Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, I'm iPad ignorant at this time, but I see that the iPad Air looks like a decent deal. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1011234-REG/apple_md788ll_a_16gb_ipad_air_wi_fi.html

I read the memory is not expandable so I need to know how much I'll need before I buy.

I plan to do music apps and read a magazine or two on it. If I can get the music off when I'm done I won't need to store it there. So how much memory do I need? Is the 16G model enough or should I spend $126 more for 64G? I know it's better to have than need, but will I need that much storage?

Is there any way to transfer files to and from a Windows computer, say if I get a lightning to USB cable? I like cable transfers better than wireless as my old wireless router is difficult to use (I don't have the manual anymore either).

If I can't get music and other files back and forth from the iPad to a Windows computer, it's a deal breaker for me.

I've never had an iOS product so this will be new for me. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking an iPad instead of a Droid tablet, because the way I understand it is that there are many more music apps for iPad than for Droids. I let the software choose my computer platform.

Thanks,
Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I have both an old iPad 2 and an iPhone 6, with quite a few indispensable music apps, and no Mac. I have had phones with 16 GB that worked fine as far as storage, though my current one is 64. The real problem with any iOS product is the internal memory limit of 1 GB when using more than one app at a time, not the app storage that you can buy as either 16 or 64 GB. If you don't multitask, 16 would probably be adequate. Correct, you cannot expand after purchase. I use an app, System Status, to clear RAM.

Yes, using iTunes and a Lightning to USB cable, you can transfer files from the device to the PC, as well as backup your whole device.

My favorite app is V-Control Pro, which I use to remote control my DAW (SONAR).

Somewhere on this forum is a post from about two years ago with a pretty good list of my music apps, and those used by others.

[EDIT] Wow, it's older than I thought. I went back four years. If you decide to get an iPad, maybe you could start a new thread asking about apps. I'll chip in what I think are good ones.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 02/21/15 01:31 PM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i vote for the 64GB the OS is getting bigger and the apps and data they create

you may find this link useful

ipad iOS music\multimedia links

you will need the camera connection kit if you plan on connecting anything to the ipad and possibly a powered usb hub depending on the power requirements of what you connec

if you get an apple tv device you screencast what's on your ipad

Last edited by pghboemike; 02/21/15 05:04 PM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I've been doing pretty well with 64GB on my iPad and I keep quite a bit of stuff on mine. Since the memory is not expandable, I've always purchased the max that was available at the time I was buying. I've got about 4 GB of free memory right now but I keep thousands of songs and a couple of hundred ebooks on the device that could just as easily be kept in the cloud.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks all.

But I'm still confused about one thing.

Matt says I can transfer files to and from my PC with the lightning to USB cable (which I see is supplied) and Mike says I need a camera connection kit.

I guess I could always use drop box but my internet connection is slow.

I might want to multitask with music apps (I really don't know at this time) so perhaps 64GB is worth the extra >$100

I'm getting it predominantly to read a couple of magazines that went digital only, and since I've also read that the majority of music apps are on the iPad rather than 'droid, I figure I may as well get the iPad. I have no idea what is out there, but I'll have fun finding new toys to play with.

Thanks again,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll clarify.

I use Dropbox when I can because it's faster and saves steps. I use iTunes to transfer pictures and songs, things that iTunes handles.

For apps that generate data, each one that I can think of has a way to share the data. That may be Dropbox, or email. This is one characteristic of apps that I consider before purchase.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
i was thinking of a usb device, camera, midi controller, audio interface etc

ituens as matt said is your friend for files that it handles dropbox or something like it, of course apple wants you to pay for icloud storage after you exhaust the 5gb they provide, for most everything else

i happen to prefer the ipad mini for reading a it fits my hands better

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love what the mini looks and feels like, but I tested a PDF of a lead sheet on one in a store. I didn't think I would be able to use that in place of sheet music, whereas I can and do with a regular-size iPad.

One accessory that works really well for this purpose is the Bluetooth foot pedal for turning pages. I use the Airturn BT-105 Digit.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again. Looks like Dropbox will be my friend.

I have an iPod with almost 10,000 tunes on it, but I don't use iTunes, I use CopyTrans manager. It keeps me out of the Apple store, and is much easier for me to use.

Most of my songs have been ripped from my own extensive LP and CD collection and the few that I bought, I got through Amazon as mp3 files.

The only time I use the iPod is when I'm in the car, so mp3 is fine.

Back to the iPad

It looks like 64G Ram and the Air

Thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 02/22/15 12:22 PM.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
There are more music apps for IOS because it has low latency core audio and core midi built in. Camera connection kit needed for using USB audio/midi interfaces, if you don't have a purpose built device that the iPad plugs into. Garageband is an excellent app on IOS. The drawbar organ and electric pianos are worth the 5$ price alone.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks!

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Bob check out the Ipad air 2. It has 2 gigs of ram memory and the latest (faster) cpu. Also go over to the
http://forum.audiob.us/ forum site. There's a lot of good info on apps and ipad hardware comments.
I'd go to the ipad air 2 and as much memory as you want to afford because you're going to live with this for awhile.
Hope this helps Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Now 2 gigs RAM? Thanks, I didn't know that. It will make a difference when multitasking.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well the iPad arrived. I'm working through the basics, it's not much different from my cell phone, it just takes slightly different actions to do the same things.

The build seems good and the picture clear, of course, I expect this from Apple. I wasn't wild about the Safari browser, was surprised to find Firefox wants me to pay for it (it's free on my PCs) and since I like Dolphin on my 'driod phone I decided to try it on the iPad.

As soon as I get the basics down, I'll start playing with the music apps.

A lightning to USB cable came with it, but I haven't tried to hook it up to the computer yet. I hope it will work without opening the iTunes store. If not I'll register drop box.

Heavy weekend of gigging will slow the progress, next month's very busy too, so I'll take it step at a time.

Any music app suggestions are welcome.

This looks interesting http://www.shiverware.com/musixpro/index.html - anybody try it?

Thanks,
Bob

Off-Topic
K
Apprentice
Apprentice
K
I have Musix Pro and quite like it. There are several options available for custom usage. I don't play the internal sounds very often instead opting for the MIDI out to other synth apps.

While Musix Pro is a nifty controller app, I much prefer Geo Synthesizer:

http://www.wizdommusic.com/products/geo_synthesizer.html

which is a controller that allows for more playing variation and has internal sounds that I find more appealing than Musix Pro.

Good luck and enjoy when you get the time.

See Personal Bio for system setup

My SoundClick Page
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I prefer the Chrome browser on my iPad and iPhone, and it's free.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Keebo, Thanks.

What do you need to get MIDI out of the iPad for Musix Pro and/or the Geo. I have nice MIDI modules with tons of voices.

Is there any way to change the volume of the notes? I guess I could hook up a MIDI footswitch controller.

I find different controller configurations get me of my old fingering habits so I can discover new things.

Matt,

I like Chrome OK but Google is the advertising giant of the Internet, so I suspect they sell every little site I visit wink - seriously, I didn't like Chrome on the PC because I could accidentally close a half dozen open tabs with a mouse click. Firefox gives me a warning when I try to close multiple tabs.

Thanks to you both.

Bob

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Notes, to get midi in/out there are a couple of options:

1. You could go with an entire interface designed for the iPad - that has both audio and midi I/O. Here's one from Alesis that doesn't care if it's 30 pin old-school or lightning connection: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iODockII

2. There's the smaller sized option of something like the Griffin stuff: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StudioConLt

And then there are options that are a bit more tricky to get full functionality involving camera connection kits and whatnot.

The first music app I bought for my iPhone was Garageband. It's 5$. The drawbar organ and electric piano sounds are simply phenomenal - very very good and very likely better than any external sound modules you might have; particularly the drawbar organ. Now, when I was doing this I also bought an app which allowed MIDI control into Garageband so that I could use an Akai Synthstation 25 controller control the soft-synths inside. That app is called MIDI Bridge. I don't believe it's the case with the IO Dock.

The guitar amp simulation in Garageband for iOS is also remarkably good. If you want something other than that, you can use the freebie Amplitube stuff - there's a free Fender version - which if I remember correctly, there's black-face model in the free version; my favorite Fender Amp. I can't demonstrate any of this any longer because I no longer have my iPhone 4s.

iOS8 has a cool feature called Inter-App audio which acts like an internal digital patch bay, so you can use stuff like Amplitube simultaneously with Garageband and other audio apps.

But before you buy ANYTHING - if you have an Apple store nearby, take your favorite headphones over and fire up Garageband and pull up any of the keyboards (not the smart keyboards) and have a play. You'll be buying Garageband for 5$ after that, or just go ahead and buy it now, it's a fairly fun tool as a scratchpad DAW as well.

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Here's a Behringer option for $99 similar to the IO Dock II

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/is202

WHEN I buy an iPad, this will be the unit I'll pick up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciish0zZeS8

Last edited by rockstar_not; 02/28/15 09:12 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks again for all this wonderful information.

I DL'd Garage Band and my first impression is that it looks like fun.

I do want to use my external MIDI modules so I'll be investigating the interfaces too.

I have a couple of synths, a half dozen sound modules, and a couple of hardware samplers and that gives me access to a few thousand instrument sounds. For example I can choose for guitars 335, tele front pup, tele rear pop, strat, les paul, and dozens more different guitar tones. I also have 18 different standard drum kits, that many jazz, brush, electric and other kits as well. I have B3 organ that the leslie speed is controlled from one of the continuous controllers. I don't mind adding new sounds, but on the other hand, I don't want to lose any either.

Things have slowed down for the weekend though. The oil pressure gauge went on in my van on the way home from the Gig on Friday, so I had to rent a van for Saturday. I have gigs on Tuesday and Thursday so hopefully the problem is minor and can be fixed on Monday - renting vans is expensive and time consuming - missing a gig is not an option.

All future suggestions are also appreciated.

Thanks again,
Bob

Off-Topic
S
S
As most iPad apps are built to run on older devices and don't need to store much data the cheapest iPad you can buy that is current will work fine. For comparability purposes of cabling anything with a Lightning Cable should be new enough to run almost any modern Music applications.

------
Shiverware
Maker of Musix Pro and SpeakBeat Metronome
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I had an iPad but it was getting on. Updates were no longer available. I found with only 16 gig i was having to move stuff or think about what I wanted. A few months ago I bought a new one 128 gig. I use very little of it but I don’t have to worry about room etc. For the extra peace of mind the extra cost was worth it. (Only about $150 or so after complaining that a poor ole pensioner needs the tool and a discount). OK Garage band is a nice toy I thought I would be laid up for some time and it would keep me amused but nah it is not my style. I converted my mixed tracks to MP3 and put my tracks on the iPad and listened on a different device which was good I found some nuances I did not like so edited a lot of my stuff yet again.

If you are going to use external interfaces etc on it make sure they can work with it. There is only one sound port and one Apple port. You can get a camera kit to connect other interfaces. You may need to supply external power to drive some devices as the iPad might not provide enough power. (I don’t use the iPad this way). I understand the MIDI keyboard I have will work fine with the iPad and they even supply tools with it.

My main uses for the iPad are mail, internet and I use it largely for these forums. I can sit in my lounge chair, relax and watch tv and the forums.

Tony

Last edited by Teunis; 11/16/18 02:38 AM.

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Wow, this thread back from the dead (zombie?)

Since March of 2015 at my last post I bought an iPod Air and am both happy and a bit disappointed with it.

Disappointed because it is very difficult to transfer files from my PC to the iPod without installing iTunes.

It's more difficult to get any serious work done on it that it is with a laptop. I knew that, but I didn't know how much more difficult.

Happy because for couch surfing, it's superb. That's about all I use it for, but it's a good use.

When it dies (everything has an expiration date) I'll probably get another.

Insights and incites by Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
You don't need an expensive iPad for that kind of thing. I bought an Amazon Fire HD 10 for $149 a few months ago mostly to use as a chart reader on gigs. There are several good ones for Android, I use Fakebook Pro that cost a whopping $3 along with iRealPro. Works great. When people say iPads have many more music apps than Android the question to ask is what kind of music apps are they talking about? Yes, Apple has many more synth and DAW apps plus controller apps for digital mixing boards and things like that but as far as your needs Notes, you don't care about that stuff. You have all your sounds and performance related stuff covered with your hardware. That leaves the basic tablet functions that makes IOS and Android equal.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Following

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
<...> That leaves the basic tablet functions that makes IOS and Android equal.

Bob

Thanks Bob. That can save me money.

I downloaded a number of music apps when I first got the iPad, and I admit, Garage Band was fun to play with for a while, then it got boring. The rest of the music apps I downloaded got perhaps 2-3 hours of play each at most. Some were too simple, some were just lame apps that begged for in-line purchases (not that I'm opposed to purchasing something I plan to use, but they were lame).

Leilani and I went to Australia this year and I took about 800 pictures. I wanted to move about 250 of them to the iPad to show to my family when we get together around Thanksgiving. I bought the Lightning to USB interface and found I still couldn't transfer the photos to the iPad.

With lots of googling I found I need iTunes to do this. I had iTunes when I had an iPod and really disliked it. So I searched for alternative methods, and they were not to my liking - too complicated or didn't work.

Solution, put a folder up on my web site, upload the pictures I wanted to transfer to the iPad (I found I had to shrink/resize them as +-6M hi-rez pictures take too long to upload/download), then go to each web page, one at a time, download and save to the camera roll in the iPad.

So what should have taken about 15 minutes unattended took many hours, 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, and in about a month it was done.

It's enough to make me dislike Apple. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes good hardware but while everybody else goes to universal standards, Apple tries it's hardest to be non-compatible in order to keep Apple people from buying anything competitive. And they've been that way since my first Mac computer (Classic II) that you couldn't even get into the case without a tool that Apple only sold to authorized Apple repair centers.

OK, enough Apple Rant. For those who like them and don't want to use anything but Apple, they are fine.

On stage I use ThinkPad laptops, my 2002 XP ThinkPad still plays my backing tracks and displays words and/or music charts, my newer Win7 does the same thing (one of my 2002 ThinkPads had an accident that messed up the hinge).

I use the newer, more powerful ThinkPads at home. They are quite reliable.

I thought about switching the ThinkPads to tablets on stage, but I like having the separate keyboard. While one file is playing, I can Alt-Tab which brings up file explorer, type a couple of letters which highlights the next song to play, when the first one is done, hit Enter and the next one starts immediately. When the dance floor is full, immediate is good.

Since I got the iPad in 2015 I'm happy with the service it's giving me. Apple does build good hardware, and my iPad is still working well. When it dies (everything has an expiration date) I'll look at the other options.

Insights and incites by Notes

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,646
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193