Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#279629 01/12/15 09:47 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ok here goes. First ever (part) song posted here, so please be gentle!

Song to Mum

Note: This is a couple of excerpts from the song adding up to about 5 mins. The second excerpts starts at around 3 min 55 seconds. See details below for an explanation why the whole song isn’t here.

I had the tune ready pretty quickly but have been writing the lyrics for a couple of months. I decided to bring in BIAB to help with the backing track and speed that side of things up. I have written a few songs over the years but nothing major. In the last year I have been recording lots of covers in Sonar to get up to speed with using it. The question was - what to write for my first major song?

So I decided to write a song about and dedicated to my Mum who is 88 and still going strong. I captured many of my own memories and ideas and also from my three sisters and, of course, from Mum. I decided to write it in chronological order so the song progresses from her birth through to current times.

It starts with a small extract of Chopin (Nocturne No9) as this was a piece that she used to play on piano and practice ballet to. I took the first 15 bars of a MIDI file of this and transposed it up a semitone from Eb to E to match the rest of the song. I have not included it here in case of copyright problems (does anyone know if it would be ok?).

I haven’t posted the whole song here for a number of reasons:-
- It isn’t finished and is already 15 minutes long but will be close to 20 minutes when finished. I guess there are a lot of memories for someone who is 88!
- It is obviously quite a personal song and many of the memories won’t mean much to anyone other than me, my Mum and close family.
- Because of the above it might become boring to other listeners so an excerpt seemed more appropriate. I have posted the first 4 minutes and the break later on in the song.

It’s a rough mix as I am still deaf in my left ear after getting an infection at Christmas.

Here’s the info about the song:
****** Song Summary *************
Key=E , Tempo 68 bpm
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Style is =BAL85_F.STY (Ctry Bal., fpk guit. (85 RT))
BassCustom Synth is Hi-Q 034 01 Bass, Electric, 61 Classic SampleTank.tgs
PianoCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 050 01 Strings, Ensemble, Movie SampleTank.tgs
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34), Acoustic Piano (1), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in style: ~~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

****** Other tracks added in Sonar ***********
- Chopin Intro from MIDI file (not present in excerpt)
- Vocals – need some rework in places due to having a cold
- Electric Guitar solo (around 3m 40s)
- Electric Guitar backing (from 3m 24s)
- French Horns backing (from 3m 24s)
- Piccolo between verse and chorus
- SFX – Air raid noises, speech, bombing

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
receder #279657 01/12/15 11:07 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really pretty music!! So well conceived and arranged. Very 70's vibe-that's my era. How did you do the vocal processing? I just love the feel. I would love to hear more. Beautiful music!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really pretty music!! So well conceived and arranged. Very 70's vibe-that's my era. How did you do the vocal processing? I just love the feel. I would love to hear more. Beautiful music!! Take care. Greg

Greg said it all. We enjoyed it.

And....yep, what's on the vocal?
It has a very airy feel that doesn't
always work. But for this song
We really like it.

Touching tribute!

J&B

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thanks Greg, your comments are much appreciated. I had the chord progression in my head for ages and thought there was a song in there somewhere but the 70's vibe happened by accident. I'm glad you like the vocal sound. I recorded them using my AKG D5 mic through the Boss BR-800 into Sonar on my PC. I used Melodyne to create the harmony and doubling and Sonitus reverb (I love the sound of this reverb). On the chorus I used the Sonitus delay to create the beat sync'd echo and give it some width. I also added a touch of ProChannel EQ, PC4K S Bus compressor to glue it all together.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Greg said it all. We enjoyed it.

And....yep, what's on the vocal?
It has a very airy feel that doesn't
always work. But for this song
We really like it.

Touching tribute!

J&B

Thanks a lot Janice and Bud, it's great to receive positive comments from such highly respected song writers and singers on here. I did think I had gone over the top with the vocal sound but I wanted some warmth and lightness and it seemed to fit with the backing track. I'm hoping that Mum will like it too smile

Thanks folks for your positive feedback.

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
receder #279684 01/12/15 02:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rec,

beautiful music. Great concept.
The guitar solo is awesome. Is that your's?
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

receder #279699 01/12/15 02:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wonderful tribute to your mother. The best thing is she is still here to enjoy the tribute. The vocal production is reminiscent of early works by Randy VanWarmer. The music production is superb.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
boehm #279704 01/12/15 03:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

What an entrance! Beautiful!

A great flow to the music. The vocal processing is really nice. So is the vocal itself...
Terrific mix. I thought the drums were just a hair soft - a little too far back, so it might be a reverb that is setting them back (but just very slightly).

And Man! NICE guitar work!!!

I can't wait to hear the 20 minute version (how about some lyrics when you do?...)

floyd

receder #279709 01/12/15 03:21 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Receder,
This is music that I relate to...
Great vocals, and what a guitar solo! Nothing wrong with a concept of 20 minutes. If it's ok with copyright I'd love to hear the whole song.
By the way... loved Catweazle back in 1970!
Grtz
Fred

receder #279722 01/12/15 05:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tune. Here a little David Gilmour there. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
receder #279758 01/13/15 03:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great first post! I like the concept and it is a great tribute. Super guitar solo. Very well sung. I think the mix is good but as floyd said the drums could come up some. Also a lyric sheet would be nice. I really enjoyed this and look forward to more. Tom

tommyad #279763 01/13/15 03:33 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Rec,
beautiful music. Great concept.
The guitar solo is awesome. Is that your's?
Very enjoyable listen.
Guenter

Thanks very much Guenter. Yes it's my solo. I used my Peavey AT-200 in modeled humbucker mode through the BR-800 using the "smooth lead" patch and recorded directly into Sonar. I used this method - record a few "improvised jammed solos" and cherry pick the best bits which I then learn and then re-record that.

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Wonderful tribute to your mother. The best thing is she is still here to enjoy the tribute. The vocal production is reminiscent of early works by Randy VanWarmer. The music production is superb.

Thanks for your kind words Jim. That's a very good point and it's what spurred me on to get the song finished soon. Very kind of you to compare my voice to Randy VanWarmer - if only! Always loved "Just when I needed you most" - but what a range he has!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rec,
What an entrance! Beautiful!

A great flow to the music. The vocal processing is really nice. So is the vocal itself...
Terrific mix. I thought the drums were just a hair soft - a little too far back, so it might be a reverb that is setting them back (but just very slightly).

And Man! NICE guitar work!!!

I can't wait to hear the 20 minute version (how about some lyrics when you do?...)
floyd

Floyd, very kind words of encouragement. Thank you. I agree about the drums and actually think you may be correct regarding the reverb. One of the downsides I found from using the drums RT from BIAB in Sonar is that you don't have anywhere near as much control over the sound as you would using, say, the Addictive Drums VSTi plugin with each percussion instrument on separate tracks. I will see if I can improve it with some tweaking.

Originally Posted By: FredM
Hi Receder,
This is music that I relate to...
Great vocals, and what a guitar solo! Nothing wrong with a concept of 20 minutes. If it's ok with copyright I'd love to hear the whole song.
By the way... loved Catweazle back in 1970!
Grtz
Fred

Lol Fred, glad you remember Catweazle. They don't make them like that any more. Thanks also for your kind comments. I haven't yet found out whether a MIDI piano extract of a classical piece played on a piano plugin (SampleTank 3) would infringe any copyright. No person is actually playing it but maybe Chopin's relatives have copyright over the notes being played?

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune. Here a little David Gilmour there. Well done

Thank you Scott. Funny you should mention Dave Gilmour. The last cover I recorded was Comfortably Numb and he is undoubtedly one of my heroes. The challenge would be to come up with a 2nd solo in my song to come anywhere close to the one in Comfortably Numb.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Great first post! I like the concept and it is a great tribute. Super guitar solo. Very well sung. I think the mix is good but as floyd said the drums could come up some. Also a lyric sheet would be nice. I really enjoyed this and look forward to more. Tom

Thank you Tommy, much appreciated. I will definitely look into the drums. I am still working on some of the lyrics and changing bits here and there all the time but will post them when finished.

receder #281645 01/23/15 05:10 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: receder

It starts with a small extract of Chopin (Nocturne No9) as this was a piece that she used to play on piano and practice ballet to. I took the first 15 bars of a MIDI file of this and transposed it up a semitone from Eb to E to match the rest of the song. I have not included it here in case of copyright problems (does anyone know if it would be ok?).

IMHO you shouldn't worry about copyrights. Chopin's works are in the public domain.
I liked everything in your song, waiting for the completed piece.

receder #281665 01/23/15 10:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rec,

Welcome to the forum.

Stunning! Such a beautiful piece of music. Considering you only bought BIAB/RB in December, you've done really, really well to come so far. As floyd said, "what a great entrance!"

This is a wonderful tribute to your mum.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
receder #281668 01/24/15 12:06 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

That is a masterpiece.

The Churchill quote was inspired and then the solo, which was perfect for the break.
WOW what a way to introduce yourself musically.

I wrote a 3 minute song for my Mum, which she sadly never heard due to medical events, but this is a real tribute.

I would love to hear the full final version.

Alyn

gibson #281669 01/24/15 12:34 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: sfiks

IMHO you shouldn't worry about copyrights. Chopin's works are in the public domain.
I liked everything in your song, waiting for the completed piece.

Thanks sfiks, I am just about to upload the latest version including the Chopin intro.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Rec,

Welcome to the forum.

Stunning! This is such a beautiful piece of music. Considering you only bought BIAB/RB in December, you've done really, really well to come so far. As floyd said, "what a great entrance!"

This is such a wonderful tribute to your mum.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your very kind words. It's the good folk here such as yourself that spurred me on to buy BIAB and I am so glad that I did. It's so inspiring as a song writing tool.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Rec,

That is a masterpiece.

The Churchill quote was inspired and then the solo, which was perfect for the break.
WOW what a way to introduce yourself musically.

I wrote a 3 minute song for my Mum, which she sadly never heard due to medical events, but this is a real tribute.

I would love to hear the full final version.

Alyn

Wow, thanks Alyn. That's a true compliment coming from such a gifted songwriter as yourself.
So sorry to hear about your tribute song which your Mum never got to hear.
I am just uploading a new version to Soundcloud although it is still unfinished at just over 13 minutes.

Rec

Last edited by receder; 01/24/15 09:02 AM.

receder #281671 01/24/15 12:52 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I cannot see any way to edit my first post (there is no Edit button available) so here is the link to the latest version of the song...

Song to Mum (Latest Lyrics)

I took Floyd and Tommy's suggestion of bringing the drums more forward in the mix (I had actually sent them to an effects bus with reverb by mistake so well spotted).

receder #281674 01/24/15 01:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As others have said, love the feel of this - very cool 70s vibe. Great mix as well.

Bob

rsdean #281677 01/24/15 03:15 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rsdean
As others have said, love the feel of this - very cool 70s vibe. Great mix as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

Rec

receder #281736 01/24/15 10:39 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I listened to the 13 min version. Super vibe going on! Definite Pink Floyd elements to my ear. I'm also a fan of the vocal you have affected; it works well with this song.

much enjoyed!

receder #281755 01/24/15 12:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Receder,

We are very impressed by your first contribution!
It has some very strong resemblances with the early Pink Floyd (the verse vocal sounds like Richard Wright, the Chorus sounds like David Gilmour).
We listened to the 13 minute version (which is kind of long by the way :)) and we loved the total arrangement, including parts of Churchill's speech. This song definitely represents the feel and sound of the 70's/80's era.

And about using Chopin.... you can use any work of classical composers completely royalty free. We've done it a couple of times. Bare in mind the following:
In America the artist has to be expired at least a hundred years, in Europe seventy years. The same goes for painters etc. (should you ever want to use pictures of paintings in your video's)

Keep up the good work!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

RnAM #281800 01/25/15 12:44 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: gruverider
I listened to the 13 min version. Super vibe going on! Definite Pink Floyd elements to my ear. I'm also a fan of the vocal you have affected; it works well with this song.

much enjoyed!

Many thanks gruverider, I guess I have been listening to Pink Floyd so much that their sound has influenced me somewhat.

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Hi Receder,

We are very impressed by your first contribution!
It has some very strong resemblances with the early Pink Floyd (the verse vocal sounds like Richard Wright, the Chorus sounds like David Gilmour).
We listened to the 13 minute version (which is kind of long by the way :)) and we loved the total arrangement, including parts of Churchill's speech. This song definitely represents the feel and sound of the 70's/80's era.

And about using Chopin.... you can use any work of classical composers completely royalty free. We've done it a couple of times. Bare in mind the following:
In America the artist has to be expired at least a hundred years, in Europe seventy years. The same goes for painters etc. (should you ever want to use pictures of paintings in your video's)

Keep up the good work!

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thank you very much for your kind words Rob and Anne-Marie. It's very encouraging when accomplished songwriters/musicians such as yourselves, gruverider and others give such positive feedback.

Thanks also for the clarification on the use of classical work and paintings.

I'm surprised when people can sit it out for the whole 13 minutes as the lyrics and song are really only going to be meaningful to my mum or close family, but thank you for persevering. I estimate that it will be around 18 minutes when finished.

Rec

receder #281808 01/25/15 01:20 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Receder,
Listening to the long version now. Indeed I hear the Waters influence to, though it's sung in a Gilmour way, and well sung. Oh, here comes the solo, beautiful! I'm a huge PF fan, you did them proud, as you did your mum. This is not to long at all, the length makes it sink in more.
Hope to hear many more of you
Greetings
Fred

Last edited by FredM; 01/25/15 01:21 AM.
receder #281849 01/25/15 05:42 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks very much Fred, your kind words are much appreciated.

Rec

receder #281970 01/25/15 05:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool vocal effect. Pretty arrangement. And as others have said already cool 70's concept album influence. Wonderful idea for tribute to your mother. Shorter segments would be nice for those of us with short attention spans. Are you doing a video with this? That might lend itself to the long segments.

Pretty.

Josie

receder #281974 01/25/15 07:13 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Rec.
Held my attention for an enjoyable 13 minutes.
Epic work.
Would look forward to seeing the lyrics.
Liked it being a bit bass heavy.
Cheers.

receder #282001 01/26/15 03:16 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Listened to the 13 minute version. Loved the concept and it's as you say, this song has a meaning that transcends the normal song 'rules' and the length is no longer an issue. This is well thought out and brilliantly executed so far. I would caution you to be careful in this project that you don't become over consumed so that details overtake your concept. There's a lot of details in a lifespan of 88 years. You're on a journey but you need to know your destination and clear notion of how you want to end the project.

This is a perfect song for a video. Although you haven't intended this to be a commercial project, and it's personal and unique to your Mum, there is a lot of details and imagery that is quite universal and appealing to the general population. Set to proper video sequences, this would be a very appealing mini documentary.

Nice work.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Cool vocal effect. Pretty arrangement. And as others have said already cool 70's concept album influence. Wonderful idea for tribute to your mother. Shorter segments would be nice for those of us with short attention spans. Are you doing a video with this? That might lend itself to the long segments.

Pretty.

Josie

Thanks Josie for your positive and useful comments. Funny you should mention a video as I have been thinking about doing one. I have quite a lot of family photos and some even going back to my Mum's childhood. I also have some OK cine footage which has been transferred to video. A mixture of photo montage and video would seem appropriate. Of course it would take a lot of time to put together so I might do it as "version 2" once I have completely finished the song itself.

Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Rec.
Held my attention for an enjoyable 13 minutes.
Epic work.
Would look forward to seeing the lyrics.
Liked it being a bit bass heavy.
Cheers.

Thanks RichMac for your kind comments and well spotted with the bass. I tweaked the EQ a bit in this version although I might have overdone... I am still a bit deaf in one ear after getting an ear infection at Christmas (and I have another cold so I cannot add any more vocals until it's gone). I will post the lyrics when I think they are final.

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Listened to the 13 minute version. Loved the concept and it's as you say, this song has a meaning that transcends the normal song 'rules' and the length is no longer an issue. This is well thought out and brilliantly executed so far. I would caution you to be careful in this project that you don't become over consumed so that details overtake your concept. There's a lot of details in a lifespan of 88 years. You're on a journey but you need to know your destination and clear notion of how you want to end the project.

This is a perfect song for a video. Although you haven't intended this to be a commercial project, and it's personal and unique to your Mum, there is a lot of details and imagery that is quite universal and appealing to the general population. Set to proper video sequences, this would be a very appealing mini documentary.

Nice work.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for taking the time to listen. I appreciate your input and you are right about having a clear notion of how to end the song. I have had so many "breaks from singing" due to colds/chest infections etc, and lyric changes due to suggestions from my family that I still haven't properly planned the ending. I have a song map which I used in the first instance to plan the song but I need to finish that before I record anything else. Also, thanks for the suggestion of a video and I like the idea of it being almost a mini documentary.

Thanks again for all the comments and creative ideas. This place is like a goldmine for songwriters and musicians.

Rec

receder #283013 02/02/15 05:54 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I have now finished the song! At least I think I have.

Latest Version: Song to Mum

It is just over 17 minutes long so for those who do not want to listen all the way through again here are some of the main timings in the song...

3m 10s: Churchill
7m 40s: 1st guitar solo
12m 39s: Break (same chords as 1st guitar solo)
14m 30s: Last verse (extra string staccatos, tremolando strings and choir voices)
15m 28s: End Guitar solo to fade

Next I am working on a video to accompany it but it's going to take some time to gather together all of the photos and videos and arrange them sensibly.

Last edited by receder; 02/02/15 08:39 AM.

receder #283062 02/02/15 12:09 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I did listen to the 17 minute version and although it is a long song it keep me interested all the way through. Very nice chord structure here.

Along with a super mix and vocal your guitar work here is outstanding.

PS - I don't think I have listened to a song this long since Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
receder #283070 02/02/15 01:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

Wow. Quite an undertaking... It sounds terrific.

Nice job on the drums, btw... they sound good.

Very tasty guitar work in the middle and at the end.
You did a nice job of keeping the sound consistent from beginning to end. I would have liked to see a lyric to follow along...

I do hope people will find 17 minutes to have a listen to this.
It's impressive. What does the family think?

floyd

floyd jane #283118 02/03/15 01:35 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I did listen to the 17 minute version and although it is a long song it keep me interested all the way through. Very nice chord structure here.

Along with a super mix and vocal your guitar work here is outstanding.

PS - I don't think I have listened to a song this long since Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"!

Thanks Mario for taking the time to listen to the full version and thank you for your comments which are much appreciated. I just had a listen to Alice's Restaurant and it's quite a masterpiece!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rec,

Wow. Quite an undertaking... It sounds terrific.

Nice job on the drums, btw... they sound good.

Very tasty guitar work in the middle and at the end.
You did a nice job of keeping the sound consistent from beginning to end. I would have liked to see a lyric to follow along...

I do hope people will find 17 minutes to have a listen to this.
It's impressive. What does the family think?

floyd

Thanks Floyd for taking the time to listen and for the positive comments.
Thanks also regarding the guitar work and drum sounds.

I have some way to go to get close to your drum sound but now that I have seen the painstaking process you follow (in the This Town Ain't Big Enough thread) I can understand why you get such good results.
To be honest I felt a little constrained by the quality of the realdrums track output compared to say the Addictive Drums plugin but after playing around with the EQ in Sonar the results are OK once mixed in with the other instruments.

My Mother and Sisters all love it and there wasn't a dry eye in the house when they listened to it the other day. I will post the lyrics below this reply. I have to say that writing these was my major challenge having never written something like this before. I still look at some of the phrasing and don't like what I see but hopefully the songwriting course I have just started will help with my next song.

Thanks again,
Rec

Last edited by receder; 02/03/15 01:36 AM. Reason: typos

receder #283119 02/03/15 01:41 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here are the lyrics:

Remember all those times, those happy days?
Joyful life in oh so many ways,
Let’s see if we can reminisce and smile,
Because your life has been so worthwhile

422 Edge Lane in 26,
You were born to a happy family
Loving mother, father, sister and 3 brothers
Celebrated this glorious day

Happy childhood days, Playing piano and ballet
Medals on the mantelpiece,
Let’s celebrate and say “Cheers to you” shout “hip hooray”,
Our love for you will never fade.

Piccolo bit
Chorus 1
Mama, oh mama, hallelujah, hallelujah
Mother, our mother, no other, the paragon (or champion)

{Sound effects Air Raid sirens, Churchill speech, All Clear}

The sound of thunder filled the skies,
Our soldiers were fighting for our lives
Did your bit for King and Country
In ENSA keeping spirits high

Then enemy rockets came from on high,
There was nowhere that you could hide,
But you were strong in heart and mind
You battled through left bad times behind

As Chorus 1

Then you met your valentine
Geoffrey waltzing round in time
Dizzy in your headiness
Married soon and you were blessed

Honeymoon in Southport 49
You were smiling all the time
The photos may be black and white
But your tenderness was shining bright

{Sound effects - Children playng}

Then you had four children of your own,
Cherished us and now we’re all grown
Christine, Noella and Melanie,
Then there’s me (pause) Jeremy

Piccolo bit
As Chorus 1

Guitar Solo 1

Pebbles on the beach on holiday,
Nappy round my ears to keep the cold at bay
Hornby train set in the shop window,
So magical it was to watch it go.

And young and tiny baby Melanie
Girls poking her to wake her for a feed,
And watching mummy changing my nappy,
A boy was something that they’d never seen

Picnicing at Bodiam was fun,
Spinning cartwheels on the terrace in the sun
Aunt Eva walking backwards linking arms,
Cherished moments, now let’s all sing and dance

Piccolo bit
As Chorus 1

{Sound effects - Sleigh bells}

Salvation Army Christmas LP
Warm and cosy cups of tea
Dad’s homemade Christmas Tree
Decorated by the whole family

Marzipan and Turkish delight
Your homemade Christmas cake all gleaming white
With the angel watching from the treetop high,
And coloured lights all brightly shine

Cats and dogs we had quite a few,
Gabby, Peter, Ben and Nicky too,
They were all part of the family,
Sing out loud now sing along with me

Piccolo bit
As Chorus 1

{Break (chords as per guitar solo 1)}

Now dad’s gone to rest in peace,
He left us a lasting legacy,
Gone but not forgotten now,
Remember him and take a bow,

Stood on your feet and you were strong,
Dad would have been proud of you to carry on,
Still you are our family tower of strength,
Guiding us and helping us with common sense

We grew up fast and soon were making plans,
All successful in our own ways and with you to thank,
You’re still the focal point for everyone,
Brought together by your love

Then Peter was your companion,
The Isle of Wight became your home,
Many years of blessedness,
Once more you found happiness

So now you’re on own again its true,
But we’re never far away and always think of you,
You’re always in our hearts and in our minds,
Forever more our guiding light

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199