Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post
Options
Index
#291287 - 04/12/15 01:04 AM [User Showcase] Vanish
gruverider Offline
Expert

https://soundcloud.com/lawrence-olivier/vanish

1814 Guitar, 1173 Accordion, 1422 Piano, 2448 Guitar, 1175 Guitar, 2475 Bass (a lot of popcalypso)

Vanish (3- 11 -2012)

I think I'm gonna vanish today/ I think that I'll just up and slip away
Been feeling kind of weary, tired let's just say/ I think I'm gonna vanish today
I'm not really feeling social right now/ wish I could jump the moon just like the cow
nothing oh so serious just feeling kinda down/ wish that I could vanish somehow

I put all of my money in this truck/ the seller said that she would bring me luck
but most days she just sleep there in my yard/ I don't think she could really get me far
I throw all my belongings in her bed/ I'm the kind that goes where he is led
visions of a perfect life swimming in my head/ I'll settle now for vanishing instead
and oh come a rain/ a cold wind blowing my way

I turn the key and head on down the road/ and wave goodbye to Harlequin my crow
sometimes I think there ain't a thing in this world he don't know/ a philosopher that flies both high and low
I travel by the stars at night, I sleep during the day/ where ever my heart takes me is where I stop to stay
I study on just how my path got turned around this way/ I think I'm gonna vanish today
and oh come a rain/ a cold wind blowing my way

I think I'm gonna vanish today/ me and this old truck and slip away
I wonder bout ol Harlequin and what he'd have to say
I think I'm gonna vanish/ I think I'm gonna vanish/ I think I'm gonna vanish today

Edited by gruverider (04/12/15 09:15 AM)

#291289 - 04/12/15 01:54 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Australia
Noel96 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Australia
Hi Lawrence,

This is a truly incredible listen and is inspired songwriting at its very best.

Words that popped into my mind as I sat here with your music playing were: desolation, isolation, abandoned, lonely, depressed, vacant, lost.

It is outstanding how your lyrics, your music and your performance work together to paint an incredibly vivid portrait of a weary soul who is struggling with bleakness of spirit. You manage to resonate with the human psyche through the skilful use of musical prosody at its ultimate.

I honestly don't think there would be a person on earth who could not identify with this song on some level. Such a powerful listen.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I thought Harlequin the crow was a terrific character to incorporate. From literature and folk lore, the crow has many connotations associated with it and its colour. Also, by identifying it with Harlequin, the image metaphor takes a whole new twist.

#291292 - 04/12/15 04:29 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
VideoTrack Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Lawrence

a great song, but most importantly, sensational lyrics.

I really liked the build - very slow and gradual.

It's not hard to imagine the situation, the sad but believable tale of how the song is portrayed

Really great write. You'd be pretty pleased with the outcome I guess.

Thanks again
Trevor
BIAB&RB2019(Audiophile),Win-10Pro, SonarPlatinum, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, KorgX3R, RodeNGT2, AM802mixer, NS40M StudioMonitors, Pioneer Act. Mons, AKG K271 Studio H'phones

#291293 - 04/12/15 04:58 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Guitarhacker Offline
Veteran

I like this.

Add nothing that adds nothing to the music

#291296 - 04/12/15 05:09 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Woodstock, NY
rsdean Offline
Veteran

Loc: Woodstock, NY
Lawrence,

This is a new favorite for me. I'm a big fan. Extraordinary song with an outstanding arrangement and vocal.

Bob

#291297 - 04/12/15 05:10 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: South Carolina
Charlie Fogle Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Carolina
Poetry in motion. A man and his truck. This is really nice and kept my interest from start to finish. Good performance, mix and your vocals were spot on.

Charlie

#291305 - 04/12/15 07:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Scotland
George Nelson Offline
Expert

Loc: Scotland
Hi Lawrence,

Very nice song, I loved it.

You have the knack of writing what many people may be feeling at times in their life.

George

#291316 - 04/12/15 08:45 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
boehm Offline
Veteran

Loc: Karlsruhe, Germany
Hi Lawrence,

great poetry and an awesome performance.
I like your vocals a lot.

Guenter

#291317 - 04/12/15 10:01 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Florida, USA
cubanpete Offline
Expert

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi Lawrence, Since I'm late listening to this one and most of what I would have said is said, I just say, great all around!

Mike B.

Edited by cubanpete (04/12/15 10:01 AM)

#291323 - 04/12/15 11:02 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Davis, CA
Greg Johnson Offline
Veteran

Loc: Davis, CA
WOW!!! Beautiful!! Wonderful, high-impact melancholy writing. Really captures "the blues" where nothing is that bad but you just feel sad. Reminds me of "Sunday Morning Coming Down". The vocal performance is stellar. There's something in the recording/mixing of it that is not as good as I feel it could be (maybe too far from the mic or too much room sound) but the performance is mind-blowingly good. This is probably my favorite of favorites of yours! Take care. Greg

#291329 - 04/12/15 01:06 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Sacramento, California
dcuny Offline
Veteran

Loc: Sacramento, California
What they said. laugh

This is a really terrific song - evocative writing, great singing, wonderful arrangement. I particularly like where you leave holes instead of filling everything up with words.

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?

#291363 - 04/12/15 08:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: Guitarhacker]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Lawrence,

This is a truly incredible listen and is inspired songwriting at its very best.

Words that popped into my mind as I sat here with your music playing were: desolation, isolation, abandoned, lonely, depressed, vacant, lost.

It is outstanding how your lyrics, your music and your performance work together to paint an incredibly vivid portrait of a weary soul who is struggling with bleakness of spirit. You manage to resonate with the human psyche through the skilful use of musical prosody at its ultimate.

I honestly don't think there would be a person on earth who could not identify with this song on some level. Such a powerful listen.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I thought Harlequin the crow was a terrific character to incorporate. From literature and folk lore, the crow has many connotations associated with it and its colour. Also, by identifying it with Harlequin, the image metaphor takes a whole new twist.
Noel, thank you for your kind comments. It's good to hear that the song resonates on the level I was aiming for.

Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
Lawrence

a great song, but most importantly, sensational lyrics.

I really liked the build - very slow and gradual.

It's not hard to imagine the situation, the sad but believable tale of how the song is portrayed

Really great write. You'd be pretty pleased with the outcome I guess.

Thanks again
Trevor
Trevor, thank you for listening and for taking time to let me know how the song struck you. I glad that you liked it.

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
I like this.
Herb, thank you.

#291375 - 04/13/15 12:06 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: New Zealand
RichMac Offline
Expert

Loc: New Zealand
Hi Lawrence. Like this song. Reading the lyrics I expected it to be very sad but on listening found it quite delightful.
Wistful perhaps. And very well done.
Can certainly relate to the characters in your songs. Cheers.

#291376 - 04/13/15 01:08 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Bulgaria, Sofia
Ognian Petrov Offline

Loc: Bulgaria, Sofia
Very good, touching and inspiring song. Very well produced too. Keep up the good work!

#291388 - 04/13/15 06:03 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: Florida
floyd jane Offline
Veteran

Lawrence,

A terrific write.

"I put all of my money in this truck/ the seller said that she would bring me luck
but most days she just sleep there in my yard/ I don't think she could really get me far"

...nice.

Nice arrangement. I like how you brought the accordion in at the end in such a subtle way. Good build throughout.

"and oh come a rain/ a cold wind blowing my way"
- love your vocal on that...

Enjoyed.

floyd

#291389 - 04/13/15 06:17 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: Greg Johnson]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: rsdean
Lawrence,

This is a new favorite for me. I'm a big fan. Extraordinary song with an outstanding arrangement and vocal.

Bob
Thank you Bob. I'm glad it struck a chord with you.

Originally Posted By: c_fogle
Poetry in motion. A man and his truck. This is really nice and kept my interest from start to finish. Good performance, mix and your vocals were spot on.

Charlie
Charlie, thanks for taking time to comment and I'm glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: George Nelson
Hi Lawrence,

Very nice song, I loved it.

You have the knack of writing what many people may be feeling at times in their life.

George
George, I appreciate your kind words.

Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Lawrence,

great poetry and an awesome performance.
I like your vocals a lot.

Guenter
Guenter, thank you for listening and taking time to comment.

Originally Posted By: cubanpete
Hi Lawrence, Since I'm late listening to this one and most of what I would have said is said, I just say, great all around!

Mike B.
Mike thanks for stopping in for a listen.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! Beautiful!! Wonderful, high-impact melancholy writing. Really captures "the blues" where nothing is that bad but you just feel sad. Reminds me of "Sunday Morning Coming Down". The vocal performance is stellar. There's something in the recording/mixing of it that is not as good as I feel it could be (maybe too far from the mic or too much room sound) but the performance is mind-blowingly good. This is probably my favorite of favorites of yours! Take care. Greg
Greg, I tweaked the effects on the vocal and replaced the first version but I don't know if I really changed anything. If you listen again please let me know. And thank you for your very generous and kind comment.

#291391 - 04/13/15 06:31 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
90 dB Offline
Veteran

Lawrence - Beautiful stuff. Am I hearing Katrina in that Harlequin reference? I love a lyric that makes me think. I hardly ever do that any more. grin

Love that thing you got goin on.

Regards,

Bob

https://90dbband.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/90-db

#291392 - 04/13/15 06:39 AM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: Charlie Fogle]
Loc: South Africa
JoanneCooper Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Africa
Lawrence - This is just terrific. What an excellent write. Sometimes I wish I could also just vanish for a few hours. Great song. Great vocals. Great production. What else can I say.

#291418 - 04/13/15 01:11 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: Ognian Petrov]
gruverider Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: dcuny
What they said. laugh

This is a really terrific song - evocative writing, great singing, wonderful arrangement. I particularly like where you leave holes instead of filling everything up with words.
dcuny, thank you. Yes, I like a bit of space when I can pull it off in a song.
Originally Posted By: RichMac
Hi Lawrence. Like this song. Reading the lyrics I expected it to be very sad but on listening found it quite delightful.
Wistful perhaps. And very well done.
Can certainly relate to the characters in your songs. Cheers.
Rich, thank you. I didn't want to write just another sad song but at the same time "sad" is certainly ripe for material.
Originally Posted By: Ognian Petrov
Very good, touching and inspiring song. Very well produced too. Keep up the good work!
Thank you for stopping in to listen and comment.

#291431 - 04/13/15 03:35 PM [User Showcase] Re: Vanish [Re: gruverider]
Loc: York, England
ROG Offline
Veteran

Loc: York, England
Hi Lawrence.

I just came across this at approaching midnight here in the UK.

I listened to this first of all on the headphones and then, for some reason I'm not sure about, I put it up on the main monitors and turned off all the lights. That's definitely the way to listen to this song. A very moving an eerie experience indeed.

I'm still not sure whether to take the lyrics at face value, or to treat them as one long metaphor, but either way it's an impressive piece of writing.

ROG.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Notation Enhancements in Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows!

There are Notation Enhancements in the NEW Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! These include:
•A new button in the Print Options dialog which lets you quickly print a "chords only" fake sheet. You can also access this from the right-click menu on the chord sheet.
•A new track type (Drums) is now available for The Melody and Soloist tracks.
•Clicking close to a stave line will put a note on the stave line instead of between stave lines. (Previously, you had to click extremely close to a stave line to insert a note on The line.)
•Double-clicking on the Standard mode Notation window (or on the time line in Editable or Staff Roll mode) plays the song from the current time location. Previously, it played the song from the beginning of the current bar.
•Holding down the [Ctrl] key and pressing the zoom in/out buttons results in finest possible incremental adjustment in size.
•In The Notation Windows Options dialog, The clefs split point asterisk indicates that C5* is middle C.
•Pressing The space bar plays the song from the current time location, not the current bar.
•The clefs split point can be set by the spin controls.
•The right-click menu in the Editable or Staff Roll mode Notation window has an option to change the current beat resolution. Previously, the only way to do this was to right-click on the time line.
•There's a keystroke entry notation mode - the 'N' mode, which lets you enter a melody entirely using keystrokes. The keystrokes are N to enter a note, up/down cursor to change its pitch, and left/right cursor to move the time line.
•You can now edit any track in the Event List Editor. When The dialog opens, it will show you the MIDI data in the current Notation track.
•You can quickly enter forced accidentals from the right-click menu.

We talk about these new features within our Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content! video:
25:45 - New Features: Easy Entering of Notation with the 'N' Key
36:48 - Change Beat Resolution From the Right-Click Menu
37:15 - Easier Entry of Notes on Lines
37:42 - Asterisk to Indicate Middle C on & Spin Controls
37:53 - Force Accidental from the Right-Click Menu
38:01 - Edit Any Track in the Event List
38:09 - Keystroke Note Entry Mode 'N' for Faster Note Entry
38:28 - Print Chords Only Fake Sheet
38:32 - More Control of Notation Size

Rather read about it?
-Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual
-New Feature Summary - Notation Enhancements

The New Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows SongPicker!

With Band-in-a-Box® 2019, the SongPicker has been redesigned!
-The completely redesigned window shows information for up to 50,000 songs.
-The song list build is much faster. Approximately 150 songs get added per second.
-A progress bar will appear if the song list build takes longer than 3 seconds.
-You can see the chord progression for the selected song in the list. You can copy and paste it to a text file.
-Many filters are available. You can filter the list by subfolders, genre, feel, time signature, style, songs with melody, soloist, lyrics, key signature, tempo range, and the year of file dates.
-You can search songs that have similar chord progressions and/or melody fragments.
-Hotkey! ss+enter opens the SongPicker, ss2+enter opens the Recently Played Songs, etc.

Learn more about the updates with our New Features Video - we've made it easy to find the section you'll need:
2:55 - New Feature: Redesigned SongPicker
21:58 - New Features: SongPicker Enhancements
41:10 - Now Over 10,600 Titles in SongPicker

You can also read all about the new SongPicker within our Online Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® Upgrade Manual.

RealBand 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest RealBand 2019 for Windows program manuals!

RealBand 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
RealBand 2019 for Windows New Features Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download

RealBand 2019 is included in every purchase of Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows! We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Online and PDF Manuals Available!

Visit our Online Manuals support page for access to the latest Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows program manuals!

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows User's Guide: Online Manual | PDF Download
Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade Manual: Online Manual | PDF Download

Don't forget.... We're having a SALE on Band-in-a-Box® 2019 Upgrade purchases until December 31, 2018 - save over 40% when you purchase your Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows Upgrade! Check out our Band-in-a-Box® packages page for all the purchase options available

Band-in-a-Box® 2019 on a USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Speed Thrills!

We're excited to say that all Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows UltraPAK and UltraPAK+ orders now ship on a USB 3.0 hard drive!

What does this mean? Faster hard drive transfer rates will enhance the program operations (faster time to generate tracks, reduced audio artifacts) and offer faster transfer speeds (typically up to 3x faster)!

It's a great time to order your UltraPAK or UltraPAK+ Upgrade... they're ON SALE until December 31st!

Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows® New Features!

Our "Band-in-a-Box® 2019 for Windows®! New Features, RealTracks, and other content!" video is now ready! Get to know all about the newest features in Band-in-a-Box® 2019: Click here to watch...

We have listed a table of contents for this video, you'll see it within the YouTube video description, or by visiting this forum post.

RealBand 2019 - A New Look!

Have you opened up your RealBand 2019 yet? You may notice that we've given it a fresh new look! In fact, there are now 3 different looks to RealBand.

See for yourself! Within the program, visit Options | Icon Set and choose from: Classic, Modern 1, or Modern 2.

Forum Stats
28462 Members
58 Forums
55323 Topics
460972 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Hennryparth, fontenay, Jonbouy, AGT, bobl6289

28462 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 391
Pipeline 341