Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm looking for a way to "sing" MIDI solos while playing live. That would require some kind of analog to MIDI converter. I'd rather not use software because that dramatically complicates the setup.

Most hardware analog to MIDI converters use something like a GK-3 to capture string vibrations, but that wouldn't work for a mic. I need a device that you can plug a mic into, and a MIDI signal comes out the other end.

Anybody have links to something that might work?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There used to be a gadget from IVL called a Pitchrider. Not sure if it was designed specifically for Vocal use though.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
They must exist. I used a hardware device for this in the late 90s called Amadeus. Coupled with software, it could analyze the accuracy of playing.

Have you considered phone apps? My wife uses an iPhone app you sing into and it makes notation that can be exported as MIDI. I'll ask her the name later.

EDIT: found it; called ScoreCloud Express on the App Store. Reviews are divided; people love it or hate it. I remember trying it once and thinking that the better your musicianship is, the more accurately your singing can be notated. I have no idea if it would capture just singing if you were also playing an instrument at the same time.

Last edited by Matt Finley; 03/09/15 08:32 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, I showed you one when you were at my place. It's the Roland GI-10, and it serves a dual function: Converting a single-note analog input to a single-note MIDI out, and converting hex (up to six note) input from a GK-equipped device to up to six notes of MIDI out. It's a legacy device, over 20 years old, but I have bought two through eBay. (Don't ask—one was stolen.) The more recent GI-20, while reputed to have better tracking, lacks the quarter-inch analog input of the -10.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are three GI-10s listed on eBay right now, with Buy It Now prices ranging from $100-$145 plus shipping.

http://m.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Roland+GI-10&_pgn=1&LH_BIN=1

Last edited by Ryszard; 03/09/15 09:06 AM. Reason: Add qualifier

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
The question of converting an analogue sound to a midi output has been going round since just after midi was invented. Plenty of different manufacturers and plain ordinary experimenters have had moderate to good success with just one instrument at a time, but throw in more instruments and then things get confusing as to what will come out.
However Sibelius and Finale incorporated mic to notation a good few years ago, though how good that was depended on both the microphone used and the instrument in question.
The real problem isn't just one note, when with good hearing for pitch, you can say that is middle C or a even an F sharp, most analogue to midi systems can manage that, it is when it comes down to you or I can say it is a piano playing the C and a trumpet playing the F sharp is where systems fall apart and that is because we can identify the harmonic content of those notes, which gives us the means to identify what played them, and for different instruments there are many harmonics in some, I dread to think of a full display of one note from a sax for example.
So add all that lot to the human voice which is different for each person, I reckon that any conversion from A to M is going to be a struggle for either software or hardware to match successfully with every note sung, and even more so if another instrument is being played along side it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Exactly what I need Bob! Thanks! this version is 1/4" to a USB output, but they also have a similar device that is 1/4" to MIDI jack output, which is exactly what I need!

It only handles one note at a time, but for solos that's perfect!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, take heed of what Cornet Nev said. Try the thing first, but you may end up needing a head worn noise-canceling mic to get the most out if it.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Ryszard
Pat, take heed of what Cornet Nev said. Try the thing first, but you may end up needing a head worn noise-canceling mic to get the most out if it.

I'm not vouching for the sonuus. Never used it, but if it doesn't work well he can always return it.

The ad does state:

"You can even use the amazing Sonuus i2M musicport with your voice!"

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

You may also want to look at the Sonuus G2M. ++ Here ++ is a video showing the G2M with microphone/voice, electric guitar or therimm. There is also a bass specific version ++ Here ++ Both units are $79 and have built-in tuners.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks Jim
I too looked at the G2M
I would have preferred if the presenter 'sang' a song so that the actual melody could be heard. He seemed to concentrate only on 'effects', and never demonstrated 'singing vocal' to MIDI, which I think was what Pat was looking for.
Best
Trevor

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Pat,

You may also want to look at the Sonuus G2M. ++ Here ++ is a video showing the G2M with microphone/voice, electric guitar or therimm. There is also a bass specific version ++ Here ++ Both units are $79 and have built-in tuners.

actually, the G2M is what I ordered.

I talked to a Sweetwater rep on the phone today for quite a while about this application. The problem most people have when using a mic with a MIDI converter is that the human voice is really bad at achieving and maintaining pitch perfect tones, while MIDI conversion requires that.

But if you run the mic into a pitch correction device first, then run the pitch-corrected audio into the MIDI converter, that problem is largely solved.

And the same stepped autotuned sound that makes a voice sound unnatural will make the MIDI output sound more like an instrument (which is what I want for solos)

Part of the reason why Melodyne does a fairly good job of converting audio to MIDI is that it's generally been pitch-corrected before its exported as MIDI.

One ADVANTAGE of converting the voice to MIDI (as opposed to a guitar, for example) is that the voice doesn't generate accidental triggers like you get when you touch another string or don't get a clean pluck.

The Sweetwater guy asked me to make a video to demonstrate how it worked. If I actually do so, I'll post a link.

Last edited by Pat Marr; 03/09/15 07:50 PM.
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I wish you the best of luck Pat, the idea of using autotune first is a good idea too. As I was trying to point out earlier, the guy you spoke to on the phone about the human voice, more or less said the same thing in different words.

I will be interested in hearing how you get on with it and if possible a video, or even just a sound track, as I have had quite an interest in sound production and reproduction for a very long time.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Cornet Nev
I wish you the best of luck Pat, the idea of using autotune first is a good idea too. As I was trying to point out earlier, the guy you spoke to on the phone about the human voice, more or less said the same thing in different words.

I will be interested in hearing how you get on with it and if possible a video, or even just a sound track, as I have had quite an interest in sound production and reproduction for a very long time.

well,keep in mind, my intended use is for live performance, NOT for studio use. My opinion is that what I'm doing would NOT be good enough for studio application.

In live performances, typically 100% of the people listening are under the influence of alcohol. Live performances are typically happening at a quality that doesn't even remotely approach the quality of a recording.

People are USED to hearing bands with issues in tonality, timing, precision, balance etc. So if I get glitches in the MIDI under those circumstances, I would be far more OK with it than I would in a studio where I would have zero tolerance for glitches.

But I will do my best to make a video and post it because this is a topic that lots of people have brought up over and over again, and its worthy of exploration.

Thanks for your input! Good insights!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
"People are USED to hearing bands with issues in tonality, timing, precision, balance etc."

While that is generally true, good bands rehearse intensely to eliminate those sorts of issues. That's what separates the pros from the hacks.
Unless, of course, you just want to "phone it in". Plenty of bands do that.

Regards,

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Pat Marr

In live performances, typically 100% of the people listening are under the influence of alcohol.

HEY I resemble that remark smirk

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD

In live performances, typically 100% of the people listening are under the influence of alcohol.

Drunks. My favorite audience. grin

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
"People are USED to hearing bands with issues in tonality, timing, precision, balance etc."

While that is generally true, good bands rehearse intensely to eliminate those sorts of issues. That's what separates the pros from the hacks.
Unless, of course, you just want to "phone it in". Plenty of bands do that.

Regards,

Bob

I totally agree Bob. Good bands can actually sound BETTER than recordings because there's so much more energy and visual entertainment involved.

I'm talking about regular ol' run of the mill bands like the one I'm in. Around here, from what I've seen, the bar is not set real high.

I should have qualified my statement a lot better than I did.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: MarioD

Drunks. My favorite audience. grin

This isn't to suggest that all live audiences are flat out DRUNK... but there is usually alcohol available, as well as other distractions (frequently TVs, dinner conversation, the idiot at the next table, etc) so the attention to detail is not the same as it would be in the user showcase, where people are likely to be listening through pricey speakers or headphones specifically for the purpose of finding problems and offering constructive criticism.

The two music environments are similar in many ways, but different enough that I would take chances in the one environment that I would never take in the other. That's all I'm trying to say.

Converting a vocal to MIDI in order to get an extra part out of a 3 piece band is basically an act of desperation based on limited possibilities. In the studio, possibilities are almost endless, so there would be no need or incentive to take such a risk.

My basic philosophy: "do whatever ya gotta do"

Hopefully I'll be able to talk them into incorporating backing tracks. If I can do that, the voice to MIDI idea will get canned in a heartbeat.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,703
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 198