Options
Index
#80750 - 07/26/10 06:05 PM [User Showcase] Original Song - Should You Find Me
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi everyone

"Should You Find Me" is one of my original compositions which I wrote in the mid-70s – played at the time with acoustic picking and bass guitar. The bridge was added at the request of my daughter in 2005 so that she could use the song as a college recording project.
I would welcome any suggestions you might have for this production, thanks for any feedback. Since I can't hear that well there are production things I could be missing or that could be improved.

This link is to a wma file - hopefully it will not have an linking issues which an mp3 file sometimes has. The site is virus free.
Should You Find Me

Used BIAB, RB for added RT and RDs, PT12 to assemble, edit and record. XG Daughtercard on Turtle Beach Santa Cruz soundcard for MIDI. Final tweaking of PG Output stereo wave in Audacity (volume adjust, minor compression, silence for intro and extro, truncate to trim silence). Which BIAB style I started with I don’t remember but it became a hybrid under my own name.

Fingerpicking Acoustic played by me and input by guitar controller;
Lead part – partial generation by BIAB Soloist and myself on keyboard;
Drums - Midi Kick and RD Country Even16 added in PT12;
Pedal Steel RT370 added in RB;
All MIDI parts converted to audio by external daughtercard and tweaked as audio.
Vocal Lead recorded in PT12
Vocal Harmony in verse and chorus recorded live by friend in PT12
Vocal Harmony in bridge by TC Helicon in PT12

Thanks again - Ian

#80751 - 07/26/10 11:18 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Ian, I especially like how you go to the low note on "along". I thought the steel really added to the feel of the song. I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

#80752 - 07/27/10 09:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Sundance]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Josie

Glad to have you visit. The steel guitar was a last minute addition because "I could".
I think it brought out more emotion in the song.

Trying to follow Peter's parameters for the User Forum, I think I wrote too much.
Stuff that might come up only in viewers' comments.
You're to be commended if you waded through any of the material, Josie.

Thanks - Ian

#80753 - 07/27/10 01:33 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Georgia
RayThigpen Offline
Expert

Loc: Georgia
Ian! I liked this piece. Very good job, man!

I liked the words, music, arrangement. I found NOTHING wrong with it...

only a suggestion for a modification.... right before the last section (verse/chorus combo) I heard another instrument like a guitar picking which seemed to have replaced the piano... I liked that but it was very short. Would like to have heard that instrument a bit longer, as it broke up the continuous piano playing in the mix... possibly even drop out the piano at that point totally and pick it back up again a few bars down.

Steel added a touch of color... Again, I would have brought it in when you did....... let it run a bit, and then faded it totally out --- only to bring it back again towards the end of the song like the last chorus, etc.

Just ideas.......... no fault finding. The piece stand well as it is...... I just always hear things that aren't there...... that could be........... the possibilities are endless......... LOL

Good job, man!

#80754 - 07/27/10 05:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: RayThigpen]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Ray. Good to hear from you.
I'm grateful for the input. The piano and the fingerpicking guitar are continuous rhythm instruments through the song - piano left and fingerpicking in the centre, the lead nylon is also in the centre - perhaps I should have separated them a bit more. Maybe I should have pulled the piano out or way back for the third verse, and then returned it for the last chorus.
I'm also never sure where to position the pedal steel in a mix - I've got it right.

I'm always open to ideas - you sound like a producer at heart. LOL
You know, I think this is the first time you've visited one of my postings
- thanks so much for weighing in.

Take care - Ian

#80755 - 07/30/10 02:41 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Ian,

I enjoyed the listen. You have a good way with music and words. I think the thing that impresses me most with your music is the honesty that's wrapped up in your words. The truth in your lyrics makes it easy to relate to your songs.

All the best with that next one!
Noel

#80756 - 07/30/10 04:50 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Noel96]
Loc: Bristol, UK
enjfb Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Bristol, UK
Hi Ian,
I enjoyed your song very much - a good mix and interesting words which I felt were coming from the heart.

Jim

#80757 - 07/30/10 11:27 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: enjfb]
Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Hey Ian, thanks for a good cry.

Great job canucky.

#80758 - 07/30/10 02:26 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Noel96]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hi Noel
Kind words from you about the lyrics - I think over the years I've written more to my serious side.
Guess you could say my songwriting has been a way to deal with life events - it's nice if people can identify with the feelings. I hope the backing tracks did the song justice.

Ian

#80759 - 07/30/10 02:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: enjfb]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Hello Jim

Thanks for giving a listen - I'm guessing some people might feel that I'm putting too much privacy out there. There have been many viewers but not many comments - good to have yours.

Ian

#80760 - 07/30/10 02:36 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Scotland
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
Hi Ian,

I really liked this song.
Lyrics told a story that I could relate to.
Thought the mix was alright (on my system the pedal steel sounded just off stage a little - but that is just a nit pic)

Well done

Best regards
Michee

#80761 - 07/30/10 02:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: John Conley]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Quote:

thanks for a good cry

Ah jeez, John. Hope your strength was up for it.
At the time I wrote it, I was just your basic 70s sensitive guy.
Now I'm your new millennium manic with dried tear glands, writing stuff like "Road Rage" "She Smokes" and "Hang Him High".

Honoured with your visit, sir.

Stay well - Ian

#80762 - 08/14/10 04:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Venezuela
CarlosEArellano Offline
Productor Musical

Loc: Venezuela
"What you get is what you see"

Hi Ian, I like so much how you did put it.! First time I've seen this phrase out of its typical software context. Wonderful song Ian, sensitive story catch the soul senses. Thanks for share your songs with us.

Carlos

#80763 - 08/14/10 11:33 AM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: CarlosEArellano]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Thanks so much for the comments Carlos - good to have you visit.
I never even noticed the line in that context.:D

Is it not time to have your tunes over here??

Cheers - Ian

#80764 - 08/15/10 04:51 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: TEXAS, USA
Powderman Offline
Apprentice

Loc: TEXAS, USA
Ian,

That's a nice tune. Surely like your lyrics. Liked the steel guitar - but the placement distracted me slightly when listening to vocals. I think it needs to be there - just tweaked. I listened when you posted but guess I got distracted before I had a chance to respond.

Keepem' coming

Thanks for sharing

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=933265

#80765 - 08/15/10 06:22 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Powderman]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Powderman

Yeh I think you're right - sort of comes in heavy. Sometimes its hard to say with these ears of mine.
That's why I need the Forum feedback, and the reason I don't critique as much anymore.

Thanks for the feedback. Ian

#80766 - 08/16/10 12:49 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Ian,

your music and general conversation on the forum resonate with me.

#80767 - 08/16/10 07:03 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Pat Marr]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Pat - good to hear from you and thanks.

Ian

#80768 - 08/16/10 08:27 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: Ian Fraser]
Loc: Hamlin NY
MarioD Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hamlin NY
Hi “my friend who roots for the wrong hockey team” You know what I mean

I really like this one. These are some great lyrics expertly sung IMHO. Personally I would not change a thing; just my $0.02 USD.

64 bit Win 10 Pro - the latest BiaB and RB - Roland Octa-Capture audio interface - a ton of software and some hardware.

#80769 - 08/17/10 07:25 PM [User Showcase] Re: Original Song - Should You Find Me [Re: MarioD]
Ian Fraser Offline
Expert

Thanks for the song support, Mario. I was beginning to wonder if maybe the lyrics were a bit heavy for some listeners.

Not wishing Buffalo any "wings" this season. Go Sens.
You can pick your teeth with that Sabre.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28454 Members
58 Forums
55288 Topics
460600 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
rikkyj, tbeach, Andrew DeGaust, Ruben de la Pena, PedroD

28453 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 366
Pipeline 342