Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Excellent song, excellent writing, great selection of real tracks - the mandolin worked quite well in your mixture of instruments. Your production was crisp.

Another good song.

Musically, "i know it's over, my heart needs to break some new ground" the phrasing of 'neeeeeeeeeeeeew'seemed a bit awkward in relation to the rest of the lyrics. Having a nit over the phrasing of a single word is really saying, there aren't really any nits to fret over.

Good job and I enjoyed the listen. Charlie

Thanks, Charlie... the mandolin was part of the style... I listed the Style for a change since I used most of it.. it is a nice combination. I can see where holding "new" might throw your ear off some. It felt comfortable to me to emphasize it - but it could certainly be done without that... if I revisit the vocal, I will give that a try...

Originally Posted By: R & AM
Great song Floyd!!!
Music, vocals, everything.
Fascinating from the beginning to the end.

Rob and Anne-Marie

Thanks, guys... I appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: Carolyne
Great tune. Absolutely love the lyric!
-Carolyne

Thanks, Carolyne...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
if we could cut it down the middle, divide it with a fence
maybe my heart would stand half a chance...

As much as I loved the song through and through (AND I DID), this is one of the best bridges I've ever heard....short, concise, great alternative angle on the theme...Brilliant!
The rest of the song is excellent as well. We've all experienced that painful reality of having to be around someone who still turns your world upside down in a town, a team, a class, a workplace, whatever. This song perfectly taps into that painful emotion. Beautifully crafted lyric and flawless use of "the band" to bring the song to life. Another home run Floyd!! Take care. Greg

+1, I also loved the bridge. Everything here is of pro quality. The writing , the vocals, the arrangement, and the mix couldn't be better. Please explain a little more about building the drum track. There is much to be learned here. The level of these productions couldn't be higher. Much enjoyed. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another radio-ready gem! Love this one...

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
As usual another hit....great work and great lyrics..........Now a question, to get that good crisp mix, what do you use? I have Nectar 2, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, if you could, give me the run down on your mix and what, where and etc. PM if you want or post here, any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Critter
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,

You definitely nailed it again!

Like others I can't get over how good the production sounds. The drums and especially that snare sound is to die for. The vocals are perfect too.

I would have loved to hear a lap steel slide solo in there but that's really nitpicking.

Fantastic job once again!

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
+1, I also loved the bridge. Everything here is of pro quality. The writing , the vocals, the arrangement, and the mix couldn't be better. Please explain a little more about building the drum track. There is much to be learned here. The level of these productions couldn't be higher. Much enjoyed. Tom

Before I do anything else... I'll attempt to answer Tom's request for more on how I built the drums for this song.

Normally, I use the BIAB drums as they are generated - typically EQing them to accentuate what I want - which is typically a dominate snappy snare. Most modern Country and Pop songs depend on a dominate snare and I will often suggest to people that they bump up their drums a little. (We guitar players often focus on the guitars a bit too much)

For this song, I want a particular pattern throughout the song - which was, basically... kick-snare-kick-snare-kick-snare-kick-kick-snare with a few variations here and there. For this song I did not need or want the typical hi-hat. I'm not clever enough to "program" realistic drum fills... so where I want them, I used the generated BIAB RealDrums track.

Another important thing - the RealDrum track is used to know where to place the samples that I use - so that they land where a REAL drummer would - with the human nuances...

I add 2 tracks for kick - one for the constant (beat 1 and 3) and another for what will be the second kick of the kick-kick (the "and" of 3-and).
I add one track for just snare. (beat 2 and 4)

It looks like this:

track 1 - kick 1
track 2 - kick 2
track 3 - snare
track 4 - RealDrum track.

The snare sample and the kick samples need to line up with the RealDrums hits (for realistic timing). Here is a sample when first dropped in - misaligned...

I then walk my way through the entire track and line them up...

I then add in the fills from the RealDrums tracks:

Also... I draw a volume envelope over the snare and kick track so that the velocity of the hits varies randomly - so they don't all sound exactly alike... it is a fairly quick draw in Studio One - I would imagine other DAWs have the same functionality... the variance is fairly small...You could probably get away without doing this particular step...

And now I have complete control over the snare and the kick. I can really jack 'em up...I can add as much reverb to either as I need..

If you think of something I may have forgotten to mention, let me know...

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Floyd,
Congratulations with your new song. Again you deliver a classic.
The song: catches from the guitar intro, the drums are so clear, they carry the song all the way. The bridge wich brings us to the final chorus is short, but summarizes the despare of the singer, moving up a tone and on to the final. And then the final chord... I think I didnt hear a chord fading out so long since "a day in the life".

Floyd, I love your music, professional with a message all the way. But even more I Listen to your production, and I read every word about "the making of"... Thank you for sharing your experience and know how!

Hopefully you'll notice some of your tips finding their way to my music.
Listen to the final chord in my next smile

Greetings,

Fred

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The problem with this song!

Is in my hearing aids!

Hi Floyd. couldn't understand why no-one else could hear all the harshness in this song. Particularly the dischords at the end.

Am getting used to using the hearing aids again and must have had them on the no2 setting when listening to your song. ( and a few others )

Taken me a couple of days to figure out what was happening.

The aids add various degrees of overtones and strange sounds to the music I have discovered.
So from now on. Hearing aids out for the music!

So please allow me to add my congratulations for this fine song. Not harsh at all. Sounds great through natural ears.
Cheers

Last edited by RichMac; 02/02/15 11:39 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hey Floyd.
Usual top notch production.
Really liked the vocal phrasing, the bridge and key change.
The last couple of bars sound very harsh to me.
Is that deliberate?
Cheers.

Originally Posted By: RichMac
The problem with this song!

Is in my hearing aids!

Hi Floyd. couldn't understand why no-one else could hear all the harshness in this song. Particularly the dischords at the end.

Am getting used to using the hearing aids again and must have had them on the no2 setting when listening to your song. ( and a few others )

Taken me a couple of days to figure out what was happening.

The aids add various degrees of overtones and strange sounds to the music I have discovered.
So from now on. Hearing aids out for the music!

So please allow me to add my congratulations for this fine song. Not harsh at all. Sounds great through natural ears.
Cheers

Richard - That is interesting... Hearing has begun to fascinate me lately... I've had a number of conversations of late about hearing aids and what they can and can't do..and the frequencies that people lose or don't. I'm beginning to have some ringing, but I still hear highs pretty well (it seems). The guitar that finishes the song is, in fact, a thinner, colder sound than I usually use - it actually repeats throughout the song - it is the opening, too and the middle interlude... so I was wondering why you did not mention it being harsh in those spots as well - though it might be what is underneath it at the time. Anyway, thanks for coming back around for a second go... I appreciate it...

I think it's about time for another from you, too...

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
love that you took all the cymbals and hats out (except in the fills), and the modulation at the end did it's job to perfection!

Great lyrics with some stand out lines!

much enjoyed!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: ROG
I really do like it when a bit of "Rock" gets mixed into your songs and there's absolutely nothing in this which I didn't like. Everything is up to your usual high standard of professionalism.

Maybe a solo would have been nice? It's such a good track to solo over, I found myself desperately wanting to put one in!

Still a great track though. ROG.

Thanks, ROG - always enjoy your take on a song... It's interesting (to me) that this one has you looking for a lead (so to speak). From the get-go, I arranged this without a lead spot. Partly because the opening "signature" plays in a number of places through the song (not sure anyone actually noticed that) and it seemed "long-ish" to me, so I chose to leave it as "the guitar part" and not add another. Plus the modulation gives some of the variety that a standard lead typically provides... And so... the song come in at around 3:20 which is getting to the time limits in the "world I used to live in"...and I still seem to have that firmly in my head...old dog, ya know...

I'll look for another that you can jump in on...

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Originally Posted By: ROG

Maybe a solo would have been nice? It's such a good track to solo over, I found myself desperately wanting to put one in!

Yup.... my thoughts exactly.... coulda laid one down for you bro.....

See above... (but thanks)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi floyd,

This sounds as professional as anything I've heard that's come out of demo studios in Nashville. It's radio material through and through – brilliant writing, brilliant singing, brilliant production.

There's nothing quite like the discreet use of hyperbole to raise the bar of emotional intensity in lyrics.

Personally, I find hyperbole a powerful songwriting tool and I always keep it in mind as a lyric development device. For this reason, I tend to use it later in a song's lyrics: often verse 2 or the bridge.

You've employed it way up front in the chorus! It's never occurred to me to do that. To my ears, your use of it was very effective. I thought that using the exaggeration of...

• around every corner, on ev'ry face i meet
    on ev'ry cobblestone of every street

...was a very skilful way of showing us just how much this woman was inside the head of this guy and how this has trapped him in a web of misery that's pretty much impossible for him to escape from. It set-up the phrase "over-crowded memories" perfectly! The lyric sequence worked for me smile

Really, really terrific songwriting.

More please!
Noel

P.S. Great key change!

P.P.S. I've just seen that David Cuny also talks about "cobblestones" from a different perspective. It's good to have multiple views on things!

Noel - Thanks for another delightful discussion on a lyric! And thank you for the multiple "brilliant"'s... That made me smile... I also appreciate you providing the hyperbole backup - it is, in fact, the point to that section of the song - an exaggeration of exasperation...
Watching Liza wears you out! She does work it...

Originally Posted By: dcuny
First of all, great execution (as usual). Great singing, production, clever lyrics...

My only issue is the song is a bit too clever in spots. I can overlook "small talk", but "cobblestones" breaks the fourth wall completely.

That said, I particularly like:

smile

David - thanks for the listen and your thoughts... I'm not sure why "small talk" would give you pause... I get that "cobblestones" is perhaps archaic (though there are still plenty of cobblestone streets in certain areas) - it was intended as an exaggeration - as Noel pointed out... I appreciate you taking the time...

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Floyd,

great song again!
Lyrics, music, vocals, everything the usual high standard.
Have I already mentioned that I'm a fan?

Guenter

Thanks, Guenter... I certainly appreciate that...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
I like everything about this one. Once again, great use of BIAB.

"katmandu" - I loved that one!

Regards,Bob

Thanks, Bob!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
I am also in the "I like everything about this song" crowd.

Not only are you an outstanding lyricist you are also an outstanding producer, singer, guitarist, mix engineer etc!.

This was perfect!

Mario - you are too kind, my friend...

Originally Posted By: Rob4580
A quintessential country song,
Perfect vocals love the chorus.

I can see this easily making airplay.
You also have a touch of Nickle back going on as well.

Id love to be able to write like this,
Spot On.
Rob

Rob - I appreciate you dropping by... thanks.. that's my first Nickleback comparison...

User Showcase
M
Journeyman
Journeyman
M
WOW – a really GREAT song, performance and fabulous production!
U nailed it! :-)

MacUser!
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Another in your string of hits!

-rob

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Floyd

Another Masterpiece!

Sensational Lyrics
Sensational Melody
Sensational Build
Sensational Vocals
Sensational Mix

You've been working overtime on this, you must have.
Yes, you should put it up for air-play
This is another one of those 'really stand-out' songs on the User Showcase.

Great job Floyd.

Trevor

Trevor - wow - have to say, that has got to be one of my favorite reviews I've ever gotten... I do appreciate it - thanks for dropping by!

Originally Posted By: stratos
Great voice. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Uffe...

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

As much as I loved the song through and through (AND I DID), this is one of the best bridges I've ever heard....short, concise, great alternative angle on the theme...Brilliant!
The rest of the song is excellent as well. We've all experienced that painful reality of having to be around someone who still turns your world upside down in a town, a team, a class, a workplace, whatever. This song perfectly taps into that painful emotion. Beautifully crafted lyric and flawless use of "the band" to bring the song to life. Another home run Floyd!! Take care. Greg

Thanks, Tom. Appreciate all that... in case you missed it, I did a post about the drum build...

And, just to re-iterate (based on a comment elsewhere) I don't do this for every song. It's the exception - 75% of the songs I do use the RealDrum tracks as they are provided by BIAB (with EQ added - and as LOUD as I can get them)... for the other 25% I may build small parts (like a kick only section) but, generally BIAB WILL give you all you need....

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rsdean
Another radio-ready gem! Love this one...

Bob

Thanks, Bob...

Originally Posted By: critter
As usual another hit....great work and great lyrics..........Now a question, to get that good crisp mix, what do you use? I have Nectar 2, Alloy 2, Ozone 6, if you could, give me the run down on your mix and what, where and etc. PM if you want or post here, any help in this area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve, thanks... Nectar 2, Alloy 2, Ozone 6... those are great tools - and should be about all you need for any production... Often, it's a matter of experimenting enough until you get a good feel for what each of them will do - and where and when to use them. Like anything else, you improve with practice..

I answered a similar question in another song thread..

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=260854&page=3

look through until you find my answer to R & AM (It's fairly long, so easy to find)

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: receder
Floyd,

You definitely nailed it again!

Like others I can't get over how good the production sounds. The drums and especially that snare sound is to die for. The vocals are perfect too.

I would have loved to hear a lap steel slide solo in there but that's really nitpicking.

Fantastic job once again!

Rec

Thanks, Rec... I've had a lot of practice... As I mentioned in an earlier response, as I put this together, using the structure that I did, adding a lead section did not seem the right thing to do - but, obviously others felt that there should have been one... I'm just not sure where it sit right...

Originally Posted By: FredM
Floyd,
Congratulations with your new song. Again you deliver a classic.
The song: catches from the guitar intro, the drums are so clear, they carry the song all the way. The bridge wich brings us to the final chorus is short, but summarizes the despare of the singer, moving up a tone and on to the final. And then the final chord... I think I didnt hear a chord fading out so long since "a day in the life".

Floyd, I love your music, professional with a message all the way. But even more I Listen to your production, and I read every word about "the making of"... Thank you for sharing your experience and know how!

Hopefully you'll notice some of your tips finding their way to my music.
Listen to the final chord in my next smile

Greetings,

Fred

LOL - Fred... I'll definitely be looking for that last chord as you post more... thanks for the kind words...

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gruverider
love that you took all the cymbals and hats out (except in the fills), and the modulation at the end did it's job to perfection!

Great lyrics with some stand out lines!

much enjoyed!

Thanks, Lawrence... appreciate that...

Originally Posted By: molsenhouse
WOW – a really GREAT song, performance and fabulous production!
U nailed it! :-)

molsenhouse - nice of you to say... thanks...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
All we are going to add to the accolades is
immediately upon our first listen each of us
almost simultaneously said "Dean Dillon and
George Strait!" Dean Dillon wrote some of
Strait's biggest and best crafted songs in
our opinion.

We're not typically ones to drop other artists'
names when commenting on a song but Dillion
is a fine writer and we felt Mr jane
would enjoy the comparo. We recently watched
Strait's final Dallas concert "The Cowboy
rides Away" and this song would have fit
perfectly in the show. 'nuff said!

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,497
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195