You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#287395 - 03/11/15 03:26 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad?
fantasyvn Offline
Apprentice

May I ask this question?

Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? By ‘modern’, I mean popular R&B artists in the last 10 years like Justin Timberlake, Alicia Keys, John Legend, etc.

Do you think the styles in BIAB are good enough?

On my part, I guess that you will need to replace the drum with midi patterns and sounds from sample libraries like EZDrummer, Addictive Drums, or loop libraries (Acid wav).

Then how about the bass, guitar, keyboard in BIAB? Are they suitable?
Thank you

#287396 - 03/11/15 03:50 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Hits? Probably not, but with a little massage you can create some stuff that'll get folks tapping their toes. The operative word is "create." One thing BIAB doesn't do is produce "hooks." That's where human inspiration and musical ability comes in.
When a program can write as good a piece of music as I can, I may quit. But right now software still requires human management.

Speaking from an all-MIDI standpoint, I discovered that putting BIAB in jukebox mode and having it autogenerate songs gives mixed, but interesting, results. About 85-90% of the tunes will be yawners, but every once in a while something will turn your head and make you replay what you just heard. Again, that's when it's time to roll up your sleeves and get to work.

I've also fooled around with Real instruments enough to know that they can be truly convincing in the right hands. If that's not enough, you can always make your own sounds and Styles. All I can say is, start digging through the library of Styles and instruments available to you, and (as the good Doctor say) HAVE FUN!

#287399 - 03/11/15 04:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

The question is not can BB do it... the real question is can YOU?

If you are asking can straight up BiaB create a radio ready R&B ballad.... the answer is "no". Not likely. Not in a believable way straight out of the box.

The possibility does exist however to create a R&B ballad song, using BB as one of the tools in the final project.... and to that I'd say a resounding "YES".

Kinda like carving a sculpture from a block of rock.... you have to be able, first, to see the finished project in the rock....or in this case, hear it in your head and then know how to use the tools to get that down on tracks and edited. Lots of things will affect the final version. Your editing skills, your ability to choose the right Bb/RB tracks, your ability to play or provide the tracks that BB/RB can not, and your production chops....

Probably not easy.... but do-able, just like using BB/RB to create any other radio ready genre song be it rock, jazz or country.

Listen to the songs some of the folks here produce.... Floyd, 90db Bob, R&AM, Tommyad, Greg, my music, and I know I'm missing a few others.... ... you will see the quality that you can achieve in a home studio using BB/RB as part of the tool kit available. I mix RB tracks with my live playing and then apply some other polishing to the projects.....

So yeah, it can be done....

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#287411 - 03/11/15 06:25 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Loc: Buford, GA
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Something like this?

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12644136

If so, you decide.

*** DISCLAIMER *** No self promotion intended. Just saving the OP some time, or, trying to.

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#287425 - 03/11/15 08:54 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
fantasyvn Offline
Apprentice

Thank you so much for your kind advice.

To MikeK: Your song is great. It is amazing what one can do with BIAB.

#287442 - 03/11/15 11:11 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
Jeff S Offline
Enthusiast

I used to think BIAB couldn't do metal very well and I proved it could. Like the others have mentioned, at face value BIAB will only give you the raw material. The real magic happens as you create what you have in your vision. That being said if you want a truly radio quality production you will need to have the project professionally mastered.

You can get close in a home studio with the right software but a professional will do amazing things to a mix. If I had the money I would like to have at least one of my songs professionally mixed and mastered. Considering all of my productions are created solely from realtracks it would be really cool to see how far BIAB tracks can pushed professionally.

#287445 - 03/11/15 11:46 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: MikeK]
Loc: Chicago
MusicStudent Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chicago
Originally Posted By: MikeK

Which version of BAIB came with Female Vocalist Realtracks? I need to get me some of that....
SoundCloud

#287483 - 03/11/15 02:05 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: MikeK]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Offline
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
BTW: Great track Mike!

BIAB, RB 2018(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Izotope Prod. Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M Studio Monitors, Pioneer Active Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#287539 - 03/11/15 07:07 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Can BIAB make a convincing modern R&B ballad? [Re: fantasyvn]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Thanks, guys! And no, Dan. The version of BIAB with this Lady doesn't exist, but I wish it did.

Yvonne J is the Lady and she is also a BIAB user... she has a ton of collaborations, but a lot of her own music, created with BIAB. Check her out on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Yvonnej1000

Appreciate the nice comments, though smile

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows Online Manual - Chord List & Shortcuts

Visit the Chord List of our Online Manual, and you'll see all the chords that can be used within the program! The list includes a few Tricky Chords and Shortcut Chords that you may find useful too!

Tricky Chords:
C5b This is "C flat 5." It is spelled this way to avoid confusion.
C2, C5, C4, C69, C7alt, Cm7#5
You can type C-7 for Cm7 (i.e. use the minus sign) or C7-9 for C7b9.

Shortcut Chords
If you enter a lot of songs, you will appreciate these shortcut keys.
J = Maj7
H = m7b5 (H stands for Half diminished)
D = dim
S = 7sus

There's even information on how to add your own chord shortcuts - check it out!

Video Request Answered - Creating Intros, Bridges, and Endings in Band-in-a-Box®

Check out the newest support video created by Kent that explains how to create intros, bridges, and endings in Band-in-a-Box®! Click here to view...

The Band-in-a-Box® SongPicker Feature

If you have a folder of songs that you'd always like easy access to within Band-in-a-Box, make sure you familiarize yourself with The SongPicker feature, which access the folder that you choose and lock it to!

Access the SongPicker by clicking on the [Song] button next to the title of the song within the main screen of Band-in-a-Box. The first time the SongPicker is opened, you can choose the folder to use to create the list by selecting [Change] and navigating to your preferred directory. Once chosen, select [OK - Make Song List], and Band-in-a-Box does the rest... the next time you click on [Song], you'll be taken directly to your preferred folder!

Learn even more about this feature within Chapter 5 of our Online Manual, here.

Just Launched - The FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

If you have a question (or questions!) about Band-in-a-Box®, PowerTracks, RealBand®, or any other PG Music Inc. product - whether it be technical support or pre-sales, there's now an easy one-stop spot to find the answer - our FAQ and Knowledge Base Forum!

Don't want to read through the 600+ posts? Use the Search FAQ option, and you can choose your key search terms to locate the topic and answer you're looking for!

Common pre-sales questions about our products, ordering, and delivery:
Pre-Sales

Technical support & troubleshooting by product:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Band-in-a-Box® for Mac
RealBand® for Windows
PowerTracks Pro® Audio for Windows
Other Products

There's even a Request New FAQs forum, if you didn't see your question answered anywhere!

Over 190 Saxophone RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box®!

Today's the day we say "Happy Birthday" to Adolphe Sax, the creator of the Saxophone!
(Adolphe was born November 6, 1814 - 32 years later he patended his saxophone creation!)

We have more than 190 Saxophone RealTracks available for Band-in-a-Box with the following RealTracks Sets - review the complete list here.

Check our our Saxophonist programs for Windows:
The Jazz Saxophonist
The Rock Saxophonist

Customers LOVE Band-in-a-Box®!

Here's some of the amazing feedback we've received lately, from program users just like you!

Arthritic fingers means I find it very difficult to play anything. This program is amazing - and it does use real musicians!
-Bob E.

The power of this program is just unbelievable! It's been a best kept secret for a couple of decades now. A song writer's dream!
-Mike D

This band can practice any time of day ...LOL
-William G

Band-in-a-Box works so simple you could teach a child to do it within minutes - the RealTracks are amazing. Doing an album as we speak. I challenge you to give it a try. I am 60 years old and even though I've played 50 years, I am no engineer. But as a song writer I needed some effective tools to create quality production of my work. This is IT! It's as easy as typing and filling in the blanks. The instructional videos allow you to change settings while watching the pro. I myself purchased every "RealTrack" I could get... Take it from me, don't let this overwhelm you. It is absolutely a writer and solo artist dream!
-John S

Best part of Band-in-a-Box is that it saves me having to program drums, the Real Drummer part of the software is brilliant and natural sounding. I then layer real instruments with guys from my band. As a songwriter, Band-in-a-Box has saved me so much time it's ridiculous.
-Andy B

Incredible Software. Great for ignorance and experts and for anyone who wants to deal with music. If you do not have a hobby and want to have one "Band-in-a-Box" is the best choice. Simple, but if you want to be an expert on it, you need to make an effort to master it perfectly for perfect use. The only disadvantage is if you do not want to become a musician, and use it, you will become a perfect musician. Therefore, be cautious. It's not a toy. ;)
-Ilija B.

Been a BIAB man since '92, such a comprehensive source for music making! So much more to offer than "loops", it allows actual music composition to be realized. Evolve from harmonic ignorance and find out what REAL music is made of!
-Don D.

A must for any musician who wants to improve on his own, or to share his musical ideas in a professional high quality rendition.. You just play with the best musicians and that's great ♪ :)
-Jean-Marie D.

I use Band in a Box all the time. I couldn't be more pleased. It's easy to use and it sounds super-big time!
-Max R.

An excellent tool for generating backing tracks. Saves me hours of MIDI programming. Combines the best of MIDI and live audio samples.
-Steve A.

Video Help - My Band-in-a-Box® Won't Open!

Our NEW I want a video that shows me how to .... forum is off to a GREAT start! We've answered the common question/issue of "My program won't open!" with the following video: How To: Return to Factory Settings outside Band-in-a-Box (Win).

Want to see a video about a particular issue your having with the program? Post your request here, we're happy to help!!

Forum Stats
28194 Members
59 Forums
54868 Topics
454845 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Georgia Davis, TinaHa, Sylvia DE, Maisha, konon

28193 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 193
Rustyspoon# 143