I ran the Authorization Manager (which again required downloading an update saying it was "out of date") and enter the serial and code that I got originally in 2012...
This is going to "get old" very fast (like already!)

I tried the fix listed above - it did not change anything for me.

Thoughts?

Veteran
Veteran
To keep it simple, I was talking about (and assuming) simply using DEFAULT installs of: BIAB, all of its HI-Q sounds, ST2, and ST3 (if he ever buys it or installs ST3). In that case, there should be no issues with Hi-Q-sounds after a default ST3 install.

No after install: "import then delete" then move it all to some other drive or directory because, yes to the uninitiated that that will screw things up. I not only moved 100% of ALL IK "stuff" (ST 2 and 3, and all of Total Studio - T-Racks, Amplitube, CS), all NI's stuff, I MOVED all my DX/DXi' (which are small) as well as all the insipid Cakewalk crap that ends up every where on the C drive to my D drive and hacked the registry to get it all working - but I don't recommend that to newbies.

Moral: if you muck with it (like you and I do/did) then yes ST3 will have impact. But again BIAB is (currently) hard coded to use ST2 (DXi not VSTi) for Hi-Q sounds. That is neither bad nor good it just is. But yes you can call up ST3 in BIAB, POINT it to the HI-Q sounds, and use them (after you import them to ST3).

BTW the full ST3 COMES with the FULL SampleTank 2 XL sound set, no need to import ST2 sound set at all.
Yes, any additional ST 2 add-ons like Vintage Keys, Acoustic Drums 2, Omni Synth 2 need to be imported to ST3 But I keep ST2 and all it's libs alive for other 32 bit SW).

That reminds me Omni Synth 2 doesn't work as a "GM module" in ST3 as it did in ST 2 (yet). Worse, I suspect ST3 will end up like Kontakt - you can have a all the GM BANKs you want and you can load them - but you can't use the engine (player) as a GM instrument : you have to manually assign the patches one at a time - no on the fly change instruments on channel N like a GM compliant module would. If someone has figured this out PLEASE share:

http://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9514

Veteran
Veteran
floyd jane

For some reason after I installed BIAB 2015 - I ALSO got those messages.

THEY ALL SEEMED TO BE FOR SOUNDS FROM Hi-Q SET 1.

Initially I did some minor troubleshooting but, in the end I just reinstalled Hi-Q set 1 (then set 2 FOR GRINS) then the BIAB update then ALSO REFRESHING ST2's path to where BIAB sounds were, finally all was well. That path refresh is done obviously from within ST2 using either the DXi or the VSTi, they SHARE path info.

But like you can read in my previous post I also have very non-standard installs so all my issues are almost always self inflicted and have to be self investigated and self corrected.

Although, it DOES SEEM in this case for HI-Q sound set 1 at least somewhere in one of the install pieces for BIAB 2015 is not quit right? This years install does appear to affect where BIAB looks for HI-Q 1 stuff or where it puts stuff for more than a few users?

Sorry, I can't help with your re-authorizations issue, I assume you have full admin privileges on everything (I RUN as admin), program is installed in default locations, and you don't have the apps blocked in any way in your AV or Firewall exceptions lists? And you have contacted IK (it's an IK issue not a PG issue).

Another thing I MIGHT have suggested (too late now I guess): If ST 2 and AmpliTube were already installed, and working, then during BIAB 2015 install I would UNCHECK new installs for:

the "IK Multimedia SampleTank DXi Synth" and,

the "IK Authorization Manger" and,

the " IK Multimedia Amplitube VST Plugin"

in the install list?

just to eliminate any changes or new authorization issues to already working applications (I did) ?

NO offense to PG - their installs are usually straight forward and work with no issues (they don’t have to muck with registry or too many paths). But lately since they have 3rd party add-ins (IK MM) that DO muck A LOT with registry and DO require authorizations - maybe those installs should be 100% separate installs: including the HI-Q sound sets that way you are 100% paying attention to what and where you install, or don't install, or don’t re-install.

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 01/02/15 07:27 AM.

Veteran
Veteran
Larry,

Thanks for the detailed response.

The reauthorization was simply in hopes that it might be the problem. But it did not solve anything.

Hindsight... had I known that there was nothing new in there - and so no reason to re-install, I would have unchecked them - since they do tend to cause all kinds of problem...there was no indication of that, though - so I did not know if they were, perhaps, updated in some way...

One thing to note - now that I have looked... the NEW stuff seems to have created a new Instruments folder under the IK Multimedia folder. The previous Instrument folder (which is still there) is under the Sampletank folder (which is under the IK Multimedia folder as well). I've tried pointing to each - with the same results. I can get the instruments to play if I add them into their slots each time - put that is lost when I close the song and the re-open it..

Veteran
Veteran
Before I suggest anything else - Can you specify EXACTLY the new and OLD directory paths to both the NEW and the old (i.e., the one that worked) ..\Band-in-a-Box sub directory (that has \Bass, \Drums, \Guitar ... sub-sub-directories)

Also can you check do see if Hi-Q SET 2 sounds give you an error or just Set 1?

"Koto, Acoustic" or "Synth, Analog, FatBass" are both in set 2

whereas

"Bass, Acoustic, Upright" or "Piano, Acoustic, Mellow Grand" are in set 1

Larry

R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi Larry,
Thank you for all the info. Just have to sort thru and see what is relevant to me.
I think I may have solved my problem, by doing an install of everything onto my internal hard drive and just leaving the real drums and real tracks on a USB drive.
I did a copy of a complete reinstall going back to 2013 and then copied my user files over the top. My old program may have been corrupted as the old laptop every now and again just closed down . Should have kept better back ups, they were kinda out of date.
Thanks so much for your help. I had no idea how the sample tank folders etc worked so it will be an interesting exercise in studying your notes.

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm fairly certain it was only after I installed build 412 that I started to get this error message when I tried to use a HiQ instrument patch.

My C: drive is a solid-state drive with limited space so I store my several gigabytes of SampleTank instruments (including the PG Music ones) on another drive and have used the "Prefs" button in the SampleTank window to point to their new location. This worked fine until I installed the above-mentioned BIAB patch.

BIAB wants to put its HiQ instruments in C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments (or just C:\Program Files\... on a 32 bit system). When I went to this folder I noticed there were several files with 2014 dates in the various PG music instruments. If I went into SampleTank and pointed it back to this folder as the location of its instrument files then the error messages disappeared but I then lost the use of all my other SampleTank instrument files.

I copied the "Band-in-a-Box" folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments and pasted it to replace the "Band-in-a-Box" folder in the folder containing all my other instruments on the other drive. I then pointed SampleTank back to this folder and the problem seems to have been resolved.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Richard Williams
Sydney
Australia
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks, again... no need... I did a re-install of the Hi-Q instruments as you suggested...

And now they work.

So - a BIG, BIG THANK YOU for that!

(although, I did get messages along the way that 4 of the files were corrupt... Jazz Brush Kit and Rock Kit. stw)

Veteran
Veteran
Great looks like everybody, here anyway, has Hi-Q working now.

Now go make music
Larry

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
We update some HiQ files in the BB2015 patch (this mainly fixes some small tuning issues). The HiQ instruments rely on files in the bb\DX Settings folder, and also in the IK Multimedia folder which is usually in Program Files. People who have manually copied their IK Multimedia (Instruments) folder to a different location after installing it, might end up with those files not being updated by the patch.

We'll try to make this work better in the next patch. If anyone has this problem in the meantime, you could copy the Instruments folder back to the default location (i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\Instruments" or "C:\Program Files (x86)\IK Multimedia\SampleTank 2.5\Instruments") then install the patch again.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi Richard,
my new laptop has the ssd hard drive too , not enough space to download full program, luv the speed, but would have been easier if I had replaced what I had and been able to just continue on as per normal. haha

Still probably doesn't hurt to learn about the folders etc.
Have to look thru all the fix suggestions , as I just noticed what I had done earlier, didn't actually fix it, stupid me was auditioning the wrong style.
I'll get there yet. haha

best wishes
rikki

BIAB 2020
Yamaha sx900
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199