Off-Topic
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Hi Folks,

There are lots of folks here who mucho performing experience and this question goes out to you.

I have a gig coming up in less than two weeks, it's a 6 hour house party with 40-50 people.
It's planned to be outdoors if the weather cooperates, or moved indoors if it doesn't.

There will be:
Vocalist
Guitar/vocals
Bass
Drums

I'm trying to figure out what to do about the sound system.
This is where I could use your opinion.
I'm thinking of either:
a) renting a sound system
b) hiring someone to do the sound (set-up, pick-up)
c) hiring someone to do the sound and man the board

Obviously there's a huge difference in costs with these options.
Although hiring someone would take a lot of pressure off me,
I would worry up to the last minute that they wouldn't show and
the gig would fall flat on my face.

I appreciate all tips/advice.

BIABguy
BIABguy #27781 06/29/09 06:09 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
For a gig of that small size, I'd just rent a simple sound system and run it from the stage.

--Mac

Mac #27782 06/29/09 08:44 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

For a gig of that small size, I'd just rent a simple sound system and run it from the stage.

+1

Mick

Mac #27783 06/29/09 08:45 PM
Off-Topic
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

Thanks Mac for your help!

Although I've been performing off and on for many many years now, I've never had to come up with a sound system on my own before.
Is it really a simple procedure to set up the sound system?

If I went this route, how much time would you budget for the setup?

TIA

BIABguy
BIABguy #27784 06/29/09 11:04 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
For a small gig like that i would not mike the drums, just the vocals and any accoustic guitars. A few years ago i bought a small Kustom P/A system and have never regreted it. I paid less than $200 and it was the best investment i have made. Recently some close friends borrowed it for a wedding performance and it was rock solid. The Kustom model is no longer but it was a lot like this unit. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Phonic-Powerpod-410-S710-PA-System-630485-i1395799.gc. You could rent a small system for around $100 to $150 per day, but for a little more have a small portable system that if taken care of would last. I have gotten 8 years out of mine, and it has played to up to 200 people very comfortable

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Rob Helms #27785 06/30/09 12:41 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
What Mac said.
Use the backline for guitar and bass and run only the vocals (and CD-player or whatever you use for music playback in between sets) trough the sound system.

Remember when you setup that each musician wants to hear him/herself and the other bandmembers. That doesn't mean "turn your amp up" but carefully placement of the amps and the soundsystem.

break a leg.

Mike sings #27786 06/30/09 04:27 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'd ask the other musicians if they need monitors. Sometimes they are fussy about that. Sometimes they will be okay with the speakers pointed at an angle that all can hear. But Mac is right, for a small party like that it's easily done.

My website to hear my stuff-

http://www.edbulmer.com/

guitar player, vocalist, sailor
BIABguy #27787 06/30/09 05:01 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

TIA

If at all possible set up a dry run at home or wherever you rehearse with as many of the inputs as you can get together.
On day of gig I would aim to have the whole thing set up, sound checks run etc around 90 minutes before the very first guests are due to arrive. This leaves you some time to sort out any unforeseen difficulty.

edbulmer #27788 06/30/09 05:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It is also helpful if you have someone whose musical judgment you trust--wife/GF, nonplaying muso--anyone who is not distracted with either playing or with the function itself (which is why you wouldn't ask the host)--to help with sound in terms of reporting to you on balance, tone, and overall volume level. Get them to do this at intervals before you start (that's your sound check) and during the first set. They will need to walk around the space while you are playing in order to get a meaningful read. Do this two or three times and you will have about as good a setup you can without having an actual soundman. (And it's BETTER than having a soundperson who doesn't really know what they're doing.)

During sound check, dial in the FOH (front of house) sound first with the monitors turned all the way down, then add monitor to fill in what you can't hear from the mains. Unless it's a really weird stage setup, for a party that small, you shouldn't need much in the way of monitor levels. It's easy to go crazy with it if you've never had proper monitors before.

Make a checklist and check it off as you pack so that you'll remember everything. Have spare cables (mic and speaker (for which you can use instrument cables in a pinch)) and maybe an extra mic or two on hand, just in case. Take way more extension AC cords and outlet strips than you think you could possibly need. Have duct ("gaffer's") tape with you to secure any cords or cables that must run across the floor. Have a LOT of duct tape with you.

Tell us more about the system and the room as you get closer to the function, and we can give you more specific advice.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
BIABguy #27789 06/30/09 06:58 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Is it really a simple procedure to set up the sound system?

TIA

Ask the Rental people to show you how to set it up, what connections to make where, etc. Take notes if needed.

TIP: When setting your sound levels, the MIcs and other input knobs/faders should be set up high, while the Master fader should be down low or "cracked" open just enough to get the volume needed. Inputs on about 70% and Master at about 20-30% The inputs should always be higher setting than the master. This will reduce feedback and also give best signal to noise ratio.

--Mac

Mac #27790 06/30/09 07:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
E-lectric guitars should have the volume turned all the way up. (LOL) Problem is player A jumps his 10 percent, the B by 20, and so on. Soon enough it all foo...

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

E-lectric guitars should have the volume turned all the way up. (LOL) Problem is player A jumps his 10 percent, the B by 20, and so on. Soon enough it all foo...

But what if they go to 11?

Ryszard #27792 06/30/09 08:56 AM
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Your solution is the Bose L1: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/portable_amplification_systems/index.jsp

Your situation is pretty much exactly what they were designed for. I've used them a few times in a few situations (once in a coffee house with just one of them, once in a small club with two, and once using three of them as the PA for a small 300-seater theatre). Every time they performed well, sounded great, are super portable and are REALLY dead-easy to set up.

I honestly can't recommend these enough - and since they are a single integrated system you don't have to rent a mixer, monitors, run a bunch of cables, etc etc etc.... They are the best for what you need.

Just rent a pair of those and you're laughing.

Last edited by Josh - PG Music Inc.; 06/30/09 08:58 AM.

-----
Do you love the Floyd as much as I do? If so, click away the moments that make up the dull day: www.canadianpinkfloyd.com
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
+1 for the Bose, if you can find one to rent, it would be the easiest for you to operate, matter of fact they are virtually plug 'n play systems that automatically provide for the critical monitoring issue and do not suffer from the problems of feedback.

Sound great, easy to use, light in weight.

One, with a mixer for input so you can do a few mics and lines, will easily handle a 50 - 100 person venue.

--Mac

mglinert #27794 06/30/09 10:55 AM
Off-Topic
B
BIABguy Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
B
Quote:

If at all possible set up a dry run at home or wherever you rehearse with as many of the inputs as you can get together.
On day of gig I would aim to have the whole thing set up, sound checks run etc around 90 minutes before the very first guests are due to arrive. This leaves you some time to sort out any unforeseen difficulty.

First I'd like to thank everyone for your valuable input on this!
With the consensus of going for a rental/purchase, I'll go this route.

This is a pick-up group. The singer does know the drummer, but I have never met any of the band members.

A sound check 90 minutes before performing would be nice but with the musicians arriving maybe 30-60 minutes before performing, it's not likely to happen.

I will definitely get there as early as possible to set up the system, but as far as as sound check or dry run is concerned that will be tough.

I will test out the system at my house the night before, just to make sure I know the thing works!

As far as more details on the venue. They are aiming for outdoors if the weather cooperates.
We would setup right next to the house and facing the back yard. The yard is rather huge with a forested area beyond the yard.
We would be covered by a balcony above.

BIABguy
BIABguy #27795 06/30/09 11:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Do Long and McQuade rent the Bose L1?

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
They sure do, John - that's where I get them every time!

-----
Do you love the Floyd as much as I do? If so, click away the moments that make up the dull day: www.canadianpinkfloyd.com
BIABguy #27797 06/30/09 12:44 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

A sound check 90 minutes before performing would be nice but with the musicians arriving maybe 30-60 minutes before performing, it's not likely to happen.

I will definitely get there as early as possible to set up the system, but as far as as sound check or dry run is concerned that will be tough.

That's where your roving assistant comes in. Have them report to you between the first couple of numbers on levels, tone, and balance among instruments and vocals, make the appropriate adjustments, and you'll have it as good as it's going to get.

Or, if the audience is paying attention and it feels right, ask for comments from them. You will know who knows what they're talking about. (Hint: It's NOT the one asking for "more cowbell".)

R.

Ryszard #27798 06/30/09 01:18 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I do not recommend asking the audience over the mic for their opinion about sound levels AT. ALL.

--Mac

Mac #27799 06/30/09 02:34 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
50 people = 50 opinions all different! Remember the three bears and goldielocks

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185