Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#283164 02/03/15 12:35 PM
Off-Topic
Lawrie Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
A member of this forum recently contacted me RE CryptoWall. At the moment there's not a lot that can definitely be done because of the nature of the encryption.

It's predecessor, Cryptolocker, has been broken and keys are available - they MAY be able to help with Cryptowall but don't count on it.

Now, the attack vector is via email and file attachment. Of course the ideal is to delete all questionable emails without opening them.

This sounds good in theory, but most people who use fat email clients like Outlook also set it to display the currently highlighted email - this must open the email to do so and will execute any code that opening an email will do - you can get infected REALLY easily this way.

My advice is TURN OFF preview - yes, I know it's inconvenient but it's a lot less inconvenient than losing your data, or worse, having it encrypted and an extortion notice to decrypt - how bad is it knowing your data is there but you can't get it because some mongrel has encrypted it.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Lawrie #283212 02/04/15 02:52 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Lawrie

My advice is TURN OFF preview - yes, I know it's inconvenient but it's a lot less inconvenient than losing your data, or worse, having it encrypted and an extortion notice to decrypt - how bad is it knowing your data is there but you can't get it because some mongrel has encrypted it.

That is where a backup comes into play.

Backup your data on a -- at least -- weekly basis. Depending on your workload, even a daily backup could save you a lot of time.

Save incremental, that is only what has been changed.

Use a backup software that does not encrypt the file, so you have "instant" access without using other software. Some is free, other comes with the harddrive.

Have a copy on an external and separate harddrive or original CDs and DVDs of your purchased software. If they are custom burned, that is they are not mechanically pressed, copy them onto a harddrive. Burnt CDs and DVDs are often subject to erase themselves.

Make a return to factory setup installation routine. Many "pots" PCs and Laptops include a data set on a partition of the internal hard drive. You can and should copy that onto another hard drive.

If your backup hard drive is full, buy a new one and put the old one in storage for a year or two.

If your PC is entrypted, install a new hard drive and restore your system from scratch. It'll take day or two, but it is still the fastest and cheapest way to really restore a system without a trace of infection.

Btw: pots is an acronym for "products of the shelf".

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
GHinCH #283220 02/04/15 04:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I am with Lawrie on this one. I have preview turned off on all of our computers for the same reasons.

But I still have all of my computers backed up on external HDs that sit on a shelf not plugged in the computer.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Lawrie #283230 02/04/15 05:20 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
This tech stuff scares the heck out of me. We're on ATT/Yahoo email. I don't even know if I have "Preview" turned on or not. What's the difference?

Regards,

Bob

90 dB #283235 02/04/15 06:21 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Preview is similar to what you see in "Latest Topics" in this forum. You can read the email without opening it.

This is potentially dangerous for the health of your computer. But, if you are observant regarding irregular behaviour of that machine of yours and you have a valid backup, most times this will cost you just a couple of time units. Often you will be rewarded with a faster computer for a while.

Depending on your service provider, a lot of bad mails are filtered before you even get it. One of mine occasionally sends me a proxy mail telling me that they have deleted an email containing malware.

Nowadays email accounts support IMAP, that means your emails remain on your service providers computer. POP accounts download everything to your computer and delete the emails on your providers site. With IMAP accounts you always have access to your email through any other computer even if your computer is badly bent.

There really is only one danger: Malware that infects your BIOS or its equivalents. That is difficult to solve yourself. Everything else just costs your time, if you...

... Backup often.

Don't get nervous. Stress is a bad advisor.
Don't think. Most reasons for an error start with: "I thought..."
Use common sense. Don't give anybody on the internet what you wouldn't give me, for instance, like your passwords, pins, money and such. There is absolutely no reason for that.

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
GHinCH #283243 02/04/15 06:55 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: GHinCH
Preview is similar to what you see in "Latest Topics" in this forum. You can read the email without opening it.

This is potentially dangerous for the health of your computer. But, if you are observant regarding irregular behaviour of that machine of yours and you have a valid backup, most times this will cost you just a couple of time units. Often you will be rewarded with a faster computer for a while.

Depending on your service provider, a lot of bad mails are filtered before you even get it. One of mine occasionally sends me a proxy mail telling me that they have deleted an email containing malware.

Nowadays email accounts support IMAP, that means your emails remain on your service providers computer. POP accounts download everything to your computer and delete the emails on your providers site. With IMAP accounts you always have access to your email through any other computer even if your computer is badly bent.

There really is only one danger: Malware that infects your BIOS or its equivalents. That is difficult to solve yourself. Everything else just costs your time, if you...

... Backup often.

Don't get nervous. Stress is a bad advisor.
Don't think. Most reasons for an error start with: "I thought..."
Use common sense. Don't give anybody on the internet what you wouldn't give me, for instance, like your passwords, pins, money and such. There is absolutely no reason for that.

Thanks for explaining that. I think I'm OK. I have to actually open an email to read it.

Life was so much easier when we used stone tablets. grin

90 dB #283246 02/04/15 07:14 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Life was so much easier when we used stone tablets. grin

Reminds me of a Mel Brooks movie..... 15 Commandments!!! ~crash~ 10 Commandments!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
90 dB #283259 02/04/15 08:40 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Life was so much easier when we used stone tablets.grin

Yeah, it sure was but Biab didn't sound so good though...we only had one Real Track, a small rock banging on a big rock.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Yeah, it sure was but Biab didn't sound so good though...we only had one Real Track, a small rock banging on a big rock.

Bob

Bob, was that the first rock band?

Ducking and running for cover grin

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Lawrie #283287 02/04/15 01:41 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
edit: reply meant for 90db, not Lawrie ..

If you are using Yahoo email online the preview threat is not your only concern, in my opinion. I've seen ads on yahoo that were a threat. And you get confronted with lots of those on yahoo.
Also, hacking yahoo accounts is a specialty service in some circles..
I've seen that too.
Then they can send an email to all your contacts that appears to come from you. Those get a pretty high open rate usually, and can have whatever script in it they want.

I have a yahoo account (on my 3rd one), and don't think it's any more unsafe than many other free account places. Just saying ..

Last edited by rharv; 02/04/15 01:42 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Lawrie #283434 02/06/15 04:40 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Lots of good advice has been given here - some of what I do and I advise others to do:

1) Get good AV protection and keep it up to date daily

2) Same for Malware Bytes it helps with first-day attacks

3) Keep mail and browsers up to date and keep your security shields up on them - also stay away from the most popular apps for these - as bigger targets get more attacks

4) Back up every day on an external drive and keep at least 7 backups there - use disk imaging software like Acronis

5) Back up once a month on a different external drive. Make it a full image, and keep a half dozen

6) Make a non-administrator account, and use it when on-line

7) Turn off preview is good, but also don't let big e-mails come without clicking the box to finish

8) Don't click any links in e-mail unless you are absolutely - positively sure. If your bank, delivery company, spouse, best friend, or whoever gives you the most convincing reason to click that link - don't do it. Go to your bank's site, go to UPS or FedEx, e-mail your spouse or friend, and generally be suspicious that somebody might be trying to trick you

9) Do a separate backup of your important data - I use Microsoft's Free Sync Toy. If I have to revert to an earlier back up, I can restore what I thought was important back up to date

10) Don't store your passwords on your computer either

Since I handle customer credit cards and other information, I keep all their data to a computer that doesn't go on-line, I never-ever keep their credit card numbers, and I encrypt the drive using the highest security available for mere mortals - that way in the unlikely event that someone breaks in and steals the computer, he/she won't be able to get to my customer's data.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
rharv #283435 02/06/15 04:45 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
edit: reply meant for 90db, not Lawrie ..

If you are using Yahoo email online the preview threat is not your only concern, in my opinion. I've seen ads on yahoo that were a threat. And you get confronted with lots of those on yahoo.
Also, hacking yahoo accounts is a specialty service in some circles..
I've seen that too.
Then they can send an email to all your contacts that appears to come from you. Those get a pretty high open rate usually, and can have whatever script in it they want.

I have a yahoo account (on my 3rd one), and don't think it's any more unsafe than many other free account places. Just saying ..

Can you suggest a better (more secure) service for email? We've got ATT internet, so the Yahoo is the standard service, but it's less than ideal.

Thanks.

Bob

Lawrie #283496 02/06/15 10:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
And then after all of that, the Russian/Chinese/East European/whatever other mob hackers break into Sony, Target, Home Depot, Anthem Health and steal all your personal info anyway.

I have no idea how it will look but I think at some point there will have to be big changes as to how the internet works.

A lot of these problems are simply laziness on the part of all of us including the largest corporations in the world. It's not practical for a private company to require CIA level computer security access just to have you sit at your desk and do your job. But, right now it seems like all it takes is an insider like what apparently happened with Sony and all hell breaks loose. That happened with one of the big banks years ago (Citi maybe?), that was an insider too.

It appears like the banks themselves are ok now but non financial corporations? Who knows. It seems like they think it's cheaper to eat the bad publicity rather than spend whatever's necessary to upgrade their security to the level of the banks. Apparently both Sony and Anthem kept a huge legacy database still attached to their online network when that wasn't necessary so millions of old customer and employee records they haven't used in years got hacked too. It's obvious with some of these companies, nobody is taking this seriously, they're not paying attention, they're underpaid or whatever so nobody cares. They need to take the literal meaning of the word "foolproof" as in most of our employees are fools/idiots/morons and design systems accordingly. I'm sure that's very expensive.

I work at a CPA firm and we have an offsite IT company. We've talked to them a lot about spam emails and there's only so much anybody can do. Even after the filtering I get literally 15-20 to ONE spam vs real emails. Some of the spams use real client names, the IRS, other firms, my name, my friends name, my dogs name and they all have very legitimate looking attachments supposedly from UPS, Amazon, the IRS, banks, whomever. These are all entities we do deal with so I have to look at this stuff (not open attachments) before deciding to delete it. The first 15 minutes of my day is spent culling out the real emails and nuking the rest. If it's after a weekend or days off it's more like a half hour or more. It's unbelievable and it's getting worse. I think part of our problem is we have our own URL so that's what's being attacked by the spammers. We've talked about simply using gmail or another big commercial ISP and let them filter this crap but then we just look the same as a kid in her bedroom as far as email addresses are concerned.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Lawrie #283502 02/06/15 11:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The other side of this is that from the user side it gets to be prohibitively difficult to access your online information.

I recently had to register at a site to update some personal information and had to come up with an "exactly" 14 character password, with a mix of upper/lower case, numbers, and symbols.

You can bet the next time I have to access that site, I will be clicking on the "forgot password" button.

There are some sites where I have to enter my login name, my password, my pin, and also answer my personal questions. I'm okay doing that, but at some point you just can't remember all that.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
MarioD #283519 02/06/15 01:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Bob

Bob, was that the first rock band?

Ducking and running for cover grin

LOL! You ain't right Mario!
(and I mean that as high praise)
wink

90 dB #283522 02/06/15 02:02 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe GMail (?).
For one it defaults to SSL and also the ads it runs are from AdWords which is pretty good at limiting hazardous ad content. Google based email.

Not trying to sell you, but that or a MS account (like Outlook or Live) would be more secure. Both of the above are online mail like Yahoo and AOL.

I will say Yahoo's spam filtering blacklist is pretty hard to get off of. Once you get on it, they then check every DNS record, reverse lookup and spf records to be correct before even filtering the content... and THEN (if you've officially asked to be whitelisted) they might let your mail through.
We've had a couple companies come to us for this service; others had failed for months and we succeeded in a week. smile

The power of the DKIM record. smile

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Regarding Spam to email ratio:
We like SpamStopsHere.

Basic setup is effective, and has many filtering options available.
You can block your own phrases and sources and Subject strings etc.

If you decide to try it we are a reseller, so may be able to offer value.
(Shameless plug, but may be helpful to someone).
We host email for a few hundred companies and have every one of them (including our own) is using this service, so we get a good rates.
Still it ain't cheap, but every company has seen the difference and continue to use us.

Now I've talked about email services for two posts in a row and just want to finish by saying; I hate email.
I hate supporting it even more. I train beginning techs for that so I don't have to. smile

Yesterday we had a user submit a help desk ticket stating her email login wasn't working and provided the credentials she was using. The tech logged in, sent himself an email and logged out. Told her the login was correct and her email was working. Could she please try again and report back in detail.

Today she submitted another help desk ticket asking us to turn off the forwarding she had set up last week before leaving, as she didn't know how.
Her email was working like it was supposed to .. it was set to be forwarding to another address and it took her a day to remember she had done this.
The problem was between the chair and the keyboard.

Lawrie #283595 02/07/15 06:36 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
My web host runs an anti-spam app. It used to be Brightmail but they changed it to something else that works even better.

New spams come for a few days until enough people complain and it goes on a blacklist and is blocked.

Of course those first day phishing attempts do come through, so I still have to be careful.

But before Brightmail I was getting up to 400 spams per day, now I get 10-20.

Of course, not everybody needs a webhost if they don't have a web page, but there are e-mail hosts out there. Some inquiry might turn up with one that uses Brightmail or a competitor.

I do not use google for a search engine. There are alternatives that do not track you and sell your information to merchants, DuckDuckGo, Start Page, Ixquick and so on.

I don't click "Like" in FB, and I never even filled out my profile - just enough to set up an account. FB makes it's profits by selling your stuff. Besides for not clicking "like" I don't play their games and do their quizzes. They are just fishing for information to sell to their customers.

If it's free, you aren't the customer, you are the product.

I also have a very easy system for memorizing long, hard to crack passwords. PM me if you are interested.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Lawrie #283603 02/07/15 08:25 AM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
As far as backups is concerned, should you ever be unlucky ro get caught by one of the now many file encrypting ransom malwares and prevent that from being a major problem, whatever size the hard drive is in your computer buy another of the same size as a spare, then a means to connect it via USB to your computer. (USB to SATA adapter, USB connected enclosure, or a full USB to hard drive docking station)
Once the spending is done, there are quite a few good and free to use software's that can completely clone your existing computers hard drive onto the one you just bought as a spare. (I have two spare drives for that purpose).
The good thing about a full clone is that it is an exact copy of your system, you can access and add new data at any time, though you cannot install new software. You need to install on the computer then make a fresh clone for that.
Keep the clone fully up to date regularly but always disconnect it after use so it is safe.
Should you then get caught with an encrypting malware, all you do is remove the now encrypted hard drive from the computer and fit the spare clone drive in its place. A few minutes with a screw driver is all it takes and you are back up and running.
For the clone making software I use the free version of Macrium Reflect which is one quite highly recommended by many computer technicians, though there are other software's available that will do the same thing.

As far as the encrypted drive, without actually accessing any part of it (To prevent cross infection), fully reformat the drive, it can then become the next clone.
Macrium Reflect will fully format the drive for you before transferring the new clone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
To all the non techie types who may be reading this who "just want to make some music" you got all that? I've said it so many times now it's becoming a mantra. You MUST become a computer nerd not only for self protection but to understand how all this software works.

If you can't/won't do that then give it all up now.

Bob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,722
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197