You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#284173 - 02/14/15 01:58 AM [User Showcase] The Theory Of Everything
Loc: Finland
jannesan Offline
Expert

A new song The Theory Of Everything finished right on the Valentine's day, although I started writing it already in 2013. Also video available at YouTube. Inspired by the quantum theory, not the movie, although I changed the title to match with it. I do not take any responsibility on the theoretical accuracy blush

The song is written by me, all those great inspiring instruments by BIAB (+Floyd's loop). The vocalist was hired from Supreme Tracks and I think his voice fits nicely into the song. Mixed in Adobe Audition, Melodyne used for some vocal modifications and vocal harmony.

RealDrums: JazzFunkGroovin
Loops: ChoirClaps (thanks to Floyd!)

RealTracks:
Acoustic Guitar #2403
Acoustic Guitar Solo #1648
Acoustic Piano #1578
Electric Bass #1433
Electric Guitar #1402, #1403, #1435, #1436, #1574
Horn Section #2348
Organ #2492
Sax #1058, #1062, #1776
Synth #2407

Lyrics:

I had heard the phrase
opposites attract
took a test with you
at the Large Heart Collider
we have proved it's much more than a fact.

We levitate
we gravitate
between love and hate
this is our theory of everything
you are my superstring.

Deconstructed lives
weaker atoms were split
settled in the void
there were no more needs to argue
our turn to feel the impact hit.

We levitate...

Fused beyond the time
in a random event
bodies resonate
but they won't annihilate
we have reached the quantum entanglement.

We levitate...

Our union, boson & fermion
supersymmetric spinning sparticles
we are married now in every dimension.

We levitate...

Janne

#284177 - 02/14/15 03:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Will Rockwell Offline
Journeyman

Charming song, a great Valentines card

#284204 - 02/14/15 07:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Janne,

interesting lyrics. Very nice chord progression. And what an arrangement! Entertaining from the start.
You chose a good singer. I wonder how much it cost.
There's an effect on the vocals that distracts me a little.
Nevertheless a very good listen which I've repeated several times.
Funny video.

Guenter

#284230 - 02/14/15 10:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Nice song with interesting lyrics. This is a nice melody and arrangement. The vocalist did a good job for you but I'm in agreement with Guenter regarding the effect on the vocals but understand that is a personal production choice and other than noticing it during my listen, it did not detract from the quality of your song. Nice job, enjoyed listening and looking forward to hearing more from you soon.

Charlie

#284234 - 02/14/15 10:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Kentucky
PgFantastic Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kentucky
Nice mix, well performed, I like the effect on the vocal, thanks for sharing!

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.

#284262 - 02/14/15 04:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: The Netherlands
RnAM Offline
Veteran

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Janne,

We think this song is quite well done, one nit though:
we are kind of wondering why you hired a vocalist for this, because we probably would have liked to hear your own vocals?
And yes, we are also wondering was it pricey?

Regards,
Rob and Anne-Marie

RnAM Homepage (completely restyled)
YouTube Channel

#284302 - 02/15/15 01:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad to hear you liked my song.

Gunter & Charlie: I haven't much mixed real vocals, so maybe have overused some of the effects (compressor, eq, chorus, reverb), although I'm content with the result.
Rob & Anne-Marie: even a vocaloid can sing better than me, so I rather leave it to a professional than disturb my neighbors. That's why I use BIAB instruments and not play myself. Hiring a vocalist for just one song is expensive, you get yearly BIAB update with that money, but people buy boats and cars just for hobby, I hope my music is equally good "investment" smile

Janne

#284325 - 02/15/15 05:32 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: boehm]
Loc: Florida
tommyad Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Janne,

interesting lyrics. Very nice chord progression. And what an arrangement! Entertaining from the start.
You chose a good singer. I wonder how much it cost.
There's an effect on the vocals that distracts me a little.
Nevertheless a very good listen which I've repeated several times.
Funny video.

Guenter

+1, I agree with Guenter. Great arrangement. I thought the vocal was over processed. Just a little delay and reverb would have been my preference. Since you hired the vocalist, you might as well let his natural voice shine through. Anyway you look at it. It stands up very well. Good Job! Tom

#284349 - 02/15/15 07:49 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: GA USA
Janice & Bud Offline
Veteran

Loc: GA USA
We enjoyed it and agree with both Tom and
Guenter regarding the vocal processing. Just
let it shine through the mix. Really a cool
write and production...And not every day
you hear a love song reference a particle
collider!

J&B

#284400 - 02/15/15 01:45 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
Fun song.

As others have noted, the processing detracts from the vocal because you hear the effects rather than the vocals.

I agree with Tommy on the theory that if I've hired a vocalist, I'm going to want to hear what I paid for! wink

Thank for posting - nice and upbeat track.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#284447 - 02/15/15 10:34 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: PgFantastic]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: PgFantastic
Nice mix, well performed, I like the effect on the vocal, thanks for sharing!

I agree with Robert. For this style, I thought it fit fine. Cute video too.

Josie

#284461 - 02/16/15 01:48 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
It's great to hear something from outside the square. This choice of funk feel isn't used often enough in compositions, and you must be very please with your results here. Sax works nice, as does the lead break. Great effort really!
BIAB&RB2020(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#284510 - 02/16/15 08:04 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks Tom, Janice&Bud, David for positive comments and over processed feedback wink Because I can't hear a problem with the vocal effects, they sound the way I like it, I have made a test render: Theory Of Effect, there are 6 takes of the first verse, now please tell me which ones you like, and which take removes the problem.

Thanks Josie & VideoTrack for liking the way it is smile I wish too there were more funk/soul songs here. I like this type of blue-eyed soul with a funky flavor, and yes I'm pleased with the result, BIAB has made it possible to realize my vision with a song I love to hear over and over again smile

Janne

#284540 - 02/16/15 12:12 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Scott C Offline
Veteran

Loc: Edmonton, Ab, Canada
Song has a very neat feel to it. Well done

#284578 - 02/16/15 03:09 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Janne,

A very interesting write! Some very clever lines.

"we are married now in every dimension" - great finish.

Your choices of instrument is inspired (not just saying that because you used one of my clap loops - but that worked well, too!). The horns were VERY well used. Nice drums sound! The guitars are cool! The track ROCKED!

The use of chorus on vocal is unusual (but not unheard of). You could drop it and use a delay instead (which is more conventional), but I think the "problem" (IF there is one, that is) is that the vocal is just a little too "out front" for this type of song. If it were "tucked into the mix" just a bit more, the chorus on the vocal would "work".

The production and mix are very nice (where the vocal sits is a "producer's choice". If I were doing this, I would take a few dB off the vocal - but you need to please yourself first).

A very enjoyable song! It is stuck in my head...

floyd

#284605 - 02/16/15 05:30 PM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
F.M.M. Offline
Expert

nice arrangement really like the vocal great voice thanks eric
AMD (TM) 8150 3.60 GHz Eight Core Processor 64 bit windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card delta 1010 pci card 500 ssd drive 3 other drives guitars 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100 pedal Carvin SRS Studio reference series

#284673 - 02/17/15 11:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Belgium
FredM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Belgium
Hi Hanney,
This is funky ☺
(as it is supposed to be)
I understand your choice for a paid singer. In the end, like a painting, the song is here to last, and we want it to be perfect, maybe our grandchildren will listen one day ☺

You have got to be proud, as it is a great song!

Fred

#284729 - 02/18/15 04:28 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Janne,

What a brilliant arrangement! You certainly have a flair for production. You also have a great sense of melody and harmony. I enjoyed the journey.

All the best,
Noel

#284914 - 02/19/15 07:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: The Theory Of Everything [Re: jannesan]
jannesan Offline
Expert

Thanks for your kind and flattering comments Scott, Eric, Fred, Noel.
Floyd, thanks for being so analytical, always nice to read long comments smile You are right that the vocal is too out front, at least in some parts. Most likely my compressor settings are totally wrong wink I'll check that again.

Janne

PG Music News
How I Use Band-in-a-Box® to Create Shots/Chops

Band-in-a-Box® user Henry Clarke creates a lot of great songs with Band-in-a-Box®, and he's shared his steps for creating the shots/chops within his recent song Lonely in a Crowd.

To watch Henry's video, click here.

Have your own program tip to share? Feel free to post it to our Tips & Tricks forum.

#TipTuesday

Uncommon RealTracks Instruments for Band-in-a-Box®

Today is Uncommon Instrument Awareness Day.

Examples of "uncommon instruments" include anything from Spoons to the Wheelharp to the Singing Ringing Tree, and more!
(there's probably more instruments out there that we DON'T know than we DO know)

Although our RealTracks collection doesn't include many 'uncommon instruments', we do offer some pretty unique choices!

On top of the usual varieties we offer for Piano, Guitar, Saxophone, Flute, Clarinet, Bass, Tuba, Trumpet, Trombone, and more - our RealTracks library also offers a nice selection of Shakuhachi and Kalimba - there's even a Koto RealTrack included in Set 212!

Kalimba: RealTracks Set 271
Koto: RealTracks Set 212
Shakuhachi: RealTracks Sets 193 & 212

What's the most surprising RealTrack Instrument that you've come across?

Band-in-a-Box® 2020 Portuguese for Windows is Here!

Existem mais de 50 novos recursos no Band-in-a-Box® 2020! Existem aprimoramentos no RealTracks (RealTracks vocais com som mais suave, RealTracks Engrossados, Substitutos de RealTracks e MultiFrases). A maioria dos RealDrums agora possui RealCharts (com notação de bateria precisa). Há um novo navegador de artistas do RealTracks para encontrar informações/biografias/links/listas de RealTracks em todos os artistas. Um novo Navegador de recursos permite que o usuário novo ou "esquecido" encontre e use facilmente a maioria dos recursos/teclas de atalho/documentos em uma única janela. Equalizar Tempoaprimoramentos na Seleção de Músicas, baixo/bateria ou apenas bateria nas introduções automáticas, 3.400 títulos adicionados, aprimoramentos no MusicXML, visualização de guitarra para "Canhotos" e "Estudantes", aprimoramentos de arrastar e soltar, exibição de várias janelas do Interpretador de Acordes de Áudio e muito mais!

COMPRE/ATUALIZE, & BAIXE AGORA!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Mac Update Ready!

Just because Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Mac is here doesn't mean we've forgotten our 2019 users!

If you're still using Band-in-a-Box® 2019, make sure you download the latest patch update (b324) for an updated splash screen (macOS 10.12 and 10.13 users), smoother Song Titles dialog, access to your (purchased) RealTracks Set 328, and we've corrected the reported issue with opening songs from older versions of Band-in-a-Box in the 2019 version.

Learn more about this patch and download it here.

Review - Loops-with-Style PAK 2 for Band-in-a-Box® 2020

"Dr. Dave" Walker is at it again! You may remember his recent reviews of both Band-in-a-Box 2020 for Mac and Xtra Styles PAK 9 - now he has something to say about our Loops-with-Style PAK 2 - check it out: Click here to read...

With money being tight for most musicians, this is a wonderful gift for those on a limited budget. At $29, it offers months and years of fun and experimentation, bringing many ideas to fruition as songs with enough variation so that your audience doesn’t jump to "aw, that's a computer!" while still keeping the power of the software in your hands.
-"Dr. Dave" Walker

Thank you again Dr. Dave for the great review!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Band-in-a-Box® - My New Favorite Thing

Did you know we have a My Favorite Things forum? We encourage you to share your favorite features in Band-in-a-Box and RealBand there, along with what features you use the most and why - we LOVE getting feedback!

Like the latest post from Tangmo:

My New Favorite Thing - Extra Style PAK #9 with Loop Pack #2

I set up an eight bar progression with some simple pushes, shots, holds, and rests for reference. Then I started auditioning styles--Three hours later, I am invigorated, inspired, and just plain smiling big. Really CHOICE! From "down to earth" to eclectic, this is a really fun pak.

Great job, folks!

Thanks Tangmo!

Learn more about Loops-with-Style PAKs: Windows | Mac

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Refresh Your Band-in-a-Box® 2020 for Windows Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box 2020 to the latest build 725 for Windows today! This free update acknowledges song memo edits when saving your work, resolves step-advance within the Big Piano window, revives a killed audio track, and more!

Just like our recent Mac patch, the DAW Plugin has been updated too! We've added "insert" and "delete" options into the chord sheet context menu and addressed 20+ reported 'bugs'!

Learn more & update today!

Forum Stats
32597 Members
68 Forums
65503 Topics
555366 Posts

Max Online: 2537 @ 01/19/20 07:09 AM
Newest Members
Kevinuser, Beej, michaeldg3, lencrawl42, Provipgroup

32597 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MarioD 191