Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Shannon -

If you have a DVD burner, you can use your DVD's to make a data backup of specific files, but you can't use DVD's to create an audio CD that, for example, plays in your car CD player or on a boombox.

I'm still not clear exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

What I'm getting from your comments, though, is that you don't fully understand the technology for making CD's or DVD's. If that's case (and no need to be embarrassed about it, lots of folks don't), let me know and we can walk through it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Shannon, I use Sonar and it gives all this data up front while BiaB does not, at least to my knowledge. So here is what I would do:
1-in BiaB click on file/export song as audio/export as 'songtitle'.wav where 'songtitle' is the title of your song
2-save song
3-right click on the saved song
4-click on properties/details
It should read Bit rate : 141 1kbps

Note that I am using Win 7 Pro but the procedure should be the same for XP, Win 8 and Win 8.1.

Note I am not sure as I don't save songs in BiaB but I think BiaB will only save songs in 141 1kbps x 16 bit so you are probably OK with that part.

NOTE - if you want feel free to PM me so I can send you my email. Then you can email the song to me and I'll take a look at it and I will try to burn it. That way you will know if your burner is bad or not. If I can't burn it then the wav may be corrupted. Have you tried to save either another song or this one again to see if it can be burned?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
John-Thank you!

Correct, I dont understand the rending the audio file dialog box method. Just so you and I are on the same page here, on the main biab screen, you have all these icons that you can click on, to then open up to dialog boxes. One icon says "wav" and its probably next to your "save as" icon. The 2nd icon has a cd with a checkmark on it and that is the "render to audio file". The "wav" icon and the "render to audio file" are the 2 rendering methods I am talking about. Before today, I was using the "wav" rendering method. Today going forward, Im am using the "cd/checkmark" icon-"render to audio file" dialog box method. I am a little concerned, but willing to give this method a try. Because I have watch the biab video on rendering (the latter part of the video) and read the written biab instructions as well, they are saying different things. I am concerned b/c I dont want to waste anymore blank cd-rs that I have (besides ive spent days on trying to figure this out-LOL!). So, yes i would love some help (as you mentioned) in walking me through this! smile

Shannon

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Mario-Have the bit rate info.

It is 1411kbps. smile So, what do ya think?

Shannon

Last edited by shannon88; 02/19/15 02:24 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: shannon88

Shannon

It's ok, that is what it should be.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Just tried to "batch" of all the songs from the "render of audio file" dialog box and this came up i.e. "an unknown device error has occurred (1051) extended error data-KEY: 5 ASC:21 ASCQ: 2"

Would this help of I burn something from itunes to see if my burner works?

Shannon

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
YEEEEEEES...SUCCESS...IT WORKED, that is, my little experiment!

I decided to try to burn a few non-biab song off itunes and burn them. The 1st try didnt work, as I had used the new batch of memorex cd-rs. 2nd try: I used sony cd-rs that Ive had for awhile and it worked. So, I know my burner works!

So now, Im going to see if the biab "batch" of songs with the sony cd-rs work or not. The memorex cd-r are going back to office max!

Shannon

Last edited by shannon88; 02/19/15 04:32 PM.
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Everyone and specifically Mario- Ok, I tried to burn with the "batch" of songs I had inside biab. I must of had 60 songs. It said it was a success, but when I went to play the biab songs of my stereo, all I got was a click track! LOL! Back to the drawing board. Again, at least I know my burner is working.

10 minutes later, I tried to burn with my burner with the sony cd-rs that ive had and this came up "the 'songtitle' wav file cannot be used. wrong file format. wav files must be 44k 16 bit stereo.

Mario regarding the bit rate error in the paragraph above?

Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: shannon88

Shannon

It's ok, that is what it should be.

I'm a bit confused about the value of 1411kbps (?)

The standard recording format of an audio CD is a two-channel 16-bit PCM (Pulse Coded Modulation) encoding at a sample rate of 44.1 kHz per channel.

In Video Production, audio recording is often recorded at 48KHz. But for Audio CD's, 44.1KHz is the virtually always used. This is the format for Compact Disc Audio recording that was jointly developed by Philips and Sony, and has been essentially the industry standard since about 1980.

If you have the capability to record at a different bit rate than 44.1KHz, no audio CD player is likely to be able to successfully read the disk.

Does this help clarify?

Best

Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Sorry Trevor, its over my head. Mario just asked about the bit rate and I gave the info to him. I can go, look and see. However I looked on the "render to audio file" and where it shows you the burn rate. Is that the same thing? I dont know. The highest the burn rate goes is 24x. I dont know if burn rate and bit rate are the same. FYI-Please dont get too technical on me though (lol), as tech things zing right over my head!

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Hi Trevor,

I looked at several of my biab songs that I want to burn and 4 out of 5 songs that I checked were 141 1kpbs. The one that didnt had 705. Hope that helps.

I feel like I am closer to the solution. I think the answer is in the "render song to audio file (cd with a checkmark icon)". Anyone has further ideas within that realm??? smile

Shannon

Last edited by shannon88; 02/19/15 08:36 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Shannon
Sorry to confuse you. No, the burn speed is something completely different.

Think of the bit rate as the 'clarity' of the sound - how many individual tiny samples are stored each 1 second to make up a specific sound.

Take one second's worth of music, break it up into tiny segments to store it. Obviously, the more tiny samples that can be stored, the better (more realistic) the result when it is read and reconstructed back into sound.

The burn rate is just how fast it takes for the CD burner to create the CD, i.e. to copy the samples onto the disk. It could take 5 minutes to actually copy the file to disk, or 20 minutes to copy the file to disk. Nevertheless, the result is the same file that is stored on the disk. The only difference is that one copy process is slower than the other.

Did I go easy on you (smile, I hope)

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Sometimes, it's a good idea to set the burn speed at something less than the maximum it can operate at.

Once the burn process starts, it essentially cannot be interrupted, even if the data isn't able to be supplied to the burner in time.

If the burner is trying to write data faster than the data can be delivered to the burner, you get a buffer under-run condition, and the burn process fails. Chuck the CD in the bin and start again.

Try setting your burn speed to something less than maximum (perhaps 3/4 of maximum). This can definitely improve reliability of your CD creation process.

Hope this tip assists.

Best

Trevor

Veteran
Veteran
Trevor and Shannon this is from Yahoo answers:

Why are all .WAV music files 1411kbps?
Was told .WAV is better than Apple Lossless, which is what I use to use, but in burning songs to my computer in .WAV file format they are all exactly 1411kbps is that normal and is ...show more
Best Answer

Simon answered 4 years ago

Wav is the industry standard for uncompressed lossless audio. Yes 1,411kbps is the raw bit rate for a audio CD. All audio CDs that you will burn will come out as 1411kbps music files. A Wav file will fluctuate in size depending on the source material you are encoding. For example, (without getting into to much detail) an audio CD like what you buy in the stores, all have a maximum resolution of 16-bit 44,100HZ. Doing the math, when that is encoded into Wav it will give you a bit rate of 1,411kbps.

Veteran
Veteran
Shannon you have a PM.

Also how old is your burner? Maybe it needs to be cleaned?
You might try one of these CD lens cleaner discs:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cd+lens+cleaner+disc

Bestbuy and other stores also sell them.

R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
FWIW:

(sample rate) * (bit depth) * (number of channels) = kbits per second

For example, 44 100 Hz, 16 bit stereo equates to (44 100 * 16 * 2) = 1411 kbps.

-Ron

Edit - Shannon I'll betcha that 705 Kbps file you mentioned was monophonic (ie. one channel.)

Veteran
Veteran
Shannon -

I'm not at my home computer, so I can't do screen shots (I can do that this evening, if necessary). I am assuming that you want to create an audio CD that you can play in your stereo CD player. Please let me know if that is an incorrect assumption.

You mentioned trying to burn 60 CD's. Unless your songs are about 1 minute each, there's no way you are going to get 60 songs on one CD.

Let's go back to the basics.

A CD-R (which stands for Compact Disc-Recordable) generally comes in two different sizes: either 650 MB (which represents 74 minutes of standard audio) or 700 MB (which represents 80 minutes of standard audio).

Standard audio is a WAV file. WAV files use about 10 MB of space per minute of audio. So with (on average) 3 1/2 minute songs, you can get about 20 or 21 songs max on an audio CD.

Audio CDs (like you buy in the store of your favorite artists) are laid out differently from data CDs. Audio CDs are designed to be played back using an audio CD player (which could be your computer, or a stereo audio CD deck or your car player). Just copying WAV files to a blank CD (essentially creating a DATA CD) is not the same thing as creating an audio CD. Most CD burning programs allow you to do both. The DATA CD will not play in your audio CD player***.

You asked about why you need a dedicated CD burning program. It's because what's built into Windows, or the Mini-Burn in BIAB are just very basic programs without many features.

My recommendation is to use BIAB to render your songs to WAV. Doing that, once a file is finished, you are allowed the opportunity to preview it (by default, I believe it brings up Windows Media Player), so you can hear if it rendered properly or if all you get are clicks. Repeat for each song, making note of where the file is saved (by default in the same folder location as the BIAB song).

Once you have the WAV files saved, then open your CD burning application (CDBurnerXP is free and it will create audio CDs). I use Nero on my computer, but you have to pay for it. Most CD burning apps allow you to create an audio compilation and just drag the WAV files into the compilation. They will let you know when you have exceeded the capacity of the blank CD.

For audio CDs, you also want to make sure you select the option to "close" or "finalize" the CD. If you don't, you'll find it won't play properly on any device other than the one you created it on.

I don't know if this helped; let us know. I can provide more information this evening (with screen shots), if necessary.

*** unless it's, for example, your car's dual system player that can play both audio CD's and MP3/WMA/WAV data CDs.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the clarification Mario! Same thing, just stated in a different way I guess

S
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
S
Yes.....Success.....Problem solved!!!!!!!

Initially, I rendered my songs by going to file>export song as wav and mp3, both. After this point, I was trying to get my rendered songs over to itunes and create a playlist and burn them from Itunes. I had bought a 100 pak of cd-rs for this occasion, but after a few days, I figured out it was my new cd-rs that were faulty (at least one of the reasons I was having problems). Also, I had figured out that my burning program from my computer was working properly. Another success. Meanwhile, I had tried to render through the "render to audio file" method and burn cd-rs from my burning program in my computer after I rendered. After trying to run the "batch" button from inside the "render song from audio file" dialog box, biab was still giving me fits. So, the first thing this morning, my intuition said to go back and render from file>export song to wav and save it. Then right click on the rendered song and go to "open to" and hit itunes. Create a playlist and burn the rendered songs and it FINALLY WORKED!!!

Initially (a couple days ago), when I was trying to render the songs with mp3s, go to itunes and burn, but the burn kept canceling. I know now to save with wav only instead of mp3s. Also I also had a bad batch of cd-rs.

Thank you so much all your help, so much appreciate it!

Shannon

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Thanks for the clarification Mario! Same thing, just stated in a different way I guess

I hear you. I've always called it 44.1 kHz also. I had to look it up initially as I had never heard of the other.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,109
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185