Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
A
Anita8 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone! I'm wondering what the best way is to listen to music from mobile devices in a car. I have huge music collections with my favourite songs on iPod, and even bought a special cable to connect it to the car radio. But the music sounds awful Any way to fix it? Also, is there any way to listen to music from USB pen drives, if the car head unit doesn't have a special USB port? Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The easiest way to get audio from your media player to your car radio is to use a fm radio transmitter. The devices plug into a +12Vdc power port for power and have a cable that plugs into your media player headphone jack to receive audio. The device broadcasts a very weak fm radio signal. Your car plays the radio like it normally does. Some of the transmitters have a permanent installation cable that don't broadcast the fm radio signal but plugs into the antenna plug of your car radio. Cost will be anywhere from $5 to $20 US. Sometimes you can find them in the electronics section of drug stores, Roses or Big Lots. I've also seen them on Amazon and eBay.

I used to frequently use one in rental cars during business travel.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Anita8
Hi everyone! I'm wondering what the best way is to listen to music from mobile devices in a car. I have huge music collections with my favourite songs on iPod, and even bought a special cable to connect it to the car radio. But the music sounds awful Any way to fix it? Also, is there any way to listen to music from USB pen drives, if the car head unit doesn't have a special USB port? Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

depends on how your audio system is set up, Anita. On my car (a Scion, built by Toyota) there is a built-in USB plug. Using it, I can play music VIA an MP3 player or by using nothing more than a thumb drive full of songs.

Also, if your car stereo has blue tooth and your phone or MP3 player has blue tooth, then you can stream directly to the stereo without cables.

It sounds like your car does NOT have a built-in USB, so you are probably using a 1/8" jack to connect the iPod's earphone jack to the stereo's AUX input. When you do this, you have to turn down the ipod's volume and let the car stereo control the volume.. otherwise the signal will be too distorted.

PS: You may see USB connections that go into a car's cigarette lighter ... these don't work the same way as the built-in USB connections, and they can't be used to stream audio from a device to the stereo. They're only good for charging batteries.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Many times, the issue is not with the gear but with the file format and the resolution of those files.

Most music on iPods is in MP3 format. People don't think twice about downloading or converting to 128kbs...and it sounds halfway decent on the cheap ear buds.... but when they play it back on a better system, the low sample rate shows. It's better to use 320kbs but waves are even better. Many mp3 players will not load waves.

I would suspect the sample rate to be a large part of the problem. I've played mp3's over a PA system and the low quality of the mp3 was very evident...and that was 320kbs.

No matter of you use a radio gizmo or a cable, the results will likely be the same. Radio will probably be worse.

How does a CD of that same song sound in the car? Assuming you have the disk and a player.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a fan of those FM transmitters. They are convenient but quality suffers badly on those I have tried. Likewise, Bluetooth sounds better but then you must leave your phone or other device plugged in, as Bluetooth will run down the battery faster. The best quality will be direct-wire into your car system, using the 1/8" to 1/8" cable as you are doing, or the USB if it is built-in to your car (which you said you do not have; the advantage there is that you can control the device from your car console).

So, since you are already using the best alternative in your situation, and you say it sounds awful, we need to examine 'awful'. Does your car stereo sound fine with FM or CDs? If it does, then try Pat's suggestion to match the volume better.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It really depends on your car. As Pat said, newer radios with some version of a "sync" system will stream your music via bluetooth. In fact mine starts streaming as soon as I start the car because my phone is paired so it can handle phone calls through the audio system. It also has an aux line in and a USB port, and that is a 2009 car, so they have been equipping cars for streaming audio for quite some time now.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
To the OP - define what sounding 'awful' means to you, as well as describe your 'special cable'.

Otherwise all of us are guessing at what might be wrong.

There are no defined rules of how loud you should set your iPhone/iPod - because there are no defined rules as to what the input specs are on the car's audio input. My iPhone 4s and now my older 'beater' iPhone 4 sounds primo at full volume. Some other portable devices (example Nook Color) need the headphone volume at full as it's the only setting where they haven't used a quantization of the audio signal (turning the volume down on the Nook is pure digital, no actual control of the analog volume).

Now, my Sansa mp3 player on the other hand has way too much output at full volume for the input on the very same radio input, and like Pat suggests, it has to be turned down or it distorts the input stage.

As for playing off of USB drives, this is becoming nearly standard on any aftermarket radios - even those you can buy at Wal-Mart. $100 will get that capability.

However, step back and think a little more about how you want to listen to music, because a Sansa Clip has a MicroSD card slot that you can load up with gigs of songs and you can go immediately from car to car-park to park to home to wherever, with just about the same convenience - if you eventually get a car radio with a USB port, then you can attach the Sansa Clip just like it's a 'pen drive' to the radio; most will see it as simply an attached storage device just like a 'pen drive'.

There's a reason the Sansa mp3 players are still around - they are one of the only legitimate alternatives to the iPod/Phone iOS devices and give users windows explorer simplicity of use.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
here are a bunch of commercially available replacement car stereos with USB, Blue tooth, SD card port etc

CLICK HERE

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I have a 500gb external USB hard drive that I bring inside, fill with my taste of the week, and plug into my car stereo. (The only caveat is that is has to be formatted as FAT32, but that may be a Ford Sync System thing.) Do you have any idea how much music 500gb (465gb usable) is? At 4 megs per song, (math in my head at 2:30am - lets see, 100 songs is 400mb, 200 songs is 800mb, 250 songs is 1gb, 250 songs times 465 usable gb) that is 116250 songs. (Someone please check that math.) That is around 113 hours of music without hearing the same song twice. For perspective, if I could drive straight through, I could go from my home town of Akron Oh to Seattle (35 hrs), then to LA (17 hrs), then to Miami (38 hrs), and back to Akron (17 hrs) and still have about 6 hours of music left. I doubt I could find 116250 songs I care to hear, but the math is fun.

Or you could just use Sirius XM satellite radio... laugh

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Eddie, Sirius XM has audio quality equivalent of about 64 kbps or worse compressed .mp3. I have seen the actual figure somewhere. It didn't used to be that way, but as they added hundreds of sports and news channels for each major metro area, the bandwidth had to be divided up and many music channels suffered.

As a result it's significantly worse audio quality than a strong broadcast FM signal.

The only music fans that I have ever met that think Sirius/XM has decent audio quality for music have existing hearing loss issues. Early on in XM history, when there were fewer channels, the quality was about on par with 128 kbps .mp3 files, but it has significantly declined as channels have been added. The internet stream for these does not suffer the same issues as it doesn't depend on feed to/from a satellite.

Off-Topic
M
M
Why don't you buy a car audio adapter? Nowadays there are plenty of them on the market with quite affordable prices. Obviously, it's much better that buying a new car head unit with USB port/Apple connector or suffer from low-quality music using ipod cable of FM-transmitter... These adapters reproduce music from practically all modern mobile devices via car stereo system with high quality sound. For example I have AUX Link, but you can search for other brands and models, just google "car audio adapter", "aux car kit", "car ipod adapter", etc.... Good Luck!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mark, welcome to the forum.

That Aux Link unit looks very flexible. It says you need a CD Changer connector. Do all car stereos come with that now?

Even with that unit or similar, I don't believe you can improve on sound that uses a direct cable, what you called the iPod cable.

------

Where is Anita, the original poster?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I'm also not a fan of those FM transmitters, tried one, but it was a cheap ebay job, maybe there is quality somewhere.

I have a sub connector and this gives me the best sound, the phone is bluetoothed in also but I find if I user this the sound quality is less good, many its the phone's fault it's an HTC one

Z

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I wouldn't blame the phone too quickly, although the quality of Bluetooth implementation does vary. More likely, you are not happy with it because a Bluetooth signal uses compression. This becomes worse if you are transmitting a compressed file such as .MP3 or .WMA, as compressing an already compressed audio file leads to more audible artifacts. In addition, because it is radio, and very low power radio at that, it is subject to interference from other devices in the 2.4 GHz band like your wireless phones, microwave ovens, etc.
There is even a relatively new source of potential interference: USB 3.0.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I wouldn't blame the phone too quickly, although the quality of Bluetooth implementation does vary. More likely, you are not happy with it because a Bluetooth signal uses compression. This becomes worse if you are transmitting a compressed file such as .MP3 or .WMA, as compressing an already compressed audio file leads to more audible artifacts. In addition, because it is radio, and very low power radio at that, it is subject to interference from other devices in the 2.4 GHz band like your wireless phones, microwave ovens, etc.
There is even a relatively new source of potential interference: USB 3.0.

Thank you Matt, I know very little about this sort if stuff..

Last edited by ZeroZero; 01/12/15 09:41 AM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
interesting thread though!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rockstar_not
The only music fans that I have ever met that think Sirius/XM has decent audio quality for music have existing hearing loss issues.

To be honest Scott, if you take your index finger and place it against your thumb, that's how much I am concerned about audio quality in my car. My car is to get me fro point A to point B, not be looking for concert hall quality sound for the 7 minutes I am in my car. Not everybody is an audiologist like you. I rarely listen to music. Sometimes when I am cleaning house I play Pandora on my TV, but I HATE today's music so much I never listen to any of it, so Pandora day is Todd Rundgren, Tower of Power, Average White Band, etc.....

I never understood people spending thousands to put esoteric audio equipment in their car. The best thing on Sirius is the comedy channels anyway.

How about we answer the question, which was about iPod?

2. Send it to us.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

sounds like your preferred Pandora channel is the same as mine!

well, actually I have a channel for my favorites in many different genres... but that's ONE of 'em!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've got a Parrot bluetooth device in the car. It takes an sd card and it plays through the car stereo. I CANNOT fault the playback quality, very reasonabley priced as well

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: furry
I've got a Parrot bluetooth device in the car. It takes an sd card and it plays through the car stereo. I CANNOT fault the playback quality, very reasonabley priced as well

http://parrotbluetooth.co/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,092
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185