Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I'm iPad ignorant at this time, but I see that the iPad Air looks like a decent deal. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1011234-REG/apple_md788ll_a_16gb_ipad_air_wi_fi.html

I read the memory is not expandable so I need to know how much I'll need before I buy.

I plan to do music apps and read a magazine or two on it. If I can get the music off when I'm done I won't need to store it there. So how much memory do I need? Is the 16G model enough or should I spend $126 more for 64G? I know it's better to have than need, but will I need that much storage?

Is there any way to transfer files to and from a Windows computer, say if I get a lightning to USB cable? I like cable transfers better than wireless as my old wireless router is difficult to use (I don't have the manual anymore either).

If I can't get music and other files back and forth from the iPad to a Windows computer, it's a deal breaker for me.

I've never had an iOS product so this will be new for me. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking an iPad instead of a Droid tablet, because the way I understand it is that there are many more music apps for iPad than for Droids. I let the software choose my computer platform.

Thanks,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I have both an old iPad 2 and an iPhone 6, with quite a few indispensable music apps, and no Mac. I have had phones with 16 GB that worked fine as far as storage, though my current one is 64. The real problem with any iOS product is the internal memory limit of 1 GB when using more than one app at a time, not the app storage that you can buy as either 16 or 64 GB. If you don't multitask, 16 would probably be adequate. Correct, you cannot expand after purchase. I use an app, System Status, to clear RAM.

Yes, using iTunes and a Lightning to USB cable, you can transfer files from the device to the PC, as well as backup your whole device.

My favorite app is V-Control Pro, which I use to remote control my DAW (SONAR).

Somewhere on this forum is a post from about two years ago with a pretty good list of my music apps, and those used by others.

[EDIT] Wow, it's older than I thought. I went back four years. If you decide to get an iPad, maybe you could start a new thread asking about apps. I'll chip in what I think are good ones.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 02/21/15 01:31 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i vote for the 64GB the OS is getting bigger and the apps and data they create

you may find this link useful

ipad iOS music\multimedia links

you will need the camera connection kit if you plan on connecting anything to the ipad and possibly a powered usb hub depending on the power requirements of what you connec

if you get an apple tv device you screencast what's on your ipad

Last edited by pghboemike; 02/21/15 05:04 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've been doing pretty well with 64GB on my iPad and I keep quite a bit of stuff on mine. Since the memory is not expandable, I've always purchased the max that was available at the time I was buying. I've got about 4 GB of free memory right now but I keep thousands of songs and a couple of hundred ebooks on the device that could just as easily be kept in the cloud.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all.

But I'm still confused about one thing.

Matt says I can transfer files to and from my PC with the lightning to USB cable (which I see is supplied) and Mike says I need a camera connection kit.

I guess I could always use drop box but my internet connection is slow.

I might want to multitask with music apps (I really don't know at this time) so perhaps 64GB is worth the extra >$100

I'm getting it predominantly to read a couple of magazines that went digital only, and since I've also read that the majority of music apps are on the iPad rather than 'droid, I figure I may as well get the iPad. I have no idea what is out there, but I'll have fun finding new toys to play with.

Thanks again,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll clarify.

I use Dropbox when I can because it's faster and saves steps. I use iTunes to transfer pictures and songs, things that iTunes handles.

For apps that generate data, each one that I can think of has a way to share the data. That may be Dropbox, or email. This is one characteristic of apps that I consider before purchase.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i was thinking of a usb device, camera, midi controller, audio interface etc

ituens as matt said is your friend for files that it handles dropbox or something like it, of course apple wants you to pay for icloud storage after you exhaust the 5gb they provide, for most everything else

i happen to prefer the ipad mini for reading a it fits my hands better

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love what the mini looks and feels like, but I tested a PDF of a lead sheet on one in a store. I didn't think I would be able to use that in place of sheet music, whereas I can and do with a regular-size iPad.

One accessory that works really well for this purpose is the Bluetooth foot pedal for turning pages. I use the Airturn BT-105 Digit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again. Looks like Dropbox will be my friend.

I have an iPod with almost 10,000 tunes on it, but I don't use iTunes, I use CopyTrans manager. It keeps me out of the Apple store, and is much easier for me to use.

Most of my songs have been ripped from my own extensive LP and CD collection and the few that I bought, I got through Amazon as mp3 files.

The only time I use the iPod is when I'm in the car, so mp3 is fine.

Back to the iPad

It looks like 64G Ram and the Air

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 02/22/15 12:22 PM.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There are more music apps for IOS because it has low latency core audio and core midi built in. Camera connection kit needed for using USB audio/midi interfaces, if you don't have a purpose built device that the iPad plugs into. Garageband is an excellent app on IOS. The drawbar organ and electric pianos are worth the 5$ price alone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks!

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Bob check out the Ipad air 2. It has 2 gigs of ram memory and the latest (faster) cpu. Also go over to the
http://forum.audiob.us/ forum site. There's a lot of good info on apps and ipad hardware comments.
I'd go to the ipad air 2 and as much memory as you want to afford because you're going to live with this for awhile.
Hope this helps Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now 2 gigs RAM? Thanks, I didn't know that. It will make a difference when multitasking.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well the iPad arrived. I'm working through the basics, it's not much different from my cell phone, it just takes slightly different actions to do the same things.

The build seems good and the picture clear, of course, I expect this from Apple. I wasn't wild about the Safari browser, was surprised to find Firefox wants me to pay for it (it's free on my PCs) and since I like Dolphin on my 'driod phone I decided to try it on the iPad.

As soon as I get the basics down, I'll start playing with the music apps.

A lightning to USB cable came with it, but I haven't tried to hook it up to the computer yet. I hope it will work without opening the iTunes store. If not I'll register drop box.

Heavy weekend of gigging will slow the progress, next month's very busy too, so I'll take it step at a time.

Any music app suggestions are welcome.

This looks interesting http://www.shiverware.com/musixpro/index.html - anybody try it?

Thanks,
Bob

Off-Topic
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I have Musix Pro and quite like it. There are several options available for custom usage. I don't play the internal sounds very often instead opting for the MIDI out to other synth apps.

While Musix Pro is a nifty controller app, I much prefer Geo Synthesizer:

http://www.wizdommusic.com/products/geo_synthesizer.html

which is a controller that allows for more playing variation and has internal sounds that I find more appealing than Musix Pro.

Good luck and enjoy when you get the time.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I prefer the Chrome browser on my iPad and iPhone, and it's free.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keebo, Thanks.

What do you need to get MIDI out of the iPad for Musix Pro and/or the Geo. I have nice MIDI modules with tons of voices.

Is there any way to change the volume of the notes? I guess I could hook up a MIDI footswitch controller.

I find different controller configurations get me of my old fingering habits so I can discover new things.

Matt,

I like Chrome OK but Google is the advertising giant of the Internet, so I suspect they sell every little site I visit wink - seriously, I didn't like Chrome on the PC because I could accidentally close a half dozen open tabs with a mouse click. Firefox gives me a warning when I try to close multiple tabs.

Thanks to you both.

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Notes, to get midi in/out there are a couple of options:

1. You could go with an entire interface designed for the iPad - that has both audio and midi I/O. Here's one from Alesis that doesn't care if it's 30 pin old-school or lightning connection: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iODockII

2. There's the smaller sized option of something like the Griffin stuff: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioConLt

And then there are options that are a bit more tricky to get full functionality involving camera connection kits and whatnot.

The first music app I bought for my iPhone was Garageband. It's 5$. The drawbar organ and electric piano sounds are simply phenomenal - very very good and very likely better than any external sound modules you might have; particularly the drawbar organ. Now, when I was doing this I also bought an app which allowed MIDI control into Garageband so that I could use an Akai Synthstation 25 controller control the soft-synths inside. That app is called MIDI Bridge. I don't believe it's the case with the IO Dock.

The guitar amp simulation in Garageband for iOS is also remarkably good. If you want something other than that, you can use the freebie Amplitube stuff - there's a free Fender version - which if I remember correctly, there's black-face model in the free version; my favorite Fender Amp. I can't demonstrate any of this any longer because I no longer have my iPhone 4s.

iOS8 has a cool feature called Inter-App audio which acts like an internal digital patch bay, so you can use stuff like Amplitube simultaneously with Garageband and other audio apps.

But before you buy ANYTHING - if you have an Apple store nearby, take your favorite headphones over and fire up Garageband and pull up any of the keyboards (not the smart keyboards) and have a play. You'll be buying Garageband for 5$ after that, or just go ahead and buy it now, it's a fairly fun tool as a scratchpad DAW as well.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's a Behringer option for $99 similar to the IO Dock II

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/is202

WHEN I buy an iPad, this will be the unit I'll pick up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciish0zZeS8

Last edited by rockstar_not; 02/28/15 09:12 AM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195