OP Offline
Veteran
Happy New Year, Y'all!!!

Let's line up a few guitars...

RealTracks in style: ~519:Bass, Electric, Pop HalfNotes Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
RealTracks in song: 998:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispSync Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 997:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispArp Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 805:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm DrivingCountryBalladClean Ev 065 (B:held)
RealTracks in song: 1000:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLAFuzzyHeld Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~669:Guitar, Slide, Background EasySouthern Ev 120
RealTracks in song: 1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^6-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open

SHE MAKES IT LOOK EASY

no one likes leaving somebody hurt
broken-hearted and crying
you try everything to make it work
sometimes you can't stop love from dying
piece by piece it rips you up inside
it's a hard thing to say goodbye

she makes it look easy
   like it's a natural thing to do
   she makes it look easy
   tearing my world in two
   i never thought she had it in her to do it
   she walked away like there was nothing to it
   she's breaking my heart
   and she makes it look easy

friday nights she's stepping out
she's with somebody new
carrying on in a corner booth
the way that we used to
it's killing me she's moved on
acting like there's nothing wrong

she makes it look easy
   like it's a natural thing to do
   she makes it look easy
   tearing my world in two
   she's breaking my heart

she's breaking my heart
   she's breaking my heart

Comments welcomed and encouraged.
Thanks for listening.

floyd

User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Wow Floyd, I really like this song, really think it's a great mix between the vocals and instruments levels. I would like to hear a touch more bass. It is the only thing sitting back in the mix to me. This is some of your best vocals I've heard, and the backing vocals are spot on. You've got the Tom Adams drums thumpin' --- Nice.

It seems you mastered this song differently than others in the recent path. The overall level is higher and the high end EQ is much brighter and becomes somewhat harsh with the volume turned up. Doesn't effect how much I enjoyed this song and the fact of how professionally the instrumentation and vocals, lead and background were done.

Overall, another outstanding job.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd

You make it look easy, like it's a natural thing to do cool
Yep I believe that, excellent track.
As Charlie says the mix seems very clear, a good mix between you and the backing.

I like the effect at 2.55ish when the 2 solos play and it sounded to me that someone ad-libed something in the background. I re-listened to it a few times and it is the 2 guitars BUT....

You hit 2015 with the bar set high laugh

Alyn

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ha, ha -- eight (count 'em) real track guitars in there!! You make it sound so easy, but your songs never sound like they are BIAB. The nuances and subtleties that you (supposedly) can only get from real playing are always there in your mixes. I don't know how you do it, but it sounds great.

Fine lyrics and super vocals, too.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, floyd.

So much to like here! Solid writing with the typical grace you bring to the lyrics. There's a nice interplay between short and long lines that propels the song ahead. I like the way the chorus starts out like a list, which allows repetition of the title as well as setting up an abab form only to have you unbalance things with a pair of cc lines, which allows the chorus to end with another repeat of the title. Slick and solid, but it comes across as natural.

The concept is clever as well, building sympathy for the singer without vilifying the ex and not making the singer sound whiney. She's not a bad person, it's just that he can't let go. Nicely done.

Add to that some great singing, instrumentation and mix and you've got me sounding like a fanboy.

Your style is entirely different than mine, but I'm taking notes and stealing whatever ideas I can! smile

-- David

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

How is it that no one has mentioned the Eagles yet? Surely I'm not the only one transported back to the days of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lying Eyes".

This is classy stuff. So many guitar RTs in there and yet it doesn't sound over-produced at all. Everything comes and goes just as it should do and the overall impression is of a band that has played together for many years.

Great vocals as usual and super harmony and BVs which seemed more prominent this time.

We don't mention the mix any more, do we?

And yes, I put it up on the big Tannoys and it ROCKED.

ROG.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I couldn't remember if this one was from "On the Border" or "One of These Nights," but then it hit me that it's not the Eagles at all!

Wow, Floyd, what an awesome track!

I couldn't help but think Eagles after just a few seconds. But it actually sounds like a great original tune that happens to have a few Eagles-like characteristics (which I happen to love).

Hard to believe all those guitars are playing so well together and are all BIAB! Solid and driving. Great mix (maybe a tad more bass). But the vocals really seal the deal. Very smooth and tight.

Good start to the year! Third listen now...

Thanks,
Bruce

SoundCloud
Blog: Music of the Spheres
Tools: BIAB 2015, Sonar X3, various iPhone/iPad apps
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd - This is up to your usual high standard. Just as I have come to expect every time I press play on one of your new songs. Just love your mixes and your vocals are just wonderful. You keep us all going on this forum. You make it look so easy!

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,
Here goes...
One could hear a fairly straightforward song structure, lyrics, melody lines. Like the last one, just a simple song, a decievingly simple song that keeps playing it's tune long after the headphones have gone off.
Floyd, I bet you had a lot of fun putting all these guitars in place, in line, in the right sequence. Vocals and mix nicely balanced. (and needless to say well sung) A challenge to showcase the possibilities of BIAB, putting layer on layer on layer... and making it sound all natural. That's the main goal of this forum I suppose, and you did a great job, again smile
Don't like to be in the shoes of the storyteller tough frown
G
Fred

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Wow Floyd, I really like this song, really think it's a great mix between the vocals and instruments levels. I would like to hear a touch more bass. It is the only thing sitting back in the mix to me. This is some of your best vocals I've heard, and the backing vocals are spot on. You've got the Tom Adams drums thumpin' --- Nice.

It seems you mastered this song differently than others in the recent path. The overall level is higher and the high end EQ is much brighter and becomes somewhat harsh with the volume turned up. Doesn't effect how much I enjoyed this song and the fact of how professionally the instrumentation and vocals, lead and background were done.

Overall, another outstanding job.

Charlie

Charlie - Thanks for pointing that out. I had originally mixed this some time ago and remixed it this morning before I posted it and had neglected the bass - I was tweaking the drums, harmonies and solos and the bass got lost in the dust. I did another mix to bring the bass up. I also dropped the hi EQ some in the mastering process. It has been uploaded but I haven't been able to hear it yet because my cache won't flush - even though I go through the steps to do that - it will eventually.....

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
On a forum of such skilled listeners, it's hard not to repeat things when you don't there early. I also hear a lot of Eagles (And I love the Eagles). I think it really hits with that solo at the first chorus (I'm guessing that's the shining pop soloist), and the BGs really reinforce it. The production is excellent, and all the guitars work beautifully together. If I was going to play with anything, I might make the BGs a little louder and/or boosted in the highs, and/or possibly a little wetter. They sound great but I feel they could be brought out a bit more somehow. As for the songwriting....Masterful! Another excellent tune, expertly delivered!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Superb lyrics, outstanding vocal performance and the mix is superb as usual. thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
So many cool things about this.... Loved Brent's solo where he switched from solo to dual notes and back... something I enjoy doing as well...

The mixing of clean and dirty tracks was well done.

It's not easy to have 8 guitar tracks and end up with a clean well balanced mix as you did with this. the tendency of most folks would be to try to use the guitars more.... I like that you used restraint. The right thing at the right time. The interesting thing is that there were obviously so many different ways you could have mixed this and none of them would have been wrong, better or worse... just different.

The slide at the end was perfectly placed.

Overall writing was good as was the vox.

Great way to start the new year off the right way.

Edit: there was one thing that stood out to me. In the pause between the first verse into the chorus, everything's as smooth as it needs to be.... when it comes around again on the second verse...pause...chorus.... the first chorus chord is rushed slightly.

Oh yeah... that slide has a definite David Lindley vibe to it..... Jackson Brown... Running on Empty album..... If you haven't heard that album.... do yourself a huge favor....get it.

Edit 2: did I mention I like this song alot?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/03/15 03:12 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Floyd !:))

I simply love everything
about this song, it is so
well written, sung, played,
put together and produced !
Especially I like the vocal
harmony parts, they are just
great !:))One of your best if not
the best ? :))

Just great Floyd !!!:))

Cheers
Dani the Spaniard in spe

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
floyd
You make it look easy, like it's a natural thing to do cool
Yep I believe that, excellent track.
As Charlie says the mix seems very clear, a good mix between you and the backing.

I like the effect at 2.55ish when the 2 solos play and it sounded to me that someone ad-libed something in the background. I re-listened to it a few times and it is the 2 guitars BUT....

You hit 2015 with the bar set high laugh Alyn

ad-libed.. smile that's the way it SHOULD sound, eh? it was just a trick to make you re-listen a few times smile thanks, Alyn...

Originally Posted By: Kemmrich
Ha, ha -- eight (count 'em) real track guitars in there!! You make it sound so easy, but your songs never sound like they are BIAB. The nuances and subtleties that you (supposedly) can only get from real playing are always there in your mixes. I don't know how you do it, but it sounds great.

Fine lyrics and super vocals, too.

Thanks for dropping in, Kevin... I think getting those "nuances and subtleties" from the BIAB tracks is pretty easy. I consider BIAB to be a stable of studio players who will give me professional sounding tracks - if I know what to "ask for". Guitar based songs, like this one are the hardest because there are SO many options. It can be overwhelming because you can find a lot of different things that seems to work. Whittling down to bare essential is the hard part. Part of your perception might be from the leads in the chorus. In a case like this, I find something that works (as fills) and then use the same thing in the other choruses - the way a guy in the studio would - a repeat of the sound theme. If you leave what is originally generated, it will sound good, but not coherent in context - and will give that sense of "the software doing it all".. hope that made sense...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Floyd,

This is just great - sounds like it could be on the radio. My favorite of your songs so far...

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Hi, floyd.

So much to like here! Solid writing with the typical grace you bring to the lyrics. There's a nice interplay between short and long lines that propels the song ahead. I like the way the chorus starts out like a list, which allows repetition of the title as well as setting up an abab form only to have you unbalance things with a pair of cc lines, which allows the chorus to end with another repeat of the title. Slick and solid, but it comes across as natural.

The concept is clever as well, building sympathy for the singer without vilifying the ex and not making the singer sound whiney. She's not a bad person, it's just that he can't let go. Nicely done.

Add to that some great singing, instrumentation and mix and you've got me sounding like a fanboy.

Your style is entirely different than mine, but I'm taking notes and stealing whatever ideas I can! smile

-- David

...and so much to like about your "review". Your thoughts/understanding of what makes a lyric work are good reading - much like Noel's (when he happens by). You hit on a good point regarding the context that you put your "target" in.. The whiny, vindictive, vengeful thing - which can occur often with some writers - is a very bad place to write from. I did a bunch of those when I was young (and whiny and vengeful). They don't work. And no one wants to hear that... Steal away - I may be stealing your thing about the nonsense-syllable-Phil Collins thing to get a lyric started - it sounds like fun...

Originally Posted By: ROG
Hi Floyd.

How is it that no one has mentioned the Eagles yet? Surely I'm not the only one transported back to the days of "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and "Lying Eyes".

This is classy stuff. So many guitar RTs in there and yet it doesn't sound over-produced at all. Everything comes and goes just as it should do and the overall impression is of a band that has played together for many years.

Great vocals as usual and super harmony and BVs which seemed more prominent this time.

We don't mention the mix any more, do we?

And yes, I put it up on the big Tannoys and it ROCKED. ROG.

ROG - Thanks. Always good to know they sound good on the big boys...The Eagles thing was not an original intent - it just happened/evolved... I knew the opening rhythm that I wanted
380:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Syncopated Sugar Ev 102
998:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm HardRockLACrispSync Ev 120
...with a simple bass and hard hitting snare gave me that.
The harmonies were much the same as I always do, although I added in some BIABettes with my own. The Oooohs (in the chorus) seemed like the way to go and really start to give you that Eagles thing.
1513:Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryBrent Ev 065 worked for the song as fills - and it, too, turned out to lend that Eagles flavor (again, unintentional). The solo guitar that I used in the middle (1260:Guitar, Electric, Soloist PopShining Ev 120) sounded very repetitive for the outro, so I threw in the slide "echos" to give it some variety - and that immediately hit me like a Felder/Walsh combo.... So it just kept building into a very Eagles-sounding production...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I'm a fan!
No time for commenting. Must get back to listen.

Guenter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Floyd,

That is some achievement and probably my favourite song so far in my short time on these forums!

I echo all the other positive comments. I am also amazed at how you make it sound like it was played by a band rather than a bunch of RTs strung together. Great skills. Thanks for sharing.

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
+1 Always a sucker for those Eaglesque oooo's. Great listen FJ.

Josie

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,485
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195