Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Herb, all your many skills are on full display with this one. Maybe your best write. Certainly your best vocal. A polished mix and great editing of the real tracks. This all adds up to a winner. ( very small, tiny, barely even noticeable nit- I would have changed the word "growing" to "grows". Flows a little better with one less syllable. Without question my favorite of yours so far. Tom

Tommy, yes... I agree.... I did in fact play around with that line... it was one of the ones that was changed from something totally different the morning I was recording it...I had to go back and punch 2 tracks to make the change.... and the "ing" was something I pondered....I even considered would "weeds" work better than "grass"... grow vs growing.... thanks for noticing the nits..... it's in the details of something that really either makes it shine or not.

This write was one of the more satisfying writes I have done in quite a while.

The vocals.... thank you...I rarely ever spend a lot of time on vocals. I basically sing a scratch, mainly as a guide for my production chops.....and once I have the phrasing and lyrics like I want them, I will delete the track totally and record the keeper. This vocal was, I think the second full take on the keeper.... then I punched in some changes the second and final day.... I record the BGV's and HVT's the same way...except they are generally one shot, first take and it's done recordings. I do not punch (generally) the BGV ...and there's no corrections. The lead vox does get minor treatment by melodyne.

For those who don't know how I normally record my vox..... the lead is up the center. The 2 lead duplicate tracks are -18db to -22db down and panned 100% Left and Right respectively. The 2 harmony tracks are done the same.... except they are only about -14db below the lead. Slight reverb in the vocal bus.

thank you for listening and commenting.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/09/15 04:28 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

A lot of good stuff in this. One of your best vocals.
A good classic country production.

As others have noted, there is a lot of high eq to the mix that gives it a "brittleness" that you don't usually do. It lacks the "warmth" that your productions typically have.

Best writing I've heard from you. Good imagery. It would be nice if you smoothed a couple of "bumps".
A bunch of places where there are more syllables than fit comfortably into your melody. Some are easily fixed by eliminating unnecessary words or changing the wording slightly. Tom's suggestion on "growing" is a good one...another example...

"There's tape on the windows and an old weathered sign"
would sing more smoothly as
"Tape on the windows, an old weathered sign"

"for eternity" (drop ""all")

"A padlock is rusting..." could be "A padlock, rusting...hangs on the door"

Substituting "Our small towns" for "The small towns" would make it more personal - involve your audience...

The chorus and third verse are strong (you could drop "those" in front of flat-screens)

Cool that you've hit #1 in Christian Country.

Good job on this.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Herb,

A lot of good stuff in this. One of your best vocals.
A good classic country production.

As others have noted, there is a lot of high eq to the mix that gives it a "brittleness" that you don't usually do. It lacks the "warmth" that your productions typically have.

Best writing I've heard from you. Good imagery. It would be nice if you smoothed a couple of "bumps".
A bunch of places where there are more syllables than fit comfortably into your melody. Some are easily fixed by eliminating unnecessary words or changing the wording slightly. Tom's suggestion on "growing" is a good one...another example...

"There's tape on the windows and an old weathered sign"
would sing more smoothly as
"Tape on the windows, an old weathered sign"

"for eternity" (drop ""all")

"A padlock is rusting..." could be "A padlock, rusting...hangs on the door"

Substituting "Our small towns" for "The small towns" would make it more personal - involve your audience...

The chorus and third verse are strong (you could drop "those" in front of flat-screens)

Cool that you've hit #1 in Christian Country.

Good job on this.

floyd

Floyd, you gave me lots of things to consider...

So I fired up the DAW....and loaded this project. I edited the high end on the EQ a bit..... and I punched in a few places..... as well as muting a word here and there..... just the easy changes..... I also edited the ending envelopes a bit to change a few things there as well.

The new version is now in the place of the old one..... the highs are tamed a bit more....hopefully without losing the space and air....

Floyd.... thanks for the feedback and for listening and commenting in detail.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Just wow again! I listened to the new version and the flow and lyrics are Perfect! This is truly a great song. I don't care what might be in fashion a great song holds its own in any era.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

I have just had a listen to the second version. Wow! It's great! The sound is so much fuller and I found it much much more aurally engaging. This song is real credit to you. It beams with confidence and competence.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb,

Great song and good lyrics!
It's the same over here. I (Anne-Marie) live in the country too. More and more shops close, as well as primary schools.
We also use 3/4 tracks sometimes when it should be 4/4 and indeed, sometimes it works.

The piano at the end also works fine.

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
History repeats itself.

I remember in the late 70s when industry was leaving the rust belt and moving south to escape the unions. Billy Joel's ALLENTOWN told a very similar story of that area's decline.

For the next 30 years the south prospered with the influx of jobs... but history repeats itself, and the manufacturing started moving south of the border to get lower wages. Add the problem of corporate stores coming in like carpetbaggers and sucking potential income away from the local retail sector who might have found a niche if they had just stayed away. But they didn't.

Both times in both places it was the small towns that relied on one or two main industries and a lot of supporting small businesses that felt the effects first. In those places the loss of one company could potentially trickle down to the whole community. And it eventually did. Without new money coming in from outside, there's only so long you can recirculate the same money from business to business.

I like the honesty of this song, and the fact that you didn't pull any punches. Your lyrics were very well written, saying just what needed saying and nothing more or less. You're really good at this Herb. I'd say I enjoyed it, but the topic of economic decline has affected me for too long, and I'm tired of it. I wish it would go away, but it never will.

You sure did an excellent job of describing it though. I just wish the song wasn't necessary.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
It's fabulous Herb. My idea of country. I could listen to it over and over.
Love the super sparse bass and the way the backing cradles the lyrics and voice.
Missed version 1 but don't expect to hear more enjoyable country than this for a good while. Cheers.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice Herb. My Aunt Daisy ran a store like that in a
S GA town with a dirt main street. Old men chewing and
whittling all the time on the store benches.

Growing up in the 50's really allows me to relate to your
lyric as I remember so much before it deteriorated into
your vivid images.

I didn't hear the version before you made the changes
but this mix sounds strong on my monitors. Your vocal
deliver captures the feel and so do the supporting
instruments and mix.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lots of folks must be listening...... What a cool thing to wake up and see....!!!

» highest in charts: # 1 (66,147 songs currently listed in Country)
» highest in sub-genre: # 1 (8,446 songs currently listed in Country > Christian Country) » today's position: # 1 in Country
» today's position in sub-genre: # 1 in Christian Country

This is the first song I've written that's ever done this....and in 2 days.

THANK YOU EVERYONE.... for listening....

Too bad it's not the Billboard Charts...

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Herb,

Great song and good lyrics!
It's the same over here. I (Anne-Marie) live in the country too. More and more shops close, as well as primary schools.
We also use 3/4 tracks sometimes when it should be 4/4 and indeed, sometimes it works.

The piano at the end also works fine.

Rob and Anne-Marie

I think it's likely a worldwide issue in the first world countries.... Yeah... using the 4/4 B3 was more of an experiment and a slightly desperate act... but it worked out fine. You never know until you try something.....

Thanks for listening

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
History repeats itself.

I remember in the late 70s when industry was leaving the rust belt and moving south to escape the unions. Billy Joel's ALLENTOWN told a very similar story of that area's decline.

For the next 30 years the south prospered with the influx of jobs... but history repeats itself, and the manufacturing started moving south of the border to get lower wages. Add the problem of corporate stores coming in like carpetbaggers and sucking potential income away from the local retail sector who might have found a niche if they had just stayed away. But they didn't.

Both times in both places it was the small towns that relied on one or two main industries and a lot of supporting small businesses that felt the effects first. In those places the loss of one company could potentially trickle down to the whole community. And it eventually did. Without new money coming in from outside, there's only so long you can recirculate the same money from business to business.

I like the honesty of this song, and the fact that you didn't pull any punches. Your lyrics were very well written, saying just what needed saying and nothing more or less. You're really good at this Herb. I'd say I enjoyed it, but the topic of economic decline has affected me for too long, and I'm tired of it. I wish it would go away, but it never will.

You sure did an excellent job of describing it though. I just wish the song wasn't necessary.

Thanks Pat for the interesting observations..... yes... so sad, but time goes on like they say and we somehow adapt and survive. It's sad to see a way of life being snuffed out for a dollar though.

The hardware store here that closed was a handy place to grab a plumbing pipe connector or some seed for the garden. Of course, it cost a few cents more than the big box in town.... but you'd spend 10x the extra cost in gas to get there to save that small amount.... but one stop shopping won out in the end.

Thank you for the kind words about my writing.... much appreciated.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
It's fabulous Herb. My idea of country. I could listen to it over and over.
Love the super sparse bass and the way the backing cradles the lyrics and voice.
Missed version 1 but don't expect to hear more enjoyable country than this for a good while. Cheers.

My type of music too Rich.... and I do listen to it over and over.... I still am in awe of the amazing job the real tracks can do.... the piano especially simply blows me away..... with the fills in it from square one....

You mentioned the bass. In my OP, I said there was a ton of detail work in this.... you nailed one of the tracks that has a bunch of detail in it. This was not the original bass track that came with the style. I changed it several days into the project due to "nits" I had and couldn't seem to fix in the original. Even this one had issues. I ended up doing quite a bit of audio editing to get this track to do what I wanted. There were some "busy" runs that didn't sound good that I needed to edit out..... waaa laaa....

The first version..... for those who didn't hear it.... had a much more pronounced high end.... lots of cymbal range freqs that were just a few db too high... crisp is good, but this was a bit too much....I dropped the highs just a few db from 1200hz and up.... and a few words were changed... not much different from this version.

Thanks Rich

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Very nice Herb. My Aunt Daisy ran a store like that in a
S GA town with a dirt main street. Old men chewing and
whittling all the time on the store benches.

Growing up in the 50's really allows me to relate to your
lyric as I remember so much before it deteriorated into
your vivid images.

I didn't hear the version before you made the changes
but this mix sounds strong on my monitors. Your vocal
deliver captures the feel and so do the supporting
instruments and mix.

We enjoyed it.

J&B

Thanks Janice & Bud.... glad you liked this song and took the time to listen. As I said in the last post, the changes were minor between the first and this one....

For us who grew up in the 50's and 60's..... yes the changes are quite vivid. I hate that my children and especially the grand kids when they come will not be able to experience this. Now days.... a certain restaurant chain on the interstates and the occasional mountain store that advertises like a tourist attraction are the closest many will ever come to knowing what we, the older folks, knew as an everyday experience growing up.

I do have a few other songs that reach back and try to grab that long lost time and put it into song.....

Again...thanks for listening and commenting.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Gruverider and Noel, thanks for coming back and having a go at the second version.....

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The changes were a huge improvement. Good job on that.
More than minor, I'd say

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The changes were a huge improvement. Good job on that.
More than minor, I'd say

Thanks for coming back and listening again.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Lots of folks must be listening...... What a cool thing to wake up and see....!!!

» highest in sub-genre: # 1 (8,446 songs currently listed in Country > Christian Country) » today's position: # 1 in Country

Herb, why don't you offer it up to some radio stations for air play. Who knows?

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Herb, why don't you offer it up to some radio stations for air play. Who knows?

There are very few radio stations left that actually would allow airtime to a "local" non-record company released song. 20 years ago, that might have been possible....air time is just too valuable a commodity.

I do have it submitted for review to NSAI.... I should hear something from them in a week or two.... I will doing what I can to get it into the hands of the powers that be.... One never knows what will happen when NSAI hears it..... they have recommended songs in the past that have become radio hits....we'll see.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

congratulations, Herb! You deserve it!
and screw the billboard charts... all they say is which songs have been most heavily promoted by the studios. Your numbers come directly from the people.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,468
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195