Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Herb, old friend, i have watch your journey for quite a while now, and i just have to say that you write very exceptional music. i have enjoyed many of your songs over the years. "Footsteps in the hall" is a personal fav. "Missing person" another good 'un. This one sets right in there. Well done, very full sounding and rich. I guess the best compliment i can offer is that your songs inspire me to write. I just wish i had your writing skills you say things well. Another artist here that i really enjoy is Floyd Jane, and i put your offings right there with his. Not to say there are not others here that are good, but to me you two stand out. From the early days over at MC it's been a fun ride!

Keep it up. Rob

Last edited by Robh; 01/11/15 08:05 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi guitarhacker really enjoyed this nice write vocal great choice of instruments mixed very well thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Dang, I listened to this a couple days ago, but somehow didn't comment.

Really, really good.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The changes were a huge improvement. Good job on that.
More than minor, I'd say

I listened to V2, couldn't agree more!

We've got some great advisors on board, don't we?

G

F

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robh
Herb, old friend, i have watch your journey for quite a while now, and i just have to say that you write very exceptional music. i have enjoyed many of your songs over the years. "Footsteps in the hall" is a personal fav. "Missing person" another good 'un. This one sets right in there. Well done, very full sounding and rich. I guess the best compliment i can offer is that your songs inspire me to write. I just wish i had your writing skills you say things well. Another artist here that i really enjoy is Floyd Jane, and i put your offings right there with his. Not to say there are not others here that are good, but to me you two stand out. From the early days over at MC it's been a fun ride!

Keep it up. Rob

The old days at MC... those were some heady days.....tons of fun and we sure learned some things over there about recording well with minimal software.

Man, I'm almost speechless on the comments.... It's really touching to know that my writing inspires you to write..... thank you.

I played "Footsteps" at a live mic night some time back with another writer (NSAI Raleigh chapter member and a few other writers) After we left the stage, my friend's pop was there and could not stop talking about "footsteps"... obviously, he liked it a lot too. It's also one of my favs.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi guitarhacker really enjoyed this nice write vocal great choice of instruments mixed very well thanks for sharing eric

Thanks... music ..... well most of it , is meant to be shared. thanks for listening and commenting

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
Dang, I listened to this a couple days ago, but somehow didn't comment.

Really, really good.

don't think twice about it... I do the same thing too.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

FredM #279543 01/12/15 02:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: FredM
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
The changes were a huge improvement. Good job on that.
More than minor, I'd say

I listened to V2, couldn't agree more!

We've got some great advisors on board, don't we?

G

F

Yes...we have several really good writers here who are willing to jump in and point out issues that they see.

Often, many things are subjective and more than one path is possible..... other places, the advice is the answer that just wouldn't come during the writing stage.....

I certainly appreciate all comments. Whether I take the advice or not, the advice gets me to look at things in a different way, which is always a good thing.

Thanks

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Great tune thanks! Good story telling ... that's the great thing about country music. smile Love the way you used the fiddle solo to make the key transition.

Last edited by Joe Ramsay; 01/12/15 04:54 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

As always I'm late to the party so I'm not sure if I'm listening to version 1 or 2 but I can tell you the version I'm listening to was uploaded Jan.9, 2015.

There's a lot to like about this song. I like the subject of the lyrics and your vocal delivery. The production sounds clear and punchy. I like the short mandolin solo then the longer fiddle solo with modulation.

You've mentioned in the past how you'll take multiple RealTrack instrument tracks and edit them together to make your fills and solos. If you did so in this case, I hope you'll expound on that topic some more because the fiddle solo especially sounds like a performance recorded just for this song.

I'm fairly sure you were looking for a punchy sound, and you achieved that goal, yet I wonder if the song would have been better served if you used a more "classic country" flatter equalization with a fairly steep 12K or 12.5K roll-off at the top.

I agree with you that the song has more of a 6/8 than 3/4 feel to it.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Herb,

As always I'm late to the party so I'm not sure if I'm listening to version 1 or 2 but I can tell you the version I'm listening to was uploaded Jan.9, 2015.

There's a lot to like about this song. I like the subject of the lyrics and your vocal delivery. The production sounds clear and punchy. I like the short mandolin solo then the longer fiddle solo with modulation.

You've mentioned in the past how you'll take multiple RealTrack instrument tracks and edit them together to make your fills and solos. If you did so in this case, I hope you'll expound on that topic some more because the fiddle solo especially sounds like a performance recorded just for this song.

I'm fairly sure you were looking for a punchy sound, and you achieved that goal, yet I wonder if the song would have been better served if you used a more "classic country" flatter equalization with a fairly steep 12K or 12.5K roll-off at the top.

I agree with you that the song has more of a 6/8 than 3/4 feel to it.

Well, you know what they say, better late than never.

This is V2.

Jim.... on the production... here's how I approach it. I render out the tracks for the instruments I want to use from Real Band and load them into SONAR. One of the first things I then do is insert volume envelopes in ALL tracks and pull everything down to zero except the drums, bass, and acoustic guitars.

I "try on" different tracks... to see what works best for the intro.... will one instrument do the job or should I split it between 2.... same thing applies to the fills... do I want fills here and if so what instrument.... and would something else sound better there? On the solo, it's pretty much the same decision process. Mostly based on feel or intuition. Nothing in this process is necessarily wrong or right... it's simply my vision for the song. What sounds best to me.

As I listen to the solo... or the fill, or the intro, if I hear it played with notes that don't seem to be doing the job I expect it to do...and trust me when I say that making that call is extremely subjective..... I will simply reopen Real Band.... find the same real track and render it again.

I then import it to Sonar and place it side by side with the first track....insert a volume envelope and see if the second track works better in that section than the original track did. If not... I can render again.

In this song, 2 renderings of the fiddle, dobro, and piano were needed to give me what I needed for this song. In the past I have gone up to 5 tracks.... in THE BEST CHRISTMAS...the guitar center solo is 5 tracks edited into one in Sonar. All 5 tracks were similar but had enough difference that made picking and choosing the parts like being a kid in a candy store.....

In this photo, you can see the duplicate tracks and the envelopes I used for volume control to bring instruments in and out of the mix as needed. If you look closely at the 2 fiddle tracks and compare the waves, you will be able to see the difference between them.

If you have more questions.... PM me.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 01/13/15 03:09 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Herb,

I really liked version 1 but the improvements in version 2 are well worth it.
To my ears this is pretty much a commercial quality song and production.
I'm not surprised by all the listens you are getting.

Thanks also for sharing your method for export from RB into Sonar.

In summary, the song, vocals, lyrics, instrumentation, production - it's a winner!

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: receder
Hi Herb,

I really liked version 1 but the improvements in version 2 are well worth it.
To my ears this is pretty much a commercial quality song and production.
I'm not surprised by all the listens you are getting.

Thanks also for sharing your method for export from RB into Sonar.

In summary, the song, vocals, lyrics, instrumentation, production - it's a winner!

Rec

Thank you.... version one was brighter... probably too much so since several folks mentioned it. When one person says something, it's an opinion.... when a bunch of folks mention the same thing, there's something there that needs to be looked at a bit closer.

Again, thanks for listening.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is just fantastic. Everyone from a small town can relate to this, I know that I can. Walmart has made the most all of the small businesses in three small towns around here go under.

Anyway everything about this song is super, the mix, lyrics and vocal. I can hear Willie Nelson singing this one.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
heads up: This was just posted to PGMusic's facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc?fref=nf

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
heads up: This was just posted to PGMusic's facebook page!

https://www.facebook.com/pgmusicinc?fref=nf

smile

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool tune. Excellent lyrics. All so very well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Jesus H. McChrist, "guitarhacker", your lyrics, man, your lyrics! This is what people mean when they talk about "poetry set to music". I don't think I've ever been anywhere near a town of only 300 people in my entire life, but after listening to the lyrics in your song, "Dust on the Floor", I feel like I spent at least a day in one.

I am really, truly impressed by this, "guitarhacker", and I haven't even mentioned the music. It's so nostalgic-sounding that it could bring tears to the eyes.

Do you ever take your songs "out into the world" beyond BIAB users to see what kind of response you'd get? If I had written "Dust on the Floor", man, I am tellin' you right now, I'd be knockin' on doors, hard and long, until SOMEBODY opened up, for sure. You deserve the reward that could come about as a result of the inspiration and obvious hard work you put into this song.

I agree absolutely with "MarioD" concerning hearing Willie Nelson taking a shot at this, but he dang well better turn the mike over back to you after he's crooned a verse or two, 'cuz your own vocal is inseparable from my experience of listening to this recording.

-bluage-

Last edited by bluage; 01/29/15 11:39 AM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Very cool tune. Excellent lyrics. All so very well done

thanks scott

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Jesus H. McChrist, "guitarhacker", your lyrics, man, your lyrics! This is what people mean when they talk about "poetry set to music". I don't think I've ever been anywhere near a town of only 300 people in my entire life, but after listening to the lyrics in your song, "Dust on the Floor", I feel like I spent at least a day in one.

I am really, truly impressed by this, "guitarhacker", and I haven't even mentioned the music. It's so nostalgic-sounding that it could bring tears to the eyes.

Do you ever take your songs "out into the world" beyond BIAB users to see what kind of response you'd get? If I had written "Dust on the Floor", man, I am tellin' you right now, I'd be knockin' on doors, hard and long, until SOMEBODY opened up, for sure. You deserve the reward that could come about as a result of the inspiration and obvious hard work you put into this song.

I agree absolutely with "MarioD" concerning hearing Willie Nelson taking a shot at this, but he dang well better turn the mike over back to you after he's crooned a verse or two, 'cuz your own vocal is inseparable from my experience of listening to this recording.

-bluage-

I'm humbled by your response.... wow... thanks..

Yeah, I do submit the music I write to outside sources, and this one is currently in review at NSAI in Nashville.... kinda anxious to hear what they think, although I never get my hopes up when it comes to publishers and industry folks....

Here in the forums, we have had several KILLER tunes this past year that have really good commercial potential.

www.herbhartley.com

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,447
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195